• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    I wonder if I'm the only film score fan that it happens to, but there are certain cues where I can't help laughing, even though the compositions are entirely serious.

First of all there's track 7 from Kaczmarek's impressive "Quo vadis" score. That guy screaming, it just brings tears in my eyes from laughing. It's probably meant to be solemn and sorrowful, but I just can't control myself when he gets going.

Another track that I giggle at, is an amazing theme from an amazing score, namely the main title from Barry's "The lion in winter". It's so very odd that I can't help find it funny, because I truly worship this music, but there's just something about the sudden chanting that seems funny to me. It's a truly strange experience finding something cool and silly at the same time.

So should I get myself committed to a mental institution, or does anyone else react in this way to certain cues that are meant to be taken seriously?

Peter smile
  1. As much as I love Lair, that woman´s crying over the final track is just too much. The whole score is over the top, but this one is just utter nonsense. I always imagine what it must have been like to be in the studio when they made her doing that. I can´t help but see Debney ROFLing over this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    I must always laugh when I hear Gabriel Yared's Mourning Women from Troy. Sounds like a Gladiator parody. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    plindboe wrote
    First of all there's track 7 from Kaczmarek's impressive "Quo vadis" score. That guy screaming, it just brings tears in my eyes from laughing. It's probably meant to be solemn and sorrowful, but I just can't control myself when he gets going.

That guy screaming, it just brings tears in my eyes from sadness wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    As much as I love Lair, that woman´s crying over the final track is just too much. The whole score is over the top, but this one is just utter nonsense. I always imagine what it must have been like to be in the studio when they made her doing that. I can´t help but see Debney ROFLing over this.

Interesting as i'd say i'm giggling virtually throughout the whole score for LAIR but that's a complex matter and since nobody else seems to sympathize, let's leave it as it is wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The Birds On The new world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    As much as I love Lair, that woman´s crying over the final track is just too much. The whole score is over the top, but this one is just utter nonsense. I always imagine what it must have been like to be in the studio when they made her doing that. I can´t help but see Debney ROFLing over this.

Interesting as i'd say i'm giggling virtually throughout the whole score for LAIR but that's a complex matter and since nobody else seems to sympathize, let's leave it as it is wink

Exactly, nobody sympathises! Leave it as it is, a masterpiece! wink

Going back to the topic, I can´t stand the synth moments in Goldsmith´s Rambo scores. Was it necessary? Why the hell did he do it? crazy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pffffffff tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Seriously, you´ll make a Jordi with "Lair" someday. It´s a matter of time biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    In Doyle's recent soundtrack to Sleuth, I can't help but cackle when Michael Caine evilly says, "I've always longed for an intimate chat with a hairdresser," and then Jude Law screams, "I'm NOT A HAIRDRESSER!!" It's such a bizarre moment, and knowing nothing about the film, it simply makes me laugh. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Seriously, you´ll make a Jordi with "Lair" someday. It´s a matter of time biggrin

Ah, for this to happen it primarily means that i shall be playing the score at least once again. And i don't think i'll ever be able to stop giggling when i hear Lisbeth Scott's pretentious moanings in Lair.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007 edited
    John Williams' Thomas and the King

What a load of rubbish!!! Williams' only musical and I pray that it is his last. Truly awful!

Another one...

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!

Excellent score by Rosenman but the choral rendition of his Robocop theme from Robocop 2 is so bad and unintentionally funny that it even made my wife laugh!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    John Williams' Thomas and the King

What a load of rubbish!!! Williams' only musical and I pray that it is his last. Truly awful!

Another one...

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!

Excellent score by Rosenman but the choral rendition of his Robocop theme from Robocop 2 is so bad and unintentionally funny that it even made my wife laugh!

-Erik-

Hmmmmm? I find that one more painful than funny.

Anyone remember the goofy theme from Return Of The Blob? Nutty as f**k! dizzy

Edited to add : Actually, looking on IMDB I believe this film was called Beware! The Blob and it was directed by J.R. Ewing himself Larry Hagman shocked dizzy

The music is by Mort Garson ( no, me neither ) and is truly nutty.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    The Birds On The new world.

Awwww man? I LIKE those tweety birds slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hhehe. And Gomez does so as well!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    The spoken introduction in Conan the Barbarian. The guy's voice just cracks me up. Can't say why. Always has done, always will do. The score kicks serious ass, of course.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hhehe. And Gomez does so as well!

Yeah.....and some! shocked cool
  2. ROBOOOOOOOCOOOOOP?!

Oh yeah, that one must be the most agonizing choir in score history.

Does anybody know of a worse one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cliff Eidelman's singing voice in "My Muse" shame biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    ROBOOOOOOOCOOOOOP?!

Not that I can think of, at least not in a big budget film where the score should be taken seriously? I always thought Rosenman was patronising the audience with Robo 2.
  3. When he did the very same thematic material again that he already used in LOTR and ST IV, I knew this score had a problem. Then the choir started...
  4. Jim Carrey when he sings along with the Who's in 'He Carves The Roast Beast' on How the Grinch Stole Christmas. But I guess that's the character/actor who's funny, not the music. smile
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    Intended for laughs: The first track of Chicken Run made laugh (before I'd even seen the movie and knew what was happening). The music is just so funny.

The opening track from Polar Express made me laugh out loud because it's so funny and energetic.

Not intended for laughs: Tomb Raider, because it was put together so quickly that it seems Revell didn't even have time to adjust the tempo of his drumloops..., so it seems he's got several loops playing at the same time but in different tempos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Phew, glad I'm not the only one!

I've just listened to Troy's "Mourning women" and I do agree that that one is pretty funny as well. It's so bad I can't help but laugh. Luckily the rest of the score is pure quality.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Another one that makes me laugh out loud is not music per se, but the dialogue on Poledouris' "Adventures of Conan". Anyone else have heard this one? That guy playing the baddie is ridiculously funny, worst overacting ever.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited
    Yes, that dialogue is over the top and fun, but I find exactly that totally fitting to the whole film, so I giggle, but I think I´m supposed to.
    -----
    Secretary of Giggling
  5. plindboe wrote
    Phew, glad I'm not the only one!

I've just listened to Troy's "Mourning women" and I do agree that that one is pretty funny as well. It's so bad I can't help but laugh. Luckily the rest of the score is pure quality.

Peter biggrin

Funny?!

I can't listen to that cue all the way through with all that wailing. :shudder:
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    "Dorie the hero" from Pearl Harbor in "the final Charges" from The last Samurai. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    ROBOOOOOOOCOOOOOP?!

VIVA VAN HELSING! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Demetris, what exactly is your gripe with LAIR??