• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    I found a piece on YouTube played by an amateur that I wanted to share on this forum, but I wasn't sure which thread to put it. So I thought I might as well start a thread dedicated to the brilliant amateurs on YouTube (and similar websites).

It's a rather obscure piece, but hopefully people here will still enjoy it. The composer is Naoki Sato, the music is from a 2001 anime called "X", and the piece is called "Destiny": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OZSaJ0eG14

I found out about this "Destiny" piece on Streaming Soundtracks a couple of days ago, so I don't have the album. I just fell for it instantly. Animes continue to provide extraordinary music, it's almost beyond belief how much extraordinary music lies hidden in these obscure, silly cartoons of people with big eyes and super powers flying around.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    It's a very simple little melancholic melody...but damn, it does work.
    I much like his dynamics as well. A very fine interpretation.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    Very glad you liked it, Martijn. It is indeed a great piece, and the performance is simply exquisite. That guy has performed other pieces excellently as well, though I haven't heard them all yet. It's probably easiest to enjoy the performances if one knows the themes beforehand, and that dude tends to play rather obscure stuff.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    I didn't really like the melody, but a nice performance nonetheless.

I really loved this performance of Menken/Schwartz's "Out There" by some high school string players from a recital in 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5LdwoEy1Y

Their intonation is pretty bad at first, but the sheer emotion coming from these kids is just unbelievable!