• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009
    Am I the only one here who goes through an odd cycle of moving from a craving for (and listening to only) one particular music genre to the next, then to another, etc.? For instance, I have noticed that for a certain unknown reason, I will go days to weeks listening to only classical music, then suddenly switch my focus to virtually only film music for a good amount of time, then back to classical, or to something else. I am currently in a jazz fixation, it would seem, and most other music just isn't hitting me as hard as it would any other time. I try to branch out to classical and film music, but most of the time today it leaves me feeling empty and wanting to go back to jazz. And other times I'll feel the same way about jazz when listening to film music, or when listening to classical music, etc. Does anyone else go through these odd, random cycles of music-genre-craving?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    These days for me it is pretty much classical and film which I easily switch back and forth.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I listen to all kinds of music all at once. No phasing for me. But film music always gets the upper hand I have to admit.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    William wrote
    Am I the only one here who goes through an odd cycle of moving from a craving for (and listening to only) one particular music genre to the next, then to another, etc.? For instance, I have noticed that for a certain unknown reason, I will go days to weeks listening to only classical music, then suddenly switch my focus to virtually only film music for a good amount of time, then back to classical, or to something else. I am currently in a jazz fixation, it would seem, and most other music just isn't hitting me as hard as it would any other time. I try to branch out to classical and film music, but most of the time today it leaves me feeling empty and wanting to go back to jazz. And other times I'll feel the same way about jazz when listening to film music, or when listening to classical music, etc. Does anyone else go through these odd, random cycles of music-genre-craving?

Yes, all the time. I listen to all kinds of music - rock, pop, electronic, classical, jazz, film music and so on - and I would go nuts if I only could listen to one of them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote

Yes, all the time. I listen to all kinds of music - rock, pop, electronic, classical, jazz, film music and so on

Me too. beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm apparently one of the few who only listens to film scores, apart from a little classical music. Not much phasing for me. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    William wrote

Yes, all the time. I listen to all kinds of music - rock, pop, electronic, classical, jazz, film music and so on - and I would go nuts if I only could listen to one of them.

That's my mantra exactly!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    William wrote

That's my mantra exactly!

I think I may have adopted it unconsciously since we're so much on the same page here.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    No time for anything outside of film music. I mostly listen to scores. But I also tune into Kollywood and Bollywood once a month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Kollywood? dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Kollywood? dizzy

spin

Kollywood: Film music in Tamil language. The prefix K comes from the name of the place- Kodambakkam
    Bollywood: Film music in Hindi language (Bombay + Hollywood)
    Tollywood: Film music in Telugu language (Telugu + Hollywood)

There's also Lollywood which is Lahore (Pakistan) + Hollywood.

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    spin
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    I love learning something new everyday.
  2. I listen to film music for 99% of the time. But within this I sometimes find myself going through phases of listening to jazz-based scores, Golden Age scores, Goldsmith scores, Herrmann scores, Asia-inspired scores, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I listen to film music for 99% of the time. But within this I sometimes find myself going through phases of listening to jazz-based scores, Golden Age scores, Goldsmith scores, Herrmann scores, Asia-inspired scores, etc.

True. Film music is not a genre per se, but an umbrella category for many different musical idioms. However, its film-specific nature gives these different idioms a certain amount of common traits regardless of musical genre.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

In some respects, I wish I was more like that when it came to music. But I'm not, and in other respects I'm glad. I just happen to be VERY passionate about film music (and to a less frequent but equally passionate degree, classical music), so it ends up being what I listen to 99% of the time, much like Alan. I don't go nuts listening to it all the time because of the shear passion I have for it. You could say my passion for film music is greater than my passion for music itself. Perhaps it is better to have a passion for all kinds of music in equal degrees, but the mind craves what it craves; film music. (Although as already stated, film music isn't really a genre as it covers all genres. So I don't think I'm quite as 'bad' as those who will only listen to one genre like rock or mainstream pop.)

Again, like Alan, I naturally go through phases within film music itself. It's an upward spiral, because you'll hear a particular score or track, see a particular film or even be in a particular mood that makes you want to listen to a particular type of score or composer. For me, Goldsmith is a particularly addictive composer, there's something very satisfying about his music (not least because it's brilliant). Come to think of it, there's nary a composer who I get addicted to quite so much as I do with Goldsmith - not even Williams. (Though the two I adore equally.)

As well as that, a particular type of score I usually get addicted to more than any other is a sci-fi adventure/action score. My passion for film music comes from its ability for escapism, and it doesn't get more escapist than a sci-fi adventure score! (Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan complete? Fucking Godsend of an album.) Oddly enough I never get addicted to fluffy, obscure, 'charming' little European/non-mainstream scores (yawn). Yes, I have a distinct disdain for these types of scores... much to people's dismay I'll wager. (I thought I liked Rombi at one point. But then I realised I didn't.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    Hi Steven, enjoy your break? smile
  3. Yeah smile

Great to see you here.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited
    BhelPuri wrote
    Kollywood: Film music in Tamil language. The prefix K comes from the name of the place- Kodambakkam
    Bollywood: Film music in Hindi language (Bombay + Hollywood)
    Tollywood: Film music in Telugu language (Telugu + Hollywood)

There's also Lollywood which is Lahore (Pakistan) + Hollywood.

If you had put this as a TRUE / FALSE question I would have replied FALSE! Hahaha! biggrin
    wink
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I thought I liked Rombi at one point. But then I realised I didn't.

biggrin

Steven has a unique way of describing things that I find admirable. Myself, I jump between genres all the time. But I'm always unhappy when I come across a genre or style that I don't like, because I would like to like everything. Especially rock music. I know there is a lot of good stuff out there, but I could never get into rock. Friends have sometimes made me CD-Rs of Rolling Stones material and Pink Floyd hoping I would acknowledge their superiority to all the classical music I enjoy. But, although I definately respect the music, it seems a bit too late in the day to really digest the unaccustomed aesthetics of the genre. I guess because I didn't grow up with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    markrayen wrote
    I thought I liked Rombi at one point. But then I realised I didn't.

biggrin

Steven has a unique way of describing things that I find admirable. Myself, I jump between genres all the time. But I'm always unhappy when I come across a genre or style that I don't like, because I would like to like everything. Especially rock music. I know there is a lot of good stuff out there, but I could never get into rock. Friends have sometimes made me CD-Rs of Rolling Stones material and Pink Floyd hoping I would acknowledge their superiority to all the classical music I enjoy. But, although I definately respect the music, it seems a bit too late in the day to really digest the unaccustomed aesthetics of the genre. I guess because I didn't grow up with it.

It's never too late. I still discover things that I didn't like before or that I hadn't even HEARD of before. In all musical genres.

I never thought I'd like rap and hip hop, for exampe, but I've found myself enjoying old-school stuff like Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Sugar Hill Gang, Wu-Tang Clan etc. in later years.

The joy in going from Ice-T to Rammstein to to Andrew Lloyd Webber to Xenakis or Stockhausen to Paul Oakenfold to ABBA to Mozart to Lalo Schifrin to Franz Waxman has always been what makes life worth living. The cultural spices of life.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    I listen to film music 90% of the times, which itself is a pretty wide area of different musical genres and types and listening to all that covers almost all my musical needs.

The other 10% is made of selected classical music repertoire (mostly from the romantic era), some hard metal stuff i still love from my teenage years and bands like The prodigy, Massive attack etc.

Switching phases is pretty normal for all people into music, depending on mood and other similar factors that are valid for each and every one of us, for a given period, depending the personal phase we are going through each time. Sometimes a musical genre will tire you whilst in other instances it will blow you away. Most of the times as i said it's film music for me 'cause it covers a huge amount of styles and emotions.

But generally speaking, lately i find i am NOT listening to any music at all more that i did in the past; i rather focus on other completely non-musical and sometimes musical, but not confined to listening music per se - activities even more and more as time goes by. Maybe it's a phase, it'll show.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    I listen to film music 90% of the times, which itself is a pretty wide area of different musical genres and types and listening to all that covers almost all my musical needs.

The other 10% is made of selected classical music repertoire (mostly from the romantic era), some hard metal stuff i still love from my teenage years and bands like The prodigy, Massive attack etc.

Switching phases is pretty normal for all people into music, depending on mood and other similar factors that are valid for each and every one of us, for a given period, depending the personal phase we are going through each time. Sometimes a musical genre will tire you whilst in other instances it will blow you away. Most of the times as i said it's film music for me 'cause it covers a huge amount of styles and emotions.

But generally speaking, lately i find i am NOT listening to any music at all more that i did in the past; i rather focus on other completely non-musical and sometimes musical, but not confined to listening music per se - activities even more and more as time goes by. Maybe it's a phase, it'll show.

I need time-offs from music altogether too once in a while. Silence is underrated.

For example, there is nothing like a hike in the woods with just the natural sounds of forest, its own "music", so to speak.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Word my friend, word.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    You have woods?

I listen to film music almost all the time. Then there's Sigur Ros (which is a seperate genre all toghether wink ), lots of post-rock (mono, Explosions in the Sky, ...), some classical, and the 'linked-with-film-music-artists' albums (Yann Tiersen, Devotchka, Sufjan Stevens, ...)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    I mostly listen to soundtracks and sometimes I switch and put on some 80's or 90's tunes .
    Pop music of today can't hold my interest any more ... sorry ...
    Or maybe I'm getting old ? lol
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I was just thinking that the work I review is on a whole lot.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited
    Eric wrote
    Pop music of today can't hold my interest any more ... sorry ...
    Or maybe I'm getting old ? lol

Don't worry, I'm 20 and I simply can't stand neither the trendy "kewl" Bollywood music popular here, nor the rock/metal/rap stuff my friends listen to. Only film scores for me! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    In the 60's the rock music held my interest but no longer.
    Thomas