• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    I thought it would be fun to share some nice stuff and I’m hoping to get to know some new artists as well. Language can be a problem and subtitles ruin the timing most of the time but perhaps there’s enough material we understand out there to share. All I understand is Dutch and English!

Feel free though to post clips in your own language for your fellow-countrymen! smile

I recently came across these.

First Rhod Gilbert in the Royal Variety Performance 2008:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL2CaiydtLY
    I really like this performance although I had to get used to his hoarse voice a little.

Rhod Gilbert at Montreal's 'Just For Laughs Comedy Festival' 2005 (awful quality unfortunately):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEffHUGr … re=related

Carl Barron at the Montreal Comedy Festival in 2006:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a39fS-82HE

Carl Barron on Australian Language (the whole DVD ‘Whatever Comes Next’ is on YouTube btw)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwZtT3Lx … re=related

For Dutchies - from Javier Guzman’s show Ton Zuur, one of my favourite shows, especially if you watch it from beginning to end, there’s a really good story in there):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AbhRGkVk5o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA6GQZiSvNE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIeZHULO … re=related

For Dutchies - Kees Torn:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHnpjsR5q6g

Well, enough for today. wave
  1. I'm quite partial to a bit of Michael McIntyre at the moment. Although his subject matter here isn't particularly new it's still very funny (but that may just be a Scottish thing!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1j31AnF1zs
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    Bregje, I recently saw Ton Zuur again on TV and indeed, it is his best show! (unlike Delirium, to be honest). King of Dutch comedy will always be Herman Finkers, though, and Youp van 't Hek is very good as well.

As for international comedians, I love the likes of Eddie Izzard and Ricky Gervais, among others. Will post some of my favorites soon!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009 edited
    Whatever happened to...

PHIL COOL?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm quite partial to a bit of Michael McIntyre at the moment. Although his subject matter here isn't particularly new it's still very funny (but that may just be a Scottish thing!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1j31AnF1zs

Thanks Alan! I just watched all three parts of the Live at the Apollo show. Really nice stuff in there.

I also watched the Royal Variety Performance 2008 with the 'man drawer' part haha.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4xxqVzlSeE
    I forwarded it to Maykel immediately.
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm afraid that stuff is not really my kind of humour, but I have a friend who gets free passes to various local stand-up shows here in Oslo, and of course I've tagged along on occasion. It's not something I seek out deliberately, however.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thor wrote
    I'm afraid that stuff is not really my kind of humour, but I have a friend who gets free passes to various local stand-up shows here in Oslo, and of course I've tagged along on occasion. It's not something I seek out deliberately, however.

But in stand-up comedy there are so many different styles, subjects and accents. There are cabaretiers I love and there are cabaretiers I loathe, I always thought there was something for everyone in there? But perhaps not for people who don't like the complete genre at all.

Some focus on songs, some on language, others just have a vivid imagination, some are rude, some are very physical, some take daily subjects, some political subjects...

BTW, I've never seen anyone live in the theatre, I only watched DVD's so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My best friend (a singer/songwriter of modest success) is very well connected to the Dutch cabaret scene and keeps on trying to enthuse me as well...so far he hasn't succeeded.

I'm just *so* not into cabaret.
    I honestly haven't seen any Dutch cabaret performer I like since the eighties.
    It's the format that annoyes me, I guess.

I have a slightly higher tolerance threshold towards stand-up comedy -possibly due to the general high speed of delivery?- , but that too wears out its welcome with me within minutes (unless it's really, really really good...can't actually remember ever having seen anything that brilliant though. )

Guess it's just not my thing at all. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    BobdH wrote
    Bregje, I recently saw Ton Zuur again on TV and indeed, it is his best show! (unlike Delirium, to be honest).

That's the only show I know by Javier but I really really enjoy it on many levels. He focused on changing society and a bit of nostalgia.

Like Guido Weijers, he has this recognizable things from his youth too, plus I like his view on simple things and how he uses his body and expressions.

King of Dutch comedy will always be Herman Finkers, though,

I never heard anyone who did not like Herman Finkers! punk Completely unique style.

and Youp van 't Hek is very good as well.

Hm... good example of someone I cannot watch or listen to for too long... slant

But many people say that of Marc Marie Huijbregts as well and I love that guy. Also because he's from my home town and listening to him (he tells very personal family stories too) is like visiting family or something. Plus he's a very good singer!

Generally speaking I don't like women that much. It's always as if men are funny and women act funny. Except of course Brigitte Kaandorp. She is great.

As for international comedians, I love the likes of Eddie Izzard and Ricky Gervais, among others. Will post some of my favorites soon!

Excellent! Don't know anything by the names you mention here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Guess it's just not my thing at all. sad

Sorry to hear that. Isn't it funny that I have the feeling you are missing out on something while you aren't because you just don't like it...
    spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, I perfectly understand.
    I always try and get people involved in things I so enjoy myself (film music is an excellent example). If only to try and make them understand why it gives me so much joy and pleasure. When that fails I also feel that they are truly missing something really worthwhile, but obviously that's only because these things mean so much to me.
    And even though I know it's just projection, it's just impossible to shake.

Guess it's just our innate need to share happiness.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    Thor wrote

But in stand-up comedy there are so many different styles, subjects and accents. There are cabaretiers I love and there are cabaretiers I loathe, I always thought there was something for everyone in there? But perhaps not for people who don't like the complete genre at all.

Well, as far as cabaret is concerned, that seemes to be a primarily Dutch phenomenon. We don't have that up here, at least not anymore. You'd probably have to go back to the 1800's.

As far as stand-up is concerned, you're right in that there are many different subject and styles. However, I've always preferred more absurd, situation-based comedy, and not so much the "let's deliver a point"-humour of stand-up.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thor wrote
    situation-based comedy

Can you perhaps give an example of what you mean by that?

Is it perhaps something like this:
    From Balls of Steel - Toju The Militant Black Guy
    He is making white people feel very uncomfortable by insinuating they are being racist:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRJgqx8Z … re=related
    I think it's funny. Although I'm not completely sure it's not set up. It is TV after all...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This is intriguing to me.
    Could you explain what it is that makes that funny to you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Because people are always extra careful not to be racist or discriminating. Because people even tend to defend themselves for things that were not even disciminating to begin with.

I think Draadstaal (Dutch) did a nice one with that too but I couldn't find it on YouTube. It's with a jew in the police station I believe?

I prefer satire or comedy far more than practical jokes or other ways to fool someone and shows like that. That's not my thing at all generally speaking, but when I saw this one I thought it was well done. And I wondered if that was situation-based comedy??
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    Thor wrote
    situation-based comedy

Can you perhaps give an example of what you mean by that?

Is it perhaps something like this:
    From Balls of Steel - Toju The Militant Black Guy
    He is making white people feel very uncomfortable by insinuating they are being racist:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRJgqx8Z … re=related
    I think it's funny. Although I'm not completely sure it's not set up. It is TV after all...

Ehm....no, that was just plain....well, uncomfortable to watch. I like some hidden camera stuff, but not that.

My "thang" is stuff like Monthy Python (the more CRAZIER skits, not the point-based ones), crazy Japanese shows like BANZAI, Jim Carrey at his wildest, American Funniest Home Videos, Family Guy, and a select few Norwegian comedians that I'm sure none of you have heard of (that manage to combine the outlandish and absurd with a certain sense of satire). It's difficult to show you any youtube videos of these, as they are in Norwegian, but this one - where they speak English/"fake" Danish - might give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

This one has subtitles and is one of my favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR0p4dyvH-k

I see that both of these are about language, but I promise that it's just a coincidence. smile

'Situation-based' means that it's not necessarily so much dialogue involved, or the delivery of a certain story with a humourous point. It's about creating a certain hilarious situations.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Because people are always extra careful not to be racist or discriminating. Because people even tend to defend themselves for things that were not even disciminating to begin with.

... when I saw this one I thought it was well done. And I wondered if that was situation-based comedy??

OK, I was just wondering.
    This sort of thing (using anti-social behaviour to make unsuspecting and innocent people angry, annoyed or shocked for no reason) isn't funny to me at all.

When it's a skit (i.e. acted by all involved) it can be very funny, as the Deliberate Misunderstanding is a well-used tool in comedy. But to inflict it on the public is at best stupid and annoying and at worst aggressive.

I've actually had a big black guy getting in my face for something I didn't say but he heard and thought was racist (to this day I have no idea what happened), but he just didn't listen to anything I tried to say or explain.
    It wasn't a particularly funny experience for anyone involved or watching.
    I can't for the life of me understand why it would be when a like situation is staged. The situation is nowhere near absurd enough to NOT take seriously.

I don't think Balls Of Steel can be classified situational comedy though.
    If anything it's more Shock TV than anything else (and I honestly don't like it. It completely capitalizes on a trend of the selfish, nasty and vicious getting glamourised.)
    A situational comedy revolves more around a storyline that is comedic, rather than jokes. Story-driven series like Fawlty Towers would be situational comedy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    'Situation-based' means that it's not necessarily so much dialogue involved, or the delivery of a certain story with a humourous point. It's about creating a certain hilarious situations.

Oh! shocked
    That's actually something else from what I just found.

I think you are talking more about a sketch show rather than situational comedy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thor wrote
    Ehm....no, that was just plain....well, uncomfortable to watch. I like some hidden camera stuff, but not that.

Hehe, it's really interesting what people find funny and not. It's so personal and perhaps different in different countries. Hard to understand.

I think the point was to make people feel uncomfortable. I did like the All Blacks / White Christmas one, really!

By the way, I've been accused of racism once (me, of all people! dizzy ). I felt horrible for three days, really. I was working at the Zoo's entrance and people could walk in and out of the parc with their ticket. When it was busy we checked some tickets randomly and apparently I checked the ticket of a large black family and let a white man pass with his son and they really burst out in anger and called me a racist. If there had been a reason it was they were in a larger group while individuals probably just went to get a coat out of their car or something... I was a lot younger then and was really upset. But that's a whole different story.
    smile

My "thang" is stuff like Monthy Python (the more CRAZIER skits, not the point-based ones),

Alright.

crazy Japanese shows like BANZAI,

No!

American Funniest Home Videos

Nooo!
    You know what I don't understand? When children break their bones and the parents just keep filming.

I do like bloopers a lot from TV shows!

Family Guy

What is that? Everyone is talking about it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    I've actually had a big black guy getting in my face for something I didn't say but he heard and thought was racist (to this day I have no idea what happened), but he just didn't listen to anything I tried to say or explain.
    It wasn't a particularly funny experience for anyone involved or watching.
    I can't for the life of me understand why it would be when a like situation is staged. The situation is nowhere near absurd enough to NOT take seriously.

Hey, I just posted an accusation story too. smile

I don't think Balls Of Steel can be classified situational comedy though.

I don't really know this show, I just came across the posted clip once.
    I wonder it's real because in one of the shops there's someone in the background who is not even blinking or watching the argument. Or it is someone from the crew carrying a camera...
    Anyway, I would burst out in tears if someone did a joke on me like that. Still, I like the concept they used of extreme cautiousness everyone expiences once in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thor wrote
    It's difficult to show you any youtube videos of these, as they are in Norwegian, but this one - where they speak English/"fake" Danish - might give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

This one has subtitles and is one of my favourites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR0p4dyvH-k

I think it's much like our satire shows, but I guess everything gets lost in the language. It did not even put a smile on my face, isn't that weird?

But I do smile now at you, see: smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote
    Hehe, it's really interesting what people find funny and not. It's so personal and perhaps different in different countries. Hard to understand.

Yeah, even though we're both Western Europeans and Norway and Netherlands have much in common, there's still a big cultural difference. And comedy is culture. Not to say that I'm the greatest proponent of Norwegian culture and comedy, but the wide appeal of the aforementioned comedians here in this country (Harald Eia, the blonde guy in both videos, is considered the greatest contemporary Norwegian comedian....he also has a master degree in sociology!) should tell us something.

That said, I think we could both find some common "comedy" ground if we met up, Bregje. It's incredible what a social setting can do!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hate disecting comedy, to me something is funny or it's not, simple as that.

Thor, the 'fake' Danish clip made me laugh biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Timmer wrote
    I hate disecting comedy, to me something is funny or it's not, simple as that.

That's a good point. Analyzing it can spoil the fun, just like with film music!
    That's why I don't do reviews.
    smile

BTW, your Phil Cool link didn't work, but i watched some other clips on YouTube.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Darn! I wrote the link correctly too!!! slant

Phil Cool pulls some wicked faces. I couldn't find it but his E.T. impression is incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    Is there life beyond Family Guy, South Park, Monty Python?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In a word?

YES!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The fact that where i live (Cyprus and Greece) Cabarets are something entirely different doesn't help either biggrin wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As it is in The Netherlands.
    I'm intrigued though, D.: what does cabaret constitute for our Graeco-European brethren?
  2. Yeah, Martijn beat me to this question.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website