• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Best film-related news of the year

I couldn't be more happier that Fox has come to its senses and decided to let someone that knows what true horror is be at the helm of this new motion picture. Of course I'd be even more happier if Cameron directed it but he seems a little tied up at the moment with all his current projects.

For the record, this movie should be set in space, where isolation and terror get a new dimension, and definitely not on earth (remember AvP:R?). Ridley bring back the franchise to its original status. I know you can do this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. ow, surprising yet very good news smile

I wonder what we could expect for this, but Scott at this turf we haven't had since long, so it could be good smile

Now the search for the ultimate composer can begin, and don't tell me Streitenfeld will do this shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    So, why is there a prequel?
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote

they want to give the Alien chance another chance, and considering every franchise gets a prequel nowadays, it isn't surprising this one does it too
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Good, very good. Would love to see what Ridley does here.
  4. Bregt wrote

I ask you, why not a prequel for one of the biggest, most loved franchises?

I'm salivating at the mere thought of a new film that does the first two justice. Fox can stick their horrid Requiem bullcrap where the sun don't shine. This is the only way to redeem themselves.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote

Yes, I would say "why not" also.

Actually, this news is about two weeks old.

On the one hand, I'm excited that Scott - one of my favourite directors - will return to one of my favourite franchises. I'm sure he'll deliver the goods!

On the other hand, the ALIEN films have always been about investing in new talent for each film, i.e. each new director has put his own unique stamp on the franchise. That has separated this from other franchises. So I was actually equally excited when I heard some months back that Scott would produce and commercial director Carl-Heinz Frinsch would direct.

In either case, I'm happy that the REAL ALIEN films will return after having watered out the creature and the universe with the AvP spin-offs (which are decent entertainment, but NOT what the ALIEN films are should be about!).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yes I know it's old news but it was news to me when I read it half an hour ago. I was just flabbergasted nobody mentioned it here. So that's the reason for the thread.

And about your comment on the AvP films Thor, I can stomach the first one, which is decent, though a far cry from the originals. But I think I speak for everybody when I say that its sequel blows on all fronts. It's not just an awful Alien-spinoff sequel thingie, it's a total waste of money, time and effort for all people involved. And mine, for actually renting it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    On the one hand I'm pleased - I think Alien is easily Scott's best film and am pleased to see him return to that world - but on the other hand, I wonder how much life there really is to squeeze out of this.
  6. Since it's a prequel, I would say quite a lot, there's a lot to explain about the origins of these things. They could really go all out and revisit a lot of the mythology and create a thinking man's horror film. I suspect that Ridley would rather go that way instead of another mundane action filled spectacle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Since it's a prequel, I would say quite a lot, there's a lot to explain about the origins of these things. They could really go all out and revisit a lot of the mythology and create a thinking man's horror film. I suspect that Ridley would rather go that way instead of another mundane action filled spectacle.

Yeah, but I wonder how humanbeings will fit into all of this. After all, the space jockey ain't human. Wouldn't that be interesting? To see a sci fi with NO humans in it whatsoever, just various forms of aliens and stuff? I don't think that has been tried before.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    To see a sci fi with NO humans in it whatsoever, just various forms of aliens and stuff? I don't think that has been tried before.

all the reason more to try it out now wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Since it's a prequel, I would say quite a lot, there's a lot to explain about the origins of these things. They could really go all out and revisit a lot of the mythology and create a thinking man's horror film. I suspect that Ridley would rather go that way instead of another mundane action filled spectacle.

I dunno. He makes very different films now from the ones he made 30 years ago. When's the last time he made a thinking man's anything?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    Wouldn't that be interesting? To see a sci fi with NO humans in it whatsoever, just various forms of aliens and stuff? I don't think that has been tried before.

Wasn't that The Woman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Best film-related news of the year

I couldn't be more happier that Fox has come to its senses...

I would have been happier they just laid this "series" to rest. Another "Hollywood is continuing to run out of idea" film. sleep What terrifies me even more is the prospects of Zimmer scoring this. vomit

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Without Jerry Goldsmith? sad

Mind you, he wasn't fully there for the first one. (Those who know will know what I mean.) wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I have often marveled over the fact that the director of Alien and Blade Runner is now making films like American Gangster and Body of Lies, followed by the thought what he would've made of those projects if he had made them at this point in his career. Him doing Alien again might not exactly be the most original idea Hollywood can come up with, but it certainly is a very interesting one, in terms of Ridley Scott. As such, I can't wait to see this film, especially since I know how he loaths the way Fox has treated this series.

Will he be going back to the chilling atmosphere he created back then, and according to him was the only way to do this series, or will he give in into the modern times? Either way, I'd love to find out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    A prequel, ok, but I read they're looking at remaking the original as well. slant
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    No, there were rumors on remaking it, which then turned into a prequel. The remake is off, it's going to be a prequel now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    I'm probably the only one , but I wouldn't mind seeing another sequel as well .
    Sigourney Weaver kicking ass just one more time would be awesome !
    Preferably on Earth this time ...
    I know , I know ... it ain't gonna happen ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  9. BobdH wrote
    No, there were rumors on remaking it, which then turned into a prequel. The remake is off, it's going to be a prequel now.

Ridley wanted to put a protege on the directing chair (he produces the prequel), but it seems that he didn't succeed then.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009 edited
    Eric wrote

Make that two.

But if they wait too long, it'll be Ripley in a wheelchair kicking ass.

And freezing at the mere thought of a remake of the first one. That and vomit Glad they decided against it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Eric wrote

Unfortunately, this idea was "used up" when the AvP spin-off films took the action to Earth. Yeah, I know, it's not REALLY the same franchise, but the creature is the same and it inevitably becomes part of the whole mythology, whether we like it or not.

It's sad to lose Ripley, but I think a prequel is a better idea than a trying to "compete" with the AvP films with a sequel film that takes place on Earth.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The last AvP film was dreadful beyond belief.

I wish they'd just let this franchise sink now but I do admit I'm very intrigued by a prequel especially with Ridley Scott at the helm and it makes it a reason I'll want to see it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Yes, I usually dislike horrors, but Ridley Scott at the helm makes me want to buy the cinema ticket!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009 edited
    Then again, Ridley Scott and horror didn't always result in awesomeness: Hannibal, a movie I've seen one time too many, truly appaling, and for me definitely at the bottom of his filmography.
    vomit

But for every dud he made three great flicks. So there's hope yet. If he can give it the character depth of something such as Gladiator and the atmosphere of Blade Runner, he's halfway there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't expect character depth from a Ridley Scott film so I have no particular concerns there. On the other hand-- if he can give it just HALF the atmosphere of Alien then it's going to be worthwile.
  11. Hannibal, while not a GOOD movie in and of itself, but I must say that I finally noticed it's a (rather failed alas) pastiche of the psychological serial killer thriller. It's supposed to be somewhat over the top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    Timmer wrote

Yeah , what were they thinking when they made that one ?! rolleyes
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited
    Eric wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah , what were they thinking when they made that one ?! rolleyes

They were thinking $

I'd like to think it did equally as awful as the film that was made at the box office. Noboby deserved to benefit from such utter junk.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt