• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited
    Continued from here.

Last posts:

Thor wrote
    My electricity just went out, and I can't get it back on! Damnit, just as I was going to make dinner. I'm both hungry and annoyed at the same time.
    Martijn wrote
    And you used your amazing and frightening mental powers to be able to post this using nothing but your brainwaves! shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Continued from here.

Last posts:

Thor wrote
    My electricity just went out, and I can't get it back on! Damnit, just as I was going to make dinner. I'm both hungry and annoyed at the same time.
    Martijn wrote
    And you used your amazing and frightening mental powers to be able to post this using nothing but your brainwaves! shocked

I'm on a laptop, Martijn, and the battery goes on automatically when the power goes out.

Thankfully, I've now found the source of the faulty fuse and can cook my pasta in peace. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm on a laptop, Martijn, and the battery goes on automatically when the power goes out.

Damn. How disappointingly mundane. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Darn, I thought Thor's eyes would light up and cook everything in sight just like what happened when the Terminator met Baby Jesus. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The fact my original post was shut down. How dare we all complain for more than 100 pages!! angry crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just an arbitrary cut-off for easier reference. smile
    (Plus: the fact that the "what made your day better" thread is going at one-sixth the speed of the "annoyances" thread makes us all look like grumpy, dissatisfied curmudgeons!)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I blame the economy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I blame Baby Jesus.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009 edited
    Typical, how the 'what's annoying you?' thread is way earlier getting a part 2 then the 'what made your day' one ;-)

Come to think of it, where is the 'made your day' thread?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote
    I blame Justin Boggan.

I was going to say that.

"I blame the economy.

And Justin."
  1. Poor Justin.

Or not...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009
    I just had like three hundred shots for my Indonesia trip in two months, and both my arms hurt like a !)#($*&%^! angry

(Mitigating counter-complaint: only two more months to go! fireworks )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    I just had like three hundred shots for my Indonesia trip in two months, and both my arms hurt like a !)#($*&%^! angry

(Mitigating counter-complaint: only two more months to go! fireworks )

Two more months, eh? I'm totally envious. I also like to think you were inspired by Bregt and I and our trip to the region earlier this year. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ehmmmmm.....YEAH!
    SURE!
    That's it!

Thanks Bregt and Thor! punk

Ahem. shame To be *brutally* honest: the primary reasons I'm going there are 1) it's relatively cheap; 2) I've never been to any part of Asia before, and it's something I feel I should at least try once, even if it doesn't immediately appeal to me 3) the food. smile
    If I had some more money and time, I'd definitely have gone to South America instead.

I'm sure I'll have a great time in Baliu though (even though I've just been informed it's malaria and rabies country... shocked I'm thinking of changing my safari briefs and pith helmet for an armoured tank...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    One tip: Do not use DEET.
    Kazoo
  2. What's DEET?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2009 edited
    Poisonous and used in mosquito repellent often used against malaria. There's natural alternatives that don't harm your brain and don't burn your skin and plastic off. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I *definitely* will use DEET.
    Industrial-strength too!

Not taking *any* risks with malaria or dengue, mate, and there is NO natural alternative that even *vaguely* approximates the efficiency of Deet.
  3. Just drink a LOT of tonic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Industrial-strength too!

Not taking *any* risks with malaria or dengue, mate, and there is NO natural alternative that even *vaguely* approximates the efficiency of Deet.

Ah, ok. Well, of course the small dose you'll be using will probably have not much effect, but DEET has been proven neurotoxic, creating much of the same reactions pesticides and even nerf gasses. But as usual, it takes long before there's independent research on pesticides or its brothers and sisters like GGO's, DEET in this case, ... But in the mean time, we use it, and not much research focuses on alternatives.

But yeah, don't risk anything indeed. Wear long sleeves and trousers just before the evening falls. because during the day, it's even too hot for the mosquitoes. I took pills btw, Malarone. No side effects, and double as expensive as DEET. One friend had DEET, but that didn't prevent him enough for having like hundreds of bites.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You ralize that paracetamol has been proven neurotoxic?
    It's all about knowing what dangerous circumstances are, what a workable dose is, what side effects are hazardous or annoying but temporary... in short: getting the facts, weighing the risks and don't get caught up in one-sided scare stories.

I think I'll die from malaria or dengue (or any other range of issues plaguing Indonesia, including food poisoning, rabies, AIDS, violent robbery et cetera et cetera) a shitload faster than from DEET poisoning. slant

Bregt wrote
    Wear long sleeves and trousers just before the evening falls. because during the day, it's even too hot for the mosquitoes.

Absolutely!
    I'll invest a bit in proper tropical gear, i.e. very lightweight long-sleeved shirts and long-legged trousers.
    As for the mosquitoes: it's gonna be a double-whammy: I'm having the malarone as well as the DEET.
    But apparently the fuckers are getting resistant. slant

(Remind me why I am doing this again?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Industrial-strength too!

Ah, ok. Well, of course the small dose you'll be using will probably have not much effect, but DEET has been proven neurotoxic, creating much of the same reactions pesticides and even nerf gasses. But as usual, it takes long before there's independent research on pesticides or its brothers and sisters like GGO's, DEET in this case, ... But in the mean time, we use it, and not much research focuses on alternatives.

But yeah, don't risk anything indeed. Wear long sleeves and trousers just before the evening falls. because during the day, it's even too hot for the mosquitoes.

I never wore sleeves and trousers during night (what, you wanna kill me?), but I had a strong mosquito spray that I used. Plus we didn't go jungle trekking in the middle of the night. It's about common sense, really.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    I think I'll die from malaria or dengue (or any other range of issues plaguing Indonesia, including food poisoning, rabies, AIDS, violent robbery et cetera et cetera) a shitload faster than from DEET poisoning. slant

True, that's why I said your small dose won't have any effect. It's just when you can use alternatives, why not? (well, apparently there aren't any). wink

But you have both Malarone and DEET? Crazy! Malarone is not yet found to be resistant I thought (Lariam is though)?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    we didn't go jungle trekking in the middle of the night. It's about common sense, really.

You say that as seriously as if it's an actual consideration!
    "Hmmm...it's pitch black dark in the middle of the jungle, and I think I can hear the hungry growls of prides of lions and tigers and bears, if the poisonous spiders and millipedes that just have come out by the hundreds of thousands won't impede us from reaching them. What say we go and have a bit of a trek, chaps? Here, don't forget to rub yourself in with ketchup and beat yourself up a bit to tenderize the meat..."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, night trekking sounds like a not so good idea. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    But you have both Malarone and DEET? Crazy! Malarone is not yet found to be resistant I thought (Lariam is though)?

Obviously Malarone isn't a repellant: it's an anti-malaria agent. And as fara s I know it's still effective.
    It's DEET that's losing its sting (so to speak): in many tropical places the mosquitoes now just seem to be slightly annoyed by it rather than repelled. slant

Lariam is still the most effective anti-malaria drug as far as I know, but its side effects are positively horrific!
    I've actually been a witness to a lariam-induced psychosis, which is extremely scary.
    That's why at least in The Netherlands it's only prescribed when you leave for the most risky areas for a period exceeding 3 or 6 months.
    I think the UK has banned it outright.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Btw, aren't you going in at the end of the rain season?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think Larium is now considered useless in northern Cambodia and parts of Laos. That's why I was advised for Malarone at my tropical care clinic.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Btw, aren't you going in at the end of the rain season?

No, just the beginning.
    Should be alright.