• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2016
    Journeys In Herniated Esophagic Landscapes

:coat:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Esophagic Hernia is a great band name either way!

Hope everything is going and continues to go well, Thor. sad
  2. Sorry to hear it, Thor sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2016
    Don't give up Thor!

I can't even pronounce that problem.
    Kazoo
  3. Damn Thor, hope everything turns out for the better in the upcoming time. Get better soon.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Just witnessed today a UPS employee picking up packages while trying to find the correct one, and throwing them back down. I hope no breakable Christmas presants were in any of those.

And wouldn't you know it -- UPS has no complaint form on their website.

"What can brown do for you?"

Well, for starters, they can stop throwing people's shit around like they don't give a fuck.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2017
    The most stupid phrase that we must endure every December/January is "I'm glad this year is finally over!"
  5. But wasn't that a sentiment everybody shared this year. Or is it the "magic of the number" that is poutting you off. You know, the homo stevensiens and its culture of logic and reason has yet to evolve...

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    People are morons, yes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The most stupid phrase that we must endure every December/January is "I'm glad this year is finally over!"

100% out of 100 agree!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Today is no different from yesterday. It's just got a new calendar hanging on the wall.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Exactly.
  7. Less fun without those midwinter rituals though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Less fun without those midwinter rituals though.

It's not the celebrations I'm against, and I'm all for looking forward to a better year. But when people express their gratitude for its ending, as though an arbitrary numerical increase will somehow hit a cosmic reset button, I can't help but think that person is a moron.
  8. As I said, it's "the magic of the numbers". Total agreement here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2017
    It's no different from any other rite of passage.
    That's why we suddenly see all kinds of end-of-year lists pop up on certain web sites. wink

These key moments -whether initiated by natural cycles or human agreement- offer a feeling of closure and new beginnings. Much the same with birthdays or, in more ancient times, solstice.
    There is power and comfort in rituals. They present a sort of emotional cleansing, which is not only emotionally and psychologically beneficial, but also very much in line with the human way of linear thinking, and the need for milestones to measure all things -including life- against.

So no, I find it neither stupid nor mornonic.
    In fact, even if I do not feel the need or the urge (much) myself, I totally understand its liberating power (including that of the sense of "leaving bad things behind").
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Very nice observation. I was to lazy to look deeper into that myself.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I remain thoroughly unconvinced. Putting things behind you, fine. But relying on a change of date to do that? You're a moron.
  10. It's just a handy occasion for this sort of thing. No, it's not rational, but sometimes it helps to have a nice line to mark these things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    I remain thoroughly unconvinced. Putting things behind you, fine. But relying on a change of date to do that? You're a moron.

Then you thoroughly underestimate the strength of ritual and its psychological effects, which has been amply demonstrated.

Doesn't mean to say it has to work for everyone. And it sure as hell doesn't mean it's a religious thing.
    But it's there. It's part of our emotional and psychological make-up, as part of the social animal that we are.

A milestone is a milestone. Whether it's an achievement (winning a race), a natural physical development that is beyond your control (hitting puberty), or a social agreement (a change of date). Nothing moronic about it. After all, we're only human.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Celebrating getting through another year is different to celebrating its passing as though a new year will necessarily change things. In other words, 'I'm glad it's over' makes no sense unless a specific event has ended. Therefore, idiots.
  11. A cycle of the sun has ended, its beginning and ending marked by the sun's relative position to the earth. People measure time by such celestial phenomenons. And that does have a socio-psychological impact. Not moronic, just human. It's not astrology we are talking here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Celebrating getting through another year is different to celebrating its passing as though a new year will necessarily change things. In other words, 'I'm glad it's over' makes no sense unless a specific event has ended. Therefore, idiots.

A specific event HAS ended, namely a commonly agreed, very clearly defined period of time.
    No different from "thank god it's Friday", or "School's out".
    It IS 'reset time', and it HAS a very clear psychological and emotional effect.

But weirdly I get the feeling you understand perfectly the tension between physics (the pointlessness of relating causal effects to random social constructs) and psychology (the value of repeated patterns and the need for tabulae rasae, or in other words "hope") here and you're just being every so slightly contrary because...well, you can. wink
    So I won't hammer the point home more than I already did.

And I suggest coffee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

A specific event HAS ended, namely a commonly agreed, very clearly defined period of time.
    No different from "thank god it's Friday", or "School's out".
    It IS 'reset time', and it HAS a very clear psychological and emotional effect.

Both are examples of specific events ending, with the implication of a break. 'I don't have to do that thing anymore, at least for now.' Very different to the gratitude that an arbitrary number will inherently change things.

'I'm glad the year is over' is a perfectly reasonable statement if you're referring to, for example, an academic year or something equivalent. Being glad that a number has changed is not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure, Steven. smile
    Now let's have that coffee.
  12. I'll have tea. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't really care one way or the other how people think 'change' in terms of new years, but I'm far more skeptical to socalled 'New Year's Resolutions'. I've tried that several times, and it never works.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Captain Future wrote
    I'll have tea. smile

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I don't really care one way or the other how people think 'change' in terms of new years, but I'm far more skeptical to socalled 'New Year's Resolutions'. I've tried that several times, and it never works.

For me it's more "whatever works for you".
    If people find some solace or renewed energy or, y'know, ANYTHING positive in the fact that a new year kicks off, then power to 'em. As stated above, there are valid social and psychological mechanisms at work there, and I have no need to tell them that in the eye of history no one in a hundred years time will give a rat's ass about the difference between 2016 and 2017.

But resolutions, hell, NOW we indeed truly entered the realm of the moronically deluded.
    A sense of relief, a burden unshouldered, a feeling of hope, sure!
    Changing your character, dropping the habits of a lifetime, expecting a sudden surge of willpower and accomodating circumstances -however much based on that aforementioned feeling of hope- based on a simple passing of time.... Well, this is where I generally sit down, wearing my smuggest expression and in my most patronising tone suggest that we'll speak again in 6 months time.

And oh, how sweet condescension can be!

Did I mention that oddly, I actually have very few friends?
    Can't fathom why.
    I'm so RIGHT all the time. It SHOULD be FUN being near me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    I'll have tea. smile

Yeah.
    You're weird.