• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    There's making it look marketable and then there's making it look like a completely different film. Honestly, this is the easiest thing to rebuke. It's a modern, generic and misleading trailer for a film from a completely different era. If you like that, fine. But you'd have to be dumb, deaf and blind not to notice the disparate tones between the film and this trailer.

well people are getting more and more stupid anymore and they have to market everything to them as 'brahhh it's got hot action brahhh' 'it's freaky man' 'it's crazy kewl i tall ya man it's got aliens and stuff and epic music brah i am not kidding ya man it's swagg'
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Aidabaida wrote

Trailers today are (aside from BRAAAAMS) better than at any other point in history. There's the occasional stinker, but overall, I'll take "Thor: Ragnarok"'s energetic immigrant song instead of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture's" freeze frames and stately voice, "And William Shatner as Kirk." I'll take the "War for the Planet of the Apes" trailer over the raucous Independence Day trailer.

Just compare the trailer for 1977's Star Wars to the Star Wars: Force Awakens trailers. Its a massive jump in quality. I'll take anachronistic "epic" music for Close Encounters over the stale, old style any day.

face-palm-mt
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah Hollywood needs some new trailer script doctors, because I don't think four more changes will suffice. cheesy

Couldn't resist, so I'll get my coat. shame

oh, how I would like to change the sound / music / feeling of the trailers if I could shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Aidabaida wrote

I know this is reputation suicide, but I don't think art is significantly worse today than in the 80s or 90s. I don't subscribe to the "back in the good ol' days everything was awesome. Today, it's all computers to keep the kiddies entertained."

Every time has his aesthetics. There is no absolute standard. This discussion is governed by nostalgia.

Trailers today are (aside from BRAAAAMS) better than at any other point in history. There's the occasional stinker, but overall, I'll take "Thor: Ragnarok"'s energetic immigrant song instead of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture's" freeze frames and stately voice, "And William Shatner as Kirk." I'll take the "War for the Planet of the Apes" trailer over the raucous Independence Day trailer.

I like those old trailers as icons of bygone times. I remember that in the days before internet trailers had much more significance than they have today. Quite often a trailer you would see before the feature film was the very first piece of information about an upcoming film at all. It often was a jaw dropping experience. In the abundance of information the internet is providing this effect is mostly lost.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2017
    Captain Future wrote
    This discussion is governed by nostalgia.

Speak for yourself.

As I said, I don't even like Close Encounters, so nostalgia has very little to do with it. I even agree with Aida; old trailers are pretty awful and clunky. However, advertising a film that isn't a modern action thriller as a modern action thriller is stupid. It's about how appropriate the marketing is, not whether it's old or new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote

Speak for yourself. However, advertising a film that isn't a modern action thriller as a modern action thriller is stupid. It's about how appropriate the marketing is, not whether it's old or new.

If its about that, then great! I'm just against the, "THOSE KIDS WITH THEIR LOUD MUSIC RUINING THE CLASSICS ONCE MORE..." and "EVERYTHING WAS BETTER THIRTY YEARS AGO."

I like how somebody put it, "All of art was in its golden age...whenever you were twenty."
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I don't really mind the modern approach. Thing is, this trailer is only for those not familiar yet with the film, so the young crowd. If you'd market the film for what it is, you probably won't attract them in the first place, even if they'd ultimately love it as soon as they invest in it. So you need them to invest and lure them with something they think they'll enjoy - I.e. something that doesn't feel "old" in their minds. It's about getting them into the theatre by any means necessary, and then once they invest in it, they'll love it. But they don't know yet they'll love it.

By the way, this is a response to "selling it like a modern Nolan film", not to "selling it like a different genre than it is" - but a case can be made that when you've got a film that's basically for 3/4ths about a paranoid guy losing his mind, and a climax of dazzling effects, the effects will be the best bet to sell the film on.

For me, the goal (getting youngsters interested in classic films) sanctifies the means. Hopefully it'll get them interested in original material again, lure them away from the superhero hypes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So as long as it gets tickets sold, it's okay to mislead new audiences? And why shy away from it being old? It is old! It's a little patronising to assume younger or new audiences will only be interested in this film by, essentially, lying about it. And we all know it's nothing so noble as 'getting youngsters interested in classics'; it's a completely cynical studio decision to cash in on an old product. True, it will also have the effect of renewed and new interest in a classic -- but the marketing is as transparant as you can get.

Just advertise the damn film for what it is: A science fiction drama from the 70s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    So as long as it gets tickets sold, it's okay to mislead new audiences? And why shy away from it being old? It is old! It's a little patronising to assume younger or new audiences will only be interested in this film by, essentially, lying about it. And we all know it's nothing so noble as 'getting youngsters interested in classics'; it's a completely cynical studio decision to cash in on an old product. True, it will also have the effect of renewed and new interest in a classic -- but the marketing is as transparant as you can get.

I don't understand why you think the triumphant music and cuts of the most spectacular effects (like nearly every trailer today), indicate that it must be pandering to young audiences. The Force Awakens trailer with its bombastic rendition of the Han and Leia Love theme spoke most to old audiences who wanted a Star Wars movie based more off the originals than the disappointing prequels!

If you think that showing the most visually exciting parts of the movie over bombastic music is negative, then fine, but to then say, "Since its negative, it must be pandering to the youth demographic" seems like it makes you the patronising one.
  3. I must say that I found the Zimmerization of Williams' music that occurred in Star Wars trailers far more irritating than the use of generic trailer music here that has no relation to Williams whatsoever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote

I don't understand why you think the triumphant music and cuts of the most spectacular effects (like nearly every trailer today), indicate that it must be pandering to young audiences. The Force Awakens trailer with its bombastic rendition of the Han and Leia Love theme spoke most to old audiences who wanted a Star Wars movie based more off the originals than the disappointing prequels!

If you think that showing the most visually exciting parts of the movie over bombastic music is negative, then fine, but to then say, "Since its negative, it must be pandering to the youth demographic" seems like it makes you the patronising one.

You're strawmanning the hell out of my arguments. dizzy

As I've repeated ad nasuem, it's about the misleading way it's advertised. The Force Awakens is an action sci-fi; it was advertised as one. Close Encounters is a sci-fi drama, from the 70s, and yet here, in this new trailer, they're advertising it as an almost modern sci-fi action thriller.

Again, for the millionth time, it's a bad way to market an old film. It. Just. Doesn't. Fit. People will expect something else. If it really is about attracting new audiences to a film they're completely ignorant of, misleading their expectations is not the way to do it. Nothing patronising about that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote

As I've repeated ad nasuem, it's about the misleading way it's advertised. The Force Awakens is an action sci-fi; it was advertised as one. Close Encounters is a sci-fi drama, from the 70s, and yet here, in this new trailer, they're advertising it as an almost modern sci-fi action thriller.

Again, for the millionth time, it's a bad way to market an old film. It. Just. Doesn't. Fit. People will expect something else. If it really is about attracting new audiences to a film they're completely ignorant of, misleading their expectations is not the way to do it. Nothing patronising about that.

I'm not arguing against that it might be a misleading trailer, I'm arguing against the idea that putting the big trailer music in was a cynical attempt to attract young people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017
    I tend to agree with Aidabaida. It is all about younger audiences. I could care less about most of the new films today. I mainly go to the art houses to view films.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2017 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I tend to agree with Aidabaida. It is all about younger audiences. I could care less about most of the new films today. I mainly go to the art houses to view films.

My whole argument is that it isn't about the younger audiences; I think they're just making a normal modern trailer. It's not specifically targeting young people, in the same way that putting the revamped Han Solo and the Princess Theme over the Force Awakens trailer is pandering more to older than newer fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Being part of the older generation (69) I'm not the target market, far fom it. I'll watch four or five trailers and I might go maybe to one of them. I've found that getting older the special effects really men nothing to me anymore. A good example is "King Kong." I still prefer the original from 1933 over the remakes. I think you understand my friend. By the way I'm happy to have you as a member of this small group. Don't be afraid to ask about classical music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    sdtom wrote
    Being part of the older generation (69) I'm not the target market, far fom it. I'll watch four or five trailers and I might go maybe to one of them. I've found that getting older the special effects really men nothing to me anymore. A good example is "King Kong." I still prefer the original from 1933 over the remakes. I think you understand my friend. By the way I'm happy to have you as a member of this small group. Don't be afraid to ask about classical music.

I definitely agree that special effects lose their lustre for the older generation, but I definitely think there's some 40-60 year olds who are really liking the re-vamped, souped-up effects, rebooting/remixing of their childhood entertainment. (Or else it wouldn't be so succesful).

And off topic. Okay, I have a question about classical music:

What composer is the most similar to Mozart if Mozart was born during the Romantic rather than the Classical period?
  4. Not sure what you mean. The composer most similar to Mozart is probably Joseph Haydn.

Who is the Mozart of the Romantic period? Hm, Franz Schubert?

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    Not sure what you mean. The composer most similar to Mozart is probably Joseph Haydn.

smile Volker

The question occurred to me because I was recently talking about how Romantic-Era Beethoven was better than Classical-Era Beethoven, and I wondered what Mozart would sound like if he could indulge a bit more of his emotionalism side.
  5. My instinct is to pick one of the more "backwards-looking" romantics like Mendelssohn or Brahms, but if the question is "what would Mozart have sounded like if he had fully embraced romanticism" then I'm not sure that's right. Hard to say, really, especially for me as my knowledge of classical music is relatively narrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Certainly not Schubert. If you have a listen to Beethoven's 1st you can hear a little of boh composers.
    Tom
  6. Aidabaida wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Not sure what you mean. The composer most similar to Mozart is probably Joseph Haydn.

smile Volker

The question occurred to me because I was recently talking about how Romantic-Era Beethoven was better than Classical-Era Beethoven, and I wondered what Mozart would sound like if he could indulge a bit more of his emotionalism side.

By the end of his life Mozart did start to sound darker. There's the famous unfinished Requiem, but there's another work he wrote which is not far from the Requiem, called Little Masonic Cantata which goes in a similar direction.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. sdtom wrote
    Certainly not Schubert. If you have a listen to Beethoven's 1st you can hear a little of boh composers.
    Tom

Yes, Beethoven's 1st is still deeply indebted to Mozart.
    There is this tendency towards darker tones in Mozart's later work. Too bad his life was too short to let him explore that further. Interestingly Goethe once said, he would rather have had Mozart score his Faust tragedy than Beethoven, so Goethe seemed to sense that quality in Mozart's music too.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017
    There is also a suite by tchaikovsky for strings called "mozartina" you might also want to check out
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I find myself interested in classical music but rather inexperienced smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2017 edited
    https://www.amazon.com/Naxos-30th-Anniv … B06X1GB7RF

This would be a good starting point for you for a little more thana dollar a CD.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I find myself agreeing with Steven on this.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. The thing I like most about the trailer is that they have edited John Williams' 5-note motif with the character climbing into the ship at the end of the trailer. Makes it look like the aliens have a set of musical steps, and suggests that the film may be a comedy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The thing I like most about the trailer is that they have edited John Williams' 5-note motif with the character climbing into the ship at the end of the trailer. Makes it look like the aliens have a set of musical steps, and suggests that the film may be a comedy.

This sounds rather like Roger Ebert. biggrin
  9. The appearance of the 5 note motif at the end is close to what we have in the score and therefor the only element in the audio of the trailer that makes musical sense, as well as it being appropriately used to end on a (not so) high note. The rest of the 'music' is plain garbage and cheapens the visual aspect of the film. The trailer completely misses the mark.

Thomas G. I'm sure you can make something spectacular out of this. wink tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    The appearance of the 5 note motif at the end is close to what we have in the score and therefor the only element in the audio of the trailer that makes musical sense, as well as it being appropriately used to end on a (not so) high note. The rest of the 'music' is plain garbage and cheapens the visual aspect of the film. The trailer completely misses the mark.

Thomas G. I'm sure you can make something spectacular out of this. wink tongue

Who knows smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh