• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017 edited
    Timmer wrote
    He will not last 3 years.

yes, I think he will.

a new study (source below) found 91% of coverage of president trump has been slanted negatively (even right-wing fox news only reported positively on the president a minority of the time). Plus, 96% of journalists donated to Clinton.

my point is that, often, we are viewing the presidency through the window of people who hate him. I don't like Trump either (I think he's the worst spokesman for conservatism and says stupid things), but I also know that I'm not always seeing the full story.

we were hit with a constant drum-beat that trump would lose: he didn't.

now we're being hit with a constant-drum beat that trump will be impeached: i don't think he will be

source: http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/ … ive-230297
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017
    Timmer wrote

I so hope you're right, but alas, I think he will find a way to weazel his way out of everything. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Impeachment is a tricky thing, that is not likely to happen. I initially thought Trump might just tire of the new toy like a spoiled child and step down but my outlook on that has changed. If the next three years slog along without Pyongyang or Tehran getting nuked I'll consider us all lucky.
    What I am curious about is if the estrangement between Trump and the GOP will lead Trump to create his own movement (á la la République en Marche) for another run.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2017 edited
    I don't really think anything major will happen. And he will not be impeached. I think Trump will not manage to get anything done, either good nor bad except for some minor laws that are easy for him to pass but will slowly chip away the rights and freedoms of minorities, due to his incompetence and growing lack of support, he will continue to be frustrated about this and blame the media and his competitors and leave angry after a useless 4 years, while his fans will believe him that none of his promises were actually kept because of the evil democrats. At the end of his term, nobody will have advantaged anything out of it, making them even more angry at the democrats than they were going in, still jobless, still no or too expensive health care, still poor and forgotten, and the gap between democrats and republicans will only widen. This will either result in a complete u-turn in the choosing of the next president to someone who adheres to the general image of a trusted politician, or it may result in electing someone even more extreme than Trump is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Captain Future wrote
    What I am curious about is if the estrangement between Trump and the GOP will lead Trump to create his own movement (á la la République en Marche) for another run.

what I worry about is that some conservatives are becoming addicted to his brash style and his inelegant anger. They are confusing making the left angry with actually making progress on the conservative agenda. I heard one person say that if Trump resigned and the much more professional Pence started actually moving forwards with all the campaign promises (like he would!) some conservatives might miss Trump's bullying and namecalling.

So if Trump does create his own movement, then the normal republicans will be stuck with their traditional way of going about things while Trump's new movement barges ahead with fury and energy. Trump will leave the traditional healthy conservatism in the dust, attracting more and more angry people and feeding them a steady diet of taunting and insults.

honestly, it's a mess. conservatism has a chance to be stronger now than ever before, but people like Trump are squandering it to capitalize on this temporary anger. if you're on the left, I wouldn't be too worried right now, Trump isn't even moving forwards on most of the stuff you dislike! its seems he's abandoning the wall and asking congress to put DACA into law, and blaming all his losses on the completely out-of-power democrats. yeah, a mess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Trump is an idiot.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017
    sdtom wrote
    Trump is an idiot.

most successful idiot of all time, then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Trump is an idiot.

Indeed. And most of the world agrees. Except half of the US, apparently.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Aidabaida wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Trump is an idiot.

Hard to argue with that. Back in the day we thought America had gone mad voting Reagan in and then George Dubya Bush. Even Stephen King's made up Greg Stilson seems a bastion of sanity in comparison.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Trump is an idiot.

I'm part of that half. He's not a genius, but neither is he an idiot. I think most of the stupid things he does are really purposeful. Specifically dumb tweets. He's able to dominate the news-cycle for days, burying any other story. People have analyzed his cadence of speaking, and the way he tailors his sentences and vocabulary for maximum effect. I don't like Trump one bit, and he is a terrible voice for conservatism, but to say he's an idiot is unfair.
  2. I wondered if there was some brilliant charade with him during the campaign at one point, but I'm pretty sure there isn't. Both his biographer and his own staff say that he has a 5 minute attention span and can't read more than half a page at a time. He may not be an idiot, but he may have some sort of attention deficit disorder. His success started with a million bucks from his dad and probably a great deal of help choosing his initial investments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Unless he creates a nuclear war in between and before that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aidabaida wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Trump is an idiot.

well in an era of idiots, it'd appear so, yes.
  3. Aidabaida wrote
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Trump is an idiot.

I'm part of that half. He's not a genius, but neither is he an idiot. I think most of the stupid things he does are really purposeful. Specifically dumb tweets. He's able to dominate the news-cycle for days, burying any other story. People have analyzed his cadence of speaking, and the way he tailors his sentences and vocabulary for maximum effect. I don't like Trump one bit, and he is a terrible voice for conservatism, but to say he's an idiot is unfair.

He absolutely is an idiot. "Nobody knew healthcare could be this complicated!" - come on. His White House staff have orders to brief him with one-page documents that mention his name as frequently as possible so as to keep his attention. Any time he tries to actually speak about a political issue (rare enough) it's clear he has only the most basic grasp of that issue.

I won't touch your "healthy conservatism" comment because if I do we'll be here all week slinging mud at each other...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    christopher wrote
    I wondered if there was some brilliant charade with him during the campaign at one point, but I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Same here.
    I really thought there was some kind of master plan, or brilliant layering of agendas.
    Not any more. The evidence against it on every single level of his administration so far is simply overwhelming.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    He absolutely is an idiot. "Nobody knew healthcare could be this complicated!" - come on. His White House staff have orders to brief him with one-page documents that mention his name as frequently as possible so as to keep his attention. Any time he tries to actually speak about a political issue (rare enough) it's clear he has only the most basic grasp of that issue.

I won't touch your "healthy conservatism" comment because if I do we'll be here all week slinging mud at each other...

this goes to my other point about seeing the administration through the lens of people who hate him. (again, 96% of journalists donated to Clinton). the idea that trump gets a folder of positive news about him and all that comes from anonymous sources. we have no confirmation of any of that. we have videos of CNN admitting that they entertain unconfirmed sources for ratings. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdP8TiKY8dE)

when he speaks about a political issue with seemingly a 'basic grasp', I personally think he's dumbing it down so that the maximum number of people can understand it. Only a quarter of our population can name all three branches of government. trump knows that, and he tailors his message to be as easily understandable as possible.

again, I don't think he's a genius, but he managed to completely defy every prediction, prove all the experts wrong, and beat the woman who had prepared all her life for this, with 91% of the media reporting negatively against him, and every major celebrity condemning him. Can you do that if you are an idiot? I don't think so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Aidabaida wrote
    Can you do that if you are an idiot? I don't think so.

You can if you are a cheating crook. Although that requries a skill too, I suppose.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    come on man, next to trump, bush seems like a normal-intelligence, able human being wink
  4. Trump winning doesn't prove he's not an idiot. It proves that many Americans are idiots, to a degree beyond what we thought we already knew.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    come on man, next to trump, bush seems like a normal-intelligence, able human being wink

Gods! Who would ever have thought we'd one day think that. shocked biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Trump winning doesn't prove he's not an idiot. It proves that many Americans are idiots.

well another point worth of discussing wink muricans, oh man. they were shooting with riffles on hurricane irma the other day. others think that it's god's punishment for accepting gays and lgbt and obama's liberalisms all these years biggrin but yeah , judging by the sharp rise of far right in EU too, i'd say that muricans aren't the only idiots on this planet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Trump winning doesn't prove he's not an idiot. It proves that many Americans are idiots.

well another point worth of discussing wink muricans, oh man. they were shooting with riffles on hurricane irma the other day. others think that it's god's punishment for accepting gays and lgbt and obama's liberalisms all these years biggrin but yeah , judging by the sharp rise of far right in EU too, i'd say that muricans aren't the only idiots on this planet.

not to mention antivaxxers, conspiracy theorists and 9-11ers, earth is flat etc. but then again everything starts from murica and infects other idiots on planet earth afterwards...hmmm..
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Thor wrote

You can if you are a cheating crook. Although that requries a skill too, I suppose.

I'll wait for hard evidence that he's cheated (other than Trump Jr. meeting with a tabloid reporter and it didn't go anywhere... that doesn't seem like rigging an election to me :P)

if new evidence comes out, i'm all for it, but right now, it seems to me that trump ran a good campaign. we'll see if that changes.

the problem with calling him an idiot - especially on the side that opposes him - is that it leads to underestimating him! everyone underestimated him in 2016! do we want that to happen again?

underestimating trump leads to complacency. some hillary voters were so sure she would win they didn't feel motivated to go out and vote. trump voters were so worried he'd lose they came out in droves!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Trump winning doesn't prove he's not an idiot. It proves that many Americans are idiots, to a degree beyond what we thought we already knew.

or maybe it proves there's people who disagree with you? maybe not everyone who disagrees with you politically is an idiot?

just a thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    well i pretty much doubt he's clever or not an idiot. i think the reason america is like it is right now, it's because of the absolute rock bottom and low level a lot of america's people have hit through the years. the voters
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017 edited
    Aidabaida wrote

again, I don't think he's a genius, but he managed to completely defy every prediction, prove all the experts wrong, and beat the woman who had prepared all her life for this, with 91% of the media reporting negatively against him, and every major celebrity condemning him. Can you do that if you are an idiot? I don't think so.

He appealed to people tired of typical political rhetoric; he appealed to idiots; a fair degree of racists, bigots and ignoramuses; and he was up against one of the most unlikeable candidates the Democrats could possibly have chosen. His rise is not the result of his intelligence - although a certain shrewdness was involved I'm sure - but a mixture of luck and the stupidity of voters. The fact that he still has even some percentage of approval ratings demonstrably proves people are utterly retarded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Aidabaida wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Trump winning doesn't prove he's not an idiot. It proves that many Americans are idiots, to a degree beyond what we thought we already knew.

or maybe it proves there's people who disagree with you? maybe not everyone who disagrees with you politically is an idiot?

just a thought.

come on man, i don't think trump is a simple matter of agreeing - disagreeing.it's more like universally accepted fact and phenomenon that something is seriously wrong with him wink like another universally accepted fact that bach is awesome, and the father of western harmony and music, nobody disagrees with that, i mean do we know anyone? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Aidabaida wrote

He appealed to people tired of typical political rhetoric; he appealed to idiots; a fair degree of racists, bigots and ignoramuses; and he was up against one of the most unlikeable candidates the Democrats could possibly have chosen. His rise is not the result of his intelligence - although a certain shrewdness was involved I'm sure - but a mixture of luck and the stupidity of voters. The fact that he still has even some percentage of approval ratings demonstrably proves people are utterly retarded.

yep. muricans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    The fact that he still has even some percentage of approval ratings demonstrably proves people are utterly retarded.

or maybe it proves there's people who disagree with you? maybe not everyone who disagrees with you politically is retarded?

maybe they like the rapidly growing economy? the new jobs that are being added?

just a thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ see 2 posts before wink