• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2018 edited
    Most annoying (rather than serious) injury ever:

Yesterday, I was just taking on my socks, when suddenly my left middle finger snapped out of position. I first thought it was broken, but after 2 hours in the emergency room, I was told the tendons had snapped. I now have to wear a thick brace-type ting for 8-12 weeks(!), making PC typing and other activities difficult.

So avoidable, so annoying.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. One can't help to picture the situation in some slapstick manner. Get better soon, Thunderer!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2018
    He, he...yeah, I'll probably laugh at it some time in May. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How is that possible? shocked dizzy

Have a quick recovery Thor!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no idea. Our bodies are fragile. Mine, in particular.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    So avoidable, so annoying.

By not wearing socks?

Sorry to hear about your injury.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Ouch! Sorry, Thor sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2018
    A much lesser annoyance than Thor's...

But I'm annoyed that Disney seems to be overwhelming us with Star Wars.

I enjoyed Force Awakens (6.5/10), really liked Rogue One (8/10) and really, really liked Last Jedi (8.5/10), but I feel full, like I've eaten a decent meal and just want to rest. I'm not interested in Solo, not interested in an Obi-Wan movie, and just barely interested in Star Wars 9. All three Disney Star Wars movies have been fun to watch, but they haven't inspired me to look forwards to more more more. I enjoy what we have and think what we have is enough.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
  4. Let's take a look:

The Solo film.
    One trilogy by that Last Jedi fellow.
    Another trilogy by those Game of Thrones guys.
    An Obi-Wan film.
    Possibly a Boba Fett film.
    At least two TV shows.

Seems like the next decade there will have Star Wars all over. At the end of that run will anyone still remember that little cinematic sensation that took place in 1977?

Volker
  5. I would say that the bubble must pop at some point but I've been saying that about Marvel for about five years with no end in sight. slant

The irritating thing (sort of) is I haven't actually disliked a single Marvel film yet. They bottom out at "okay". But somehow the whole is less than the sum of its parts, and I've become exhausted with the enterprise. I'd be so happy if they called it quits after the fourth Avengers movie but if they keep making money, they won't. And I feel the same way about Star Wars. They'll keep pumping out safe, watchable, okay movies until either people stop going to see them or the end of time, whichever comes first.
  6. And Episode IX of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I would say that the bubble must pop at some point but I've been saying that about Marvel for about five years with no end in sight. slant

The irritating thing (sort of) is I haven't actually disliked a single Marvel film yet. They bottom out at "okay". But somehow the whole is less than the sum of its parts, and I've become exhausted with the enterprise. I'd be so happy if they called it quits after the fourth Avengers movie but if they keep making money, they won't. And I feel the same way about Star Wars. They'll keep pumping out safe, watchable, okay movies until either people stop going to see them or the end of time, whichever comes first.

The massively high rotten tomatoes scores are a red flag for these types of movies. A truly great movie inspires extreme positive and negative reactions.
  7. I'm not sure if I agree with that premise, I certainly think there have been many truly great movies that have garnered near-universal acclaim, but yeah, the high RT scores do seem to point towards a certain attitude of trying to make "not-bad" movies rather than "good" ones. A lot of those positive reviews are 3/5 shrugs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm not sure if I agree with that premise, I certainly think there have been many truly great movies that have garnered near-universal acclaim, but yeah, the high RT scores do seem to point towards a certain attitude of trying to make "not-bad" movies rather than "good" ones. A lot of those positive reviews are 3/5 shrugs.

time to break out my theory about the thin line between great and unwatchable and how extreme negative reactions can sometimes be proof of greatness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2018
    After 4 weeks in the hospital (pneumonia) and two weeks in Transitional Care Unit I'm home and feel good. I suspect the pneumonia was lingering for a bit of time in my system. Laying in with pneumonia and cedif (caused by the antibiotics) was no fun at all. Walking with a walker is coming back again. Should be somewhat mobile in a month. That's where I've been.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2018
    sdtom wrote
    After 4 weeks in the hospital (pneumonia) and two weeks in Transitional Care Unit I'm home and feel good. I suspect the pneumonia was lingering for a bit of time in my system. Laying in with pneumonia and cedif (caused by the antibiotics) was no fun at all. Walking with a walker is coming back again. Should be somewhat mobile in a month. That's where I've been.
    Tom smile

glad to hear you're feeling better, Tom. I wish you the best of luck.
  8. Glad to see you around, Tom. Take care!

Volker
  9. Sorry you’ve had such a hard time, Tom. I hope you can recover quickly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2018
    Take care Tom. Good to see you coming back here.
    Kazoo
  10. sdtom wrote
    Tom smile

Hi Tom. Glad you are on the mend. Pneumonia is a serious thing. I hope that you are feeling good.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2018
    thanks for all the encouragement biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018 edited
    the details of this florida shooting make me feel sick, but what's 'annoying me currently' is all the red flags; this kid had been banned from wearing a backpack, posted videos of himself with guns, made threats, etc. Why weren't further steps taken? ugh. sad

sorry to bring up something so depressing on this mostly cheerful board.
  11. Steps like what? Arrest him before he commits a crime, Minority Report style? I know better than to suggest gun control reform to you...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018
    Aidabaida wrote
    the details of this florida shooting make me feel sick, but what's 'annoying me currently' is all the red flags; this kid had been banned from wearing a backpack, posted videos of himself with guns, made threats, etc. Why weren't further steps taken? ugh. sad

sorry to bring up something so depressing on this mostly cheerful board.

agree 100% sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2018
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steps like what? Arrest him before he commits a crime, Minority Report style? I know better than to suggest gun control reform to you...

Yeah, you can’t arrest him, but you cán take away his guns. But we’ve been over this - appararantly THAT is too drastic...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steps like what? Arrest him before he commits a crime, Minority Report style? I know better than to suggest gun control reform to you...

Have a guard at the school. Give the guard the boy's picture. Tell the guard that this boy is not allowed to step onto campus.

Aside from that, if you've made threats to a school, you should obviously be on the gun-buying blacklist.

There's no surefire way to stop someone bent on evil, but with all the signs they had here, they could have at least done something. Maybe he would have overpowered the guard, maybe (most likely, considering the statistics), he got his gun illegally. But how could those precautions make things worse? At least they could've offered some of those kids a chance. sad

According to the New York Daily News... "FBI agents were warned about Nikolas Cruz’s plans to become a “professional school shooter” months ago"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    That’s... basically what we argued against you after Vegas. Your retorts were: how do you decide who gets on the blacklist (can’t buy guns)? Is that decided by the government? We don’t trust the government! Etc... It’s those arguments that prevents the US government from taking such actions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    BobdH wrote
    That’s... basically what we argued against you after Vegas. Your retorts were: how do you decide who gets on the blacklist (can’t buy guns)? Is that decided by the government? We don’t trust the government! Etc... It’s those arguments that prevents the US government from taking such actions.

hmmm, I've always strongly agreed with laws to stop domestic abusers and felons and such from buying weapons.

as far as I can remember, I argued that there should not be restrictions on normal people buying weapons (such as those restrictions in Australia or the UK). I think Americans have their 2nd amendment right to protect ourselves from government tyranny and threats on our personal lives.

But I also believe that once you make threats on kids, those rights are null and void. That's not a one-hundred percent guarantee they won't get guns (most criminals get their's illegally), but, well, we don't legalize murder just because we can't stop it one-hundred percent of the time, and moreover, it won't make the problem WORSE, which is what I think banning guns entirely would do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    In that case we wouldn’t have been arguing at all, since that was exactly what I had been saying - background checks to prevent unstable people from buying guns, but not banning guns for “normal people” at all, since I understood the need to own ‘em. I was baffled by your (strong!) backlash against what I thought was a nuanced look on things. How that would make matters worse, because you let the government decide who would and who wouldn’t be able to own em, the slippery slope, the illegal ways they would still be able to get them, the distrust of the police, how it didn’t prevent anything, how regulations would have to be set in every state to have any effect - and so on. After which I argued it wouldn’t make it any worse at the very least, and you saying it would.

It prevented the discussion from getting to the logical next step - what would be reasonable terms on which to decide you get in a fun blacklist? Like, threatening children...

Anyhow, those above posts I agree on, it just leads me to think you didn’t actually read or considered my posts before typing your replies...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    BobdH wrote
    Anyhow, those above posts I agree on, it just leads me to think you didn’t actually read or considered my posts before typing your replies...

Well, there were approximately seven-hundred people disagreeing with me in the debate several months ago, so I might not have been able to keep track of everyone's personal opinions. I know a few users advocated for the banning of all firearms entirely, and I may have confused your points about common-sense restrictions for theirs. My apologies!

Anyway, I do distrust the government when it comes to restricting someone's right to protect themselves, yet, like I said, I think it's safe to say that right vanishes for someone once they threaten a school.