• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    I'm not sure I like you any more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Uh,uh! sad So there is actually a possibility of firing you? angry

Yes and no: thing is that I'm a contractor, so I'm hired out.
    It's the hiring company that's doing the reorganization.

Worst thing that will happen to me is that company that's currently hiring me from my agency will terminate the contract.
    Which means that my agency will need to find a new job for me.

I'll still get paid, that's not what I'm worried about, but I really like the job I'm doing now with the people I'm doing it with at the location I'm doing it at: anything else at this time would be a step back as far as I'm concerned.

When will you know?

Internal communication isn't this company's strong suit. slant
    Before end of August, I would imagine.

And so it's the end of August, and I have been informed that my Grand Master Plan of actually moving out of contracting and moving into an actual internal job with the hiring company has been a bust.
    Apparently my experience is too one-sided for them to take me onboard (they're trying to rid the company of old-time employees who "moan about the old days" and bring in a completely new and fresh batch without any historic ties.

What that means is that come December, it's exceedingly likely (though not certain) my contract will be released.

Fuck.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I get a posse together Martijn made up entirely of tough nut Brits brought up on haddock & poached egg breakfasts to bring severe grief to the evildoers.

Seriously though....bummer! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote

What that means is that come December, it's exceedingly likely (though not certain) my contract will be released.

Fuck.

Martijn I'm really, really sorry. sad Do you want me to come there and kich there fat, idiotic, useless asses? angry
    So, do you have any idea what is going to happen come December?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    How how!!!! Martijn! angry

I'm so sorry to hear that bad news. What the hell?
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, in December hopefully you'll turn up Stavi and kick they're idiotic posteriors wearing huge spiked boots.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Looking on the bright side, at least it will be Christmas. Grow a beard and you could find gainful employment in your local shopping mall's grotto for a few weeks.

(On a more serious note, sorry to hear your news, which stinks.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    Martijn, really sad to hear that. What's the future plans? Let us know of your thoughts and plans when and if you're ready and in the meantime i am wishing you the best, my friend.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn when one door closes another one opens up.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I get a posse together Martijn made up entirely of tough nut Brits brought up on haddock & poached egg breakfasts to bring severe grief to the evildoers.

Seriously though....bummer! slant

Southall wrote
    (On a more serious note, sorry to hear your news, which stinks.)

Stavroula wrote
    Martijn I'm really, really sorry. sad Do you want me to come there and kich there fat, idiotic, useless asses? angry

Thanks guys.
    I was pretty damn down yesterday morning...well...and the better part of the afternoon.
    And quite a bit of the evening.

But it's very comforting and gratifying to know the nice people here at MT are always happy to rally an impromptu bloodthirsty pichfork'n'torches mob. smile

So, do you have any idea what is going to happen come December?

Christodoulides wrote
    What's the future plans?

What will happen in all probability is that my contract will expire and not be renewed, which means my agency will scramble to have to find me another job. As it's a really small company they can't afford to have me on the bench, so they'll probably take on any job that happens to come along, which isn't in my best interest.

So what I'll probably do is finish my thesis, which should be done by November, and then venture out on my own. Worrying thing is of course it's a pretty rough market out there, still.

Bregt wrote
    How how!!!!

Well, apparently I'm too "Shell minded"(whatever that is).
    Thing is that I've mainly been doing projects in the Shell company environment.

The current infrastructure provider is VERY ACTIVELY phasing out all remnants of Shell and -in their words- people who moan and complain about "the old days when everything was better" (i.e. bringing in cheap, young labour with no previous knowledge of the culture and environment to provide a majorly slimmed down service), so they're just looking for Project Managers with *outside* experience.

I'm honestly flabbergasted: I survived two rounds of -I thought- very positive and constructive talks, where this subject was very briefly touched upon and -I thought- quickly dispelled. Apparently I was wrong.

sdtom wrote
    Martijn when one door closes another one opens up.

That's actually a pretty good way of looking at it.
    The fact that I know now my days are numbered does free me up to pursue other options.
    All I need to do now is actually find that other door, but I'm sure that's just a matter of time.
    Just gotta get my head in the right place first, but I should be OK again in a couple of days I guessed.

(The unexpected rejection fazed me more than I would have thought. slant)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, what can you do on your own, as a private business? What are the prospects and difficulties for such a move, perhaps? Is it plausible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    On the one hand I've definitely been thinking about that option.
    The main thing holding me back is that I'd have to do my own acquisition. I don't know the *first* thing about that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erm, excuse my question, but what do you mean exactly by "your own acquisition"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Go on the hunt for customers.
    People who would need my services.

I'm currently doing ICT Project Management... it's always harder to sell services than products (it's not like I could open a store).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I see. How would you realistically (if possible) rate your own circle of professional acquaintances / circle when it comes to a possible future of going solo? Do you have a good core to support such a possible new start? As in people who will follow you and your job no matter where you work?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not right now, which is the main strike against moving out on my own now.
    I definitely need to wait until the economic tide changes, and work on my professional network before I'd be able to enter into a venture like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Exactly what i'd like to know, 'cause it's stuff that i am dealing with as we speak too, but on a completely different venue admittedly as i am just starting out. My "roof" under the Aristotle University where i am currently working in part-time collaborative phase business, offers me the perfect venue to build a personal professional cycle, and a safe-house.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Excellent!!!
    I cannot overestimate the need for a network!
    Get people to know you and rely on you and your products and your building a customer base, right there!

It's something I found out way too late, so I'm far more dependent on intermediate agents: the guys and companies who *do* have the contacts, and can offer me job perspectives and opportunities from there (at a price...).

The only thing is -obviously- that it's far more stressful.
    Once your customer well dries up (for whatever reason) you're without money straight away.
    Also, generally financial requirements and regulations tend to be a lot more complicated for freelancers (though obviously you could hire accountants for that).

Your best position is when you're able to do something few others can.
    Unfortunately project management is dime-a-dozen, so I'm competing witha LOT of good people out there.

In music technology I may well believe, as niche-market as it is, you should be able to hack out your own pedestal quite quickly (if you're any good ;-) ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think i can do a couple of things, or two wink

As for this, "Your best position is when you're able to do something few others can.
    "
    , it's indeed the best advice anyone can give you about your profession, kinda like a golden rule.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Depressing. Why show this junk D?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn, you're also in a good position because you have a job which can make it easier to find another. I just know that things will be ok.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tom shows Martijn that he can do a Stallone punk cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Depressing. Why show this junk D?

When i hear the oh mai gawd narmean alerts, i can't control myself. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Try

'I carn't cuntrol meself, narmean'
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Martijn wrote

Sorry to hear that Martijn. I wish you all the best in tiding over this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2009
    I've been doing a bit of volunteer work at a local thrift store called Hidden Treasures, within walking distance for me. Today I had an interesting customer. I had cleaned up and put out an old am-fm-cassette unit with two speakers for the ridiculous price of only 99cents. The cassette player was broken but heh for a buck. A customer looked at the unit and when he started to complain I quickly showed him a unit that both worked for $5.00. He finally admitted it didn't really matter to him because he didn't have any tapes anyway but he wanted me to include a set of batteries for the 99 cent one. Well, four D batteries cost $5.00 and when I told him that I couldn't he said this isn't a thrift store. You people want way too much for your merchandise. Ah the general public.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For the amount of time I spent on the unit I should have just thrown it out but we're really trying to recycle material as much as possible.
    Thomas