• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010
    The results from all of the tests came back and the verdict is degenerative arthritis, yuk. By staying off of it there seems to be less swelling.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Damn man, so sorry. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh my. sad

Is there anything to be done against it?
    ("Degenerative" sounds rather...you know... scary. sad )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sorry to hear this, what is it exactly?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    joint inflammation which is only going to get worse and worse. As I've said many times I'm so grateful I survived the stroke.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Very sorry to hear that. sad

Is there any medication that can help or slower the process? Or at least something?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010 edited
    Tom I'm sorry to hear that. I hope there is a way not to feel pain.

What's annoying me now... 3 kilos. I've gained 3 kilos after Easter because I've stopped going to the gym and ate a really stupidly! But I'm on a strict diet from today and I started working out again so in two weeks I should be fine again. I've promised some photos so I must be in top condition.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010
    Three kilos? Ye Gods! shocked The streets must quake when you pass! The sun is blotted out when you move past a window! Elevators won't go up when you enter!

wink

Good luck with the diet.
    I'm sure for juist trhee kilos you won't have to do anything too harshly.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Three kilos? Ye Gods! shocked The streets must quake when you pass! The sun is blotted out when you move past a window! Elevators won't go up when you enter!

biggrin

(Demetris must be swooning.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I look forward to seeing a photo.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just keep telling myself I'm grateful I survived the stroke.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    We're all grateful you're still here Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm glad that you all care.
  2. Yes we do!

If the degenerative arthritis you were diagnosed with is the same as osteoarthritis then the onset of your symptoms could have been accelerated by your stroke. The changes in the mechanical functioning of the joints due to neuropathic damage feeding these joints may have brought it all to the fore.

For treatment of osteoarthritis a couple of treatment strategies are patient education and exercise. Apparently, an appropriate level of mobility will help to maintain the joint(s) (remaining) health. And there have been occasional cases where well-planned exercise as therapy can reverse the osteoarthritis.

And it seems that good old aspirin is a drug of choice for both anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving reasons

BTW, "...almost all persons by age 40 have some pathological changes in weight-bearing joints, although relatively few people are symptomatic."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010 edited
    Stavi, you're the reason Greece why is starving from lack of food. You're why we're in the goddamned ΔΝΤ.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It will be tylenol for me Alan as the aspirin doesn't like the blood thinner.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    The results from all of the tests came back and the verdict is degenerative arthritis, yuk. By staying off of it there seems to be less swelling.
    Thomas

I'm sorry to hear about that Tom- please take care of yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Tom my grandmum has arthitis and I know the doctor told her very mild exercise and try to keep it elevated as possible. I hope you are not in pain....which I currently am. I hurt my hand ... again... slant
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. I'm sorry to hear this, hope everyone heals up soon - and that the tylenol worked Tom!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just have to keep telling myself I'm grateful that I survived the stroke. This leg thing is a pain in the rear end.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010 edited
    This morning i had to go to the funeral of a friend from university, who committed suicide last week. It's the second person I know from uni that kills himself this year. I hadn't seen him for a long time but we were friends at school and in the same class, working on the same projects or teams now and then.

It's so odd, the thought. As old as I am. So young and much more engaged than me. He had a girlfriend, was in a youth association to help disabled kids, was about to start an own company, ... but then was taken into hospital for a depression. A month after he left the hospital, he killed himself.

He liked the music of Sigur Ros, and also a selection of Tears of the Sun was played during the ceremony. Which didn't make it less discomforting.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010
    Sorry to hear that, Bregt. It sounds strange that you've had two people commiting suicide at the same university in the same year. Then again, as someone who has spent a great many years at a university, I know that there are all kinds of people there, many who feel alienated from the large campus, the small groups, the fraternities and so on. That may work as a catalyst to whatever other personal problems the person is carrying.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    So sorry to hear that Bregt, suicide is horrible and for those that mean to kill themselves ( as in it's not just a cry for help ) you rarely get any warning that anything is wrong, I've known a number of people who've killed themselves and the fallout is a terrible thing indeed.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why would someone kill themselves if they have their health, a house ontop of their heads, food and people who love them like friends and / or a spouse?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why would someone kill themselves if they have their health, a house ontop of their heads, food and people who love them like friends and / or a spouse?

It's perhaps impossible for you or I to understand, D, because we've never been there, deep depression must be a terrible thing and as someone who has never, not for even a brief instant, thought about killing myself I truly don't understand it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

As Timmer said, it's not easy for those of us who don't feel like committing suicide to understand what it feels like. The fact that people do kill themselves, even in good health and with an apparently fortunate lifestyle, is indicative of that fact that for whatever reason, it must be quite serious and, well, can't be good.

Those who kill themselves amidst responsibility (family, friends and other situations) don't get my sympathy. They take the cowards way out... but those who genuinely feel like they have no choice but to commit suicide, that's a terrible thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Those who kill themselves amidst responsibility (family, friends and other situations) don't get my sympathy. They take the cowards way out... but those who genuinely feel like they have no choice but to commit suicide, that's a terrible thing.

What i was asking falls under the 1st category.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Perhaps. But I'm sure depression (deep, clinical depression) is only understood by those who have experienced it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    My mother goes through long bouts of it every 5-6 years and I've seen many times how bad it gets. I can't understand the depression from her point of view but I can see how fucking miserable it gets her. Horrible.
  4. Can we talk about something relatively more cheerful, please?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.