• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2011
    Still have the flu, yuk
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2011
    Right now, a couple/most of my gay friends annoy me.

And I realise the irony, being homosexual myself. Why is it
    that I always find myself with rather shallow non-intellectuals
    whose only interests seem to involve shopping, drinking and
    fornicating?!

crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    They've failed to learn about life yet.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    More fog and I have to go out tonight.
    Tom sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ChrK wrote
    Right now, a couple/most of my gay friends annoy me.

And I realise the irony, being homosexual myself. Why is it
    that I always find myself with rather shallow non-intellectuals
    whose only interests seem to involve shopping, drinking and
    fornicating?!

crazy

I think it's valid for many, many people these days (sadly) not just homosexual people.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    It's something that did not annoy me but it made me extremely sad. Marco Simoncelli died today in a horrible accident in the Sepang Motogp race. He was only 24. cry
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011
    Having to drive in the rain. I have to go the therapy so I've no choice.
  1. A dearly loved proffessor who I dealt with in classes and consultations has died of cancer (I gather throat cancer) this very morning. I miss him deeply.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011
    My sincere condolences to you Pawel. sad
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011
    sad

Very sorry to hear that, Pawel.
    My most sincere commiserations.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. That's another important researcher for me personally who dies in last 3 years, 3 years ago a drunken driver killed another great guy, who probably was a lot behind my decision to go for a PhD in the first place.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2011
    The following belongs in the "Minor Nuisances" category:

I went to get some Christmas cards today, because I usually send out about two dozen of them
    each year (proof: http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9715/1005299p.jpg). Went to a local
    Hallmark, where they had a great variety of very nice-looking cards and assortment boxes on
    display.

I checked where there had been made (Hallmark...you'd think the US, right?). Nope...each and
    every box I looked at said "Made in China". And I put each and every box back on the shelf.

They don't even celebrate Christmas in China!

Consider this my little moment of saying "no". I'm making my own cards this year! wink

CK
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Everything is made in china these days, even American flags.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There are still a lot of things that are made in America. Duracell batteries are one.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    No humidity today (under 10%)= itching
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011
    Went out for my upcoming birthday and promptly ate too much. I stayed up most of the night with acid reflux
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2011 edited
    HALLOWEEN

Or to be more accurate all the friggin trick or treaters banging my windows, ringing my door bell going from house to house begging.

Signed

Curmudgeonly old git slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011
    Goddamn kids... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    Don't they sell stickers or things to put up at the door? Just to let know there's no point trying?

It may seem rude, but it's better than having the kids waiting for nothing and you get annoyed all the time by the door bell. Banging the windows is rude too, by the way!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Isn't that the whole point of the thing?

If there is no 'treat', you have to suffer a 'trick' somehow?

Especially if they see you're home with your lights on etc.?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I guess. But the annoying thing is that The Netherlands didn't have Halloween until...I dunno...five years ago or something?
    It's just something that's been -mainly for commercial reasons- adapted from the Anglosaxon world, without any tradition or feeling surrounding it.

The silly thing is that we *do* have our own variant "St. Maarten", which used to be observed on the 11th of November, and is a more friendly, softer version. No ghouls or monsters, but children roaming the streets carrying Chinese lanterns or candles, singing songs. It's a tradition that has declined steadily over the years. I don't mind -that's the way things go- but I do dislike the adoption of Anglosaxon tradition merely because we see it on TV.

So I have no interest in participating. I think Bregje's idea of "opt out" signs is a very good one, actually.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, I guess. But the annoying thing is that The Netherlands didn't have Halloween until...I dunno...five years ago or something?
    It's just something that's been -mainly for commercial reasons- adapted from the Anglosaxon world, without any tradition or feeling surrounding it.

Same thing here, which is a bit annoying.

There is another, slightly similar tradition here too, though, called 'julebukk'. This takes place between Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve and is about children dressing up in Christmas costumes (Santa Clause etc.) and ringing doorbells to sing carols after which they hopefully receive candy. No 'trick' aspect, though. If there is no candy, you have to move on to the next house. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011 edited
    OK, this goes way, WAY beyond "annoying", as this news item made me absolutely furious.
    Furious.

It's a news item on an old video (2004) of an American dad taking a belt (a BELT!) to his teen age daughter for...downloading music.
    The man is a judge, by the way.
    The daughter has just made the video public.

I can understand parental discipline. I even think you can have a good discussion on the physical side of guidance.
    But this is just sickening to behold.

Warning: Don't watch the video included in the item if you can't handle physical abuse. I made myself watch it to understand the gravity. It is thoroughly disturbing. Especially the participation of the mother and that the moment he (finally) seems to be done...he goes back for some more.

Note: the reason it is filmed is that allegedly the daughter left the web cam running to capture the abuse.
    Why it only came out now is unknown. Being thoroughly weary and mistrustful of any one news source as I generally am, I will therefore make the small proviso that this may still turn out to be manipulation of some kind. I guess we'll see in the very near future as apparently daddy dearest is taking this to court.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christ, that was disgusting. And infuriating. angry

I had just posted a funny video which made me laugh over in the 'funny videos' thread and then I saw this. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    The silly thing is that we *do* have our own variant "St. Maarten", which used to be observed on the 11th of November, and is a more friendly, softer version. No ghouls or monsters, but children roaming the streets carrying Chinese lanterns or candles, singing songs. It's a tradition that has declined steadily over the years. I don't mind -that's the way things go- but I do dislike the adoption of Anglosaxon tradition merely because we see it on TV.

We have something similar in our neighbourhood here, and I participated when I was young. It's on a Friday in the autumn holidays (so around 1 November). In the afternoon we emptied a sugar beet (suikerbiet?) and put in a candle. Around 7PM we enlightened the candle that we put inside and started walking through the neighbourhood, with in front of the walk a guy with bagpipes. Lots of parents and friends joined. Kids rang the door bell and collected candy. People who were at home, knew they would be ringing. I've done this until I was 12 or so. wink

I don't know if this happens somewhere else, because we have a very active bunch of voluntary people doing all sorts of activities (I was once the web master, one of the first neighbourhoods to have a site in Belgium! wink ).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I had just posted a funny video which made me laugh over in the 'funny videos' thread and then I saw this. Talk about an emotional rollercoaster.

I'll head on over there. smile I could do with a bit of cheer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    I don't know if this happens somewhere else, because we have a very active bunch of voluntary people doing all sorts of activities (I was once the web master, one of the first neighbourhoods to have a site in Belgium! wink ).

It's the same, some Googling shows. It's also Sint Maarten, and also celebrated on 11/11. But apparently in Belgium they kept the veggie basis for the candle holder (using a hollowed out beet -interesting to see the link with the Anglosaxon pumpkin there! It seems very clear that both feasts have their origin in the same heathen corner- rather than the Chinese lantern adopted in The Netherlands).

Ineterstingly the Belgian variant seems more close to Halloween in spirit, as the original name for the "beet lantern" aparently is....Death Lantern! shocked freezing
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Odd! Sint-Maarten is not celebrated in this region, but in Antwerp it is. We celebrate Sinterklaas, whereas they don't have that. Makes no sense all this! dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Antwerp doesn't have Sinterklaas? uhm Wut?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin

I meant some regions in the province of Antwerp. I think also in Limburg, which is far away anyway. wink

EDIT: Here is a good explanation. He's all over the place, but in general less common then in your country.
    Kazoo