• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015
    I suspect the polls for this election are particularly hard to interpret because of the emergence of other parties. Labour and the Tories having about 35% each of the vote might mean Labour has 30% in England the the Tories have 50% and so Labour wins barely any seats, and 40% in Scotland but the SNP has 45% and so Labour wins barely any seats. But then if UKIP's 15% is concentrated in certain seats which the Tories would otherwise win then Labour could still win the election even if as expected they're wiped out in Scotland. It's a hard one to call. I think it's quite interesting, moreso than usual.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSynchrotones
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2015 edited
    Stop cold-calling me! I'm not Jack Rabbit. And I don't need central heating! crazy
    This number is supposed to be ex-directory... but more importantly STOP INTERRUPTING MY MUSIC!

Also-- No, I didn't have an accident on the 10th of March last year in a white transit van. No, my workplace is quite safe. No, I already claimed my PPI, but thanks for asking. dizzy
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2015
    Income taxes.

Technical changes, legal changes, practical changes. UGH!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015
    Even on retirement for me there are still problems for me too.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. The amount of time it's taking to add albums into a new iTunes library via "Automatically Add To iTunes". Seventeen-hundred albums (out of a total of 8000+), it's just being so slow.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015
    Had my first Sunday off work in months, this weekend just gone, so I decided to cook up a nice Roast for myself and the girlfriend but slashed my fucking hand open on a knife before I barely got started. Now I've had to have surgery (twice!) to repair tendons and I won't be able to use my thumb for a good eight weeks.

crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn! Did you drink and cook?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    "ouch!" Must have been a deep cut.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The first cut is the deepest....baby, I know.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Synth effects that sound like ripping errors.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015
    Burqas. Or in this particular case, a niqab.

I get annoyed when shops allow Muslim women to come in dressed head to toe in a cloth bag and yet ask bikers, for example, to take off their helmets. EVERYONE should be required to show their face when they enter into a shop, especially if that's the rules of the establishment. Part of me feels sorry for the women who've been indoctrinated with this sexually repressive religious bullshit, the other part is angry they feel they have the right to be above the rules due to those irrational beliefs. The worse part is people, particularly staff, are afraid to tell them to either take the mask off or stay out of the shop, which is how it should be. It's not that I blame the staff as such, but it's ridiculous that they are forced to feel this way. They have every right to tell them to fuck off.

Fuck theocracy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2015 edited
    So I woke up, had breakfast and wanted to put on some music. A loud *POOF* came from the speakers and gone was the sound. Either the receiver or speakers are history! Damn. This is a HiFi system, and I don't expect anything less in the future, so there are costs on the horizon.

These things always happen when your economy isn't able to handle the replacements!

This will be a silent, tinnitus-heavy next few months.... sad
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Unlikely that both speakers would quit simultaneously. So, yeah, it's probably the receiver. I expect something similar to happen every time I switch on my 12 year old tube TV.

By the way: How do you connect PC and HiFi? Bluetooth? WiFi? Analogue cable? Digital cable?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Unlikely that both speakers would quit simultaneously. So, yeah, it's probably the receiver. I expect something similar to happen every time I switch on my 12 year old tube TV.

By the way: How do you connect PC and HiFi? Bluetooth? WiFi? Analogue cable? Digital cable?

A long analogue cable. The receiver is from the late 80s, I think.

Weirdly, the sound came back again now. It's as if the receiver turned itself off after the poof, and then 5 minutes later I could hear it turning on again (I never turned it off). But it's clear sign that it's reaching its end of days. It can go poof at any given minute.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015 edited
    And so the final *poof* came this morning, followed by the metallic stench of something electric burning and -- in fact -- smoke coming from the receiver. The End.

Now I've plugged some silly PC speakers directly into my computer, while I wait for better financial times and a new receiver down the road.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Burqas. Or in this particular case, a niqab.

I get annoyed when shops allow Muslim women to come in dressed head to toe in a cloth bag and yet ask bikers, for example, to take off their helmets. EVERYONE should be required to show their face when they enter into a shop, especially if that's the rules of the establishment. Part of me feels sorry for the women who've been indoctrinated with this sexually repressive religious bullshit, the other part is angry they feel they have the right to be above the rules due to those irrational beliefs. The worse part is people, particularly staff, are afraid to tell them to either take the mask off or stay out of the shop, which is how it should be. It's not that I blame the staff as such, but it's ridiculous that they are forced to feel this way. They have every right to tell them to fuck off.

Fuck theocracy.

People take their religio-cultural dress codes very seriously, and you won't get women throwing their burqas in the air while running to the beach to try out their new bikinis, simply because these things have been banned from shops. Also, these women are already fairly isolated from society, so telling them that they are not allowed to shop anymore, seems harmful to me, and it certainly won't do anything to address their repressive religious values, as they'll just be isolated even further.

Of course there are certain places where people have to show their face, for instance in an arport, or if a person has some career as a teacher or a judge or something, but telling them they have to show their face simply to shop, seems a bit extreme to me, and I can't really see that improving security in any real semse. There isn't really a history of women with burqas/niqabs robbing stores, while biker helmets have frequently been used during such activities, so I'm not surprised shops tend to react differently to the two situations.

Anyway, the curious thing about burqas and niqabs is that they are rather uncommon, yet people debate them like they're a major issue. We've been through these debates in Denmark as well; a country with a populationg of 5,5 million people, and only 3 burqas and 150-200 niqabs. We've barely had debates about our participation in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but whenever stories about burqas crop up in the media, it's suddenly the biggest and most pressing issue in the world.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But as you're undoubtedly realise, Peter, it's not the actual practicality but the principle of the thing (otherwise we wouldn't need to debate religious leaders wishing death on homosexuals either, as that really doesn't happen all that much (openly)).

The niqab and burqah are symbols of repression and patriarchal tyranny, negating and challenging 100 years of suffragette movement. That alone, and the fact that there is a whole contingent of people basically suggesting that this kind of repression is somehow "free choice" (rather than the oppressive brainwashing it really is), makes this very much worth continuously questioning and debating.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2015 edited
    plindboe wrote

People take their religio-cultural dress codes very seriously, and you won't get women throwing their burqas in the air while running to the beach to try out their new bikinis, simply because these things have been banned from shops. Also, these women are already fairly isolated from society, so telling them that they are not allowed to shop anymore, seems harmful to me, and it certainly won't do anything to address their repressive religious values, as they'll just be isolated even further.

I'd say it's par for the course. It's primarily a matter of safety and security, as well as the rules of the establishment, rather than an ideological stance (however, a point has to be made as well, religion doesn't get a free pass just because it's religion, and there will be some collateral damage).

Of course there are certain places where people have to show their face, for instance in an arport, or if a person has some career as a teacher or a judge or something, but telling them they have to show their face simply to shop, seems a bit extreme to me, and I can't really see that improving security in any real semse.

Not at all. If a shop doesn't allow people to come in wearing anything that will conceal their identity, this is a rule that must be met equally by anyone who chooses to enter into that shop (except in extreme cases, like, say, a burn victim with bandages or something... or someone who literally doesn't have a face. Insert your own extreme example). It also means someone could use a niqab as a disguise. Yes, that's an extreme case and the chances are it would be rare, but it's still an open door. But it's not extreme to expect people to observe the rules regardless of irrational beliefs. I'd first ask them politely of course, and explain the rules. If they're not happy, well then they'll have to lump it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    [niqab and burqah] symbols of repression and patriarchal tyranny, negating and challenging 100 years of suffragette movement.

A dictionary-worthy definition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    The niqab and burqah are symbols of repression and patriarchal tyranny, negating and challenging 100 years of suffragette movement. That alone, and the fact that there is a whole contingent of people basically suggesting that this kind of repression is somehow "free choice" (rather than the oppressive brainwashing it really is), makes this very much worth continuously questioning and debating.

Good points; although I do think it's a little more complicated than brainwashing. We're all in a sense "brainwashed" when we grow up, as we all automatically absorb the cultural norms that surround us and later in life manage to convince ourselves that all these beliefs, traditions and values we hold are things we've freely chosen to adopt. Anyway, I'm not against questioning and debating these dress codes at all, along with the much more common veil; in fact I do think that they are important to challenge and criticize.

A problem I have is when people promote laws prohibiting the wearing of this type of clothing, as if such laws will somehow make these cultural norms magically dissipate. Moreover it bothers me when people talk as if they care about the rights and freedoms of these women, yet in the same breath argue for enacting laws that will most likely only restrict and isolate them even further. I guess what I long for in public discourse is an objective critique of these dress codes, instead of the highly emotional outbursts and the proposals of laws that will do nothing to address the roots of the problem and will likely have negative consequences for the people most in need of help.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, I think you're getting my rant confused with prohibiting religious attire in the law. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying rules should not be broken or ignored because of religion, which includes wearing niqabs in public shops and establishments where showing your face is, in my opinion, quite important.

Also, I agree education is the key in terms of getting people to change their mind. It always will be. I'd be against any law that prohibits wearing certain items of clothing, regardless of whether it represents sexually repressive religious bullshit. But my point is about not conceding to religious bullshit rather than banning it.
  4. I think in the whole discussion you ignore the fact how do Muslim women feel about wearing this attire... From what I know they treat it actually as a point of pride. That's why after the Sydney situation there was a whole I'll Ride With You action... so they aren't afraid of wearing it in public, should they want to. What my opinion of the Sydney attack (whether it really was IS' doing) is another thing, though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think in the whole discussion you ignore the fact how do Muslim women feel about wearing this attire... From what I know they treat it actually as a point of pride.

I ignore how they feel simply because it's beside the point. I'm not talking about changing hearts and minds, necessarily, this is about basic rules that everyone should follow equally. If a shop doesn't mind a person coming in wearing a bike helmet, then by all means let a flock of burqa-wearing sheep do their shopping in peace. But if the rules prohibit anything that might conceal a person's identity, as most places do, then a Muslim should follow those rules too. It's very simple. (That they believe in an illiterate desert merchant who spoke to a violent war god who told him that women should be treated as chattel has no bearing on whether they should be allowed to rise above such rules.)
  5. Muhammad did not speak to God, he spoke to the Archangel Gabriel. (According to tradition of course.)

Anyway, Steven, I don't like your aggressive attitude towards all things religion. It seems unenlightened in itself and it doesn't help your course.

The simple reason, why that shop won't go by your rule is that it would probably loose any Muslim customer whatsoever and hence a lot of money.

A shop isn't a public place. It's up to the owner to tolerate in his shops whatever he deems right. If you don't like their politics, do your shopping some place else.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sounds like blatant and random discrimination to me, Captain, and not one iota different from the 'shops are not public places so I can refuse to serve gays' discussion that is now razing the States.
    And considering intolerance towards the unabashedly intolerant (and aggressively self entitled) "unenlightened" is, with all due respect, just bloody ridiculous. To accept without thorough, continued discussion is not in ANY way "enlightened". In fact, enlightenment always starts by questioning. Asking "why", and not letting up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think in the whole discussion you ignore the fact how do Muslim women feel about wearing this attire...

Quite in contrast to Steven, I DO take their feelings into account...and I question them!
    I fully realise the exceedingly (and increasingly) slippery slope here though....yet -always having been rather a fan of enlightened depotism- I feel a certain sympathy for Rousseau's philosophy to "force people to be free".
    Of course it's never going to be as easy as that. It's conceivable that some people TRULY get off on wearing an insanely uncomfortable, hot, sweaty cloth while they see their men cavorting in swimsuits (yeah, this is the one point I will nit back down from: it's BLATANTLY not religious, but patriarchal, hence sexual, i.e. fearing female independence and sexuality).
    Heck, some people truly only derive sexual pleasure from pain. So yeah, it's conceivable.

But the vast majority do jt out if habit, out of fear for the Powers That Be (hopelessly conservative, women-fearing clerics and partiarchs), out of cultural considerations, or -and this is the most human trait and thus I would assume the most common- out if resistance to change. ANY change.

And that makes it completely fair game to keep on challenging and pushing: slaves that freely 'choose' to remain slaves (as, analogously, happened in massive majorities right after the American Civil War) SHOULD be pushed to be free, however hard these first steps may (and will!) be!
  6. Martijn wrote
    Sounds like blatant and random discrimination to me, Captain, and not one iota different from the 'shops are not public places so I can refuse to serve gays' discussion that is now razing the States.
    And considering intolerance towards the unabashedly intolerant (and aggressively self entitled) "unenlightened" is, with all due respect, just bloody ridiculous. To accept without thorough, continued discussion is not in ANY way "enlightened". In fact, enlightenment always starts by questioning. Asking "why", and not letting up.

Discrimination against whom? People who wear helmets? Give me a break! All I sense here is an irrational fury against religion and borderline racism against Muslims.

You may discuss till Kingdom come. But words like "religious bullshit" should not have any plays there.

Rousseau's "forcing people to be free" is the path towards fascism. History has proven that time and again. That way of thinking is outright dangerous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Muhammad did not speak to God, he spoke to the Archangel Gabriel. (According to tradition of course.)

You're right. That makes all the difference. How silly of me.

Anyway, Steven, I don't like your aggressive attitude towards all things religion. It seems unenlightened in itself and it doesn't help your course.

I question religion without apology, which may seem aggressive to anyone who's accustomed to treading lightly for fear of offending, but I'm not aggressive about it (plus I'm not trying to persuade any Muslims here, I'm merely venting frustration. This is why I mentioned I'd ask them politely, a point you seemed to have missed). Any form of theocracy makes me angry though, to varying degrees, and rightly so. That's what you might be getting confused with aggressiveness towards religious people, which is not necessarily the case. (In fact I recognise that many Muslims are victims. None suffer theocracy as much as Muslims themselves.)

If we were having a discussion about the choice -or lack thereof- of wearing burqas and the morality of it, and my audience were largely Muslim, I imagine my tone would be entirely different.

The simple reason, why that shop won't go by your rule is that it would probably loose any Muslim customer whatsoever and hence a lot of money.

That doesn't negate the principle of it, that merely explains one reason why the principle isn't held up.

A shop isn't a public place. It's up to the owner to tolerate in his shops whatever he deems right. If you don't like their politics, do your shopping some place else.

You're right. It's up to the shop owner or manager. A shop is open to the public, and its rules should be respected by anyone who enters into its premises. I can't believe that's a point that needs reiterating.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote

Discrimination against whom? People who wear helmets? Give me a break! All I sense here is an irrational fury against religion and borderline racism against Muslims.

The irony is it's actually more racist to call Muslims a race. And irrational fury? I think much of what's been said has flown clear over your head.

You may discuss till Kingdom come. But words like "religious bullshit" should not have any plays there.

Yes they do. It's not a reference to religious people, it's referring about religious ideas. 'Bullshit' is an indispensable word when discussing religion.

Rousseau's "forcing people to be free" is the path towards fascism. History has proven that time and again. That way of thinking is outright dangerous.

Nobody's even remotely suggesting that. Crikey. rolleyes (Edit: Martijn alluded to it, but clearly he wasn't advocating anything that would lead to fascism. You seem unable -or unwilling- to deal in anything other than absolutes, Darth Volker.)