• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. There's so much legitimately awful shit that Trump does that it serves absolutely nothing to throw a hissy fit over, say, how he eats his steaks with ketchup. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2017
    Everything these days in the news is covered as far as Trump is concerned
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Don't ever tell your doctor you're depressed. Before I knew it I spent 10 days in a geratric ward, yikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If they hear such a thing, doctors will throw you either in a 'home for the elderly' or the insane wink Get well mate. My wishes are with you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    exactly my friend. what saved me was I am my power of attorney
  2. That sounds tough, Tom. All the best to you. Draw strength from the music you love.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2017
    Doing okay today. The new medication seems to be helping me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    All the best Tom!!!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Doing okay but the mind is way ahead of the physical part of what is going on with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017
    sdtom wrote
    Doing okay but the mind is way ahead of the physical part of what is going on with me.

That is absolutely galling. slant
    Very best wishes for your recovery and coping with this situation, Tom.
    It's a horror being 'locked' inside a 'machine' that simply won't keep up with an agile mind.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2017
    thanks so much for the encouragement to go on.
  3. This guy walks into where I'm at. He just looks like an idiot.

And the whole time he was there -- probably half an hour or so -- he never stopped making noises. I'm not kidding.
    It.
    Never.
    Stopped.

Random moaning noises.
    Random "music" humming".
    Random rap beats.
    Random hitting of things.
    Random weird bodily noises like sucking on his snot.
    Hitting the keyboard hard with his fingers. Yeah, that'll make it type correctly!

Finally the asshole leaves. And was he truly an idiot? Well, he didn't shut down what he was doing and left his wallet behind.

He's a real life version of THIS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWdik29MTrE
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2017
    I'm so sick of doctors and pills. My left leg is showing edema so the nurse calls my doctor and she immediately takes me off my blood pressure medication and puts me on a water pill which causes me to urinate frequently. The swelling is reduced but my head feels the tension of no bp medication. Stay healthy and when it is time to look up at the flowers go quickly. I'm okay mentally right now as my new depression medication is okay.
    Tom sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017 edited
    The new trailer for Close Encounters of the Third Kind's 40th Anniversary

Watch it and weep. crazy

So in essence it's a trailer for modern audiences that require no emotional connection with music.

I hope Spielberg didn't greenlight this piece of crap trailer.

And I'm absolutely happy to be the opposite of modern. rolleyes

By comparison, check out the 30th Anniversary trailer, which actually uses Williams' score, so a 100 times better.

I know it's only a trailer, but imagine the entire movie scored like that, which it would be if the film were made today... vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017
    DreamTheater wrote
    The new trailer for Close Encounters of the Third Kind's 40th Anniversary

Watch it and weep. crazy

Oh please. I grinned all the way through it. Good acting, fascinating visuals, who cares if they put some 'epic' music on it. smile
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I care. They're completely misleading new and young audiences with this cynical, focus-group marketing. It's not just the generic epic music, it's the way it's edited to make it seem like a Christopher Nolan film. It isn't that. Not even remotely. It's a dishonest way to promote what most seem to agree is a classic.

Bearing in mind I'm not even a fan of the film. Love the score, it's one of my favourites, but the film has always left me a little confused as to what the whole point is. But at least market the re-release honestly without reducing it to this generic garbage.
  4. Steven wrote
    I care. They're completely misleading new and young audiences with this cynical, focus-group marketing. It's not just the generic epic music, it's the way it's edited to make it seem like a Christopher Nolan film. It isn't that. Not even remotely. It's a dishonest way to promote what most seem to agree is a classic.

Bearing in mind I'm not even a fan of the film. Love the score, it's one of my favourites, but the film has always left me a little confused as to what the whole point is. But at least market the re-release honestly without reducing it to this generic garbage.

C'mon, you just don't don't like the religious overtones. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We actually kind of love those five overtones.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. applause Smartypants! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote

It's dishonest to put triumphant music over the 40th anniversary of Close Encounters? Dishonest to edit in the most exciting scenes?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    100% agree with Steven. Well said.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote

It's dishonest to put triumphant music over the 40th anniversary of Close Encounters? Dishonest to edit in the most exciting scenes?

Triumphant isn't the problem; it's the style that is. The music just isn't fitting (and the same goes for most modern trailers -- they suck).

And yes, editing can completely shift the tone of a film. If you're advertising a film, it has to reflect at least in some way the tone. This trailer doesn't do that. At all. It wants us to think this is a modern action thriller. That's just plain dishonest and not to true to the source material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote

Triumphant isn't the problem; it's the style that is. The music just isn't fitting (and the same goes for most modern trailers -- they suck).

And yes, editing can completely shift the tone of a film. If you're advertising a film, it has to reflect at least in some way the tone. This trailer doesn't do that. At all. It wants us to think this is a modern action thriller. That's just plain dishonest and not to true to the source material.

Sorry, I just can't really see the fuss. Trailers are supposed to make it look marketable. Every trailer released this year is going to make its movie look as exciting as possible. It's not 'dishonest', it's the whole point of trailers - to get you interested in a movie.

Would you rather the old-style, stiff, "And featuring RICHARD DREYFUSS as ROY NEARY"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2017 edited
    There's making it look marketable and then there's making it look like a completely different film. Honestly, this is the easiest thing to rebuke. It's a modern, generic and misleading trailer for a film from a completely different era. If you like that, fine. But you'd have to be dumb, deaf and blind not to notice the disparate tones between the film and this trailer.
  6. Aidabaida wrote
    Steven wrote

Sorry, I just can't really see the fuss. Trailers are supposed to make it look marketable. Every trailer released this year is going to make its movie look as exciting as possible. It's not 'dishonest', it's the whole point of trailers - to get you interested in a movie.

Would you rather the old-style, stiff, "And featuring RICHARD DREYFUSS as ROY NEARY"

Not sure how old you are Aidabaida but when I was younger and when I was still into Hollywood films, trailers were epic mini-movies with a reason to exist all of their own. Some trailers were better put together than the movies themselves, in terms of editing, and clever use of music.

Check out this masterpiece for The Abyss. Or this one for Independence Day.

Trailers nowadays are put together by a on super-computers by some clever program algorithm. I can't fathom there's even a human hand in it, because of their mostly generic by the numbers nature. And I absolutely loathe that rumbling LFE sound effect that winds down (not sure how to explain it) they use in almost every modern trailer.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. I agree with Steven. Why not even let the magical Williams score in it, would've made it a lot better.

It's almost they're embarrased that CE3K has THAT kind of music in the film so they try to attract a new generation that maybe expects not such an operatic glorious score. Because that would be too old-fashioned. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Another visit to the doctor and four more changes.
  8. Yeah Hollywood needs some new trailer script doctors, because I don't think four more changes will suffice. cheesy

Couldn't resist, so I'll get my coat. shame
  9. Just suppose this aesthetically anachronistic trailer lures some young people into watching the film who would never have done that otherwise. I should say, that would be worth the sacrifice of Williams' music that is unharmed in the film proper anyway.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    Not sure how old you are Aidabaida but when I was younger and when I was still into Hollywood films, trailers were epic mini-movies with a reason to exist all of their own. Some trailers were better put together than the movies themselves, in terms of editing, and clever use of music.

Check out this masterpiece for The Abyss. Or this one for Independence Day.

Trailers nowadays are put together by a on super-computers by some clever program algorithm. I can't fathom there's even a human hand in it, because of their mostly generic by the numbers nature. And I absolutely loathe that rumbling LFE sound effect that winds down (not sure how to explain it) they use in almost every modern trailer.

I know this is reputation suicide, but I don't think art is significantly worse today than in the 80s or 90s. I don't subscribe to the "back in the good ol' days everything was awesome. Today, it's all computers to keep the kiddies entertained."

Trailers today are (aside from BRAAAAMS) better than at any other point in history. There's the occasional stinker, but overall, I'll take "Thor: Ragnarok"'s energetic immigrant song instead of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture's" freeze frames and stately voice, "And William Shatner as Kirk." I'll take the "War for the Planet of the Apes" trailer over the raucous Independence Day trailer.

Just compare the trailer for 1977's Star Wars to the Star Wars: Force Awakens trailers. Its a massive jump in quality. I'll take anachronistic "epic" music for Close Encounters over the stale, old style any day.