• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009
    My 300 Gigabytes of laptop harddrive (on two discs) is about to be used up, so I need to transfer a bunch of my video and music files to an external harddrive to free up space.

So here's the deal:

I want a minimum of 1 Terrabyte. I want the physical harddisk itself to be as small as possible. I want a price between 500-800 NOK (appr. $83-$133).

Does such a thing exist? If so, do you have any recommendations?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I bought a 1TB Western Digital external hard drive (USB 2) in The Netherlands for about 90 Euros, if memory serves, so you should definitely be able to pick something up in the price range you mention.

Does it need to be on sporadically or indefinitely, though?

I use mine for the odd back-up now and again, so I have no need for active cooling.
    If you're gonna use it intensively for a longer period, you should probably look for a wide-case one with proper cooling vents/options (actual active cooling -which I would prefer- on external drives is a bitch to find. I've tried. slant )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I bought a 1TB Western Digital external hard drive (USB 2) in The Netherlands for about 90 Euros, if memory serves, so you should definitely be able to pick something up in the price range you mention.

Does it need to be on sporadically or indefinitely, though?

I use mine for the odd back-up now and again, so I have no need for active cooling.
    If you're gonna use it intensively for a longer period, you should probably look for a wide-case one with proper cooling vents/options (actual active cooling -which I would prefer- on external drives is a bitch to find. I've tried. slant )

Same as you, just periodically untill the external harddrive is full too.

Thanks for the tip.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've got the Western brand also but I have a cooling model because I leave it on all the time. I find that simpler.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. For me, a Lacie D2 Quadra is the thing that seems to be meeting my needs at the moment. The 1TB version seems a lot more robust than their last series.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I'd recommend the 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black with the 7200rpm drive and 32MB cache. Pair that with the Rosewill External enclosure model that comes with a cooling fan, and you're set. That combo cost me about $120 at newegg.com and I have two of those.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote

Thor,

I have two of these Rosewill model. Best enclosure for the money, IMO.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817173042

And two of this HDD model.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6822136284
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    You should check and pay more attention on the protocol (usb, Ethernet Firewire E-SATA etc, depending on the kind of usage you'll be wanting the ex-hdd for) more than actual size and terabytes whose prices have been ridiculously diminished through the years anyway.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    You should check and pay more attention on the protocol (usb, Ethernet Firewire E-SATA etc, depending on the kind of usage you'll be wanting the ex-hdd for) more than actual size and terabytes whose prices have been ridiculously diminished through the years anyway.

A good point!

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2009
    I have my eye on this one, mostly because of the price (appr. $130 with shipping):

http://www.mpx.no/aspx/produkt/prdinfov … lid=102228

Any experience with it?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, i have the 500 gb version of that and it's the best hard drive i ever bought. Very solid case too, one of the most powerful and resistant in the market which is pretty crucial for an ex-hdd that will carry your personal data. I say go for it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sweet! Thanks for the rec.
    I am extremely serious.