• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter (Our Mothers, Our Fathers) - acclaimed recent German TV mini series set in World War II on the eastern front.

Fabian Römer's music for this has recently been released by Colosseum Records:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unsere-Müt … p;sr=301-1

Has anyone seen this series? Sounds like my kind of thing.

While I haven't seen the series (I don't think because of this it will be aired here), it has made the news in Poland. The depiction of Polish resistance in the movie led to a formal protest issued to the TV station that produced and broadcast it. They have reacted to the protests and will produce another project which will show our resistance.

Yeah, I heard about that myself. Yesterday someone from Poland heading a film festival there was interviewed in German Radio Deutschlandfunk. I haven't seen the film jet and so I cannot comment on it. This is a very complex matter and many people react quite emotionally. (That gentlement was quite matter-of-factly though.) Like if You tell a Frensh about Vichy and colaboration.
    I will come back to this in a few days.

Timmer:
    I don't know if there is a Britisch DVD. The German one does not seem to have English subs, but I will check that.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2013
    Yeah, I wouldn't want any dubbing but I don't speak German so would want it with English subs.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What is the Polish controversy?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. The Polish National Army (our resistance) is shown, apparently, as a bunch of stupid Anti-semites. While there was a nationalist branch of the resistance (every political party from the interbellum had its own resistance army during the war), which was heavily anti-Semitic, this was hardly true for the National Army itself. They tried to help out during the Ghetto Uprising (more precisely they tried drilling through the walls to aid the Jewish fighters), but failed due to heavy fire and during the Warsaw Uprising (an event that started in August, 1944, often confused by the West as the same event as the Ghetto Uprising from 1943) they liberated a prison, where Jewish prisoners were held during the first (successful) days of the fighting. All Jewish prisoners joined the fight. So the National Army (connected politically with the slightly left-wing - through anti-Communist! - government in exile) wasn't anti-semitic at all.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Timmer wrote
    Yeah, I wouldn't want any dubbing but I don't speak German so would want it with English subs.

Checked it: no English subs, sorry.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Polish National Army (our resistance) is shown, apparently, as a bunch of stupid Anti-semites. While there was a nationalist branch of the resistance (every political party from the interbellum had its own resistance army during the war), which was heavily anti-Semitic, this was hardly true for the National Army itself. They tried to help out during the Ghetto Uprising (more precisely they tried drilling through the walls to aid the Jewish fighters), but failed due to heavy fire and during the Warsaw Uprising (an event that started in August, 1944, often confused by the West as the same event as the Ghetto Uprising from 1943) they liberated a prison, where Jewish prisoners were held during the first (successful) days of the fighting. All Jewish prisoners joined the fight. So the National Army (connected politically with the slightly left-wing - through anti-Communist! - government in exile) wasn't anti-semitic at all.

Thank you Pawel, I did know some of this but I just wanted confirmation of what had caused the controversy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Checked it: no English subs, sorry.

Darn! slant
  4. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Polish National Army (our resistance) is shown, apparently, as a bunch of stupid Anti-semites. While there was a nationalist branch of the resistance (every political party from the interbellum had its own resistance army during the war), which was heavily anti-Semitic, this was hardly true for the National Army itself. They tried to help out during the Ghetto Uprising (more precisely they tried drilling through the walls to aid the Jewish fighters), but failed due to heavy fire and during the Warsaw Uprising (an event that started in August, 1944, often confused by the West as the same event as the Ghetto Uprising from 1943) they liberated a prison, where Jewish prisoners were held during the first (successful) days of the fighting. All Jewish prisoners joined the fight. So the National Army (connected politically with the slightly left-wing - through anti-Communist! - government in exile) wasn't anti-semitic at all.

Thank you Pawel, I did know some of this but I just wanted confirmation of what had caused the controversy.

Next time I get to be in London, I want to go to the building that served as the headquarters of our government in exile. Since I always stay in Ealing, that shouldn't be difficult.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Dredd (uncut version / FSK 18)
    The Hobbit

And I bought as a special bargain a DVD about Thor, jet the guy on the front cover does not resemble Thor at all! Istead he's wielding a hammer? Is Thor in the carpenter buisness? I thought he was goint to be a teacher?
    That's all very mysterious...

wink
    Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2013
    A DVD about Thor????
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apparently it's quite brief.
    Though horribly out of sequence.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Timmer wrote
    A DVD about Thor????

A DVD featuring a film that features Thor. Smartypants! Don't mock my English until you speak German.

http://dirkalbrecht.net/hermannsdenkmal … enkmal.jpg

wink
    Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ja Wohl mein Captain biggrin

But that ain't Thor, he's got a sword tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hey! I actually DO have a DVD out:

http://cdn.filmbasen.no/images/temp/42146.jpg

Now available in cut-out bins all over Norway...he, he.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

cheesy punk
  7. Thor wrote

haha, excellent smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Timmer wrote
    Ja Wohl mein Captain biggrin

But that ain't Thor, he's got a sword tongue

Jawohl, mein Kapitän. (Not bad for a start!)

No, that isn't Thor, that's Arminius, the Germanian chieftain who defeted the Romans led by Varus in 9 c.e. .
    It's how the Germans imagined the fellow in the 19th century after the wars of liberation against Napoleon. That is the reason why Arminius looks towards France rather then towards Italy.

It's considered a traditional symbol of German pride and patriotism.

Volker
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

haha, excellent smile

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2013 edited
    A few months ago, I finally bought a Blu-ray drive and Mac Blu-ray Player (http://www.macblurayplayer.com/).
    I know my tiny screen of the white MacBook is not the best equipment to watch BDs, but I couldn't resist because I hated the fact that High-Definition QuickTime Trailers looked better than my DVDs, even on such a tiny screen. And I wanted loads of extra features on those new Disney BDs... :drool:

So I bought a driver and a player software, since I have no TV. They didn't cost much, compared to usual BD player for TV.

The first disc I bought was a copy of The Lio...., oh, actually not! Surprise! My first purchase was RENT. The musical movie I've been keen on since I rented (no pun...) the DVD last December. I confess that I play the soundtrack everyday tongue We're not gonna pay reeeeeeent. (Actually I pay. Every month. I'm a good girl.) It's worth seeing it in HD, since it's also visually beautiful, not only musically.

The second purchase was, of course, The Lion King. bunny It looked great! You can see all the lines the animators drew, and the facial expressions of Simba even when he is a tiny figure in the background.

And two lengthy new documentaries are really worth watching. I always love to see artists talking about their works. Including Hans Zimmer. cheesy It's also nice to hear them finally, after 17 years, sharing more sensitive topics (like the director replacement) than previous DVD extras.
    Though, I got a bit disappointed that they didn't include the old extra features from LD and DVD, because there were more interviews on the score and songs. But as documentary pieces, BD extras had much better quality (one of two was directed by Don Hahn, the producer).
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2013
    And I already had two BDs in DVD/Blu-ray double pack I bought a few years ago (BOLT and How To Train Your Dragon). Finally I got to see extras that aren't on DVD. I haven't seen the main features yet.

Thinking about the next purchase. Treasure Planet, US version, because it's not (and will never be?) released yet in Japan. Or Brother Bear, which will be released soon in Japan, but US version is much cheaper rolleyes

Or Road To Perdition.
  10. There are two films I own on BluRay without owning a BR player:

2001: A Space Odyssey

and

2010: Odyssey II / The Year we Make Contact

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    There are two films I own on BluRay without owning a BR player:

Can you watch it by.... staring the bluish disc?
  11. That would be neet, wouldn't it? biggrin

No, the ting is, I own a 10 years old 16:9 tube TV set that refuses to die. On the one hand that is a good thing for it saves me money, on the other hand this prevents me from going HD.

A BluRay player wouldn't do my any good in combination with that TV set, I guess

But the day I will buy a flat screen TV (no bigger than my present tube set is) a BlueRay player will come with it. Those two films hold a very special place in my heart and I want them ready. That will be a 6 hour martinee of pure bliss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    That would be neet, wouldn't it? biggrin

No, the ting is, I own a 10 years old 16:9 tube TV set that refuses to die. On the one hand that is a good thing for it saves me money, on the other hand this prevents me from going HD.

A BluRay player wouldn't do my any good in combination with that TV set, I guess

But the day I will buy a flat screen TV (no bigger than my present tube set is) a BlueRay player will come with it. Those two films hold a very special place in my heart and I want them ready. That will be a 6 hour martinee of pure bliss.

ah I know what it's like... if I had a bit more money at that time, I could have bought TLK BD earlier even before I got the drive/player biggrin
  12. Bought the extended version of The Hobbit and am curious to see if it improves on the original.

But, like the music (and complete recordings to come), this isn't the 'event' the original trilogy was.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn