• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Silva Screen Records presents

THE MUSIC OF STAR TREK

A comprehensive up-to-date collection that includes Michael Giacchino’s theme from the most recent Star Trek movie.

This excellent single album compilation presents the very best Star Trek music from nearly 4 decades of the World’s most successful TV franchise.

Masterfully performed by The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra & Crouch End Festival Chorus

Music composed by: Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Cliff Eidelman, Leonard Rosenman, Dennis McCarthy, Alexander Courage, Michael Giacchino

From the liner notes by Michael Beek (Writer, Film Music Journalist, Critic):

“So over thirty years and across eleven films, a small band of composers have taken on Star Trek; boldly going where only a select few had gone before. A few turned in career making scores, others career defining ones and each managed to put their individual stamp on a hallowed franchise that continues to travel – at warp speed perhaps – into the history books, not to mention the hearts and minds of Trekkers everywhere. Live long and, indeed, prosper.”

FILM

1. STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979) 3:58

End Titles

(Jerry Goldsmith)

2. STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (1982) 6:35

End Titles

(James Horner)

3. STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK (1984) 3:36

Bird Of Prey Decloaks

(James Horner)

4. STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME (1986) 3:33

End Titles

(Leonard Rosenman)

5. STAR TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER (1989) 4:02

Life’s A Dream

(Jerry Goldsmith)

6. STAR TREK VI: THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (1991) 6:32

End Titles

(Cliff Eidelman)

7. STAR TREK: GENERATIONS (1994) 4:39

Overture

(Dennis McCarthy)

8. STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT (1996) 5:11

End Titles

(Jerry Goldsmith)

9. STAR TREK: INSURRECTION (1998) 5:06

End Titles

(Jerry Goldsmith)

10. STAR TREK: NEMESIS (2002) 7:43

End Titles

11. STAR TREK (2009) 4:26

Hella Bar Talk / Enterprising Young Men

(Michael Giacchino)

TELEVISION

12. STAR TREK (1966 – 1969) 2:22

(Alexander Courage)

Jill Washington (soprano)

13. STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (1987 - 1994) 3:05

(Jerry Goldsmith)

14. STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE (1993 - 1999) 3:55

(Dennis McCarthy)

15. STAR TREK: VOYAGER (1995 - 2001) 2:01

(Jerry Goldsmith)

16. STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE (2001 - 2005) 3:24

Where My Heart Will Take Me

(Diane Warren)

CAT. NO: SILCD1289

Release Date: 11th August 2009

###

For more information contact cinemediapromo@yahoo.com
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009
    Want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I always wanted someone to arrange a 20-30 minute suite of Goldsmith's music from the films. Could be done in the style of his end credit suites from the series, but with all the individual themes sandwiched in between the two performances of his main theme.
  2. Already have all the cues from that that I want, on seperate CDs. This CD is useless.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yes, Justin. Whatever you say. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    Already have all the cues from that that I want, on seperate CDs. This CD is useless.

Don't be such a douche. Useless to you, yes, but this CD has a target audience and some film music fans actually like compilations and re-recordings. Comments like yours above, Justin, are useless.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Yeah, Justin, as usual, has some respect issues to people and composers.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    I got the cd just the other day and Im quite happy with it.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
  4. I always wanted 'Stealing the Enterprise' in amazing sound quality, and this was the way to make it so, alas they chose another track rolleyes

nothing on there that interests me besides that (considering I already have them), so I'll pass
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, Justin, as usual, has some respect issues to people and composers.

Yeah, but as usual he's ignoring the criticism. As well he should...
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    justin boggan wrote
    Already have all the cues from that that I want, on seperate CDs. This CD is useless.

rolleyes
  5. Exactly. Justin seems to have really serious problems with respect to others. I wonder why.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Here's a question for you all. What tracklisting would you choose if you were doing a Star Trek compilation like this? Assuming you need at least one cue from each film and tv show, and you only have the 80-minute running time. I'll post mine later - it wouldn't include all those Goldsmith end titles, since they're all so similarly-constructued.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009 edited
    ^ Interesting challenge... working on it right now.

EDIT - I just through this together... I'm going to play it now to see if it works.

01. Star Trek Theme - Courage, Alexander - Star Trek (Original TV Series) (1:24)
    02. Star Trek: Generations (Overture) - McCarthy, Dennis - Star Trek: Generations (4:15)
    03. Busy Man - Goldsmith, Jerry - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (4:43)
    04. Enterprising Young Men - Giacchino, Michael - Star Trek (2:40)
    05. Nero Death Experience - Giacchino, Michael - Star Trek (5:39)
    06. A New Ending - Goldsmith, Jerry - Star Trek: Nemesis (6:09)
    07. Stealing The Enterprise - Horner, James - Star Trek III: The Search For Spock (8:35)
    08. Star Trek: Voyager (Main Title) - Goldsmith, Jerry - Star Trek: Voyager (1:47)
    09. Home Again: End Credits - Rosenman, Leonard - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (5:37)
    10. New Sight - Goldsmith, Jerry - Star Trek: Insurrection (5:47)
    11. Star Trek VI Suite - Eidelman, Cliff - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (6:18)
    12. The Enterprise - Goldsmith, Jerry - Star Trek: The Motion Picture (6:00)
    13. Archer's Theme - McCarthy, Dennis - Enterprise (1:28)
    14. Main Theme (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) - McCarthy, Dennis - Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (2:01)
    15. First Contact - Goldsmith, Jerry - Star Trek: First Contact (5:55)
    16. Epilogue/ End Title - Horner, James - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (8:47)

17. BONUS TRACK - Main Title (Unused Version) - McCarthy, Dennis - Star Trek: The Next Generation (1:46)

TOTAL RUNNING TIME : 78:42

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Looking good! I've never heard that unusued theme by McCarthy for The Next Generation. How is it? I never really cared for the small orchestra version of Goldsmith's theme they used.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Looking good! I've never heard that unusued theme by McCarthy for The Next Generation. How is it? I never really cared for the small orchestra version of Goldsmith's theme they used.

Check it out for yourself. It's about as generic a theme as you will ever hear... but a lot of people have no idea that theme even exists at all. It was released however on Star Trek The Next Generation Vol 1 by GNP.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009 edited
    I never knew that existed!?

Very generic but not unlikeable. Sounded very much more 'TV's Adventures of Superman' than Star Trek.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009 edited
    It´s featured massively in the pilot (probably because it got rejected as the Main Title at the last minute), but McCarthy kept it after that and used it again and again in a multitude of versions several times over the course of Season 1 (and possibly even Season 2, I don´t remember), often as a kind of Picard theme, but also for other circumstances.

Since it was featured a lot more often in TNG episodes than the Goldsmith theme, I find it very fitting (and a nice bow to McCarthy) to include it in this playlist, which, BTW, is a very good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote

Check it out for yourself. It's about as generic a theme as you will ever hear...

Thanks for posting the link. It's not bad, but like you say - so generic.