• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

I'm not surprised at this. As I commented in the thread more will follow.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Super awesome! My univ has free access to Naxos' digital streaming library. Just logged in and I can see the RSNO stuff. Wow! I can listen to Goldsmith's Sand Pebbles finally!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Can I just say the info on the Naxos site is hilarious:

"Access to listen to more than 5,000 CDs (one track at a time) including all Naxos, Marco Polo and Dacapo recordings in near CD quality sound (64 Kbps)."

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009 edited
    lol
    That's the first time I've noticed the streaming rate.

In the FAQ for Naxos Music Library-

Q: In what format is the music streamed?
    A: The music is streamed in Microsoft WMA 9.0 format, at 128Kbps, 64Kbps or 20Kbps, depending on the type of Internet connection used.

Your computer's Internet connection will determine the streaming rate you can choose. A higher Internet bandwidth means you can choose a better sound quality. The minimum requirements are:

Broadband for 128Kbps streaming (CD quality)
    DSL or ISDN for 64Kbps streaming (near CD quality)
    Dial-up connection for 20Kbps streaming (FM quality)

Q: How is the sound quality compared to a CD?
    A: The standard streaming rate of 64Kbps produces near-CD quality. If you have a broadband Internet connection, you can choose 128Kbps for a quality equivalent to CD. If you have a dial-up Internet connection, the music is streamed at 20Kbps, which is equivalent to FM sound quality. Of course, the sound quality is also dependent upon the type of speakers or headphones used.

Q: Can I set the default search page and streaming rate?
    A: Yes, through the My Account page. You can select which search page (Standard or Advanced) you prefer to have as your default when you log on; and at which speed you would like the music to stream (20Kbps, 64Kbps or 128Kbps).

The crazy thing is that the "CD quality" stream is never available even when I'm in the university.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    CD quality = over 800 kbps
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2009
    However hilarious the move to digital is a bold one I believe for Varese. By making their material available this way it will open up the music to a larger listening base.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    However hilarious the move to digital is a bold one I believe for Varese. By making their material available this way it will open up the music to a larger listening base.
    Thomas

But many of their albums have been available for download for a number of years, haven't they?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Naxos system is really quite reasonable. In a month for $25.00 you could download one heck of a lot of material. For a lot of people the quality of 128kps is acceptable.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    sdtom wrote
    The Naxos system is really quite reasonable. In a month for $25.00 you could download one heck of a lot of material. For a lot of people the quality of 128kps is acceptable.
    Thomas

Their FAQs say that you may not download anything from their site?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    For a lot of people the quality of 128kps is acceptable.
    Thomas

And that is just plain wrong. 128k should never, EVER be acceptable especially classical music.

Southall wrote
    But many of their albums have been available for download for a number of years, haven't they?

Yup, through iTunes. This is NOTHING new for Varese.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote

And that is just plain wrong. 128k should never, EVER be acceptable especially classical music.

-Erik-

And yet Erik the same people might find fast food as an acceptable diet which is an early death wish. I agree 100% with the classical music but I've found a lot of people just like the sound of classical music and listen to it for that reason alone. They couldn't tell you what they're listening to.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

You can never contain the dynamic range of classical / film / concert music in that kbps space. Some might laugh, but it's truly a crime against the original work and the composer.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

You can never contain the dynamic range of classical / film / concert music in that kbps space. Some might laugh, but it's truly a crime against the original work and the composer.

Unless you are listening to it on really cheap headphones and/or desktop speakers which are capable only of allowing you to make out the basic melody. This causes you to think music is nothing more than the basic melodic line, and you don't know what you're missing. I speak from personal experience. This is how they get away with calling 128kbps "near CD quality." Played on very low-end equipment, there is in fact virtually no difference. Very, very, very sad. But true.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    IMHO you're both wrong. The majority of the population would find the quality of 128kps to be perfectly acceptable for their system. Sad but true. Most find McDonald's to be acceptable thus their success in the marketplace. Some people would rather spend $1200 in a year at Starbuck's than invest that money in a speaker system.

The audiophile wanna be, a category I'm in, probably still purchases CD's. I say wanna be because I just can't afford the type of equipment I'd like and this comes from a man who owns a tube CD player because I can hear a small quality difference. The download person, especially at 128kps is in a whole different world. Why not spend $25.00 and download a lot of CD's to enjoy? Perhaps that special recording could be downloaded at higher quality or purchased on CD?

If your young but interested in classical music you could download a 1000 CD's and introduce yourself to new works and decide whether or not you have interest. That isn't worth $25.00? If you truly enjoy a particular work purchase the CD or a lossless download.

Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's not about what the majority thinks. I know what and you're right, but i personally couldn't give a rat's ass, esp. since it's my job to work with audio. What are talking about here are the facts. 128kbps cannot physically contain the dynamic range of a proper musical recording and what you are hearing instead, is a very poor, compressed digital representation of reality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I agree with you!!! Personally I'd rather have a meal of saltine crackers than anything McDonald's has to offer. If I had $1200.00 for new tubes for my MacIntosh preamp and amp that would improve the quality I'd sooner spend that way as opposed to coffee at Starbuck's. The problem is we're in the minority. Your job my friend is to try and improve the quality of 128kps or raise the bar to 192kps. If you could only get people to take a one hour class think of the difference it might make.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's not about what the majority thinks. I know what and you're right, but i personally couldn't give a rat's ass, esp. since it's my job to work with audio. What are talking about here are the facts. 128kbps cannot physically contain the dynamic range of a proper musical recording and what you are hearing instead, is a very poor, compressed digital representation of reality.

The depressing thing is that Tom really is right - most people won't notice any difference at all. It's the same as people who buy televisions that cost a fortune and then don't even get their screen size settings right, so everything they ever watch is stretched one way or the other. I always sort that sort of thing out when I visit someone who hasn't set them up right - and not a single one of them can ever notice the difference.

I gave up trying to show off my Blu-Ray player to people. Not only could most people not tell the difference between it and DVD, some even professed to not ever really noticing any improvement from VHS to DVD.

How many people now watch tv on low-res downloads from the internet? I hope it doesn't go the way of MP3s - years and years of technological advancement meaning most people now hear music with less fidelity than those who bought record players after the second world war.

The general public can be very frustrating at times. It's reasons like this that mean the first thing I will do when I become Prime Minister is remove voting rights from most members of the public, apart from a few I will hand pick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Well said James!!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm with Southall on this one.

But only if I still get to vote when the time comes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    I'm with Southall on this one.

But only if I still get to vote when the time comes.

Only if you promise to vote the right way.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    You're so right James, I could add a story of my own experiences with friends but it would only be reaffirming what you've already said.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I gave up trying to show off my Blu-Ray player to people. Not only could most people not tell the difference between it and DVD, some even professed to not ever really noticing any improvement from VHS to DVD.

What? I've never met anyone who didn't notice THAT.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

What? I've never met anyone who didn't notice THAT.

You should talk to more middle-aged women! (Or perhaps not.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    (Or perhaps not.)

That's the key-sentence wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My father says DVD's scratch and VHS tapes don't. There is no comeback to that one. He won't change.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    My father says DVD's scratch and VHS tapes don't. There is no comeback to that one. He won't change.
    Thomas

That's hilarious! VHS tapes (any tape for that matter) actually DO scratch... they also stretch, tear, rip, snap, etc, etc, etc.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

That's hilarious! VHS tapes (any tape for that matter) actually DO scratch... they also stretch, tear, rip, snap, etc, etc, etc.

-Erik-

The worst thing at least for me was the time it got stuck in the player and I couldn't get it out. What a mess. Anyway he's 82, I love him, and he can pretty much do as he wishes. If he wants to watch them so be it.

Thomas