• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    Well, what do you think of him? What is your favorite by him?

I would have to say I am a great fan of Harry Gregson-Williams music. My
    favorite would be 'the battle' from the chronicles of narnia: LLW...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I'd personally put Spy Game, Veronica Guerin and Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas as my top 3. I also like his latest score Gone Baby Gone.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    I haven't heard the score for Gone Baby Gone... from the clip on Remote Control Prod.'s site it seemed good, but not brilliant. How would you put it?
  1. My favourite score by HGW is his grand medieval epic Kingdom of Heaven, very closely followed by his truly magical score for Narnia. I can´t understand why he gets butchered for Narnia so often. After all, it is the adaptation of a children´s book, and I find the score to be very fitting to each act. First, it´s a very beautiful approach for the journey to the countryside and the boring days in the Professor´s house, then the sense of ultimate mystery as Lucy discovers Narnia. The music accompanying her astonishment about this snowy world hidden in the wardrobe is just pure joy of heart, enchanting. Then the score becomes moer and more heroic while the children discover their role in this world and what is about to happen. The battle, at last is very intense, and I find it rather fitting that we get a similar treatment of the equally fitting siege themes from the fight for Jerusalem from KoH here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Kingdom of Heaven is his best score in my opinion. Great use of choir !
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I have 3...Veronica Guerin, Narnia, and Man on Fire. Probably in that order. But my favorite cue of his, hands-down, is The Battle from Narnia.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Sindbad is in my opinion his best score.
  2. I watched the movie and liked it. I listened to the score only once or twice and couldn´t warm up to it. Maybe it is time to give it another try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007 edited
    Spy game
    Man on fire

Kingdom of heaven(preferably the 3-disc recording sessions CDs)
    Veronica Guerin
    Sinbad

All very fine scores. Not a fan of Narnia though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthormarie-lise
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I can´t understand why he gets butchered for Narnia so often. After all, it is the adaptation of a children´s book, and I find the score to be very fitting to each act. First, it´s a very beautiful approach for the journey to the countryside and the boring days in the Professor´s house, then the sense of ultimate mystery as Lucy discovers Narnia. The music accompanying her astonishment about this snowy world hidden in the wardrobe is just pure joy of heart, enchanting. Then the score becomes moer and more heroic while the children discover their role in this world and what is about to happen. The battle, at last is very intense, and I find it rather fitting that we get a similar treatment of the equally fitting siege themes from the fight for Jerusalem from KoH here.

I can't agree more!
    Narnia is indeed a wonderful, magical score full of wonder and "heroism".

I also really like his score for Sinbad, swashbuckling all the way. I especially adore "Sirens" - music that so perfectly fits what's showed on screen...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sorry guys and Lady wink but NARNIA is one very boring fantasy score. It screams throughout " i am boreeed, thiss boreess me, don't reaally know whatt too wrriteee here" from HGW's side, to me. And i wouldn't blame him too much, the movie's quite horrible, imo. Of course he can do way better with the 2nd Narnia if he follows a darker approach but to tell you the truth i am more excited about Arnold's 3rd Narnia instead!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. I didn't like either Narnia or Kingdom of Heaven. For me, his best is Sinbad.
  4. bartley wrote
    Well, what do you think of him? What is your favorite by him?

As a person he seems to be a pleasant enough person - though there is something distrustful about someone who wears sunglasses indoors. When Martin Provost and I met him briefly in Madrid he was probably quite jet-lagged, so I'll let him off with that one!

From what I've heard, I'd have to go with his animation scores as the ones that I enjoy the most. I'm not sure what he did and didn't write on Shrek so I'll plump for Sinbad as being one of my favourites.

I find his scores for Kingdom of Heaven and The Chronicles of Narnia average with a few standout passages.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    Jon Broxton wrote
    I didn't like either Narnia or Kingdom of Heaven. For me, his best is Sinbad.

yeah
    Sadly his work on these megaproductions is much more eye (well. Ear) catching than in Sinbad due to the public reception, so Sinbad gets lost in the fray. And it's such an enjoyable and well-crafted score too! sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    the beauty of narnia is the interpetation of C.S. Lewis' simple style... thats what made the movie and score so good. It is simple but there is more than meets the eye... The score for LLW is one of my very favorites... even more so than his Kingdom of Heaven score.
    This is my opinion. If you think it is boring, I'm not out to convince you its not. Perhaps you find it boring because its simplicity? If so, I would say that some of the most simplistic themes, songs, scores, etc. are the most beautiful. It shines with the beauty of simplicity, as does the book.
    Quite the opposite of the LOTR. Tolkien is an author who is loved for his detail... the same for Peter Jackson's screen adaptions. You can sense the tradition, and historical style of the film and Howard Shore's score.
    The simplicity of narnia is reminds me of Rachmanninov's Vocalise (which I am listening to at moment.) It is simply but very, very beautiful. That is how I see the narnia score.
  5. I certainly wouldn't say that The Chronicles of Narnia is a boring score (shame on you Demetris!) - and my comment that it's average isn't really meant as a bad comment. It is a solid score, with some good action scoring and interesting stuff.

But, for me, it doesn't have a consistently shocked content that takes it above the mainstream.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I certainly wouldn't say that The Chronicles of Narnia is a boring score (shame on you Demetris!) - and my comment that it's average isn't really meant as a bad comment. It is a solid score, with some good action scoring and interesting stuff.

But, for me, it doesn't have a consistently shocked content that takes it above the mainstream.

I don't understand the word consistently... do you mean consistent?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    bartley wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I certainly wouldn't say that The Chronicles of Narnia is a boring score (shame on you Demetris!) - and my comment that it's average isn't really meant as a bad comment. It is a solid score, with some good action scoring and interesting stuff.

I don't understand the word consistently... do you mean consistent?

I do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Ok. Well, I do not see how you could think that of the narnia score. The melodies seem very consistent... not over used nor under... a balanced medium between them. Could it be the pop editions
    to the album that throws you off?
  6. bartley wrote
    Ok. Well, I do not see how you could think that of the narnia score. The melodies seem very consistent... not over used nor under... a balanced medium between them. Could it be the pop editions
    to the album that throws you off?

It has been a while since I have listened to the score so what I say is just a lasting impression I have. Sounds like I need to revisit this. And when I do, I'll let you know what I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Sounds good. When you relisten, go to track twelve for starters; it'll get you in the mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Also, if going back, listen to Kingdom of Heaven.... after Narnia, to get a real sense for the guys work style.
    That is, if you have the time, or want to. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Narnia was a score that took me a long time to get into. It helped finally seeing it with the movie. I think my initial disdain for it was definitely my expectations. I was looking forward to a huge adventure score more along the lines of Lord of the Rings. That certainly isn't what we got, and once I got over that, I found myself really appreciating the score.

The score is simple, but it can be truly beautiful. The theme in "Evacuating London" is quite sad and beautiful, "The Wardrobe" is a wonderful moment that plays out really well on screen, "Lucy Meets Mr. Tumnus" (my favorite track) is a lovely moment that underscores the trepidation of the characters in a great way using Gregson-Williams trademark electric violin, and "Father Christmas" is another beautiful moment that is quite reminiscent of JNH's Peter Pan. "The Battle" is alright, but it's the quiet moments that I really enjoy in the score.

Narnia is my second favorite score of Gregson-Williams behind Kingdom of Heaven. Then it would be Veronica Guerin and Sinbad. I've not been too fond of his 06 or 07 scores at all though.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I find LLW to be a fairly good to middling score. The earlier sections of the score are very beautiful -- particularly when Lucy finds herself in Narnia and later on when the Pevensies are in Narnia. I just find it an inconsistent score. Some of the synths used in the battle scenes (particularly during the Peter vs. White Witch duel) are distracting. I think Gregson-Williams can pull an even better score for Prince Caspian, provided he gets more time to work on the score than he did last time.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    I like Harry's work a lot. I prefer the more "nostalgic" themes he penned for The Magic of Marciano,( one of his best themes) Spy Game, Veronica Guerin and the Whole Wide World over his most recent music.
    As far as whole scores are concerned, I really enjoy Sinbad and Kingdom of Heaven. The 3 scores he did with John Powell were very good too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I just listened to Sinbad for the first time in two years, and with a very focused listening for the first time at all.

Though I would have liked to hear a more complex and challenging theme for what is probably the world´s most famous classic adventurer, the theme is nice and works well, surprisingly even better in the quieter moments of the score.

There is, however, the Love Theme, a very beautiful theme that would have, in a slight variation, probably worked better as the Main Theme.

Overall, I consider it to be a nice adventure score for most of the time, but I missed some originality here and there. There are some bits and pieces which raised my eyebrow, but nothing that kept my attention for long or made me fast backward to listen to it again. I had some hopes for the "Tartarus" monster track (since I enjoy the longer development of action cues, as I wrote at the "John Williams" topic), but it was just a mix of different things that easily could have been made into seperate tracks.

Some tracks are on the verge of mickeymousing, but that is easily accepted because of the animated nature of the whole thing.

The final three tracks, however, deliver the best parts, I think. Very dramatic, emotional, original at times, and a nice reward for everyone who was patient enough to stay through to the end. Under normal circumstances, I would have given it a solid 3 stars rating, but the last tracks made it a rather good three 1/2 stars score.

For an animated movie, this kind of work should be rewarded. So, while listening again to the final track, "Into the Sunset", I have no problem giving Sinbad **** stars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    I haven't heard it: perhaps for christmas....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    Spy Game is very good, in my opinion. Especially while jogging.
    The Magic of Marciano is also a very memorable score. Very gentle and relaxing.
    And, of course, Chicken Run, Narnia and Kingdom of Heaven (although I must admit that I rarely listen to the latter)
    Cookie monster
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Andy wrote
    The Magic of Marciano is also a very memorable score. Very gentle and relaxing.

Never heard of that one. Is that one of his earlier?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    It's from 2000. But the movie was never released, or something like that. Anyway, HGW was nice enough to send me a copy a couple of years ago. The music is miles from the usual Gregson-Williams sound, with some pretty nice themes and lush orchestrations.
    Cookie monster