• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2009
    The film was probably temp-tracked with Powell's X3 score, so HGW will probably have written it in some odd blend of his choir-heavy Narnia scores and his electronics-heavy thriller scores. Which amounts to something like Kingdom of Heaven without the ethnic elements. Which I think will be cool.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. Varese would call anything "epic" as long as it gets people's attention.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. yep, I'm taking this epic sentence with a big grain of salt
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Harry can do "Epic" pretty well. Regardless, I'm interested in listening to what he has to say about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    The film was probably temp-tracked with Powell's X3 score, so HGW will probably have written it in some odd blend of his choir-heavy Narnia scores and his electronics-heavy thriller scores. Which amounts to something like Kingdom of Heaven without the ethnic elements. Which I think will be cool.

Which amounts to boring. wink :P Hope that's not the case.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    I don't care how "epic" they say it is, I still feel HGW was the wrong composer for this movie. Nonetheless...

I don't know, maybe John Powell referred them to his friend. I can definitely see schedule conflict if Powell agreed to do both Wolverine and Ice Age 3, though.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I don't care how "epic" they say it is, I still feel HGW was the wrong composer for this movie. Nonetheless...

I don't know, maybe John Powell referred them to his friend. I can definitely see schedule conflict if Powell agreed to do both Wolverine and Ice Age 3, though.

Shame Powell isn't doing Wolverine.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    'Tis true. Then Erik would be raving about it... wink
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Matt C wrote
    Anthony wrote

Shame Powell isn't doing Wolverine.

Yes and no. It's a shame he won't be continuing on from his excellent Last Stand score, but in all honesty I'm not that bothered that he's not scoring this new film since we've got plenty of other interesting projects from him to look forward to (Green Zone is something I'm wanting to hear!)

I hope HGW's score has a decent theme. I know he's capable of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I usually prefer HGW's music to Powell's so I'm looking forward to Wolverine. ...well, maybe I'm the only one... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're definitely the only one who prefers HGW's music to Powell's, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Steven wrote
    You're definitely the only one who prefers HGW's music to Powell's, yes.

Shame on me... shame But somehow I haven't been able to REALLY get to like Powell. I have some of his CDs but he's far from being among my favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I guess I'm the only one to not like John Powell's Elfman-like score to The Last Stand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nope.
    I dearly love what Powell does, but his The Last Stand leaves me cold. It's messy and overorchestrated, as far as I'm concerned.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Nope.
    I dearly love what Powell does, but his The Last Stand leaves me cold. It's messy and overorchestrated, as far as I'm concerned.

Well... you're wrong. You're wrong because your opinion differs with mine! tongue

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    It's messy and overorchestrated, as far as I'm concerned.

Werd! It sounds completely unlike John Powell, and more like someone who had no choice but to copy someone else's style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh no, it's very Powell in intent...but to me it's like he quadrupled his orchestra the night before recording and wasn't sure what to actually do with them.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Oh no, it's very Powell in intent...but to me it's like he quadrupled his orchestra the night before recording and wasn't sure what to actually do with them.

I really like his Last Stand score but I do know and hear what you mean.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Nope.

Indeed. It's wrong in so many different levels. Of course we'll be called crazy and deaf and stuff like that after such comments but it's not the first time wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Most (by no means all) film composers younger than 75 haven't got a clue about orchestration, and I think Powell is generally at his best when the orchestra is accompanied by something else. I did enjoy X-Men 3 quite a lot, but I think that's because Powell's problems with orchestration are considerably less striking than most of his peers', rather than because they aren't there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Nope.

Indeed. It's wrong in so many different levels. Of course we'll be called crazy and deaf and stuff like that after such comments but it's not the first time wink

YOU ARE CRAZY AND DEAF!!!! And this is at least the 2,138th time that's been said tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote

It sounds exactly like he took his style, added Eflman's and then piled on more extraneous notes. Much of it was too excessive to be appealing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Nope.

Like Timmer, I do see where you're coming from, but I don't think 'it's wrong on so many levels', that's a bit of an overstatement. Especially when you consider the death of Prof. X scene, that music is amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2009
    Well, that's the level it ain't wrong wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Eh???? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Eh???? confused

The bit that D thinks it's good. I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Looking forward to getting it anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2009
    Happened to watch a few minutes of the workprint. It's interesting that the temp for the movie uses Transformers and Crimson Tide and Rambo (the Brian Tyler version). The overall sound seems to be percussion based for the action scenes and it works for the most part. There seem to be credits for additional music by John Powell's regulars, John Ashton THomas and James McKee Smith and conducting by Pete Anthony. Though it just might just have been a temporary cut and paste job from Hancock....

Let's see what Harry will come up with for the final version. I think he'll surprise us all.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009
    Track Listing for Wolverine:

1. Logan Through Time (4:19)
    2. Special Privileges (1:57)
    3. Lagos, Nigeria (5:10)
    4. Wade Goes To Work (1:28)
    5. Kayla (2:53)
    6. Victor Visits (2:06)
    7. Adamantium (4:16)
    8. Agent Zero Comes For Logan (3:08)
    9. Logan Meets Gambit (4:34)
    10. To The Island (3:46)
    11. Deadpool (4:10)
    12. The Towers Collapse (3:22)
    13. Memories Lost (3:01)
    14. “…I’ll Find My Own Way” (1:24)

Not that much score... hmm. As long as it's good...

All best
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2009 edited
    Shorter than X3? But then 40<x<48 is a typical Varese running time for HGW scores.