• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009 edited
    lp wrote
    BTW, no one should ever group the original Blade movie with the like of Elektra and Daredevil. It was low budget for sure, but that's pretty much it. It was one of the first movie that took a comic book character seriously and tried to place him in the real world.

A real world where young vampire covens are taking over the world by summoning a blood god...
    I see.

At a guess I would say this is a real world where Sarah Michelle Gellar would have an excellent shot at the presidency.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    lp wrote
    Wow, lots more HGW hatred here. But then I don't hate his Narnia stuff. It's really an extension of his style and just because it's not John Powell, doesn't make it bad.

I don't really "hate" Harry Gregson-Williams, but I'm not exactly keen on his approach and attitude to film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    lp wrote
    BTW, no one should ever group the original Blade movie with the like of Elektra and Daredevil. It was low budget for sure, but that's pretty much it. It was one of the first movie that took a comic book character seriously and tried to place him in the real world.

A real world where young vampire covens are taking over the world by summoning a blood god...
    I see.

At a guess I would say this is a real world where Sarah Michelle Gellar would have an excellent shot at the presidency.

Compare to a real world where "god" exist. Sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Wow, lots more HGW hatred here. But then I don't hate his Narnia stuff. It's really an extension of his style and just because it's not John Powell, doesn't make it bad.

I don't really "hate" Harry Gregson-Williams, but I'm not exactly keen on his approach and attitude to film music.

Gotcha. I'm curious though, where did you find the info about his attitude toward composing only for money? I mean, doesn't most composers do it for the money?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote
    lp wrote

I see.

Compare to a real world where "god" exist. Sure.

And what world might that be?
    Cimmeria?
    (Where incidentally Schwartzenegger would have an excellent shot at kinghood)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Gotcha. I'm curious though, where did you find the info about his attitude toward composing only for money? I mean, doesn't most composers do it for the money?

Obviously you know I didn't. It was a slightly sarcastic remark, similiar to yours.

But from the interviews I've read and seen, and not least the music I hear from him, it seems to me he lacks the passion for great film music that any good composer should have. (Yes of course composers do it for the money, but that should not be the main driving force behind each composer's gig, and I'm sure it isn't for many composers. I certainly don't imagine John Williams' main reason for scoring films these days is because of the money.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote

Obviously you know I didn't. It was a slightly sarcastic remark, similiar to yours.

But from the interviews I've read and seen, and not least the music I hear from him, it seems to me he lacks the passion for great film music that any good composer should have. (Yes of course composers do it for the money, but that should not be the main driving force behind each composer's gig, and I'm sure it isn't for many composers. I certainly don't imagine John Williams' main reason for scoring films these days is because of the money.)

I was serious about the question though, 'cause sometime, people find out things.

I do agree with what you're saying about great people having the "passion" to do great things. He does feel a bit "removed" though, but I don't agree that Harry hasn't done a good job with his scores. His recent scores aren't incredible works, for sure, but they work well for the their respective movies. He's done some good stuff as well, like KOH and Spy Game and Sinbad. And as music, they've not been terribly boring to listen to, nor are they as unimaginative as you guys are making it out to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, okay. When pushed (either by himself or others) I do believe Gregson-Williams is capable of some very exciting and very enjoyable music.... but it rarely happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    Ah, okay. When pushed (either by himself or others) I do believe Gregson-Williams is capable of some very exciting and very enjoyable music.... but it rarely happens.

And you can say that about a lot of composers too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    lp wrote
    He's done some good stuff as well, like KOH and Spy Game and Sinbad. And as music, they've not been terribly boring to listen to, nor are they as unimaginative as you guys are making it out to be.

I´d add some other (underrated and overlooked) very good works like "The Borrowers", "Veronica Guerin", "The Magic of Marciano", "Gone Baby Gone", "Team America" and (in a lesser degree but also remarkable at least in the context of the film) "Man on Fire".

A good amount of very good music IMO.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes, but then we're talking about them are we? We're talking about Harry Gregson-Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not to forget Passionada and The Rundown, both of which I enjoy the heck out of (not to forget his collaborations with Powell either!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Martijn wrote
    Not to forget Passionada and The Rundown, both of which I enjoy the heck out of (not to forget his collaborations with Powell either!)

Indeed, I have forgotten to incluide "Passionada".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    He may have received a bit too much of the "Tyler Bates" effect, because he did those two Scott movies with not so interesting scores (Domino and that timetravel thing?) and Narnia, which was generally received as ok, but not great. That's all I think, but then is so much focus on those, that the idea about him completely derails.

He's not great, far from it, but some of his scores are really good, and he mostly delivers something worth the listen. But he's no Powell (which doesn't help him either) and the fact that said "were there horns in LOTR" doesn't either.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    the fact that said "were there horns in LOTR" doesn't either.

Eh?

WHAT?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote

Yes, but then we're talking about them are we? We're talking about Harry Gregson-Williams.

Because if we don't, all I'm understanding is that HGW isn't fulfilling his obvious potential.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Bregt wrote
    He may have received a bit too much of the "Tyler Bates" effect, because he did those two Scott movies with not so interesting scores (Domino and that timetravel thing?) and Narnia, which was generally received as ok, but not great. That's all I think, but then is so much focus on those, that the idea about him completely derails.

He's not great, far from it, but some of his scores are really good, and he mostly delivers something worth the listen. But he's no Powell (which doesn't help him either) and the fact that said "were there horns in LOTR" doesn't either.

I'd take HGW over any of the recent "hot" composers, like Paul Haslinger, Tyler Bates, Charlie Clouser.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote

True, very good scores. And Veronica Guerrin as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote

Even if he can't express any passion on interviews, it doesn't mean he doesn't have any passion for composing. Not everyone can show his/her passion well on interviews, in front of unfamiliar (and sometimes annoying) interviewers.

For example I have a big passion to listen to film music but I can't show it so well in front of other (offline) people. tongue

Not all the composers are good speakers. Self-presentation skill is not essential to be a good composer. wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009 edited
    Perhaps, but there's just something about the way he expresses himself in interviews, and the way he talks about his music. I'm sure there's passion there, there'd have to be.... but I just get the sense that some projects he takes on are treated more like a job than an art. Plus there's the actual music he produces which I think sometimes lacks a certain kind of soul and is, to my ears, generally not very interesting. Which I think is a shame.

But anyway, the bottom line is -in general- I'm not too keen on Mr. Gregson-Williams' scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Well in one interview at soundtrack.net, he did admit that he HATE blockbusters like Armageddon. And my logic is, if you're scoring something that you hate, you're probably doing that for money. And that doesn't bring the best out of you.

And I'm not sure he doesn't HATE Narnia or Wolverine, since they're not necessarily smarter or better than Armageddon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    Perhaps, but there's just something about the way he expresses himself in interviews, and the way he talks about his music. I'm sure there's passion there, there'd have to be.... but I just get the sense that some projects he takes on are treated more like a job than an art. Plus there's the actual music he produces which I think sometimes lacks a certain kind of soul and is, to my ears, generally not very interesting. Which I think is a shame.

I must say I felt that a bit too, especially when I read his comments on the LoTR scores. But I must say he did try to inject quite some good emotional material in the first Narnia score and in Kingdom Of Heaven, and it clearly shows in the score too. Although it's true many of his scores lack that powerful emotional stuff I look for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Wasn't it a sarcasm when he commented about Shore's LotR (on TrackSound, if I remember correctly)? I thought the interviewer asked him a horrible question. It can piss off a composer to ask "How is your music compared to other acclaimed score by other composer?". angry

He also said he respects Shore's works on LotR on another interview at NarniaFans or somewhere.

I actually don't know much about Armageddon or Wolverine or his action scores, but I felt he certainly had a passion to score Narnia movies, because of the way he talked how great to get a chance to score that scene of that beloved book (The wardrobe / lamp post scene).
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yes, that question asked to him was certainly not fair, but he could've answered in a bit less sarcastic and more diplomatic way IMO. But like you said, everyone has his own way of answering, I don't really blame him for that wink And he said that he respected the LoTR scores in the same intreview BTW. It was on Tracksounds.

I too feel he put a lot of effort and passion for the Narnia scores because those themes certainly feel very warm!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Here's that interview in question - http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatu … lliams.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    bartley wrote
    Well, what do you think of him? What is your favorite by him?

I would have to say I am a great fan of Harry Gregson-Williams music. My
    favorite would be 'the battle' from the chronicles of narnia: LLW...

He is a really good composer. I like his score for The Chronicles of Narnia 1 & 2 and Kingdom of Heaven.

Have a nice day! smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Don't forget Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas. Surely one of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DemonStar wrote
    Don't forget Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas. Surely one of his best.

Nope, I didn't.

It's one of his least mentioned score, IMO, when people talks about HGW's orchestral writing. There's plenty of swashbuckling music to calm the "HGW's music is boring" argument. The guy clearly has the ability to write for a brassy orchestra and I hope that he'll demonstrate this skill again with Prince or Persia. It should even have a similar ethnic flavor as well.
  1. But that's a Bruckheimer project. I don't expect much.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009
    I for one am looking forward to his Prince of Persia score.