• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    Andy wrote
    It's from 2000. But the movie was never released, or something like that. Anyway, HGW was nice enough to send me a copy a couple of years ago. The music is miles from the usual Gregson-Williams sound, with some pretty nice themes and lush orchestrations.

Totally agree with you. The main theme is brilliant in all of its variations through the score, which is a pleasant and relaxing listening experience. With Veronica Guerin, his best dramatic score IMO.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    So the Magic of Marciano is not a release... must be a long story wink You said it was far from the usual HGW... gee, I wish I could hear it!
  1. bartley wrote
    Also, if going back, listen to Kingdom of Heaven.... after Narnia, to get a real sense for the guys work style.
    That is, if you have the time, or want to. wink

I'll certainly go back and listen to them. In fact, "Crusaders" came up as a random play on the way to work and it is a very beautiful cue.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Didnt like Narnia, bland as hell. One problem is since Narnia, he has done nothing that really standout I mean the lastest Tony Scott's movie (which i dont even remember the title) and The Number 23 are really really average to be nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I'll certainly go back and listen to them. In fact, "Crusaders" came up as a random play on the way to work and it is a very beautiful cue.

All the cues with choral stuff are pretty beautiful, in "Crusaders" and "Burning the Past" tracks specially.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Marselus wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

All the cues with choral stuff are pretty beautiful, in "Crusaders" and "Burning the Past" tracks specially.

How 'bout Road to Heaven (I think... its track 18)?
    The choral is what makes it so good. I also looooove track 15 "the Wall is Breached" I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    msia2k75 wrote
    Didnt like Narnia, bland as hell. One problem is since Narnia, he has done nothing that really standout I mean the lastest Tony Scott's movie (which i dont even remember the title) and The Number 23 are really really average to be nice.

It is a matter of taste. Narnia is good because it is so simple... there is beauty in simplicity.. as I stated in an earlier post: the score captures the simplicity of the book.
    Though I haven't heard the two score you mention i'll have to get a copy. But he is coming out with Prince Caspian in March... so get ready. He has had a long time to work on it (perspectively speaking)!
    Mathias R.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    msia2k75 wrote

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U!!!!!!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Demetris, the sequel should be a big improvement upon the original film. And there wasn't anything you liked about the score, no themes or isolated passages you liked?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    msia2k75 wrote

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U!!!!!!

I third that! It just wasn't anything special, and the only track I actually somewhat enjoyed was "The Battle."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    bartley wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I certainly wouldn't say that The Chronicles of Narnia is a boring score (shame on you Demetris!) - and my comment that it's average isn't really meant as a bad comment. It is a solid score, with some good action scoring and interesting stuff.

But, for me, it doesn't have a consistently shocked content that takes it above the mainstream.

I don't understand the word consistently... do you mean consistent?

I do.

Then I now pronounce you Witch and Wardrobe.
    You may kill the lion.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    I think Spy Game is my HGW-favourite, although I have a couple of other scores by him that I need to listen to soon - Sinbad, amongst others. Didn't care too much for Kingdom of Heaven. It's nice enough, but compared to what I'd hoped for it disappointed me somewhat.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Interesting news, thanks. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Actually, Harry is not composing the score according to my sources, he's producing it and David Buckley, who has written additional music for his latest films, is composing:

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … ckley.html

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I have no problem giving Sinbad **** stars.

I´m currently listening again to it, because I had a slight feeling a repeated experience might be in order, and I was right. I´m enjoying the whole thing a lot more now than yesterday. It´s definitely a very solid **** star score in my book, on the verge of becoming a **** 1/2...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSirCaledor
    Both Kingdom of Heaven and Narnia haven't really hit me in the face, but they're both growing on me, especially Narnia. A fine effort.

And Sinbad really takes me back to those glorious HGW and Powell animated film collaborations...pure bliss!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Gee! I feel like I missed out on those!!! I need to get a copy of Sinbad: or else go mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007
    I realize that HGW is hot right now (as the activity in this thread attests to), but to be honest, I never really cared much for his music. In fact, I phazed out of it in the 90's after boring drone-fests such as SMILLA'S SENSE OF SNOW and THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS. Of course, I should probably check out some of the stuff he did after the turn of the millennium and that is constantly being praised here - like KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, SINBAD or NARNIA, but I simply haven't gotten around to it yet. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt....for now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think you'd like NARNIA, Thor. But i'd be interested of what you might think of stuff like SPY GAME.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote
    In fact, I phazed out of it in the 90's after boring drone-fests such as SMILLA'S SENSE OF SNOW and THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS.

shocked

If that´s the only thing you´ve heard from him, I encourage you to listen his later jobs. You´ll see they have nothing to do with those two. If I may, I´d recommend:

Kingdom of Heaven
    Magic of Marciano
    Spy Game
    Man on Fire
    Veronica Guerin
    The Borrowers
    Sinbad
    Gone Baby Gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Agree with Marcel too. Those 2 have nothing to do with what he did afterwards although i still hold my reservations on whether Thor would be excited about them. You never know though, worths trying for sure!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Sure those are my personal favs from Gregson Williams, and we all know what happens with tastes (I think I had never written "a matter of taste" or "taste" so many times than the last few days around here wink ). But I´m sure Thor is gonna like at least 2 or 3 of the scores I mentioned. Fingers crossed... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2007 edited
    Well, I have SEEN some of those films - like KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, SPY GAME, NARNIA and MAN ON FIRE - but can't remember anything of the music at all. I may have noticed a few things while I watched them, but nothing that stuck with me. As I said, I'll have to check them out somehow and somewhere down the road - outside their movies.

Also, I DID like CHICKEN RUN...but I have no idea if it was Powell's music that I really liked (as I usually love his stuff!) or if it was HGW's.

And his cue on THE ROCK was a welcome change-of-pace on that soundtrack.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Im guessing you'll enjoy NARNIA and KINGDOM OF HEAVEN... but you'll go in for CHICKEN RUN and his other animation...
    but thats a guess, I have no idea of your taste or personality wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    bartley wrote
    but you'll go in for CHICKEN RUN and his other animation...
    but thats a guess, I have no idea of your taste or personality wink

Well if he enjoyed Chicken Run he´ll definetely enjoy Shrek, and his solo efforts in Shrek 2 & 3.
  3. Yeah. If you liked his work on THe Rock try also Spy Game. Kingdom of Heaven is recommended. I didn't like Narnia much, so I can't recommend.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No no no, no Shrek, especially 2 and 3. It's pretty awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    Kingdom of Heaven and Chronicles of Narnia are my favourites. Listen to "The Battle" from Narnia, that's pure musical genius!!