• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010
    Especially on the 'old hollywood' remark. It sounds like that indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    "heroic, haunting and romantic, a throwback to Old Hollywood."

Hm.
    I will sample this score and report back whether my eyebrows currently raised to stratospheric levels in rather cynical disbelief of that rather hyperbolic assessment have returned back to more terran levels.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010
    I don't think it's a comment far away from reality actually; people are having difficulties digesting it or openly admitting something like that, 'cause it comes from a place where we aren't normally used to attributing such remarks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2010 edited
    It might be heroic, romantic and haunting (although that last one is pushing it), it's certainly not much in the way of "Old Hollywood." At least not in my eyes. Sure, it has an appropriately 'sweeping' main theme with some ethnic touches here and there, but I'm sure for someone like Bruckheimer -who has a particularly anti-Golden Age approach to film music- those things equate to "Lawrence of Arabia!" applause <- Bruckheimer

Hence his comment.

I do like it, I just don't think it's quite as impressive as a few have pointed out. I certainly don't think it's a score that elicits the Old Hollywood™ sound.... just listen to Shearmur's Sky Captain for a TRUE throwback to the Golden Age.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Steven wrote
    It might be heroic, romantic and haunting (although that last one is pushing it), it's certainly not much in the way of "Old Hollywood." At least not in my eyes. Sure, it has an appropriately 'sweeping' main theme with some ethnic touches here and there, but I'm sure for someone like Bruckheimer -who has a particularly anti-Golden Age approach to film music- those things equate to "Lawrence of Arabia!" applause <- Bruckheimer

Hence his comment.

When I was watching the film, I noticed bits and pieces of Jarre's and Rozsa's style in the score (especially in the final 10 minutes of the film). There's some definite Bruckheimer style in terms of the celli writing and male chorus, but it's a decidedly refreshing change of pace. I do think Newell had a bigger input in the score than, say, Verbinski and Turtletaub did with their movies.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a rather interesting 2010 take on Old Hollywood; not the old sound per se as in the brilliant anyway Sky captain and the world of tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    My mini review of Prince of persia for anyone interested:

http://www.demetrischristodoulides.com/ … time-2010/
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    It’s a listening experience bound to grow immensely with the time and has a lot of graces; for one, the opening track with the first glorious appearance of the main theme and all its later renditions in general, bear qualities from eras past

beer
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's a rather interesting 2010 take on Old Hollywood

Your definition of interesting must be different to mine!
  1. I think Prince of Persia would be much better if he developed his action a bit more (rather than going Narnia/KoH string action writing almost all the time, alas) and less electronica in the style of Tony Scott
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In the movie the electronica is not listenable. And the action cues fit the scenes perfectly.
  2. I haven't seen the film (and not too sure I want to really), what I simply mean is that this score has a few HGW tricks too many to be regarded too highly. If he went a bit further with his style, then, with this thematic material, which is pretty great, it would have been better.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I will admit that it's a nice surprise from Harry Gregson-Williams. I wouldn't go quite as far as Demetris' grandiloquent language in describing this score, but it has its moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    I wouldn't go quite as far as Demetris' grandiloquent language in describing this score, but it has its moments.

Greeks
    !!! Passionate about anything they like! rolleyes wink

P.S. I do agree with him thought! tongue
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a nice, thematic score that's quite enjoyable.
    It's absolutely nothing like anything come out of Hollywood's Golden Age (and why should it? confused)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote

Greeks
    !!! Passionate about anything they like! rolleyes wink

Just AnyTHING?
    Or also anyONE?

Just asking. Pure academic interest, obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    AnyTHING, AnyONE you name it! We love passionately and we also hate passionately. You should know! I mean of course your knowledge of ancient greek tragedy wink tongue
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    ... also hate passionately...

Well, for that of course we now have the intervention of the ancient Roman God Valium and that old Persian God Temazepam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010
    Animated Views interviewed Harry again. smile

Composer Harry Gregson-Williams takes us far, far away, from Prince of Persia to Shrek Forever After
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks for the link, nice interview. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp

Thanks for the link.
  3. Update of Harry Gregson-Williams material:

- The Borrowers
    - Passionada
    - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    - Shrek
    - Shrek 2
    - Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
    - Veronica Guerin
    - X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Enjoy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010
    THE TOWN

“One of the ten best novels of the year” – Stephen King Based on Chuck Hogan’s Hammett Prize-winning novel ‘Prince Of Thieves’, THE TOWN is a hard-hitting crime thriller directed by Ben Affleck and starring Affleck, Rebecca Hall and Jon Hamm.

Four masked men—thieves, rivals, and friends from the tough streets of Charlestown—take on a Boston bank at gunpoint. Holding bank manager Claire Keesey (Rebecca Hall) hostage and cleaning out the vault were simple. But career criminal Doug MacRay (Ben Affleck) didn't plan on one thing: falling hard for Claire. When he tracks her down without his mask and gun, their mutual attraction is undeniable. With a tenacious FBI agent (Jon Hamm) following his every move, he imagines a life away from his gritty, dangerous work—a life centered around Claire. But before that can happen, Doug and his crew learn that there may be a way to rob Boston's venerable baseball stadium, Fenway Park. Risky yet utterly irresistible, it would be the perfect heist to end his criminal career and begin a new life. But, as it turns out, pursuing Claire may be the most dangerous act of all.

source:
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … PRE-ORDER/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010
    cd release:
    http://www.amazon.com/Town-Sountrack-Gr … mp;s=music
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Someone brave enough to listen to this tell us if there's anything of redeeming value...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    Someone brave enough to listen to this tell us if there's anything of redeeming value...

Will someone send me a copy? I'm brave. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorLars
    soundclips

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Town/dp/B0041X41R0

i love the main theme. the score sounds a little bit like GONE BABY GONE and DÉJÀ VU.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Lars wrote

i love the main theme. the score sounds a little bit like GONE BABY GONE and DÉJÀ VU.

Surprise, surprise! shocked
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010
    Scribe wrote

Have people already forgotten that his music this year has been good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010 edited
    Panthera wrote
    Scribe wrote

Have people already forgotten that his music this year has been good?

Yes! Remember that HGW's modern electronic scoring isn't welcomed very much around here, since he does it once a year. Sure. scores like Gone Baby Gone and Deja Vu weren't great or distinctive, but they worked really well for the movies they accompanied. Plus The Town is from the same team as Gone Baby Gone with similar settings and similar mood.

I will wait until I can listen to it.