• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010
    you do nothing. All is identical to the joker, instrumentation arrangements and all
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    you do nothing. All is identical to the joker, instrumentation arrangements and all

We'll disagree on that.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    New project for HGW:

Harry Gregson-Williams to score ‘Cowboys & Aliens’

Movie's premise nothing great, at all.....

According to the film’s new trailer, Harry Gregson-Williams has been hired to score the upcoming sci-fi action movie Cowboys & Aliens. The Dreamworks movie is directed by Jon Favreau, who worked with composer John Debney on most of his movies including Elf, Zathura and Iron Man 2.

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … ys-aliens/

I was hoping for John Debney instead. Hoping Harry does a more Prince of Persia move here too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011
    ‘Life in a Day’ to feature music by Harry Gregson-Williams

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … -williams/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    Anyone seen this 2010 movie?

TWELVE, music by Harry Gregson-Williams
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anyone seen this 2010 movie?

TWELVE, music by Harry Gregson-Williams

Forget it, both the music and the film.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heheheh good enough for me smile
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Heheheh good enough for me smile

that comment made me a lot more curious now wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011 edited
    The official website for COWBOYS & ALIENS currently features a track from what probably is the original score from Harry Gregson-Williams. It's just a snippet from a build-up track (so it takes a while to get going, and it probably ends before it really reaches a climax), but he certainly is going West in a fresh way (at least more Prince of Persia then Wolverine in sound) and just before it fades, a horn solo starts. I've got good hopes for a fun score.

http://www.cowboysandaliensmovie.com/
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011
    Three clips of the score:
    http://www.colosseum.de/product_info.ph … i0cj86klj7

www.colosseum.de

doesn't sound too bad to me! Could be fun...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011
    LIFE IN A DAY soundtrack details

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/10/12 … k-details/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    New score

ARTHUR CHRISTMAS

Cd cover, tracklisting and info:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 … amp;sr=1-1
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011
    The sound clips are interesting....
  3. First we went from:

"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
    Herrmann to Tyler Bates

Then:
    "Conan"
    Basil Poleudoris to Tyler Bates

And:
    "Clash of the Titans"
    Laurence Rosenthal to Ramin Dwjasomethingorother

And now I give you!:

"Total Recall"
    Jery Goldsmith to Harry Gregson-Williams

Yes, new FSM Online magainze interview has him saying that's upcoming.

Let the bitching, aside from die hard HG-W fans, commence.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011
    sleep
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuuuuuuuuck.

Fuck Hollywood, seriously.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I probably only care if the film is good.

The original Total Recall was an okay film far overmatched by it's score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011 edited
    Does it matter, really, who scores the remake? They're not taking the original movie and tossing out the score. It's a new movie, a remake, yes, but it's a different movie, so shouldn't it require a different composer? Is it a childhood thing? Are they messing with your childhood? Raping it and such?

Seriously, these remakes will never be the same as the originals, so as long as we still have those, and I LOVE TOTAL RECALL, they can remake anything they want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2011 edited
    lp wrote
    Does it matter, really, who scores the remake? They're not taking the original movie and tossing out the score. It's a new movie, a remake, yes, but it's a different movie, so shouldn't it require a different composer? Is it a childhood thing? Are they messing with your childhood? Raping it and such?

Seriously, these remakes will never be the same as the originals, so as long as we still have those, and I LOVE TOTAL RECALL, they can remake anything they want.

yeah
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, George Lucas raped my childhood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    No, George Lucas raped my childhood.

You have a very fragile childhood. Is this about Star Wars or Indiana Jones? Or BOTH? LOL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011 edited
    lp wrote
    Does it matter, really, who scores the remake?

Yes, it matters to me because I'm a fan of film music.

lp wrote
    They're not taking the original movie and tossing out the score. It's a new movie, a remake, yes, but it's a different movie, so shouldn't it require a different composer?

Who said it didn't?

lp wroteSeriously, these remakes will never be the same as the originals, so as long as we still have those, and I LOVE TOTAL RECALL, they can remake anything they want.

Sure they can... but at least put some effort into it! Historically speaking most remakes are utter trash!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011
    harry gregson-williams would be an interesting choice. i also think that the music style of a composer has to fit with the movie. like harry gregson-williams' scores for the tony scott movies. his scores are not groundbreaking compositions, but the style and the mood of the music fit perfect to the style and the mood of the scott movies. and if thats also the case with the new Total Recall then he could be the right guy for this job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011 edited
    Lars wrote
    i also think that the music style of a composer has to fit with the movie. like harry gregson-williams' scores for the tony scott movies. his scores are not groundbreaking compositions, but the style and the mood of the music fit perfect to the style and the mood of the scott movies.

They fit the mood that Tony Scott wants, but they make an already bad film even worse. Gregson-Williams has stated in various interviews that he would like to write something a little more album-friendly (to paraphrase), but Scott simply won't allow it. To film music fans, Tony Scott is the devil.

Harry Gregson-Williams on the other is an okay composer, but he rarely produces anything particularly interesting. Some good themes here and there, but on the whole his scores are dull.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Steven wrote
    They fit the mood that Tony Scott wants, but they make an already bad film even worse. Gregson-Williams has stated in various interviews that he would like to write something a little more album-friendly (to paraphrase), but Scott simply won't allow it. To film music fans, Tony Scott is the devil.

the action material is most of the time not good, but i love the emotional parts. i find his simple piano/strings themes perfect for this "cold" look of the scott movies. he started with this style in Enemy Of The State. Brill's Theme is amazing and i think it fits perfect to the setting and the cinematography of this movie. and he continued with this style until this day, because scott shoots his movies in this way until this day. scott/gregson-williams is a perfect combo. maybe the scores are no highlight for filmscore fans but for the mood and the style of these movies they are perfect. i really love the atmosphere the music creates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fair enough! I can't disagree that you like it. smile

Personally I can't stand it. It's stock atmospheric scoring that makes no attempt to get under the character's skins or heighten the tension of the story a way a proper score would. Even the 'emotional parts' are devoid of much merit. They suddenly appear, and I'm like "Oh, this bit's meant to be emotional. Okay, I get it", rather than feeling it.

I'm not against 'atmospheric' scoring, as it can be a very effective way of scoring a movie. Just look at David Julyan's scores to Christopher Nolan's films! They completely get under the skin of the story and the characters and work brilliantly. But Tony Scott is no Christopher Nolan, and his films call for something far more interesting than stock, a-melodic synth pulses. (Enemy of the State is admittedly an entertaining film, and I rather like its score. But Scott has since been moving towards less and less interesting scores.)

Fuck Tony Scott.
    Fuck Michael Bay.
    Fuck George Lucas.
    Fuck Hollywood.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Steven wrote
    Fair enough! I can't disagree that you like it. smile

Personally I can't stand it. It's stock atmospheric scoring that makes no attempt to get under the character's skins or heighten the tension of the story a way a proper score would. Even the 'emotional parts' are devoid of much merit. They suddenly appear, and I'm like "Oh, this bit's meant to be emotional. Okay, I get it", rather than feeling it.

you're right. i also have the feeling, that the music is not really for the characters, the story or the tension, but more for the "look" and the "setting" of the movie. it's simple atmospheric music without a specific meaning. like the movies the music is "style/look over content". i don't listen to the action music on cd very often, but the piano/strings parts have a special feeling for me and in the movie. but maybe that feeling is more a "taste of music".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Does it matter, really, who scores the remake?

Yes, it matters to me because I'm a fan of film music.

lp wrote
    They're not taking the original movie and tossing out the score. It's a new movie, a remake, yes, but it's a different movie, so shouldn't it require a different composer?

Who said it didn't?

lp wroteSeriously, these remakes will never be the same as the originals, so as long as we still have those, and I LOVE TOTAL RECALL, they can remake anything they want.

Sure they can... but at least put some effort into it! Historically speaking most remakes are utter trash!

-Erik-

TOTAL RECALL is based on Philip K. Dick's I CAN REMEMBER IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE, I'm just wondering if anyone has read the book? I've heard it's quite different to the Arnie film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt