• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011
    Lars wrote
    Steven wrote
    Fair enough! I can't disagree that you like it. smile

Personally I can't stand it. It's stock atmospheric scoring that makes no attempt to get under the character's skins or heighten the tension of the story a way a proper score would. Even the 'emotional parts' are devoid of much merit. They suddenly appear, and I'm like "Oh, this bit's meant to be emotional. Okay, I get it", rather than feeling it.

you're right. i also have the feeling, that the music is not really for the characters, the story or the tension, but more for the "look" and the "setting" of the movie. it's simple atmospheric music without a specific meaning. like the movies the music is "style/look over content". i don't listen to the action music on cd very often, but the piano/strings parts have a special feeling for me and in the movie. but maybe that feeling is more a "taste of music".

Can't argue with that! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Isn't that what is referred to as 'wallpaper' music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, that pretty much sums up what HGW does for Scott's movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Does it matter, really, who scores the remake?

Yes, it matters to me because I'm a fan of film music.

lp wrote
    They're not taking the original movie and tossing out the score. It's a new movie, a remake, yes, but it's a different movie, so shouldn't it require a different composer?

Who said it didn't?

lp wroteSeriously, these remakes will never be the same as the originals, so as long as we still have those, and I LOVE TOTAL RECALL, they can remake anything they want.

Sure they can... but at least put some effort into it! Historically speaking most remakes are utter trash!

-Erik-

Since you have a generic problem with remake, my comments wasn't referring to you. Personally, I think Hollywood should retitles all the remakes so it would seems like they were only semi-rehashing original stories.

My take on all of this is, if the remake isn't good on its own merits, and the composer on that production didn't do a good job despite the movie, then fine. Conan the Barbarian (2011) was an average movie with a pedestrian score. If it wasn't called Conan, it would still have been an average movie, with a pedestrian score. And this is after the fact.

And I don't consider most remakes to be utter trash. It's too broad and subjective and I try to shy away from that. Frankly, I find that judging/decrying the choice of composer for a movie that hasn't been released, in any form, is too much of a fanboy move, and I think we should be better than that. The filmography of Lens Wiseman has shown that he has made some solid choice in composers and his movie had some good orchestral music going on in it, so the idea of HGW doing Total Recall isn't a bad thing to me, considering the current details. At least, I can count on having a theme, a melody, an orchestra and electronics and some nice action cues. And that's all I can say about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Isn't that what is referred to as 'wallpaper' music.

I thought it was about an abundance of non-stop music.

And to be fair, wallpapers in general have a specific look and feel to each design and does change the interior environment that it is applied to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011 edited
    lp wrote
    so the idea of HGW doing Total Recall isn't a bad thing to me, considering the current details. At least, I can count on having a theme, a melody, an orchestra and electronics and some nice action cues. And that's all I can say about it.

If new Total Recall has a melody, it would sure be more than the original ever had...

Goodbye now. smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Scribe wrote
    lp wrote
    so the idea of HGW doing Total Recall isn't a bad thing to me, considering the current details. At least, I can count on having a theme, a melody, an orchestra and electronics and some nice action cues. And that's all I can say about it.

If new Total Recall has a melody, it would sure be more than the original ever had...

Goodbye now. smile

HAH!

The original did have its fair share of motifs that were used liberally that I'd consider them as good as any thematic materials. It worked only because Goldsmith was a master at developing those ideas into dramatic and full blown action cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It worked because it was AWESOME! punk

Though not for everyone, I admit. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And an opening of Goldsmith homaging Poledouris homaging Goldsmith wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It worked because it was AWESOME! punk

Though not for everyone, I admit. wink

For everyone who counts.

FACT! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2011
    Good lord, Prince of Persia is getting better with each listen. After seeing the movie again I thought let's get the score. I really liked the movie as well.

My favourite track at the moment is Raid on Alamut. It is a really good action piece with heroic end. Great theme.

I like the opening Prince of Persia too. It's setting the right mood and presenting the themes very nicely. Listening to it now I think it's really really good!

This Is No Ordinary Dagger starts off with the one theme and then an outburst of the other theme ( rolleyes you all see why I don't write reviews... hehe). One is probably Dastan's theme and the other Dagger theme or something, I have no idea.

Listen to these clips and then tell me it is not a good score! A nice HGW surprise.

Oh, new desktop. And yes, I know the movie is almost two years old.
    tongue
  1. It´s certainly one of HGW´s biggest achievements yet, rousing and hummable. I used to listen to the score quite a lot during its first year of existence, and I also happen to like the movie a lot. A shame that neither PoP nor Sorceror´s Apprentice got picked up for a sequel. Disney must have counted upon both movies to start new franchises, and while they both "underperformed" a bit, I imagine the DVD and BluRay sales would be good enough...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    With the exception of the exceptional PRINCE OF PERSIA, HGW feels like the 2nd most bored composer working in hollywood these days after Howard Shore; let's hope he finds some Prince of Persia inspiration for this one although hollywood remakes are a dead horse 90% of the time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2012
    Listening to Arthur Christmas. Nothing new, but I'm enjoying it more than anything HGW's written since the first Narnia... maybe? He's been churning out so many boring scores lately that have all just sounded kind of diluted or something. But this one is just pure HGW, and his more orchestral side too. Very thematic, easy listening.
  2. Feliz wrote
    Listening to Arthur Christmas. Nothing new, but I'm enjoying it more than anything HGW's written since the first Narnia... maybe? He's been churning out so many boring scores lately that have all just sounded kind of diluted or something. But this one is just pure HGW, and his more orchestral side too. Very thematic, easy listening.

very good score indeed, enjoyed it immensely
    expect a review soon
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. review of Arthur Christmas
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012 edited
    iTunes now has soundclips up from Harry's TOTAL RECALL, and to be honest... it ain't bad. You do need to have an open mind on electronic soundscaping (it's about 80% electronics, with 20% of organic percussion or orchestra mixed in between), but while people are comparing it to his WOLVERINE, in my opinion it seems to be a lot better than that mindless droning. Just don't expect anything colorful or melodic.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/tot … d548732394
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Southall wrote
    How does it compare to this..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF1KTIbyl84

It doesn't. And you shouldn't. It's something different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    Southall wrote
    How does it compare to this..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF1KTIbyl84

It doesn't. And you shouldn't. It's something different.

Actually, you should compare. Total Recall is quality scoring and something Gregson-Williams should strive for!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Can anyone think of a score to a remake that is better than the original?
  4. The Magnificent Seven? wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The Magnificent Seven? wink

That's sort of cheating. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, and I'll raise you with A Fistful of Dollars. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    iTunes now has soundclips up from Harry's TOTAL RECALL, and to be honest... it ain't bad. You do need to have an open mind on electronic soundscaping (it's about 80% electronics, with 20% of organic percussion or orchestra mixed in between), but while people are comparing it to his WOLVERINE, in my opinion it seems to be a lot better than that mindless droning. Just don't expect anything colorful or melodic.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/preorder/tot … d548732394

Pretty much how I expected it to sound. Loops, samples, sound design and effects mashed together to create nothing but lowest common-denominator film music. There's little of anything to distinguish this score from the rest the banal stuff that's being written for modern sci-fi these days (minus stuff like Tron Legacy of course.) I mean, what in the living f__k is up with "The Tripping Den?" Ear splitting noise! Awful noise! Kill it with fire!!!

You know what's sad about this sort of stuff really? Anyone, and I mean ANYONE with Garageband could come up with this generic junk!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Mutiny of the Bounty? The Fly? Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Mutiny of the Bounty? The Fly? Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey?

-Erik-

I'll correct you on your behalf Erik, you mean Kaper's score over the 1930's version and not the remake with Vangelis biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Righto!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

The Amazing Spider-Man.