• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Can anyone think of a score to a remake that is better than the original?

The Amazing Spider-Man.

The Karate Kid.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2012 edited
    I agree with you on both of those James. I'm no fan of either Elfman or Conti's scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I like Elfman's, I have to say. But not as much as Horner's. Conti's is not one of his best... I expect someone to say that neither of these films is really a remake, but I will tell them in advance to go and boil their head.
  1. Timmer wrote

I think there's about half a dozen good ones -- byt they're all OLDER films when they were remade, like "The Ten Commandments".

I hear the recent remake of "True Grit" is just as good, if not better than the original. But often I find people are wrong, so I can't say for sure.

Avoid "Phenomenon 2", a TV movies which while titled "2", was nothing more than a POOR remake.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Amazing Spider-Man.

False!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Amazing Spider-Man.

The Karate Kid.

Double false!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Barry's King Kong is better than both it's predecessor and it's later remake.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Mutiny of the Bounty? The Fly? Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey?

-Erik-

I'll correct you on your behalf Erik, you mean Kaper's score over the 1930's version and not the remake with Vangelis biggrin wink

The Vangelis score blows the Kaper literally out of the water!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Amazing Spider-Man.

Absolutely agree, i've seen the film last night (finally) and was completely blown-away by it. Both film and score miles away from the original.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    John Barry's King Kong is better than both it's predecessor and it's later remake.

What if i think JNH's remake tops all other 2..
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

That one is written by about 500 people and it's still not better than John Barry's. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

I'll correct you on your behalf Erik, you mean Kaper's score over the 1930's version and not the remake with Vangelis biggrin wink

You can go back to your corner now.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Amazing Spider-Man.

Absolutely agree, i've seen the film last night (finally) and was completely blown-away by it. Both film and score miles away from the original.

Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

You think both the new Spider-Man film and score are better than the original so your opinion is not valid!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    You think both the new Spider-Man film and score are better than the original so your opinion is not valid!

-Erik-

Well... they are! FACT! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012
    Erik Woods wrote

You know what's sad about this sort of stuff really? Anyone, and I mean ANYONE with Garageband could come up with this generic junk!

-Erik-

You should try it. No snark or irony from me, but I'd like to see you prove that statement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Are you MAD?!? shocked

By the way, as to remake scores being preferable to the originals, I think Rozsa's Ben Hur might slightly edge out over William Axt's 1925 effort. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

You know what's sad about this sort of stuff really? Anyone, and I mean ANYONE with Garageband could come up with this generic junk!

-Erik-

You should try it. No snark or irony from me, but I'd like to see you prove that statement.

I have! And it sucks.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Are you MAD?!? shocked

By the way, as to remake scores being preferable to the originals, I think Rozsa's Ben Hur might slightly edge out over William Axt's 1925 effort. wink

In this houseful of madmen? Yes! Of course I am.

We agree on Ben-Hur I can assure you beer wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I have! And it sucks.

-Erik-

What do you mean, that you tried to compose via Garage Band and it sucks?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It sounds like the crud Gregson-Williams spewed out. It's amazing what you can do with loops, effects and basic musical training. It sounds like the low of the low RC junk.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

You can go back to your corner now.

-Erik-

Ready for round 2, you mean? wink

Kaper's score is fine (especially in context of the film), but I've always found it grating after a little while -- and I only have the ol' LP release; I can't even imagine what the 58CD-set or whatever it is, is like!

Vangelis' score, on the other hand, is pure bliss from start to finish. Too bad only two tracks have been released, while the rerecording is disappointing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The disparity between Gregson-Williams' best and worst is pretty staggering actually. When you hear the stuff he's written for a full orchestra you realise he can be a very fine composer (The Borrowers, Sinbad and recently, Arthur Christmas, are representative of his talents in this area). And yet his CV is littered with appallingly awful scores - basically anything with an over-reliance on electronics, but especially the stuff for Tony Scott.
  2. Timmer wrote

The Thin Red Line
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Thin Red Line

A remake!?!?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    The disparity between Gregson-Williams' best and worst is pretty staggering actually. When you hear the stuff he's written for a full orchestra you realise he can be a very fine composer (The Borrowers, Sinbad and recently, Arthur Christmas, are representative of his talents in this area). And yet his CV is littered with appallingly awful scores - basically anything with an over-reliance on electronics, but especially the stuff for Tony Scott.

Kingdom of Heaven was quite good too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Thin Red Line

Solaris.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Thin Red Line

A remake!?!?

Yeap! A 1964 film with a score by Malcolm Arnold. ( personally I've not seen the film or heard Arnold's score )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

The Thin Red Line

A remake!?!?

Yeap! A 1964 film with a score by Malcolm Arnold. ( personally I've not seen the film or heard Arnold's score )

That's the first I've heard of it. I thought it was an original Malick screenplay. Was the old film also called THE THIN RED LINE?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012 edited
    Yes it was.

It also starred Keir Dullea, notable ( at least for me ) because I can only think of two other films he's been in and you'll know both of those wink