• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Thin Red Line is the adaptation of James Jones' novel (brilliant one at that) of the same title. It's about the nonsensical fight over a fictional hill in Guadalcanal from the point of view of a company.

I haven't seen the 1964 film, but it's worth noting that Malick's film also quotes the most famous Jones novel - From Here to Eternity - at the beginning of the movie.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2012
    Timmer wrote
    Yes it was.

It also starred Keir Dullea, notable ( at least for me ) because I can only think of two other films he's been in and you'll know both of those wink

Yeah....in addition to the obvious, I also know Dullea from the Canadian(?) sci fi series THE STARLOST from the 70's, which I checked out in my neverending quest for science fiction set aboard spaceships. Don't check it out, though...it's absolutely horrible and cheap.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've never heard of it and will probably soon forget you ever mentioned it. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012 edited
    lp wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

You know what's sad about this sort of stuff really? Anyone, and I mean ANYONE with Garageband could come up with this generic junk!

-Erik-

You should try it. No snark or irony from me, but I'd like to see you prove that statement.

I've been searching high and low for my Garageband custom tunes and for some reason I can't locate them. angry Many are really crappy tunes thrown together for corporate videos but here was one that I was playing around with a few years ago that helps demonstrate the fact that anyone can really throw together something along the lines of Gregson-Williams' bland Total Recall score. I wish I had the action track I was working on a few weeks ago... Grrrr...

Anyway, click HERE to be dazzled! This is my Symphonette #2. biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Can anyone think of a score to a remake that is better than the original?

The Thin Red Line

A remake!?!?

Yeap! A 1964 film with a score by Malcolm Arnold. ( personally I've not seen the film or heard Arnold's score )

That's the first I've heard of it. I thought it was an original Malick screenplay. Was the old film also called THE THIN RED LINE?

Yes. They're both based on the James Jones' novel, and I suspect Malick has never seen the old film.

But on remake scores... sorry Demetris -- can't agree on SOLARIS. Martinez's score is more pleasant to listen to, but Artemyev's is a much more inventive piece of music.

Maybe Howard Shore's THE DEPARTED vs the more orchestral INFERNAL AFFAIRS score? (There's a case either way there.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012
    Boy oh boy, if you take a look at rottentomatoes, the Total Recall remake seems to also be a big flop as a movie!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Maybe Howard Shore's THE DEPARTED vs the more orchestral INFERNAL AFFAIRS score? (There's a case either way there.)

I liked Shore's music (a Howard Shore score that isn't oppressively miserable!) but preferred the Infernal Affairs scores, copies of which I have thanks to a certain Antipodean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Boy oh boy, if you take a look at rottentomatoes, the Total Recall remake seems to also be a big flop as a movie!

Now there's a shocker. slant
    (I have to say though, from the trailer I found the little design nods to Bladerunner a nice inside joke)

I'm fairly certain Robocop mark 2 will go down the same route.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2012 edited
    Martijn wrote
    I'm fairly certain Robocop mark 2 will go down the same route.

Not entirely sure you can jump to that conclusion. The Total Recall remake, after all, is directed by Len Wiseman who, before this, was mainly involved in the not-that-well-received Underworld films and Die Hard 4.0. RoboCop, on the other hand, is helmed by José Padilha, director of the critically very well received Elite Squad films (part 2 is 95% on RT). It also features actors like Gary Oldman. So I think we can expect a little bit more from this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyway, click HERE to be dazzled! This is my Symphonette #2. biggrin

-Erik-

Wow, I will now open a new thread titled ERIK WOODS tongue

Funny to hear what an adult can do with garageband. I only hear my kids creations and those are not bad either. They prefer to use funny voice recordings in it though...
    wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2012
    What he wrote about Tony Scott:

Harry Gregson Williams
    Tony Scott

The news of Tony's death reached me whilst I was leaving a music festival in the UK and, like many others, I find it nothing short of devastating. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to Donna, and to his boys and the rest of the Scott family. What a desperately sad & bewieldering loss.

I last spoke to Tony about 10 days ago just as I was about to leave the US for my upcoming sabbatical year. A year in which I had decided not to score many, if any, films & do considerably less studio work in order to focus instead on my ever expanding family, and on some teaching and performing projects. I had previously talked to Tony about this plan of mine and of my anxiety at the possibility of being unavailable to him for his next film if he were to go in to production quite soon....he joked with me that he would track me down wherever I was and we would 'go into battle' once again no matter what. He thought the timing would be just perfect and told me I wasn't to worry.

He was always confident and optimistic towards me and my music. Always. He encouraged me to have faith in what we did together and not to worry about anything or anyone else. He believed in me, and he let me know it, which I found unusual and exceptional. It was understood between us without it ever having to have been said that complete & total commitment and 100% immersion in our work was all he required in return for this trust & belief. I'm certain he was the same with all his creative team as he recognized a kindred spirit and demanded a fierce loyalty.

I first met Tony way back on his rather grim movie 'The Fan'. You could say it was on that score that Hans Zimmer passed scoring duties of his movies over to me. Tony pushed Hans very hard during that time. Hans' music editor and I found Hans lying on the floor outside the bathrooms at Media Ventures one evening. He'd over done it and had momentarily collapsed under the strain of that score. As he recovered in a chair, Hans told me that working with Tony required nerves of steel but that if there was one person you could follow over the top and 'in to battle' it would & should be Tony Scott. So I did.

He was, indeed, a kind of Patton-esque character (albeit pink hatted) and a truly unforgettable & formidable artist to work with. Fearless yet thoughtful, strong as an ox yet amazingly sensitive, always utterly focused on his vision, yet never lacking in humor and compassion and never losing sight of his and our great fortune to be working on movies for a living.

I loved scoring movies for Tony Scott and I can honestly say that each and everyone of those experiences has left an indelible mark on me. From the sadness of 'Man on Fire' to the kick in 'Spy Game' to the lunacy of 'Domino', Tony always believed so whole heartedly and passionately in his work that it was nothing short of a privilege to be a part of his team, time and time again.

He was a one of a kind and will be sorely missed.

Harry Gregson-Williams
    Tony's composer:

Enemy of the State
    Spy Game,
    Beat the Devil,
    Man on Fire,
    Domino,
    Deja Vu,
    The Taking of Pelham 123
    Unstoppable
  3. Beautiful and heartfelt note.
  4. Thanks for sharing, D.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013
    Anyone know what's going on with Harry? He has no confirmed upcoming projects that I can find. Is he taking a break like JP?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. He provided themes for "The East" (opening next month), otherwise scored by Halli Cauthery (who's worked with him recently).

Maybe his "Total Recall" score didn't have a big a reception in Hollywood as it did on the score boards. Maybe he's taking time off.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. Scribe wrote
    Anyone know what's going on with Harry? He has no confirmed upcoming projects that I can find. Is he taking a break like JP?

Yeah, I think he's taking a sabbatical year or two. He mentions it in the note about Tony Scott just above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013
    I never saw that in the note before. Good to know, thanks.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013
    He made a montage of his Tony Scott film scores:
    https://soundcloud.com/harry-gw/hg-w-to … cores#play
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2014
    Whatever happened with Harry Gregson Williams ?
    • CommentAuthorLars
    he will write the score for the new antoine fuqua movie The Equalizer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice to hear this, thanks. I thought that after Scott he'd be having problems getting new assingments. In the meantime, Zimmer has collaborated with his brother (Rupert) on the new release for WINTER'S TALE
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/winte … d794678328 and http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?ru … mp;id=1208
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Winter's Tale is also available on spotify. i think its a very lovely score with some beautiful piano and string writing and wonderful themes. the suspense/action material sounds modern and has more of the (harry) gregson-williams style than the rcp style. it is a nice and well balanced contrast to the orchestral part.
  7. Demetris wrote
    Nice to hear this, thanks. I thought that after Scott he'd be having problems getting new assingments. In the meantime, Zimmer has collaborated with his brother (Rupert) on the new release for WINTER'S TALE
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/winte … d794678328 and http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?ru … mp;id=1208

He took a year-long sabbatical, even before Scott died. They were talking about Top Gun 2 and schedules, Tony told him not to worry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014
    Lars wrote
    Winter's Tale is also available on spotify. i think its a very lovely score with some beautiful piano and string writing and wonderful themes. the suspense/action material sounds modern and has more of the (harry) gregson-williams style than the rcp style. it is a nice and well balanced contrast to the orchestral part.

It's very HGW indeed; reminded me a lot of the older ZIMMER-HGW collaborations from the 90's and early 00's...at times i looked back to confirm it was Rupert and not HGW...this is how i was reminded of Harry and posted in here smile Pleasant little score but it's forgettable once you hit stop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014
    New HGW score in years:

THE EQUALIZER,
    getting a release:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … The/Detail
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2014
    CD cover for The Equalizer now available at the above link
  8. Years? When did he take a year off?

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (2014) (VG) (filming)
    Blackhat (2015) (completed)
    The Equalizer (2014) (completed)
    Hate from a Distance (2014)
    Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (2014) (VG)
    The East (2013) (themes)
    A Nutshell for 2013 (2013)
    Love Never Fails/Forever Found (2013)
    Mr. Pip (2012)
    Total Recall (2012)
    I Am Bad (2012)
    Arthur Christmas (2011)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    When was last major assignment? most of those you mention are heard by almost nobody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think listened to Total Recall? Like the film, can't remember a damn thing about it.

...Ooh, wait, no. I think it had Bryan Cranston in it!