• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2007
    DemonStar wrote
    Kingdom of Heaven and Chronicles of Narnia are my favourites. Listen to "The Battle" from Narnia, that's pure musical genius!!

...and then listen to The Battle from Kingdom of Heaven. Frighteningly equal genius dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    Happy 46th Birthday to Harry! beer
  1. Anthony wrote
    Happy 46th Birthday to Harry! beer

Happy birthday, Harry!

beer
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Hey its Harry birthday?

Cheers mate, happy birthday smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    YEah! Have a great one! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    He's really 46? Wow
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008
    I'm pretty sure you guys have seen the official one-sheet poster of Prince Caspian, but for those who haven't, the poster definitely confirms there will be a soundtrack release of the score.

Is the score being recorded in L.A. again, or will it be recorded in London? Dan, perhaps you could clarify this? confused
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2008 edited
    BobdH wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Kingdom of Heaven and Chronicles of Narnia are my favourites. Listen to "The Battle" from Narnia, that's pure musical genius!!

...and then listen to The Battle from Kingdom of Heaven. Frighteningly equal genius dizzy

Hardly! rolleyes

I would use the words 'frighteningly generic heard it all before....ho hum!' rolleyes

The word 'genius' is used far too much at this board.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    That's what I meant with 'equal genius', emphasis on the 'equal' wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    BobdH wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Hardly! rolleyes

I would use the words 'frighteningly generic heard it all before....ho hum!' rolleyes

The word 'genius' is used far too much at this board.

I never use it when it's not appropriate! :smug: :teacher's pet:

Kingdom of Hevean and Chronicles of Narnia are NOT pure musical genius.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What exactly is so good about Narnia? I thought it was so standard for an adventure score. confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    What exactly is so good about Narnia? I thought it was so standard for an adventure score. confused

Yep! It's generic workman like music. I neither like or dislike it, I'm just indifferent to it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008 edited
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - Rundown

If you feel like listening to 45 minutes of constantly banging Latin-colored drums and percussion sets of all kinds interweaved with the trademarked HGW sound traits - like the heavy use of otherwise cleverly and ably constructed swooshing electronics mixed with minimal traits of string orchestra and synths – along with whistles and carnival parade tribalisms, then this is for you. If you wanna feel like being part of the screaming Brazil crowd in a football match of their team VS anything, then this is again for you.

Nothing notably changes throughout except perhaps the couple of doses from the necessarily-showcased, trademarked Media Ventures (Remote Control studios) staccato string-brass-n-percussion riffs and some cool spy-like music coupled with a sparse but welcome light breeze of ethereal acoustic guitar and relaxing synths pieces; if this sounds as typical and static as this score is in reality and would prefer the more melodic and touching side of Harry Gregson Williams, even as showcased in his dreadfully clichéd and self-repeated (but believe me FAR more interesting than this) scores for the Tony Scott films, then make sure you stay as far as possible from this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2008
    YIPES!!! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2008
    45 minute of constantly banging percussion? Wow, I guess you really hate this score because the score isn't constantly loud and meaningless for 45minute straight. It's true that the emphasis is on percussion, but there's a freshness that Harry's managed to achieve without turning the sound level up to 11. I mean, it's incredible how less than half the running time is action cues, yet the album doesn't lag during the full running time.

I've also seen the movie a couple of time and the score is extremely effective and supportive of the on screen happenings. It really influenced my appreciation of the music on album. It's very similar to Man on Fire in that respect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mate, for the 3/4 of its duration it sounds like being in a goddamn parade; or a football match, that is NOT something i'd ever want to listen in my own home; too loud and too meaningless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    The Rundown is fun and cool Demetris!

Hot samba dancers, mambo's, trumpets, enthousiast percussion, al performed by a school from Rio de Janeiro. (I don't have the credits here, but in the booklet it said it was recorded on location)

If you don't like parada kinda music, then this is nothing for you, like you said Demetris, but it's not banging percussion. Like lp said, it's kinda fresh and upbeat.

And track 10, Monkeys and Rebels, is the most fun of them all, with that bird flute.
    How catchy. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i am glad some people like it wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well i am glad some people like it wink

biggrin tongue
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    All I remember from the score is a ton of percussion and electric guitars. dizzy

It was ok in the film, but I don't think I'd buy it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ah yes, back in the days when HG-W actually theatened that he might be good.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Does anyone else consider The Borrowers to be his best score? Seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Does anyone else consider The Borrowers to be his best score? Seriously.

No; not even closely.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited
    The score for Prince Caspian will start recording in the next few minutes (seriously). And Dan Goldwasser, the lucky bastard that he is, is at Abbey Road! crazy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008
    Ahhh! I'm so excited!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008
    Wow. Anthony is very informed....
    I am definitely excited in this one...
    TY for the update wink!
  3. Anthony wrote
    The score for Prince Caspian will start recording in the next few minutes (seriously). And Dan Goldwasser, the lucky bastard that he is, is at Abbey Road! crazy biggrin

At last!! A recording session in the UK that's worth the trip to the UK for Dan. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    I have low expectations for this score. For two reasons. #1) Harry seems to be lazy about sequel scoring (I read a comment by him that seemed to indicate he was relieved to be able to re-use a lot of cues for Shrek 3). Reason #2: if I think it will be a bad score, I can only be pleasantly surprised if there's anything good.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008 edited
    And 3) It's not like the first score was any good to begin with so why the second would be fine? (well you never know, but this doesnt inspire me a lot of confidence)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    All I know is that I wish Narnia 3 would hurry up so we can get David Arnold on board. I still can't believe he's down for scoring this. Will we get something on an Independence Day scale? dizzy punk