• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Jerry Fielding?!?!?

Wow.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008
    He's completely loosing it. biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    No, the rest of you aren't actually LISTENING to the score without preconceived notions of how bad it is.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. I can tell how awful a score is without hearing a thing. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Scribe wrote
    No, the rest of you aren't actually LISTENING to the score without preconceived notions of how bad it is.

I didn't have any notions beforehand at all. The score arrived here suddenly and I took a listen. It's a disappointment.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Bregt wrote
    Scribe wrote

I didn't have any notions beforehand at all. The score arrived here suddenly and I took a listen. It's a disappointment.

Saying its a disappointment is one thing. That's a matter of personal opinion. Saying its a 'rehash', as many are saying, is an objective statement. One that I cannot see the truth of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Scribe wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Scribe wrote

Saying its a disappointment is one thing. That's a matter of personal opinion. Saying its a 'rehash', as many are saying, is an objective statement. One that I cannot see the truth of.

Agreed. Similar to what is said about "Transformers"... once again, I guess it's all a matter of one's opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Agreed. Similar to what is said about "Transformers"... once again, I guess it's all a matter of one's opinion.

THANK.YOU.RAVI!
    Transformers was one of the most enjoyable scores of last year. Not the most original, not the most refined, not the most complex....but highly enjoyable and developed, with many themes / subthemes and a pure sense of entertainment.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

THANK.YOU.RAVI!
    Transformers was one of the most enjoyable scores of last year. Not the most original, not the most refined, not the most complex....but highly enjoyable and developed, with many themes / subthemes and a pure sense of entertainment.

And it now costs $100 on Amazon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Scribe wrote
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

THANK.YOU.RAVI!

shocked
    I didn´t know it. That´s absurd!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    My 2 cents:
    First, I liked LLW. Most Maintitles didn't. Prince Caspian? I enjoyed it. Better than the first?
    Not quite. The one new theme (the first one on the cd) was good... but the second bordered
    KOH; too much for me. I have to give it another listen, but I haven't enjoyed it as much as the
    first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Marselus wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

THANK.YOU.RAVI!

shocked
    I didn´t know it. That´s absurd!

Yeah, it sold out a few months ago and the price has been going steadily up ever since. I find it amusing to keep track of it beacuse I didn't know when I bought it that I was buying a (probably temporary until they put it back in print) collector's item!
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    I think 'man on fire' is an underrated score. I love the short tracks and arangements, which give the score an energetic rhythm. At the end the tension goes down en the beautiful voice of Gerrard breaks trough. Narnia is a bigger and easier score to listen en has some fantastic tracks.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008 edited
    I think NARNIA is one of the lamest fantasy scores I've ever heard.

Generic and unimaginitive.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

THANK.YOU.RAVI!

Cheers, mate! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2008
    Christoph wrote
    I think 'man on fire' is an underrated score. I love the short tracks and arangements, which give the score an energetic rhythm. At the end the tension goes down en the beautiful voice of Gerrard breaks trough. Narnia is a bigger and easier score to listen en has some fantastic tracks.

Me too. I'd take Man on Fire over any of his 2 Narnia scores anyday.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    I got the Prince Caspian soundtrack, and I liked it overall, but a lot of it seemed as if Harry had said, "Well, running out of ideas. I'll just open up Sibelius and copy and paste all these sections from the first score into the second! No one will ever know!" Yeah, right. A lot of the PC soundtrack felt that way, and it wasn't just the themes that were repeated, but the themes, with all their original orchestration, original tempo, etc. If you have to choose between the two scores, go for number two, as what new themes Harry does provide sound amazing, but, overall, it feels like a walk through the previous film's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I got the Prince Caspian soundtrack, and I liked it overall, but a lot of it seemed as if Harry had said, "Well, running out of ideas. I'll just open up Sibelius and copy and paste all these sections from the first score into the second! No one will ever know!" Yeah, right. A lot of the PC soundtrack felt that way, and it wasn't just the themes that were repeated, but the themes, with all their original orchestration, original tempo, etc. If you have to choose between the two scores, go for number two, as what new themes Harry does provide sound amazing, but, overall, it feels like a walk through the previous film's score.

Having now listened to it a lot, I would say he took everything that was good from the first score, discarded everything that was bad, and added some new stuff which is better. The more I listen, the more I think it's his finest score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Having now listened to it a lot, I would say he took everything that was good from the first score, discarded everything that was bad, and added some new stuff which is better. The more I listen, the more I think it's his finest score.

True, but all the new themes that he did add were not very prominent in the soundtrack. I do like all the new stuff he added; I just wish there was more of it all. Having seen the film, the score to Prince Caspian does fit pretty nicely, though at once I realized that the soundtrack is not in any way close to complete, and is missing some of the minor themes (the theme for Reepicheep and the mice, etc.). I really do hope that they release the full score, as it appears in the film. This soundtrack just does not do the music justice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote

It is not Veronica Guerin.
    But it can be his second-best score wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I really do hope that they release the full score, as it appears in the film. This soundtrack just does not do the music justice.

I'd be in the seventh heaven of delight if they did that with some more scored including this (I've said a bit too much about this already wink ) but, ahem... *clears throat* that's at the mercy of Walt Disney Records and you know their policy about scores...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Prince Caspian his finest score? What about Veronica Guerin, or Kingdom of Heaven or Spy Game??! Jees
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Yeah, I don't think it's his finest score, since Spy Game and Kingdom of Heaven certainly share the spotlight with that ranking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    I don't really care for Veronica Guerrin. It's certainly a good dramatic score though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Prince Caspian his finest score? What about Veronica Guerin, or Kingdom of Heaven or Spy Game??! Jees

I thought Veronica Guerin was quite good, and I like Kingdom of Heaven. Wouldn't piss on Spy Game if it was burning in a fire though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, let me just say this...

HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS
    Voted by DemonStar, Hybrid Soldier 080418, Joep 080419, JoPe 080418, Martijn 080419, Thomas 080418

1st place: Chicken Run 10 points
    2nd place: Sinbad, Legend of the Seven Seas 8 points
    3rd place: Kingdom of Heaven 6 points

...Chicken Run?

I bet you didn´t see that coming... biggrin
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well, let me just say this...

HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS
    Voted by DemonStar, Hybrid Soldier 080418, Joep 080419, JoPe 080418, Martijn 080419, Thomas 080418

1st place: Chicken Run 10 points
    2nd place: Sinbad, Legend of the Seven Seas 8 points
    3rd place: Kingdom of Heaven 6 points

...Chicken Run?

I bet you didn´t see that coming... biggrin

Chicken is more Powell than HGW...

Sinbad is a real animated masterpiece score...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Chicken Run is fine but if a silly little pastiche score is voted your best, you've got problems. (Sinbad!? As in, one short theme repeated fifty times? Ugh!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, it´s in your (and about 200 other) hands to change that... biggrin

Personally, I think Sinbad is HGW´s best score if you think classic. It has much more to offer than a single theme. I must admit that I needed some listenings before getting it; now it is one of my favourites.

Anyway I wouldn´t hesitate to put KoH or Narnia before that. Sadly I had no time to vote myself since... well since I put those lists together in one topic. I guess I´ll have to invest a bit more time. wink

About Chicken Run and John Powell: I was wondering myself about that, but CR got nominated for HGW and JP seperately, and I decided to just let it happen. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    My think KoH was Harry's finest score till date anyway, though Sinbad is close too. "Battle of Kerak" is one of my most fav tracks ever wink