• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Personally, I think Sinbad is HGW´s best score if you think classic. It has much more to offer than a single theme. I must admit that I needed some listenings before getting it; now it is one of my favourites.

Totally agree. "Sinbad" is an overlooked and underrated score IMO. As Ralph says, it may take a few listens to fully appreciate it, but is a very enjoyable and well crafted score, with very good themes and great choir work ("Sirens" would be the perfect example).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. I prefer KoH too, although I think he hit Narnia spot on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    *****NARNIA 1 SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!*****

BTW did anyone listen to this unreleased cue in Narnia in the battle right after Aslan's resurrection, when Peter sees the White Witch charging towards them, there is a GREAT piece of choral music, followed shortly by action music as they rain arrows on the enemy. It sent shivers down my spine!! shocked WHY didn't they put it on the soundtrack?!?!

I found a DVD rip version of it which was titled "The Battle Rages On"... but there's so much SFX it's not enjoyable as a music cue sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008
    DemonStar wrote

BTW did anyone listen to this unreleased cue in Narnia in the battle right after Aslan's resurrection, when Peter sees the White Witch charging towards them, there is a GREAT piece of choral music, followed shortly by action music as they rain arrows on the enemy. It sent shivers down my spine!! shocked WHY didn't they put it on the soundtrack?!?!

I found a DVD rip version of it which was titled "The Battle Rages On"... but there's so much SFX it's not enjoyable as a music cue sad

It's in there. Actually it's just a replay of the middle choral section of track 12 (The Battle.)
    Give it a listen -- I'm pretty sure I'm right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    bartley wrote
    DemonStar wrote

It's in there. Actually it's just a replay of the middle choral section of track 12 (The Battle.)

Nope, it's not there. I've just given it another listen to be sure. It's unreleased... for now, anyway tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    DemonStar wrote
    bartley wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Nope, it's not there. I've just given it another listen to be sure. It's unreleased... for now, anyway tongue

I'll give it a listen. It's sad -- I listened to Prince Caspian and then watched the film... and they chopped the first minute off the score! Or maybe not-- all I know is that the beginning
    of "Caspian's Escape" is about a minute into the music of the film. Ah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    A typical Disney score release, with "cashable" pop songs tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I've uploaded the DVD RIP track here if anyone wants a listen (mind, it has quite a lot of SFX!!)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/12722558449706c6/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    DemonStar wrote
    A typical Disney score release, with "cashable" pop songs tongue

Well, sort of. Track 13 (which was actually in the film ... not just credits...)
    fit well. The rest.. yeah.
  2. HEY, I love Regina Spektor!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2008 edited
    rolleyes Ok
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    HEY, I love Regina Spektor!

I don't know anything about her, but I LOVE her song on Caspian. Like, best film song I've heard in years.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Metal Gear Solid 4 - " Metal Gear Saga "

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZWY7E2KVMTI
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Scribe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    HEY, I love Regina Spektor!

I don't know anything about her, but I LOVE her song on Caspian. Like, best film song I've heard in years.

IT was good. Fit the film very well. But i thought the singer was a little choppy. Way to metronomic
    at times.
    I'm still annoyed that some of the music didn't make the CD. There was a re-arrangment
    of track 2 of LLW which was nice to hear again ... not a sound on PC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    bartley wrote
    I'm still annoyed that some of the music didn't make the CD. There was a re-arrangment
    of track 2 of LLW which was nice to hear again ... not a sound on PC.

What else can we expect from a regular Disney score release... rolleyes
  3. This is for Demetris !

The confirmation of the MGS 4 songs' credits :

Love Theme performed by Jackie Presti, composed & orchestrated by Nobuko Toda, words by Hideo Kojima

Here's To You performed by Lisbeth Scott, written by Ennio Morricone, arranged by Harry Gregson-Williams

You were right Dem' ! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2008
    Thanks mate. The strings screamed HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS all over the place anyway wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008
    I wondered what people thought of the MGS4 score now that it is out. I just recieved my copy, lovely presentation. Shipped from Japan, so it's in Japanese, but the case is like a DVD case, lovely cover etc.

The score seems OK so far, so many people are raving about it, I think i'll keep listening to see what the fuss is about.
  4. John wrote
    I wondered what people thought of the MGS4 score now that it is out. I just recieved my copy, lovely presentation. Shipped from Japan, so it's in Japanese, but the case is like a DVD case, lovely cover etc.

The score seems OK so far, so many people are raving about it, I think i'll keep listening to see what the fuss is about.

My brother is buying it, so I could do a review of it someday, would be nice to get more game music on this site as well, I'm just hoping that with 2 Cd's the filler music is reduced to a minimum
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2008 edited
    John wrote

The score is good (I like the Gregson-Williams tracks, specially the more dramatic/epic ones, which are really really good: "Sorrow", "Father and Son", "Metal Gear Saga"). The rest is the typical action writing for synth and orchestra from Gregson Williams.
    The new theme for Snake and its variations is pretty memorable in the saga.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    That's my main gripe. Some of the HGW stuff is great, 'Guns of the Patriots', 'Father and Son', but so much of the non-HGW sounds kinda 'retro', quite typical game, filler music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    John wrote
    That's my main gripe. Some of the HGW stuff is great, 'Guns of the Patriots', 'Father and Son', but so much of the non-HGW sounds kinda 'retro', quite typical game, filler music.

Yes, the non Gregson-Williams stuff is pretty generic and nothing really interesting. I prefer to listen Harry´s material, specially the tracks we´ve mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008
    Such a shame there's so few of them though compared to the other composers' sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008 edited
    Too bad the cue from the very first trailer of MGS4 isn't anywhere to be found on the soundtrack. You know the one that had the first reveal of Old Snake, and where they played around with the letters FPS, creating different combinations so as to avoid confusion this wasn't another first-person shooter. I would love to get my hands on that music which had a nice Gregson-Williams sound to it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    I just read Clemmenson's review of Prince Caspian. He actually LIKED it. He gave it 4 stars, as much as he gave Indy IV!

The world is a very strange place sometimes shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008
    Scribe wrote
    I just read Clemmenson's review of Prince Caspian. He actually LIKED it. He gave it 4 stars, as much as he gave Indy IV!

Huh?! What?! shocked confused LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008 edited
    *****!!!!!PRINCE CASPIAN MEGA SPOILERS ALERT!!!!*****

Just saw the movie, and as usual there are once again a lot of good stuffs from the movie missing. Gotten ready for my ranting? biggrin

* The opening credits and first half of the Prince Caspian Flees sequence

* Brawl at the Station sequence, arrival to Narnia (if I remember correctly, it's totally unreleased)

* Caspian's flight through the forest with Ninambrik (?) and the badger and saving the latter from some Telmarines (great percussion)

* The whole portion of the Pevensies' travel through Narnia after Lucy is saved from a wild bear

* Caspian rallies his troops in the cave (?) and tells them he's the rightful heir

* Lucy's dream sequence (a very beautiful, long piano/woodwind driven piece, I cannot understand why they left it out. Two thumbs up to HGW on this one!! It seems to be a variation of "The Wardrobe" from Narnia LWW.

* Pevensies' first encounter with Caspian and Peter and the latter's subsequent duel (as far as I remember this was a great piece)

* The Army salutes Caspian and the Pevensies' as they arrive at Aslan's How; this featured a GREAT reprise of the theme from the first movie and reduced me nearly to tears when I saw it was unreleased.

* The full first half of the Raid On The Castle sequence (when Peter, Caspian and others actually infiltrate the Castle and take down the Telmarine guards) mostly pounding elecronics with some suspenseful music.

* Repicheep's muted trumpet theme (this really pissed me off that they didn't release it!!)

* A part of the second half of the Raid On The Castle sequence when Peter escapes on a Griffin from Miraz's castle, this featured some terrific HGW strings.

* Miraz Arrives - the Telmarine army arrives at Aslan's How before the Duel parlay scene. This is a faster, percussion-driven version of "Miraz Crowned"

* Parts of "Battle At Aslan's How" and the second half of "Door In The Air" seem to be missing, although I'm not sure.

*******!! SPOILERS END !!**********

There must be more, surely too, but these are the ones that were stuck in my head after seeing the movie. I can hear "what's on the album is bad enough" coming cheesy but IMHO the score was a fine one and should have been given a better treatment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    * The full first half of the Raid On The Castle sequence (when Peter, Caspian and others actually infiltrate the Castle and take down the Telmarine guards) mostly pounding elecronics with some suspenseful music.

I also noticed that this is missing! Really sad; that's one of my favorite parts!

DemonStar wrote
    * Repicheep's muted trumpet theme (this really pissed me off that they didn't release it!!)

Actually, the theme is hinted at once on the soundtrack, in The Door In the Air, at 1:18, and then at 1:27. Of course, this is still not what I (or we) would have really liked, which is all the muted trumpet music played throughout the night raid, but it's still something.

DemonStar wrote
    * A part of the second half of the Raid On The Castle sequence when Peter escapes on a Griffin from Miraz's castle, this featured some terrific HGW strings.

You mean Edmund? wink

DemonStar wrote
    * Miraz Arrives - the Telmarine army arrives at Aslan's How before the Duel parlay scene. This is a faster, percussion-driven version of "Miraz Crowned"

Yeah, I noticed that. I also noticed that, in the film, the first half of Miraz Crowned is split into two parts; the first, with all the evil violin stuff during the coronation, the more rhythmic statement of the Telmarine theme, as well as the choral/strings section after the crowning - and the second, another rhythmic restatement of the Telmarine theme, as the Telmarine army moves opposite Aslan's How, which culminates in big musical change, with violins, horns, and trumpets all signaling the arrival of Miraz. On the soundtrack, these two are placed side-by-side, while in the film, after the first section, the music switches to a wild French horn part. I really wish they'd release a score version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Scribe wrote

Huh?! What?! shocked confused LOL biggrin

I'm not saying it's not worth liking, I'm just saying I never EVER thought The Ultimate Original Zimmer-Basher would like it.