• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    With the current trend of video-games-turned-movies' scores, i am sure it'll be more in the vein of IRON MAN, the new animated STAR WARS score and stuff like that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Antineutrino wrote
    This movie is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, so you know that it'll look like a shitty music video with at least 397 cuts per second.
    He doesn't have complete control over that. Are you thinking of the Michael bay movies? Cause that didn't happen with the POTC Trilogy or with the National Treasures movies nor even Remember the Titans or Coyote Ugly or even Deja Vu or Crimson Tide.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    With the current trend of video-games-turned-movies' scores, i am sure it'll be more in the vein of IRON MAN, the new animated STAR WARS score and stuff like that.

Iron Man was adapted from the comics though, not from the game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know that mate but come on, you know what i mean about the current trends in this kind of movies and their scores. I really hope this will be different and actually good 'cause we all need a good score but i highly doubt it.
  1. lp wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    This movie is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, so you know that it'll look like a shitty music video with at least 397 cuts per second.
    He doesn't have complete control over that. Are you thinking of the Michael bay movies? Cause that didn't happen with the POTC Trilogy or with the National Treasures movies nor even Remember the Titans or Coyote Ugly or even Deja Vu or Crimson Tide.

True, but the style of Michael Bay/Tony Scott movies suck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Antineutrino wrote
    True, but the style of Michael Bay/Tony Scott movies suck.

I assume that you're including John Woo in this style. I don't think the style sucks. Technically speaking, their style is hard to replicate and they're extremely efficient visual dramatists. But this is too off topic now, IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    lp wrote
    This movie is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, so you know that it'll look great. I hope they'll go with the Pirates Of The Carribbean route and create a fun and epic adventure tale.

The only thing that made Pirates what it is, was Depp's delivery in the first film. Other than that the trilogy was nothing but eye-candy vfx, if you ask me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Sylvos wrote
    lp wrote
    This movie is being produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, so you know that it'll look great. I hope they'll go with the Pirates Of The Carribbean route and create a fun and epic adventure tale.

The only thing that made Pirates what it is, was Depp's delivery in the first film. Other than that the trilogy was nothing but eye-candy vfx, if you ask me.

I think it was a combination of things, the director, the story and the cast. Depp did a bang up job, but without everything to support him, it wouldn't have mattered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2008
    Speaking of myself, I liked the Pirates trilogy a lot.

But all I hope is Prince of Persia is not like the kind of adaptation Hitman got!! vomit And as long as HGW delivers a Sinbad styled score, I'm sold. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    There is much more to this story than the signing of HGW to score Prince of Persia:

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … ersia.html

http://upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … force.html

shocked

mc
  2. Damn !

And why not TR/HGW for BOTH films ? biggrin
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    Wow, lots of "good" news... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Oh gosh, no! I want a real HGW sound for PoP!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Thank heavens that didn't happen.
    I'm glad HGW dropped G-Force, the film's plot alone is ridiculous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I only hope this will be a good adaptation of the game... I wasn't impressed by any of those I saw so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Damn !

Cause then Trevor Rabin would want sole credit. :cough:Armageddon:cough:
  3. Enemy at the State which was the same year got them both credited.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. DemonStar wrote
    I only hope this will be a good adaptation of the game... I wasn't impressed by any of those I saw so far.

Silent Hill? I wouldn't call it great, but it was definitely faithful to the games. Best of a mediocre bunch.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    DreamTheater wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Silent Hill? I wouldn't call it great, but it was definitely faithful to the games. Best of a mediocre bunch.

Haven't seen that one, nor have I played the game yet. Will check 'em out, thanks! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If you have never played a SILENT HILL game, buy the latest one, turn the lights off, turn the volume up and prepare to SHIT YOUR PANTS! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    If you have never played a SILENT HILL game, buy the latest one, turn the lights off, turn the volume up and prepare to SHIT YOUR PANTS! punk

That´s exactly what I did with the first Silent Hill game for Play Station back in 1999 (yes, the pants part too). Scary, really scary. The mood and the atmosphere the game achieves is amazing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

Sounds like fun... shocked dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2008 edited
    No the best Silent Hill game is the second, followed by 3 which is essentially a sequel to 1. Silent Hill 2 stands alone in the series, but it's a shocker (gameplay and story-wise)! Number 4 left me cold. Best of all in these games is the amazing sound design, which will leave you totally dizzy crazy in a good way.

Not to stray too OT: what do you guys think about HGW's contributions for the Metal Gear Solid games: there's quite a few good tracks on the latest, but it's more restrained music, not the Armageddon-style action stuff such as on MGS2. The main theme on that one still is seriously ass kicking punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    hmm.. PoP sounds interesting...
    but I'm interested in whether HGW is doing Ridley Scott's new film...
    Nottingham. Anyone? I read something in an interview...

"I’m just looking at the first cut of Ridley Scott’s next film which I’m starting to work on now. It’s difficult for me to see the shape of it. He hasn’t even finished shooting it and I’m looking at very, very rough cuts scenes, with many scenes missing. But that lets me get an idea of what I might do."

(from http://animated-views.com/2008/harry-gr … to-narnia/)
  5. He hasn't even STARTED shooting. They postponed it for a year.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    bartley wrote
    hmm.. PoP sounds interesting...
    but I'm interested in whether HGW is doing Ridley Scott's new film...
    Nottingham. Anyone? I read something in an interview...

"I’m just looking at the first cut of Ridley Scott’s next film which I’m starting to work on now. It’s difficult for me to see the shape of it. He hasn’t even finished shooting it and I’m looking at very, very rough cuts scenes, with many scenes missing. But that lets me get an idea of what I might do."

(from http://animated-views.com/2008/harry-gr … to-narnia/)

I think that's a mistake. Harry has been working on THE TAKING OF PELHAM 1-2-3 for TONY Scott, as they've been shoting.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
  6. Yes, I thought so too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2008
    Awww. Thanks guys...
    I was really hoping he was working on this one. But, you never know... he may get that one...
  7. And Prince of Persia is postponed too !

biggrin crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2008 edited
    My review of Gregson-Williams' The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, copied and pasted right out of my score reviews blog:

" It's not much more than a walk down memory lane, but still a good score. "

The latest installment in the epic new Chronicles of Narnia film saga, Prince Caspian brings a much darker feel to C.S. Lewis' wondrous world, both visually and musically. For the score, Harry Gregson-Williams had to bring back the old themes which made The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe so popular, all the while striking up new themes for Prince Caspian and his evil uncle, Lord/King Miraz. Did he succeed in the task? The answer to that question is at times difficult for me to decide upon.

Harry Gregson-Williams has definitely retained the old themes, as a composer always should, when writing a sequel score. But what really bothers me - and most fans of film music and/or the Narnia series - is the seeming overuse of material from LWW. The whole score is filled with recurring musical statements from the first movie's score, but not just the themes are repeated; the themes are repeated, all right, but often in almost the exact same musical setting/atmosphere (e.g. sometimes same key, same orchestration, same tempo, etc.).

Most people will wholeheartedly agree that it is common for a composer to reuse major themes established in a previous film score, but far less agree that what Harry Gregson-Williams has done with the first film's music in the second film's score is commonplace. It's one thing to reuse themes; it's another to reuse them the same way.

Now, before I continue to bash the score, let me admit, it is a good score. Even though some parts make you wonder if Harry Gregson-Williams said to himself, "Well, I'm running out of ideas. I'll just copy and paste these sections from the first film's score onto the second film's score. Voila!" the score does manage to hold itself together fairly well.

Overall, the score to The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian feels like a walk down memory lane, with a lot of reappearances from the first film's score, and a few new themes written specifically for this one. Upon first hearing the OST (I purchased it the day it was released, before seeing the film), I was rather disappointed in Harry Gregson-Williams' score, as it felt like not a very good effort.

After seeing the film, my point of view has been changed completely, and I now herald the Prince Caspian score as better than the LWW score. Why? Because this score has almost everything you could want from the first score - and more. Yes, some of it feels like he copied and pasted, but believe me, this score fits perfectly with the film. A good score, and a pretty good OST. One can only hope there will sometime be a complete recordings release...