• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2007
    So...my brother is a violin teacher and one of his students, a 14-year-old girl, took a liking to me (I see her at church a lot). Given that her parents are very conservative and don't expose her to much popular entertainment, I decided I must brainwash...er...I mean gently prod her into becoming a film music fan. I began this with getting all three Pirates of the Caribbean scores, one at a time, over a period of 6 months or so, as well as exposing her to some accessible Debney and Howard music and encouraging her to pay attention to music when watching movies. After she was solidly addicted to Pirates, I then got her The New World by Horner, which is low-key enough to not bother her parents while she's doing schoolwork (she's homeschooled). Now for Christmas I'm getting her The Secret Garden by Preisner, Robots by Powell, and Joyeux Noel by Rombi. So my question is, what advice would anyone like to give as to what other composers/scores I should expose her to?

(Amusingly enough, she can already recognize the MV/RC sound...whenever she hears something by one of them she's like...is that by Zimmer or one of his students? And we were watching Mr Magorium (Desplat/Zigman) the other day and she could tell it wasn't an MV score before the opening credits were over)
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007
    I'm happy for you Matt!

Perhaps some romantic chilly scores wouldn't do much harm either. wink
    Gigli? Or Two Weeks Notice. And Love Actually, soon fitting the time of the year.

And when is the action coming in? wink
    Medal of Honor! Some Williams here and there.
    And Pearl Harbor to combine both action and romance.
    Titanic.

I'm so limited in my thinking now.

Anyway, good luck there! smile
    Kazoo
  1. Depends on her taste. Pirates of the Caribbean were there already, Gladiator might be fun for her then. And when she learns that Gladiator was earlier, her reaction may be amazing and I am so looking forward to your description of it biggrin

Titanic, Braveheart ASAP. She must learn the basic classics first, maybe some Morricone. With Zimmer tell her about everything before PotC, maybe except King Arthur, though for no particular reason people seem to love it. THe New World was loved or not? If yes - To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday. As a violin player give her scores with very distinct violin parts. Obligatory material includes: Schindler's List (depressing, I know, but amazing - tell her of the performer), The Village (as a 14-year-old she may look up to Hillary Hahn, if she thinks of a career in music, the same with Joshua Bell!). From other string works - Memoirs of a Geisha, if she likes the cello. The Last Samurai seems a good idea to me and the same for The Thin Red Line, if you manage to make her watch and love the film.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Terminator! punk

biggrin
    Seriously though: already on the right track with Robots, but i'd definitely recommend getting her Chicken Run as well. It's THE quintessential quirky fun score out there, and it's guarantueed to make her laugh. And a laughing girl is a wonder to behold.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    From Pirates... if an avid RC fan, move to something else. Like Gregson-Williams... (narnia, KoH) or Gladiator... and the more music from Gladiator. Gladiator would be good... except she may catch on the theme steal for pirates wink
  2. What I said above smile. Martijn's spot on with Chicken Run. I'd recommend AntZ too, in fact.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thanks for the comments!
    Actually after I ordered Robots I was like...wait...Chicken Run would've been better. And I'm pretty sure she'll pick up on the Gladiator/Pirates theme rip...I had another friend who was only casually interested in film scores and not a musician and even she picked up on it without me pointing it out. Good idea on the violin-based scores too, it might encourage her to work harder on the instrument itself.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    You might want to try some "lighter" scores like Sense and Sensibility, Little Princess, Little Women, Black Beauty or All the Pretty Horses in addition to more of the adventure film scores. I'd also second the recommendation for Chicken Run which is just fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    No golden age?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You started her off with an MV score? And the Pirates trilogy to boot?

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!?!

slant

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here is a copy and paste of a re-recordings topic I started at scorereviews.com. This might expand yor students film music tastes.

---

Top 10 Film Score Re-Recordings Of All Time.

No particular order... and I'm probably leaving some off the list because I haven't heard them.

- YO-YO MA PERFORMS THE MUSIC OF ENNIO MORRICONE (Ennio Morricone / Sony Classical / Ennio Morricone cond.) An absolutely brilliant album. Take the most popular cello player out there, re-arrange and re-orchestrate your music for solo cello performance and hear your music the way it has never been performed before. Familiar yet totally different. One of my favorite albums of all time.

- VERTIGO (Bernard Herrmann / Varese / Joel McNeely cond.) IMHO, the best re-recording of all time.

- IVANHOE (Miklos Rozsa / Intrada / Bruce Broughton cond.) This recording catapulted my interest of Rozsa into the stratosphere. Great sound, brilliant conducting and a wonderful performance.

- STAR WARS/CLOSE ENCOUNTERS (John Williams / RCA / Charles Gerhardt cond.) This album contains the best performance of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. The 20 minute suite would be my all time favorite re-recording if it weren't for the Vertigo recording.

- THE STAR WARS TRILOGY (John Williams / Varese / Varujan Kojian cond.) The Star Wars trilogy concert versions have never sounded better and for a while two Return of the Jedi cues were recorded that weren't available anywhere else.

- MIKLOS ROZSA CONDUCTS HIS GREAT FILM MUSIC (Miklos Rozsa / Deutsche Grammophon / Miklos Rozsa cond.) Easily the best Rozsa compilation album. He conducts his own music including brilliant performances of Diane, The Thief of Baghdad and Tess... just to name a few. Too bad this is only available on LP but the sound quality is still stellar.

- THE GREAT FANTASY ADVENTURE ALBUM (Various Artists / Telarc / Erich Kunzel cond.) Another compilation but I don't think you'll find a better re-recorded film music compilation out there. This covers everything from the Golden Age; The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad to modern day scores; Jurassic Park and stuff you thought could never be re-recorded; The Terminator. Outstanding sound quality that tests the limits of your sound system, brilliant performances and dead on conducting.

- THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (Erich Wolfgang Korngold / Marco Polo / William Stromberg cond.) Until I here Fahrenheit 451, this is the best recording from the Marco Polo/Morgan and Stromberg collaboration. We get the complete score, in brilliant stereo sound, performed by the fantastic Moscow Symphony Orchestra... what else could you possibly want?

- THE FILM SCORES (Bernard Herrmann / Sony Classical / Esa-Pekka Salonan cond.) A wonderful collection of Bernard Herrmann's best scores conducted by the master Esa-Pekka Salonan. There are two highlights - the suite from Psycho and the suite from The Taxi Driver. Wonderfully performed by the LA Philharmonic with fabulous sound quality.

- FRONTIERS (Jerry Goldsmith / Varese / Jerry Goldsmith cond.) A great compilation of Goldsmith's Sci-Fi music performed by The Royal Scottish National Orchestra. But the main reason I point out this album is for the brilliant performance of "The Enterprise" from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Rarely does a re-recording out do the original but in this instance Goldsmith has done this. The pacing, the performance, the sound quality... it all betters the original soundtrack recording. That splash of cymbals at the point when the Enterprise appears on screen has never sounded better or more powerful.

HONORABLE MENTION

THREE CHORAL SUITES (Miklos Rozsa / Telarc / Erich Kunzel) A labour of love for Erich Kunzel. Take three of the best choral film scores of all time, re-record highlights from each with The Cincinnati Pops and Mormon Tabernacle Choir, have it conducted by one of the best in the biz and what do you get... sheer bliss.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Vertigo - is that the Hitchcock?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah;

Don't take me wrong guys but i don't think that several of the (otherwise great) scores you mention above will "echo" to a 14 year old girl who's getting in touch with film music for the first time. Don't forget that we're talking about someone who was born in 1993.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah;

Don't take me wrong guys but i don't think that several of the (otherwise great) scores you mention above will "echo" to a 14 year old girl who's getting in touch with film music for the first time. Don't forget that we're talking about someone who was born in 1993.

That shouldn't matter. Just look at Yavar at MMUK. The guy is around my age but wou'd rather listen to Golden Age material than anything else.

If you want to get someone in touch with film music explore all options.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    Yeah, i don't disagree. But gradually. She will probably find herself more easily accustomed to listens that are more up to date and closer to what she's been probably listening to all this time, outside film music. That's what my experience with new listeners has showed me anyway.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    Horner's The Spitfire Grill, perhaps? Then, I tend to always recommend that score to anyone whenever I get the chance, no matter what type of score they're looking for ("You want something that sounds like Star Wars? Then you should absolutely get The Spitfire Grill!"), so perhaps you shouldn't pay attention too my suggestion that much. smile
    Cookie monster
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Andy wrote
    "You want something that sounds like Star Wars? Then you should absolutely get The Spitfire Grill!"

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You're all overlooking the obvious! This girl is taking violin lessons either because she wants to or is being asked to by her parents. Given the circumstances classical style music should not be a problem for this person at all, thus golden age music and how it has evolved would be a fun thing. Pick a Korngold from the 30's (Robin Hood), Newman's Song of Bernadette from the 40's, Herrmann's Vertigo from the 50's, etc. In otherwords create a CD with selections from each decade and then listen to the differences.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Some more "light" choices that might appeal to a young girl - Romeo and Juliet by Rota, Tom's Midnight Garden, Legends of the Fall and Hook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Katiek wrote
    Some more "light" choices that might appeal to a young girl - Romeo and Juliet by Rota, Tom's Midnight Garden, Legends of the Fall and Hook.

I don't know; it really depends on the person. If she is a big zimmer fan and RC... then you might wanna branch to something similar; if you throw her way back to Korngold (which I love!) in Robin Hood... she might lose interest: as a 16 yr. old pianist and organist... the music of soundtracks was interesting to me because of the similarities and differences to classical music: it is similar in style, but branches into more modern ideas... film scores branch the gap of time. So going way back might be a bad idea; I would stick to the present times. Maybe, again maybe, get into some Powell (Bourne Supremacy?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    bartley wrote
    Katiek wrote

I don't know; it really depends on the person. If she is a big zimmer fan and RC... then you might wanna branch to something similar; if you throw her way back to Korngold (which I love!) in Robin Hood... she might lose interest: as a 16 yr. old pianist and organist... the music of soundtracks was interesting to me because of the similarities and differences to classical music: it is similar in style, but branches into more modern ideas... film scores branch the gap of time. So going way back might be a bad idea; I would stick to the present times. Maybe, again maybe, get into some Powell (Bourne Supremacy?)

I wouldn't introduce earlier stuff than Morricone's Good the Bad and the Ugly; that might be a good choice because its a totally different style than RC's stuff... but you still get a sense of modern film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007 edited
    Maybe get into Powell? Maybe? Good lord, DEFINITELY get into Powell. shocked
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Her interest in film music, and her appreciation for some of the titles you've introduced her to already, may stem from her respect for you. It's not unusual for kids to like something because the adults they admire like it.

One possibility to help her explore some of her interests would be to try some of the top tracks from a couple of different types of scores - swashbuckling adventure, light romantic, comedy, upbeat and quietly dramatic and then talk with her about which ones she preferred and why. If she has some "favorites" you could introduce her to more scores in a similar style, while still mixing in a couple of different styles to help expand her horizons and appreciation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Steven wrote
    Maybe get into Powell? Maybe? Good lord, DEFINITELY get into Powell. shocked

Well, Bourne is definetly a big jump from Pirates... so I would not jump right in, kinda get them used to similar stuff... then give them the best (Powell) savvy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Katiek wrote
    Her interest in film music, and her appreciation for some of the titles you've introduced her to already, may stem from her respect for you. It's not unusual for kids to like something because the adults they admire like it.

One possibility to help her explore some of her interests would be to try some of the top tracks from a couple of different types of scores - swashbuckling adventure, light romantic, comedy, upbeat and quietly dramatic and then talk with her about which ones she preferred and why. If she has some "favorites" you could introduce her to more scores in a similar style, while still mixing in a couple of different styles to help expand her horizons and appreciation.

Good idea... but don't get stuck on one style; theres alot out there, so get started!
    For a very 'light' soundtrack might I reccomend Rachel Portman's Nicholas Nickleby?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I can't recommend Golden Age scores to anyone until I myself get into them...which has not happened yet.... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBrendan
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007
    I think an important thing to ask here is: are you trying to expose the girl to just film music, or are you using this brain-wash.....er....'encouragement' to make her interested in kiss as well? (sorry, I don't know what your age is...don't mean to offend or imply illegal activity tongue )

Go for the more accessible and fluffy John Williams. Everyone loves those, especially girls: Hook, E.T., Harry Potter, etc.

The classic Horner suggestions are great too: Legends of the Fall, Willow....big themes = big fun! wink

Also, do play up the violin angle: Horner's Iris, Williams' Schindler's List, Howard's The Village.

Oh, and if she likes the big sound of Pirates, then she'll love Cutthroat Island and Independence Day.

Just remember: when using the word "score" in mixed company, always make sure it's in proper context (especially if her parents are around). biggrin

-Brendan

p.s. first post - nice site guys!
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    Brendan wrote
    Just remember: when using the word "score" in mixed company, always make sure it's in proper context (especially if her parents are around). biggrin

Yeah - a few years back a fellow student of mine happened to pass by while I was surfing on Scorereviews. She just saw the site's title and immediately assumed it was a dating site biggrin
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Brendan wrote
    I think an important thing to ask here is: are you trying to expose the girl to just film music, or are you using this brain-wash.....er....'encouragement' to make her interested in kiss as well? (sorry, I don't know what your age is...don't mean to offend or imply illegal activity tongue )

Go for the more accessible and fluffy John Williams. Everyone loves those, especially girls: Hook, E.T., Harry Potter, etc.

No no no....that would definitely be illegal activity. tongue
    But if I ever find a girl of age that it wouldn't be illegal activity, the relationship is not going to go very far if she doesn't have much interest in my kind of music biggrin

ET is a good idea!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mogens wrote
    Brendan wrote

Yeah - a few years back a fellow student of mine happened to pass by while I was surfing on Scorereviews. She just saw the site's title and immediately assumed it was a dating site biggrin

It is!

You must have shown her one of Jordi's posts?! cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt