• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    Dear all,

I am really proud to open this topic on Maestro Ilaiyaraaja. Many people in the West thinks A.R.Rahman is Indian John Williams, but i say its wrong. I request you all to click the below links and it is opportunity for you to learn about his achievements in the world of film music.

http://www.raaja.com/

http://www.ilaiyaraja.com/Raja/Index.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilaiyaraaja

http://www.ilayaraja.co.in/

Have a nice day!
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    Has Ilayaraja had even a single score released to this day??

As I don't watch South films I'm not too familiar with his scores, but last month I came across a blog which offered an analysis of his film scores complete with DVD rips for reference. I listened to some of them, some were nice but sounded quite incidental to me, i.e working better on film rather than on CD. But he's a good and talented composer no doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ravi, you should know he is holding world record of most number of film compositions approximately more than 1000. Can you imagine? You should try his earlier works which is no where near to A.R.Rahman's present works. A.R.Rahman might be the Oscar and Golden Globe winner, but it doesn't make him as greatest composer of all time. To me, all these awards just to wipe their own ass. It doesn't conclude a composers' destination. In case, if Ilaiyaraaja would have worked with any Hollywood director like Danny Boyle, he would definitely won several awards. But i don't care awards, all i care about quality of music produced by certain composers. Not only me, there are many people still considers that Ilaiyaraaja better than A.R.Rahman. Yes, of course, i agree A.R.Rahman is really talented composer, but can't compare him with either Ilaiyaraaja or John Williams.

For your information, A.R.Rahman worked under Ilaiyaraaja.

Take Care! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    You misunderstood me. FYI I did not compare Ilayaraja with Rahman. I said that what I heard from Ilayaraja were nice but seemed to be a little too slavish to the onscreen visuals, rather than a standalone piece of music. But like I said, I hardly listened to any works of his because they were not released on CD. I only listened to DVD rips of "Pithamagan" and "Cheeni Kum", and of course just one or two scores are nothing to judge a composer by. He's a big name out here so certainly there's a lot more to discover. I would like if his scores were released on CD so we could listen to them the proper way; I can't stand DVD rips and all that crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Pithamagan and Cheeni Kum are latest works, but i recommend you to listen to his collaboration works director Maniratnam movies like Nayakan, Thalapathy, Anjali ( all time favorite Score and songs ) etc., in case, if you get the opportunity.

All the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    You are always WELCOME! kiss beer biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've heard OF him, of course, but I've yet to hear anything BY him. For example, I've always been curious about his NAYAKAN and ANJALI, fist and foremost, because I'm really fond of Mani Ratnam's work, especially his "political trilogy". It's interesting that Ratnam ended his collaboration with Ilaiyaraaja in favour of Rahman for those films.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor,

Actually, there was huge misunderstanding between Maniratnam and Ilaiyaraaja. During 90s, Ilaiyaraaja was at high peak and holding tremendous pressure of composing music for 7 to 8 movies per month. Just imagine, 8 movies per month was quite incredible stuff. So, Ilaiyaraaja wasn’t in position to give schedule to Maniratnam. Unfortunately, Maniratnam mistook it and he decided to hire A.R.Rahman for his next movie called “Roja”. For your information, during that period, A.R.Rahman was composing music for TV advertisements. Most of the critics and audience underrated A.R.Rahman’s talent but after the release of Roja, everybody got stunned and amazed with musical composition. Moreover, he was just 20 years old. That was great achievement by any composer. But still, many people regrets for the separation of two geniuses.

If you are really interested in Indian cinema and music, you should definitely search for Maniratnam – Ilaiyaraaja collaboration movies. All of them are true masterpieces.

Have a nice day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote
    Thor,

Actually, there was huge misunderstanding between Maniratnam and Ilaiyaraaja. During 90s, Ilaiyaraaja was at high peak and holding tremendous pressure of composing music for 7 to 8 movies per month. Just imagine, 8 movies per month was quite incredible stuff. So, Ilaiyaraaja wasn’t in position to give schedule to Maniratnam. Unfortunately, Maniratnam mistook it and he decided to hire A.R.Rahman for his next movie called “Roja”. For your information, during that period, A.R.Rahman was composing music for TV advertisements. Most of the critics and audience underrated A.R.Rahman’s talent but after the release of Roja, everybody got stunned and amazed with musical composition. Moreover, he was just 20 years old. That was great achievement by any composer. But still, many people regrets for the separation of two geniuses.

If you are really interested in Indian cinema and music, you should definitely search for Maniratnam – Ilaiyaraaja collaboration movies. All of them are true masterpieces.

Have a nice day!

Well, I'm not sure how much of a masterpiece a film score can be when you churn out two film scores a week(!), but I'll definitely check it out, yes. Could you tell me if these are mostly songs or is there what you call "background score" as well?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    Actually, in my country, people don't appreciate background score that much, that means they don't show much interest if score album released separately. In case, if you want to buy album, i say please don't do that, because in album there will be just songs. But if you want to hear both songs and score, you have no other option, just buy or rent DVD.

All the best!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    You're one of the few Indians I met (apart from me) who doesn't usually refer to film music as "background score" (I HATE it when they do that). Cheers! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    This quite natural, Ravi. If you ask any people in our country, what is film music? most of them will refer to "Songs" not background score. For your information, many people i have met here who doesn't know what is background score at all. What do you say? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009 edited
    I'm just happy they aren't incharge of film music events, or we'd be dealing with stuff like "Ubeda Background Score Conference". tongue vomit

Frankly it gets on my nerves when they call it that. As far as I'm concerned masterpieces like Lord Of The Rings score trilogy and Star Wars are light years above of what is called "background music". It's not some random little synthesized jingle put behind an ad, it's a whole complete thematically developed musical score in itself both on CD and in film! A proper film score very much a part of the film's foreground as far as I'm concerned, using the word "background" for it is an insult.

Oh, and most people apparently don't know the difference between "song" and "score" either. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    But whether you accept or not it is originally called as "background score" or "background music". It main purpose to serve the background or theme of the movies. I don't find any wrong in calling the LOTR trilogy or Star Wars as "background music" or "background score". Perhaps, we should refer it as Soundtracks. biggrin

All the best!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I disagree. It's not a question of me accepting it or not, ask anyone deeply involved with this lovely art. The main purpose of a proper score is to enhance the emotions of the visuals of the movie and not to merely accompany them. It's not some little jingle put behind some car commerical for the sake of filling space, but a whole different kind of art in itself with both technical and artistic merits. There's no such thing as a "background score", it's either a proper film score or plain background music.

"Background music" does not enhance visuals but only serves as a filler in the background. If it's just a minimalistic drone beneath the scene then I would call it "background music". Which is precisely what LoTR and Star Wars are not. As far as I'm concerned referring to gems like them as "background music" is an insult to their beauty and the hard work of the composers. The term "instrumental score" is more respectful. That's why we have things like "Film Music festival of Ghent", not "Background score festival of Ghent"!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Exactly, i agree with you. When i first bought Jurassic Park OST, one of my neighbors came to me and asked me please give me the cassette i never heard any English songs. I couldn't control my laughter and explained him that this was just background music alone. He replied to me, why do you waste money for this stupid thing?. I replied to him, for it maybe waste of money but for me its quite precious. And he called me crazy and went away. Phew! you see how people dislike score album that too John Williams' Jurassic Park. UNBELIEVABLE!

I know its because of their lack of knowledge about film scores around the world. You can't blame them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Ok Ravi!, what term you expect our people to refer this score or film music? what exact term you recommend?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Not only my friends but even my parents think I'm weird for listening to film scores only. biggrin

Well I don't care, I full enjoy every minute of my music and they can call it "background music" or whatever the hell they want, it will always remain my passion! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sunil wrote
    Ok Ravi!, what term you expect our people to refer this score or film music? what exact term you recommend?

I'd refer to music like LoTR etc as "film score" or "instrumental score". That would be more precise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    That's the spirit, my buddy! even my friends and parents calls me crazy. But i simply don't care. Till my last breath, i will listen to film scores. I don't care what this world says about me. I am very happy to see my fellow countryman who has enormous amount of passion towards film scores. Its really great. I wish one day we should meet and talk and discuss lot about film scores. What do you say? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Cheers! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sunil wrote
    Many people in the West thinks A.R.Rahman is Indian John Williams

No. The only people using such comparisons are lazy journalists who think that dumbing down information like that is the best way to reach a large audience.

To me, all these awards just to wipe their own ass.

I think it would do the topic/thread a lot of good if you just stick to the point and talk about Ilaiyaraaja (IR) rather than make such statements. AFAIK no one here equates awards with greatness. For more info gently ask Tom about Friedhofer wink

I'm amused at how quickly the comparisons between ARR and IR have come about in this thread. There's got to be some equivalent of Godwin's Law for discussions on Tamil film music (the probability of a war of words between ARR fans and IR fans in any such discussion always reaches 1)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    BhelPuri wrote
    (the probability of a war of words between ARR fans and IR fans in any such discussion always reaches 1)

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote
    I'm amused at how quickly the comparisons between ARR and IR have come about in this thread. There's got to be some equivalent of Godwin's Law for discussions on Tamil film music (the probability of a war of words between ARR fans and IR fans in any such discussion always reaches 1)

It's like Goldsmith vs. Williams in the western world, eh?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    (the probability of a war of words between ARR fans and IR fans in any such discussion always reaches 1)

Mr.Bhelpuri, my intention is not to start any war of words among anybody. I really don't like when people make comparisons between two artists. That's not fair at all. Each artist possess unique qualities. Even if you force yourself to compare, then it should be fair enough. By the way, i like both AR and IR musical composing style. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    Thor,

Did you heard of the movie called "Siraichalai" (Prison)? It was directed by Priyadarshan. This film was made in five languages including English. In case, if you say no, then i would recommend this movie for the sake of Ilayaraja's brilliant score.

All the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote
    Thor,

Did you heard of the movie called "Siraichalai" (Prison)? It was directed by Priyadarshan. This film was made in five languages including English. In case, if you say no, then i would recommend this movie for the sake of Ilayaraja's brilliant score.

All the best.

No, I haven't seen that. Thank you for the recommendation! smile I think I would like to see it in a NON-English version, though. When is it from?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Actually, the movie was originally made in Malayalam, then it was dubbed in English, Tamil, Telugu and Hindi. For further information, click below links:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0255289/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kala_Pani_(1996_film)

Below link is additional information about Cellular jail called Kalapani

http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/mar/10firstlook.htm

Below link is additional information Maestro Ilaiyaraja:

http://www.ilayaraja.co.in/abouthim.html

Have a nice day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor,

If you are looking for Ilaiyaraja's background music or score (whatever you call), i think this is nice opportunity, just below link and enjoy:

http://www.ilayaraja.co.in/bg.html

Have a nice day!