• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009 edited
    So acoustic guitar is one of my favourite musical instruments of all time, and I love its use in scores too. Recently I really liked how John Powell used it in his score to P.S I Love You, and used guitar picking in quite a lot of his other scores (including Bolt). Zimmer's Spanglish is also a good one. Anyone can recommend me other scores featuring acoustic guitar (especially proper rhythmic strumming)? Thanks! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Oh, there are lot of good ones with the guitar. You mean pizzicato, right?

I think Miya asked about this sometime back. She's probably maintaining a list.

My fave has to be Philippe Sarde's score to Dis-Moi Oui.... There's a long cue titled Cendrillon which has all the pizzicato one could ever want.

Some other works that I can think of-

BT - Catch and Release
    Hans Zimmer - MI 2 (Ethan & Nyah)
    Adrian Johnston - Friends and Crocodiles
    Jerry Goldsmith - Under Fire (Bajo Fuego)
    Ennio Morricone - a whole lot of the spaghetti western scores
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    Thanks! They have acoustic guitar strumming (with chords and all)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Yes, if i remember right. We used to have theme nights on SST. There were lots of guitar goodies we found. I'll try to add to the above whenever I recall something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Will check them out, thanks a lot! smile
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    I'm not a guitar person. Could somebody please explain the difference (if there is one) between an accousting guitar and an electric guitar?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Acoustic guitar is the regular, traditional guitar which produces sound through a hollow "sound box" (by vibration of the air inside it). You commonly hear this in classical, western and country music.

Electric guitar is what you commonly hear in most modern rock/metal music. It produces sound by being plugged into an electric amplifier, so its body is solid (sound hollow absent).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ehm....BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (Gustavo Santaolalla)?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's a good one. But I'd like something a little more upbeat. smile
  1. Jerry Goldsmith - Under Fire!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks! Looks like this is a must check-out. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here is the art work that I created for an acoustic guitar compilation that was sent to me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's a great compilation. Thanks! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Here is the art work that I created for an acoustic guitar compilation that was sent to me.

-Erik-

Martin does great compilations cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Thanks! Looks like this is a must check-out. wink

Under Fire is superb!

John Barry's UNTIL SEPTEMBER features gorgeous tracks that feature accoustic and electric guitar, a score that's far too underrated IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Yes, it's a precious little gem. Why, because of the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Looks like a nice compilation, Erik, but quite amazing that you neglected "Cavatina", probably the most famous guitar-based film music theme of all time!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Looks like a nice compilation, Erik, but quite amazing that you neglected "Cavatina", probably the most famous guitar-based film music theme of all time!

Not my compilation! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Ah yes, the theme from Deer Hunter!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    BhelPuri wrote
    Oh, there are lot of good ones with the guitar. You mean pizzicato, right?

I think Miya asked about this sometime back. She's probably maintaining a list.

I couldn't find the list right now but indeed Dis-Moi Oui was lovely. smile
    By the way is the word "pizzicato" can be used for guitars? I thought it's a term for the strings.

How about I am Sam, Ravi? It has lovely guitars like P.S. I Love You but with a bit of quirkiness.

I really adore Spanglish. I also love other guitar pieces by Zimmer, such as Swimming (instrumental version of Nothing I've Ever Known) from Spirit, two tracks on Road To El Dorado, and Iris' theme from The Holiday.

Zimmer's guitar guy Heitor Pereira wrote several good pieces by himself - many cues are on his website. I like Opening from Blind Dating. He also uploaded his non-film music works on his MySpace page and I really loved a piece called Two Kids. I hope I will get the album someday!

Also John Williams' Stepmom has some slow guitar cues, very relaxing smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  4. I Am Sam is a rather underrated score, I think, quirky, but in the end very emotional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Miya wrote

Yes, it does. Wonderful score, and brilliant playing by guitar virtuoso Christopher Parkening.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, it's a precious little gem. Why, because of the film?

Are you referring to Until September?
  5. Yes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    I couldn't find the list right now but indeed Dis-Moi Oui was lovely. smile
    By the way is the word "pizzicato" can be used for guitars? I thought it's a term for the strings.

How about I am Sam, Ravi? It has lovely guitars like P.S. I Love You but with a bit of quirkiness.

I really adore Spanglish. I also love other guitar pieces by Zimmer, such as Swimming (instrumental version of Nothing I've Ever Known) from Spirit, two tracks on Road To El Dorado, and Iris' theme from The Holiday.

Zimmer's guitar guy Heitor Pereira wrote several good pieces by himself - many cues are on his website. I like Opening from Blind Dating. He also uploaded his non-film music works on his MySpace page and I really loved a piece called Two Kids. I hope I will get the album someday!

Yup, I Am Sam is a really nice one. I'll check out Stepmom and the others, thanks! beer smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes

In that case you're right Pawel, the fact that Until September is a film that barely anyone has heard of let alone seen will have an effect on how many people would be interested in the score. Adding my tuppence worth I'd say Until September is a far more enjoyable score than Somewhere In Time and equally as beautiful, it's also a far more varied score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ah yes, the theme from Deer Hunter!

I believe I once used this as one of my TRUE / FALSE questions. Stanley Myers didn't write the theme for THE DEER HUNTER.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And I can say the Nestor albums where he plays film music are quite good.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ah yes, the theme from Deer Hunter!

I believe I once used this as one of my TRUE / FALSE questions. Stanley Myers didn't write the theme for THE DEER HUNTER.

Who did then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I always thought he did.
    listen to more classical music!