• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    Miya wrote
    By the way is the word "pizzicato" can be used for guitars? I thought it's a term for the strings.

It is. Pizzicato is not a term applicable to acoustic guitar.

I am particularly fond of the flamenco sound in Horner's Zorro scores, and of course in Rozsa's El Cid.
    Under Fire was already mentioned (and rightly so) and I think the use of guitars in All The Pretty Horses is extremely lovely and effective.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Agree. I think it would be difficult to do on the guitar (pizzicato)
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  1. Pizzicato is used for string instruments only (though technically speaking, of course also a string instrument), because you never play guitar arco (with a bow). Unless your name is Jimmy Page.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DemonStar wrote
    So acoustic guitar is one of my favourite musical instruments of all time, and I love its use in scores too. Recently I really liked how John Powell used it in his score to P.S I Love You, and used guitar picking in quite a lot of his other scores (including Bolt). Zimmer's Spanglish is also a good one. Anyone can recommend me other scores featuring acoustic guitar (especially proper rhythmic strumming)? Thanks! smile

It's not film music, but you should get Elmer Bernstein's guitar concerto. Really, you should.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Will check it out, thanks! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ah yes, the theme from Deer Hunter!

I believe I once used this as one of my TRUE / FALSE questions. Stanley Myers didn't write the theme for THE DEER HUNTER.

Who did then?

Sorry for the confusion, Stanley Myers DID write Cavatina but it wasn't written for the film The Deer Hunter.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    PawelStroinski wrote
    you never play guitar arco (with a bow). Unless your name is Jimmy Page.

Or Sigur Ros! love
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh, and how can I forget John Barry's magnificent 15 minute piece Romance For Guitar and Orchestra for the film Deadfall, an incredible acchievement.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Oh, and how can I forget John Barry's magnificent 15 minute piece Romance For Guitar and Orchestra for the film Deadfall, an incredible acchievement.

That one's wonderful.
  2. Indeed, beautiful piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Ah yes, the theme from Deer Hunter!

I believe I once used this as one of my TRUE / FALSE questions. Stanley Myers didn't write the theme for THE DEER HUNTER.

Who did then?

Sorry for the confusion, Stanley Myers DID write Cavatina but it wasn't written for the film The Deer Hunter.

You're right.

I've always been amused by the double confusion this causes among "regular folks". People believe a) that John Williams has written the piece and b) that it is the same John Williams who has written STAR WARS etc.

It never fails.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And some classical people who are fond of John Williams, the classical guitar player, might have to think the other way around.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    And some classical people who are fond of John Williams, the classical guitar player, might have to think the other way around.
    Thomas

Well, the guitarist John Williams should be happy for that! smile

I wonder what EDITOR John Williams says about all this?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. or the PRODUCER lol (he produced Shrek)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've known people who don't know who either John Williams is, yikes
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Erik Woods wrote
    Here is the art work that I created for an acoustic guitar compilation that was sent to me.

-Erik-

Great artwork Erik!
    I actually redid and remixed that compilation and I think it works better than the original mix. I took out the Delerue track and I added three cues. "Nyah" from Mission Impossible 2 and two by Carter Burwell from The Hi Low Country It works better.

If I would remix it again, I would keep the first part of the cue from All the Pretty Horses and ditch the mexican folky part at the end. I would add at its place something by Rolfe Kent from The Hunting Party which features the acoustic guitar in the quieter moments of this very good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tintin wrote
    I took out the Delerue track

Heathen! angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Tintin wrote

Heathen! angry

Inexcusable behaviour!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Thor wrote
    Looks like a nice compilation, Erik, but quite amazing that you neglected "Cavatina", probably the most famous guitar-based film music theme of all time!

"Cavatina" is from who?

There is so much music to include on a 80 minutes CD. I wanted to include Goldsmith Under Fire but really didn't fit with the over all flow of the compilation.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Tintin wrote

Heathen! angry

Inexcusable behaviour!

Yeah, I know. That was a difficult choice to sacrifice my favorite composer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Tintin wrote
    Thor wrote
    Looks like a nice compilation, Erik, but quite amazing that you neglected "Cavatina", probably the most famous guitar-based film music theme of all time!

"Cavatina" is from who?

There is so much music to include on a 80 minutes CD. I wanted to include Goldsmith Under Fire but really didn't fit with the over all flow of the compilation.

Cavatina (from The Deerhunter) and Bajo Fuego from Under Fire are probably my two favourite guitar pieces in film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's still a damn good compilation though, which I hold in high esteem, if only because it introduced me to All The Pretty Horses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    It's still a damn good compilation though, which I hold in high esteem, if only because it introduced me to All The Pretty Horses.

I am yet to become acquainted with that one. I do have the novel sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah. Apparently there's a film as well.
    Can't be bothered with either. It's about horses.
    I hate horses.
    Except for dinner.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    You must mean horseradish. wink

I fell asleep during that movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009 edited
    Tintin wrote
    You must mean horseradish. wink

I most certainly do not. There's a most excellent horsemeat butcher close to where I live.
    (Though I do love horseradish as well!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Of course it isn't about horses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, it is.
    There's horses in the title.
    It's a cook book.
    Case closed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    Martijn wrote
    It is. Pizzicato is not a term applicable to acoustic guitar.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I was under the impression that it meant plucking of the strings so I thought it applied to guitars as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    Well, it does mean plucking of the strings, but it's really only employed for bowed string instruments.