• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2009
    cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009
    For those of you interested in the London area the NFL is coming to town to play a football game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    In The Netherlands 13 people are now dead of Swine Flu.
    It's statistically not very much, but there is growing concern, as 5 of those 13 did not have a history or previous (serious) illness, but were the very picture of health before they contracted the disease.

While there is no panic, the call for innoculation is now so great that GPs are swamped (with all the backlog that entails for patients seeking regular care.

At my job so many people have now gone home with the swine flu diagnosis that they're actually considering shutting the place down for a while.

It's just a flu...but as we havemn't had a flu kill on quite this scale since 1918, I can imagine people getting a little alarmed now. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Yes, around here some hospitals have so many people with swine flu in their units that they have to cancel operations.
    I know a couple that have been diagnosed yesterday and they are quarantined at their house for 7 days.
    I think this is just beginning unfortunately. I have warned my students that if they have a hint of a fever to stay home.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    People in San Diego don't seem to be troubled by it but in Minnesota its a big deal. I won't go to emergency under any circumstances. I think I've got some sort of something now. Scratchy throat, cough, overall blah feeling, intenstinal discomfort, and a difficult time breathing sometimes but I'm not getting worse so I'm hoping with rest and fluids it will be ok.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited
    In Norway, 15 people are dead so far and 300.000 reported as infected. Which is much for a country of not even 5 million people. Currently, people are buying Tamiflu like crazy in the pharmacies and vaccination is being given to "risk groups". I'm not in a risk group, but I think I'll take the vaccine too, once it's my turn. Unless I'm already infected by then.

I'm trying my best not to get hung up in the "hysteria", though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Must admit this strain doesn't worry me much. It doesn't really seem to be a worse killer than normal flu, the vast majority of people get mild flu symptoms and recovers quickly.

That's my impression at least. I haven't looked into it enough to be any kind of expert.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    Here it's the same situation as what Martijn described. Not too many people who were previously completely healthy died of it yet (about 3-4 yet) but indeed, it's started to get worrying and past the "it's just a flu" argument which i too supported until just days ago.

I am eager to find out what the scientists have to say, how exactly these previously healthy people died off it, IF it's off it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Yeah, I thought the media was trying to manipulate us in one big collective psychosis around here but there are some real facts that are more evident this week and it is getting "serious".

Story of a young kid in Ontario, Canada:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog … e-ill.aspx
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Yes, it is serious, but so is the normal flu. Is it more serious, that's my question. With the intense coverage this new strain gets it's almost impossible not to get caught up in the frenzy. If the media were reporting on the countless individual fatalities normal flu causes, we'd all be running around thinking it was the end of the world.

The words the WHO uses are "This pandemic has been characterized, to date, by the mildness of symptoms in the overwhelming majority of patients, who usually recover, even without medical treatment, within a week of the onset of symptoms".

It's of course important to keep a close eye on the pandemic, for increased severity. But as it stands now I don't think there's a reason to worry more about it than any other flu. The world won't end before 2012 anyway.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    "Captain Trips!?" PAHHH!!! My power grows daily and I'll kick it's arse just like I will this planet when I'm emperor of the universe and everything inbetween.

I haven't decided on a date yet but I'll keep you all informed, tatty bye wave
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009
    Big pictures of the Destruction of the German Wall:
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/1 … _gone.html
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I sort of missed the fall of the wall. I was trekking in Nepal at the time and didn't find out until a few days later from some hikers who were walking in the opposite direction to me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Heard some amusing stories this morning from people who were in Berlin at the time and didn't notice. One guy said he went into work (back in the UK) a couple of days later and people flocked around him to find out what it had been like to be in Berlin when the wall came down. "Huh?" - he'd spent the whole time in his hotel and then just got a taxi back to the airport and hadn't even known anything was happening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Different kind of flu for me. But the oink/oink is serious in Minnesota. People are frightened.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I sort of missed the fall of the wall. I was trekking in Nepal at the time and didn't find out until a few days later from some hikers who were walking in the opposite direction to me.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....that's what they all say.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Different kind of flu for me. But the oink/oink is serious in Minnesota. People are frightened.
    Thomas

800.000 infected in Norway now, which constitues 17% of our entire population. Fortunately, I haven't had it yet. *knock on wood*
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

800.000 infected in Norway now, which constitues 17% of our entire population.

Really? Wow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, yeah, yeah....that's what they all say.

Still thy tongue thunderer lest thou feel mine wrath! angry

Seriously though, I remember this experience very well as only a couple of weeks before that there was the San Fransisco earthquake, I was at the begining of the trek and was talking to this couple who were from San Francisco and they had a radio and it couldn't pick up a good reception except for garbled messages about an 'earthquake', 'San Francisco', 'disaster', 'people dead'.....I'm sure you can imagine how much this freaked them out and they made they're way back to civilisation as fast as they could. Again, it was a couple of weeks before I found out that, though bad, it was nowhere near the catastrophy it had seemed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    First thing I had to do when I checked into work today was clean the cash registers and counters with clorox wipes. Several times I used the hand sanitizer solution.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009 edited
    Stavi, D. (esepcially D, as you're in the capital): how's the situation in Athens?
    It's pretty hard to gauge the seriousness of the rioting from a distance, or the validity of the outbursts of violence. Looks to me -but I might be wrong- as if extremist leftist and anarchistic elements are stirring up trouble rather than a truly legitimate people's movement.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Stavi, D. (esepcially D, as you're in the capital): how's the situation in Athens?
    It's pretty hard to gauge the seriousness of the rioting from a distance, or the validity of the outbursts of violence. Looks to me -but I might be wrong- as if extremist leftist and anarchistic elements are stirring up trouble rather than a truly legitimate people's movement.

You're absolutely right. They're taking advantage of the situation and they're gathering low-life bastards from all over europe (easten europe especially) to go on rampage and destroy hard working people's belongings, shops, car, homes. An awful situation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Strange...that situation hasn't even been mentioned in Norwegian media.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd not bother with Greece either, if i was Norway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote

Baby you are mistaken. D isn't in the capital he is in Thessaloniki. My parents house is in the capital. Anyway it's as D said. Unfortunately, the tragic event of the killing of an innocent, young boy was turned into last year's ugliness. Thank God this year things were a bit calmer.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    B..a...b.b............b....y.yy........yy?? :shatteredInThousandPieces:
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2009 edited
    The same thing I've called you a thousand times! wink kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    You, Greeks get jealous too soon!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

You're absolutely right. They're taking advantage of the situation and they're gathering low-life bastards from all over europe (easten europe especially) to go on rampage and destroy hard working people's belongings, shops, car, homes. An awful situation.

It's been in the media here. Very nasty. We're not exactly without these type of blown up incidents here in the UK either, there are idiots everywhere quick to latch on to an explosive situation and make it worse for their own small minded ends.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    In Copenhagen: Canada gets a fossile award. Boo Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYQQfZHD … _embedded#