• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Tintin wrote
    In Copenhagen: Canada gets a fossile award. Boo Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYQQfZHD … _embedded#

Typical!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Ha ha... Yes, typical south park song but in this case , it is well justified Thor. The Bitume Sands of Alberta is going to be an ecological disaster if we don't stop it. Our government is doing diddly squat about it. In fact, they are in bed with the oil companies. Dirty hands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009
    Tintin wrote
    The Bitume Sands of Alberta is going to be an ecological disaster if we don't stop it. Our government is doing diddly squat about it. In fact, they are in bed with the oil companies. Dirty hands.

slant I saw some footage of the devastation over there. Sad.

Is anyone following the Copenhague Summit? Do you care? Is it important or just bwabble?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Is anyone following the Copenhague Summit? Do you care? Is it important or just bwabble?

Whether your an alarmist or a denier (or anything in between), the Copenhague Summit is a load of self-aggrandizing (and shamefully selfindulgent) load of cobblers. No decisions are being reached that actually matter, no data is produced that is actually verifiable, no issues are addressed that actually raise questions.

The draft statement that's come out singularly focuses on CO2 production as the begin-all and end-all of all woes in the Universe, which simply isn't the case. But hey, diverting attention from proper issues like innovation and alternative energy sources, and jumping on the CO2 train will get you the votes: easy solutions for incredibly complex problems, that's the ticket!

It's a PR excercise. Not a breakthrough or a step in the right direction by any means.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I live in Copenhagen, so all the activities are kinda cool. But I don't follow it that much. My brother and his gf was at a demonstration today. I didn't want to join as I couldn't see the point. Also seemed a bit too ironic for my taste to go and protest global warming when it's freezing outside.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Whether your an alarmist or a denier (or anything in between), the Copenhague Summit is a load of self-aggrandizing (and shamefully selfindulgent) load of cobblers. No decisions are being reached that actually matter, no data is produced that is actually verifiable, no issues are addressed that actually raise questions.

The draft statement that's come out singularly focuses on CO2 production as the begin-all and end-all of all woes in the Universe, which simply isn't the case. But hey, diverting attention from proper issues like innovation and alternative energy sources, and jumping on the CO2 train will get you the votes: easy solutions for incredibly complex problems, that's the ticket!

It's a PR excercise. Not a breakthrough or a step in the right direction by any means.

I've been very disheartened by the whole thing. Britain has apparently pledged £1.5bn (as usual, more than anyone else, despite our present financial dire straits) but what on earth is the money being spent on? Somebody is making a lot of money from all this. And I guess it might just be a repackaging of previous "green money" pledged.

It's such a difficult issue. I don't envy the leaders having to sort it out (with so many of their voters being unconvinced and so many countries having their own financial problems - and of course the moral problems associated with telling India or China "yeah, sorry, you can't do what we all did a century ago") but surely they could do something!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There's no moral problem? Rather China and India are in the most enviable position that they could learn from our mistakes...but guess what? They don't want to! Nor do the ex-Soviet republics, the whole of Africa, Japan and the Middle East.

That's what is the crucial annoyance to me.
    It really doesn't matter what anyone comes up with: there is no, and never will be, any global agreement on the issue!.

Therefore all these talks are a complete and utter waste of effort.
    We're throwing good money after bad, and yet feel better about ourselves because we see our own opinions and prejudices confirmed, depending on whose "expert opinion" we listen to during the evening news.

There is *only one* solution*), and that is a singular focus with nigh limitless resources on alternative or renewable sources of energy. Anything else is just talk.

*)
    Even if you don't buy into the Climate Apocalypse Now hype, even then most of our current energy resources are finite.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (agree with Martijn. Just a bunch of very expensive money throw-aways to fool the eyes of the fools)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow. Martijn. Nice. smile

I was rather hopeful (as a naive person) for this summit, because it appeared a one time chance to work together to present a better organisation for the issue, but I've now left that thought fare. I was always in the understaning that (even when it is one hype or conspiracy, I doubt it though) doing nothing would be much worse investing in alternative energy sources and whatnot. But they're not even trying anymore. Just numbers (one kazillion favillion dollars), percentages (nagging vice (aka Europe): "And if you don't do it, then I don't either. Nah!")), and trying to be "the best in the class" or the most daring one. The fact that the USA talks about 4% is even silly.

sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

Actually I don't think that is true. Even though I haven't followed it closely, I know that there's alot of focus on alternative energy sources and innovation and getting the private sector involved.

I mostly agree with the CO2 promises being a bit overstated, because many countries end up not fulfilling their obligations anyway. They say any Copenhagen agreement won't be legally binding, so it's about making big promises and trying to hold each other on it. I don't think it's worthless, but it's certainly not worth as much as the big words and promises suggest.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    plindboe wrote

Actually I don't think that is true. Even though I haven't followed it closely, I know that there's alot of focus on alternative energy sources and innovation and getting the private sector involved.

Not in the draft statement.
    That's just about reducing CO2 levels.
    It's all about repressive action, rather than constructive action (which [cynical mode engaged] of course would be much more expensive!).

I don't think it's worthless

Let's not mince words: if it's not enforcable, it's worthless.
    Sure, I'm convinced The Netherlands and Denmark will be most cooperative (and some more Western European countries with a comparatively high standard of living), but unless we get the ex-Soviets, Japan and incredibly rapidly upcoming industrial powerhouses China and India on board on a binding agreement, nothing will change.

...Note that I leave the US out of the equation for now.
    That's because I greatly fear that aside from the countries and impediments I mentioned already, the US will prove the biggest obstacle, politically and actively (as they have been in the last fifty years: they talk a great deal, there's considerable political goodwill, there's a tremendous amount of good scientific data they provide, but at the end of the day their industry and cost of living will always win out when there's hard decisions to be made.
    Of course things might be different now -there is a strong push towards environmentalism...but then I seem to remember that from Carter and Clinton as well, without much effect in the long run.
    Let's face it: the US' history on climate control and energy efficiency has been...well...less than exemplary so far.)
  1. For me, these types of events are just showcases for the people in power to show willing - but know that it's never going to happen. (A bit like the Lib Dems promising to deliver on things they know they'll never have to deliver because they'll never get into power).

I've not really read what's gone before in detail (because, remember, I'm on my second Talisker) but the best we can do is to develop better, less damaging fuels to replace our need for oil/gas/coal, etc. Oh, and get rid of all those methane-producing animals.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Let's make a mass dinner out of them! lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Get rid of every animal that farts, that is? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Get rid of every animal that farts, that is? biggrin

That's ALL of them!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Let's make a mass dinner out of them! lick

YEAH!

Oh...the animals.
    Sorry.
    Carry on.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cannibals eh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    You're probably right, Martijn. Still, I think most politicians are trying to be realistic. An enforcable agreement would be preferable, but probably nearly impossible to get the essential countries to sign. A political agreement might not be worth much, but there is prestige in being a green nation, instead of being the black sheep of the bunch. It's probably no coincidence that a country where 20% of the energy comes from wind is the one who gets to hold the summit, and let's face it, politicians have wet dreams about this sort of stuff.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Cannibals eh?

Oh yeah. Driving me CRAZY!

plindboe wrote
    Still, I think most politicians are trying to be realistic. An enforcable agreement would be preferable, but probably nearly impossible to get the essential countries to sign. A political agreement might not be worth much, but there is prestige in being a green nation, instead of being the black sheep of the bunch. It's probably no coincidence that a country where 20% of the energy comes from wind is the one who gets to hold the summit, and let's face it, politicians have wet dreams about this sort of stuff.

But that's what irks me. Rather than a PR-powered circle-jerk with unenforcable treaties that mean diddleysquat to the actual problem, how much wetter could any politician's dream have gotten by focusing on just as lofty, but actually meaningful targets?

What we have now is a half-hearted attempt towards negative regulation ("DIMINISH! STOP! LOWER!").
    Just ONE country trying for a positive regulation ("MAKE! FIND! ENABLE!") would have made ALL the difference.
    It's as if our eyes en masse are off the ball: we're NOT trying to regulate CO2 emissions, we're trying to make sure the planet is inhabitable for a couple of million years longer!
    Human influence on CO2 MAY (or MAY NOT) be a PAR of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's all P.R mambo jumbo people, nothing ever changes so don't let them fool you. Seats of power and money are changing the asses they carry every time, but their essence and purpose always remains the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2009
    Prepare yourself of THE biggest and most important piece of news you'll ever read this year:

HERE IT IS!!! OMGZZ!!11!!!

This was actually on the BBC newsfeed. THE BBC NEWSFEED!
    I mean... for christ sake.
    rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A bit lame news wise I'll agree but I do seem to remember them reporting the break up of Peter Andre / Jordan, so no surprise really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yay
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Something of very minor interest to you all in Europe is the passing of the health bill through the Senate.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Is that a good thing, or what is it now? I always thought it was a good thing, but apparently there's so much resistance?
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    Is that a good thing, or what is it now? I always thought it was a good thing, but apparently there's so much resistance?

I think that most of the resistance is from people who are skeptical of anything that "big government" may want to provide for them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2010
    Man, that Haiti situation is some crazy shit. sad

I can't help but to think how unfair this world is when the poorest of the poorest are always the ones struck by the worst disasters of this world.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Agreed. That was very very sad and pathetic. shame
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Man, that Haiti situation is some crazy shit. sad

I can't help but to think how unfair this world is when the poorest of the poorest are always the ones struck by the worst disasters of this world.

As if that wasn't bad enough there are maniacs with machetes running around stealing food and water and looting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Trying to steal the food being provided
    listen to more classical music!