• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    Will they shift from Whiskey to Ouzo?

Actually that's a myth smile Mostly tourists drink ouzo. Greeks are always with the beer or wine these days. Ouzo is just rarely in the summer, but even then, most Greeks will drink raki or tsipouro in fact.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. I always thought raki and ouzo was basically the same? Is it not?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Anyway, Scottland stays British. That's probably for the best of all. I'm actually a bit relieved.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014
    And so we stay in a United Kingdom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Damn! sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    I always thought raki and ouzo was basically the same? Is it not?

No, not exactly. Raki is from Crete and is basically between Ouzo and Tsipouro. When it comes with anise it's closer to ouzo but when it's without anise, then it's closer to Tsipouro. And there's a variation of Raki that people drink mostly in the winter, which is warm Raki with Honey and it's exceptionally good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Good for Scots, narrow miss.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Since I am Norwegian (and with the history that we have), I was sooo rooting for Scottish independence, but oh well.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Och aye the no!

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Since I am Norwegian (and with the history that we have), I was sooo rooting for Scottish independence, but oh well.

tongue

Scotland ISN'T Norway. I'm glad to see the Scots voted with their brains more than their hearts.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

tongue

Scotland ISN'T Norway. I'm glad to see the Scots voted with their brains more than their hearts.

Very true words. Although not too sure about Scots in general 'cause percentages were pretty close. Will they stand together and united in the future?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

tongue

Meh! Brain, schmain....

FREEEEEEDOM!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote[/b]
    FREEEEEEDOM!

...said an American/ Australian racist actor once upon a time.

I wonder if Alex Salmond breathed a sigh of relief at the NO vote? Scotland would have been in trouble had they voted Yes.

For me the disappointment is never finding out if SEAN CONNERY would rush back from his tropical retirement to live in a "free" Scotland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think they would have been fine. Maybe some start-up difficulties, which always happens in such cases, but then it would be smooth sailing from there. The oil reserves, man, the OIL RESERVES!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You haven't got a clue. It would have been a catastrophic mess! Was Salmond just going to make things up as he went along? Like I said, I reckon he was secretly relieved.

Anyway, they said NO! End of.
  3. Now I want an Independent Yorkshire! punk
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Synchrotones wrote
    Now I want an Independent Yorkshire! punk

Who next? Cornwall? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    You haven't got a clue. It would have been a catastrophic mess! Was Salmond just going to make things up as he went along? Like I said, I reckon he was secretly relieved.

Anyway, they said NO! End of.

I think they would have made something work, yes, given a fair amount of time for re-structuring resources etc.

But as you say, the vote is in. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the rest.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote[/b]
    FREEEEEEDOM!

...said an American/ Australian racist actor once upon a time.

Did he not say "Sic semper tyrannis!"? wink

Er, no, I see who you mean. biggrin My wasn't Australian.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I think they would have been fine. Maybe some start-up difficulties, which always happens in such cases, but then it would be smooth sailing from there. The oil reserves, man, the OIL RESERVES!

uhm

face-palm-mt

....uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Surprisingly little support for Scottish independence here, I see.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I think it's a nice romantic notion, but realistically speaking, it's better that they stay a part of the UK. For now. Maybe in a decade or so they can come up with a better startup plan for a fledgling Scottish nation and give it another shot, but at this stage I don't think it would have been wise.

Perhaps instead of suddenly splintering off, they can "phase in" their independence by gradually severing their various ties to the rest of the UK over the course of a few years. That's just a thought, though, and I'm not sure how realistic such a manoever would be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Surprisingly little support for Scottish independence here, I see.

No, because we're not living in the fucking 16th century.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Perhaps instead of suddenly splintering off, they can "phase in" their independence by gradually severing their various ties to the rest of the UK over the course of a few years. That's just a thought, though, and I'm not sure how realistic such a manoever would be.

That's how Flanders in Belgium it is doing. More and more legislation and power is decentralized from the national government to the regional governments (Flanders and Wallony). Especially in Flanders there's a strong movement for more autonomy.

Not that I'm so happy with that because ever since they started with this in the 70ies, it certainly made everything a lot more complicated. And often I think it's just all more costly and absurd!
    Kazoo
  6. Didn't Belgium essentially have no functioning government for about six months a couple of years ago? Forget Anarchy in the UK, this was *real* anarchy in the EU!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Cyprus has recently discovered huge gas reserves as you might have heard. And we have a shitload of tourism. Still broke as fuck and under IMF. World isn't as simple my friend, not all societies and countries are the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Cyprus has recently discovered huge gas reserves as you might have heard. And we have a shitload of tourism. Still broke as fuck and under IMF. World isn't as simple my friend, not all societies and countries are the same.

I'm aware of that.

I still think independence trumps everything in terms of start-up difficulties. Then again, I'm coming from my unique historical and cultural perspective, which is very different from yours. I guess that colours what we think. In this case, I'm far more idealistic than pragmatic.

For me, as an outsider, it was a sad day when Scotland voted 'no'. But I'm not a resident, so I'm sure the Scottish 'yes' crowd feels even worse now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're living in a fantasy world, Thor. The real world is globalised, and Scottish independence would have been a step backwards.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah