• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014
    Alan, I was wondering what you think of events now the dust is starting to settle? I believe you were for a NO vote too!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2014 edited
    We can go back and forth on this issue forever. I'm sure they said our own independence was a 'fantasy world' as well back in 1814 when we separated ourselves from the Danes, or again from the Swedes in 1905, but it turned out pretty OK for a variety of reasons. I keep bringing up Norway's past again and again, because it's so relevant -- and frequently used by the 'yes' side in the campaigns. The struggle for independence is so ingrained in every Norwegian, that if you took a poll here, the overwhelming majority would be 'pro' Scottish independence.

So my cultural, historical and personal history dictates that I will always be pro Scottish independence, even now after the vote has been decided.

But again, I'm just an outsider with strong opinions on the issue. The 'yes' crowd in Scotland is the one that's REALLY feeling down now, and deservedly so. Hopefully, things will get back to normal in a few years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wales? Now there's a funny place!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Always wanted to go there.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As it's literally a 20 minute drive from me I've been there more times than I can count. It's a beautiful country, loads of ancient history, fabulous castles and monasteries ( all wrecked during Henry VIII's time Dissolution of The Monasteries ) and of course, great hiking. The capital, Cardiff is a great city, perfect for clubbing, pubbing and partying, I know the city very well. If you ever get there I'd definitely make an effort to see you.

Also, our very own Scotsman, Alan lives there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I forgot to mention that Wales has some of the best unspoilt beaches and coastlines on the planet.......just NOT the weather to go with them.

The Gower

The above pic was taken on 17th July 1976 when the sun came out wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool.

There are no direct, cheap flights to Wales from Norway, as far as I know, but maybe I could fly into an English city and then travel from there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I forgot to mention that Wales has some of the best unspoilt beaches and coastlines on the planet.......

It really does, some of the beaches are unbelievable. Here's me at Aberdovey, a few weeks ago:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … ffb7dae1e8
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (fortunately there WAS the weather to go with the beautiful beach on that day!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    (fortunately there WAS the weather to go with the beautiful beach on that day!)

love

The first time since 1976? Lucky you! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Cool.

There are no direct, cheap flights to Wales from Norway, as far as I know, but maybe I could fly into an English city and then travel from there.

Probably Birmingham would be a good start, easy access from there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There are really only cheap, direct flights to London and Newcastle from Norway. I see that you can take a train from London, which takes about 2 hours to Cardiff, but it's very expensive. I guess that's one of the reasons why I've never picked out Wales as a destination....it's kinda cumbersome to get there.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I think Norway would do much better in a Union of Great Scandinavia governed from Stockholm.

biggrin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Why I oughta.....
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Alan, I was wondering what you think of events now the dust is starting to settle? I believe you were for a NO vote too!?

Yes, I would have been a NO voter - if I had had the opportunity to vote. I do believe that I should have been given the opportunity to vote even though I don't live there anymore. And I am not sure what the relevance there is (other than geography) for non-Scots being able to vote just because they live there. Their own values may have been different from those born in Scotland - but on the other hand, non-Scottish residents may have been less likely to vote with their heart.

Although I would be a NO voter I do see myself as being Scottish first and British second. That may seem a bit unusual but I think that it hints at my main reason for being in the NO camp - the uncertainty as to whether Scotland could have maintained their level of living being independent. If the YES campaign had been able to lay out the details of how independence would have worked then I may have been tempted to vote for independence.

The world today is globalised and change has more far-reaching effects today than at any time in the past. And because of this far-reaching effect, there would be more consequences that would filter back to affect an independent Scotland. The YES campaign were at pains to point out the - as they put it - the "scaremongering" from businesses who felt that the status quo could not be maintained if Scotland separated. For example, banks would have moved a proportion of their business away from Scotland if independence would have happened. But that scaremongering was, to my mind, just businesses telling it how it was and the YES campaign put their own spin on it.

The YES campaign were just too vague about how an independent Scotland would have worked and should have been planning and negotiating months, years before the vote so that the Scottish people (and business) could understand what would happen after the vote if it was a YES. Remove the uncertainty, give the people a vision of how it would work and let the Scottish people vote with their hearts - and I think that independence would have happened. And removing the uncertainty would have helped business prepare for the changes.

A 45% YES vote from 85% of the people eligible to vote is a significant number of people. There is a strong base for an independent Scotland. That can't be ignored. The UK government has made promises to give more powers and there is an expectation by the Scottish people - all of the Scottish people - for them to deliver. How difficult it is to deliver on the promise (regardless of backbench revolts, etc) are irrelevant - Scotland expects. And if the UK government don't deliver then I don't think that that 45% YES will remain that low for long: there are many who may have voted NO because of the promise and see that as being necessary for the NO votes to remain for the Union.

I've always said that I've never felt so Scottish than when I moved away from Scotland and that's still true. But I see that now wasn't the right time to be truly independent. I think that Scotland will be independent again one day, but there needs to be more thought put into what that would mean, how it would work and how it would affect the Scottish people for it to happen.

And now there's calls for more devolution for Wales, Northern Ireland and even England. Don't get me started on that...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014
    Very well said Alan, I think I agree with most of what you said, I'll have to read it again tomorrow minus the whisky and beer I've drank. wink
  3. Timmer wrote
    Very well said Alan, I think I agree with most of what you said, I'll have to read it again tomorrow minus the whisky and beer I've drank. wink

Don't read it sober! I certainly didn't write it that way.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin drink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Then again, I'm coming from my unique historical and cultural perspective, which is very different from yours. I guess that colours what we think.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think Scotts managed to shake the UK (and the world a bit) and do take them a bit more seriously, perhaps grand them more financial privileges and power as time goes by, etc, maybe that was the aim to begin with? wink Btw Catalonia has just passed a law to grand a voting for independence as well. Fun times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So let me get it, anyone who wants attention (or more moneys) will push for independence votes now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I want attention and more money, please! Can I be independent?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    I think Scotts managed to shake the UK (and the world a bit) and do take them a bit more seriously, perhaps grand them more financial privileges and power as time goes by, etc, maybe that was the aim to begin with? wink Btw Catalonia has just passed a law to grand a voting for independence as well. Fun times.

The thing is D, our Prime Minister, David Cameron is a blowhard bag of wind and a fucking liar ( as most of these odious creeps are ), Cameron probably said all that shit to the Scots with no intention of doing anything about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think we'll see something being done and the ironic thing is that Cameron is more likely to do it than his (presumably, anyway) successor, the pathetic Ed Milliband. It would be next to impossible for Labour to do anything substantial because there is evidently now the feeling amongst the English that any further transfer of powers needs to be accompanied by an equivalent "devolution" to the English, to prevent Scottish MPs voting on purely English matters when English MPs cannot vote on purely Scottish ones - and that would make it virtually (but not entirely) impossible for Labour to pass any laws that effect England only, since it's highly unlikely they'll have a majority within the English MPs in Parliament.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2014 edited
    That's absolutely right James. My above comment should be taken with a small pinch of salt as my hatred of the Conservatives, particularly surgically lip removed Mr Punch lookeelikee Cameron and his equally out-of-touch buddies the Osbourne, the IDS and the Hague is nearly boundless. Bunch of Wankers!

Politicians? Actually I hate the whole fucking lot of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What's the difference between Will Smith and Scotland?

Independence Day.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
  4. Great Britain needs a constitutional refounding (in my incosenquential opinion): There has to be a general constitution for the Union and state constitutions for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland / Ulster. The House of Lords needs to be abolished in favour of a states council.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh, we don't do things like constitutions.