• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That was beautiful. Let's hope what he says will come to pass...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Disappointed for my daughter, Rachel, finding out today that the concert she's been looking forward to for months has been cancelled.

She's been looking forward to seeing the indie US band WALK THE MOON in Manchester tomorrow night at the Ritz for such a long time. Before she even knew where she was going to be in the country, she'd bought the tickets. And once she knew she'd be in York she'd made all the arrangements to get to Manchester.

But, today she found out that the band had cancelled their short UK & Europe tour on the back of the terrible events in Paris the other day. I am sure that the band didn't take the decision lightly, but people are always saying that you can't let the terrorists win by changing your plans and shutting yourself away "just in case".

I hope that the band haven't any plans on doing a small gig in a shopping mall or university campus back in the US. Now, that would be dangerous!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015
    Touché. smile

Unfortunately a certain amount of mass paranoia (or indeed hysteria) tends to follow such horrific events. It can't be helped. I just resign myself these days to inexplicable delays and inconveniences in daily life until we find our feet again.

Very sorry for Rachel though. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015 edited
    Me too Alan.

I'm sure this band would have cancelled back-in-the-day when American tourists were advised not to travel to England after some lethal IRA activity.

What wusses!

I agree with Martijn ( on another thread post ), if I'd booked to visit Paris I'd still be going. Fuck them all!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2015
    Speaking of hysteria: Several people I spoke to said I shouldn't go to Morocco, because several of the Paris terrorists were Moroccan. That's rubbish, of course. Morocco is quite safe. From what I understand, the Moroccan terrorists were all born and raised in the troubled Paris suburbs?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I was thinking of going to Paris sometime in mid December before this happened and if anything, I want to go now more than ever. Fuck me if I'm going to let a bunch of terrorists dictate what I do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016 edited
    Happy International Women's Day! I'm looking forward to International I have a Respiratory System Day myself -- truly something to be proud of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016
    Wow. It's been a great week (at least here in the UK) for mothers who are also women.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've decided that for 32 minutes a day, my gender is female, but I forgot to change it on International Women's Day therefore I was oppressed by patriarchal male sexuality. Please refer to me using the correct gender pronoun from now on. (I'm gender fluid, so please message me before replying so I can inform you of the proper gender pronoun you should use.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Shut up and fix my dinner.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would, but there are three females in my kitchen, and I feel a mite outnumbered... I blame the patriarchy of course.
  5. Steven wrote
    I've decided that for 32 minutes a day, my gender is female, but I forgot to change it on International Women's Day therefore I was oppressed by patriarchal male sexuality. Please refer to me using the correct gender pronoun from now on. (I'm gender fluid, so please message me before replying so I can inform you of the proper gender pronoun you should use.)

That's pretty on point...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2016 edited
    On the way to travelling to Brussels today I was reading the news on my smart phone that there was an explosion in the airport. One hour and a half later it seems Brussels is again undergoing attacks. Metro is closed, train stations are being evacuated.

Assholes.

sad

It will kill the fine spirit Brussels and Belgium as a destination had build up the past few years.
    I hope I can get home easily. I'm close to the Midi train station. I'm worried.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2016
    Public transport will likely be closed. I'd spring for a taxi.
    Hang in there, southern friends. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    13 people dead. Fuck fuck fuck.
    Museums close also.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't even know what to say anymore.
    For every "expert" that says it's nothing to do with irreconcilable religious and social hatred, another random killing proves the immediate opposite.

Killing Belgians. Because that will obviously further the cause of political Islam and stop aid and intervention in the middle-east.
    Right.
  6. This happened a few days after the principal terrorist at large from the Paris attacks was apprehended. Those monsters couldn't have picked a better moment. Because politics and citizens were experiencing some sort of calm and relief, so it was logical from their twisted point of view they would do this now. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, that immediately went through my mind as well. Smacks like retaliation (they'd probably have done it anyway, but this timing is not coincidental).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm locked in Brussels. We are not allowed to go out. angry
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Religion of piss. Kill all those religious-fanatic savages with fire.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Kill all those religious-fanatic savages with fire.

I'm not as a matter of principle adverse to this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fuck their imaginary god and fuck the death cultists, I wish severe endings for all of them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Sad news. Thoughts are with the victims and their families.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote

26 now.
    Many Dutch train stations are pretty much in lockdown now as well (I guess they're expecting several of the terrorists to escape by rail), and severely heightened security at Schiphol airport.
    IS now claimed responsibility (somehow I already surmised this was not related to anti-Euro sentiments). That makes a lot sense as little Belgium of course is instrumental in bringing about the new Islamist Caliphate. dizzy

Our prime minister said one very good thing in his speech: "there's more of us than there is of them".
    It helps subdue the anger. We ARE more, and we're BETTER.
    Doesn't mean in any way we'll turn the other cheek, or need to "understand" about poor suppressed terrorists..
    It means we will NOT live in fear, and will NOT be cowed into submission.

...which leads me to thinking. With the quite right-wing AFP gaining significant electoral success in Germany -pretty much the ONLY country ever openly willing to take on refugees- , seems to me these bombings aren't partcularly conductive towards obtaining a political goal, or a changing society.
    But then that has always been the goal of IS.
    They're not out to change the world. They're exhibiting all the signs of an apocalyptic death cult.
    They want to DESTROY the world (presuming it to be followed by a magic fairyland under the wonderful wizard of Wollah).

The very idea of talking, reasoning with these people is ultimately Chamberlainy.
    Their mindset is the very epitome of death and destruction. The very definition of anti-life.
    In all calm and reason I think there is a perfect case to be made to eradicate them. Wipe them off the face of the earth.

And in the meantime our hope for the future lies in teachers.
    Teachers teach building, thinking, striving, creating. They deliver thinkers, not destroyers.
    If there is one thing western society (in general) did wrong (and continues to do so) is skimp on facilities and salaries for teachers and schools. Their worth is beyond measure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote

26 now.
    Many Dutch train stations are pretty much in lockdown now as well (I guess they're expecting several of the terrorists to escape by rail), and severely heightened security at Schiphol airport.
    IS now claimed responsibility (somehow I already surmised this was not related to anti-Euro sentiments). That makes a lot sense as little Belgium of course is instrumental in bringing about the new Islamist Caliphate. dizzy

Our prime minister said one very good thing in his speech: "there's more of us than there is of them".
    It helps subdue the anger. We ARE more, and we're BETTER.
    Doesn't mean in any way we'll turn the other cheek, or need to "understand" about poor suppressed terrorists..
    It means we will NOT live in fear, and will NOT be cowed into submission.

...which leads me to thinking. With the quite right-wing AFP gaining significant electoral success in Germany -pretty much the ONLY country ever openly willing to take on refugees- , seems to me these bombings aren't partcularly conductive towards obtaining a political goal, or a changing society.
    But then that has always been the goal of IS.
    They're not out to change the world. They're exhibiting all the signs of an apocalyptic death cult.
    They want to DESTROY the world (presuming it to be followed by a magic fairyland under the wonderful wizard of Wollah).

The very idea of talking, reasoning with these people is ultimately Chamberlainy.
    Their mindset is the very epitome of death and destruction. The very definition of anti-life.
    In all calm and reason I think there is a perfect case to be made to eradicate them. Wipe them off the face of the earth.

And in the meantime our hope for the future lies in teachers.
    Teachers teach building, thinking, striving, creating. They deliver thinkers, not destroyers.
    If there is one thing western society (in general) did wrong (and continues to do so) is skimp on facilities and salaries for teachers and schools. Their worth is beyond measure.

Illiterate people make for the future's best religious fanatics and goat-fucking snackbars.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Martijn wrote

Imagine if the world spent as much on education as it did on military. You'd be paid to go to college!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Terrible news this morning, just as I was heading out to a press screening of BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN. A bit awkward to see all the explosions and mayhem in that film after having followed the news in the morning.

In any case, my thoughts are with all Belgians today, both the ones I know personally (it seems everyone is safe) and everyone else. A Norwegian ex-colleague of mine -- who works in the EU parliament -- was in the Metro station when the bomb went off. He was on the Norwegian news earlier today, and he is safe.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Martijn wrote

Imagine if the world spent as much on education as it did on military. You'd be paid to go to college!

I second that!

My girl friend quit teaching because she found no job that lasted for more than two months over the past 3 years (jumped from interim to interim, sometimes quite far from where she lived). It is depressing how this system is working.
    Kazoo
  9. Demetris wrote

Illiterate people make for the future's best religious fanatics and goat-fucking snackbars.

That is true. Education and a social perspective cannot always prevent people from becoming fanatics but education is our best bet.
    Still, whatever anyones social conditions may be, nothing can legitimate an atrocity like this. Religious death cult sects take full responsibility.

Volker

Oh, and I second what Bregt said about teacher's salaries. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.