• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    ...in as few words as you can possibly manage, I hasten to add.

Well, in as few as words as possible. They started to reach out to the young Muslim community when they realized that a few guys were planning to go to Syria. They reached out to one of them, apologized for a very bad situation that happened to him (being profiled and arrested led him to fail to appear on his high school finals and therefore not apply for university when he intended to), they apologized to him for that, got him counseling with a formerly radical Muslim, offered him some job opportunities... and it worked.

Since 2014 (don't remember the numbers) this guy feels a full member of the community, he feels valuable, didn't go to Syria and since this program has been adopted, the number of local Muslims joining ISIS dropped from... 14 to 2 or something along these lines.

In the same article I read (which made me research the author, print and read two of his articles on the matter, before the model was adopted independently), two social psychologists agreed that this is the way to go.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, if the EU is such a bad place Greece is welcome to trigger §50.

You vexed me as well, even if I know you meant it as a joke. But the joke is old in my opinion. But anyway, no need to discuss it further.

Demetris wrote
    And for the 20th time, i was born and raised in Cyprus, live and work in Cyprus. Not Greece, but that's not the point here.

D. honey I remember you saying that before but you lived in Greece, got your BA and Master's in Greece, worked in Greece, met and married your wife in Greece who if I remember correctly is Greek too and you are Cupriot - Greek, so in my ears separating your position sounds funny to be honest. Of course it may have to do with things and discussions in the forum that I have missed during the time I was away. Anyway, perhaps I'm getting a little strange in my old age. In my age and unmarried in Greece according to my aunts I'm practically a spinster (I'm kidding)! So don't mind me!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2016
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Steven wrote
    ...in as few words as you can possibly manage, I hasten to add.

Well, in as few as words as possible...

Excellent. That's an approach which, needless to say, I support. That's prevention; preemptive. Grassroot. Squashing the Islamist narrative before it gets a hold. My sarcastic 'love and peace' comment was aimed at well-intentioned hippies who think fluffy counter narratives have any effect on existing terrorists. There's no talking with people like ISIS and their ardent followers. The ideas that drive them require better ideas in their place; the people that act on them require bullets to the head.

Still, that is but one method. Any and all methods of prevention should be explored. Mockery and criticism is where I'm happy to place myself on that spectrum. Because, that too, is effective.
  2. The guy turned to more extremist thinking after one girl at school during a class on Islam (right after he had a religious awakening) said that basically Muslims are murderers.

Having read two texts by one of the guys who appear in the article I read, it seems that taking the radicals and starting exposing them to more peaceful quotes from Quran also made them question their radicalized approach. That was a part of a deradicalization program in one country, I may check which one if you want.

And it was as much prevention (in fact, the cops who invented the program work in the prevention division of the local police department), as it was catching the guy as he was, literally, planning his trip to Syria. A lot of reflections I shared in this subject are based on the reading I mentioned in this post.

Another food for thought. I think there is a correlation between the rise in the Islamic attacks and the rise of anti-establishment grassroot political movement, not just right-wing (Farage, Le Pen, Trump) but also left-wing (Bernie Sanders). I do not know yet, however, how and why it is so. But the potential far-right victories at least is something assholes like al-Baghdadi are looking very much forward to.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2016
    Stavroula wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, if the EU is such a bad place Greece is welcome to trigger §50.

You vexed me as well, even if I know you meant it as a joke. But the joke is old in my opinion. But anyway, no need to discuss it further.

Demetris wrote
    And for the 20th time, i was born and raised in Cyprus, live and work in Cyprus. Not Greece, but that's not the point here.

D. honey I remember you saying that before but you lived in Greece, got your BA and Master's in Greece, worked in Greece, met and married your wife in Greece who if I remember correctly is Greek too and you are Cupriot - Greek, so in my ears separating your position sounds funny to be honest. Of course it may have to do with things and discussions in the forum that I have missed during the time I was away. Anyway, perhaps I'm getting a little strange in my old age. In my age and unmarried in Greece according to my aunts I'm practically a spinster (I'm kidding)! So don't mind me!

No, not at all. You are correct at all points smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2016
    I really want to stay up and watch the election, but it's nearing 01:00 here in Norway, and I have to go to bed. Hoping to wake up to good news tomorrow morning, and not Trump victory aka End of the World as we know it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm surprised I haven't seen something about it on social media, to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have to say the whole thing has rather been overshadowed by the terrible Toblerone news earlier in the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    After the Brexit another disturbing turn in politics. Nigel Farage was there to enjoy his legacy.

I also read that 57% of the voters in Nebraska want to reinstate the death penalty. dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. I would like to apologize for the choices of my country tonight. I cannot believe we just elected that man as our president. I am absolutely astonished.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    A massive shock to wake up to. There will be 4 years of massive damage, but I'm hoping that the US (and the rest of the world) will be able to pick up the pieces afterwards. I like my post-apocalyptic movies, but I don't really like to see the premise intruding on my everyday life.

A sad, sad day. sad
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Well.

That happened.

suicide

This year suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkss!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2016 edited
    Not to be all egotistical about it (my condolences go out to all my US friends, and I'm worried -- in particular -- about what will happen to the international security the US provides), but I'm waiting for an analysis of what concrete consequences this has for my own country and our citizens. Will it be something that I feel in my everyday life (compared to previous Republican governments)?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Unlikely, Thor.
    If anything Republicans tend to focus on domestic issues.
    Visiting the States in the coming 4 years will be ...interesting, as I have no doubt that security measures (at airports and elsewhere) will in fact increase, but not having a beard or a particularly middle-eastern countenance will keep you in good stead.

For white, 30+, well educated Europeans positively nothing will change.

The one thing I could see potentially happening is an American draw on NATO, which will have a massive impact if any fires erupt in Eastern Europe again. For the rest the dollar will takea dive into next year, so any holidays you're planning, or orders you want to place at Amazon, NOW's the time. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, but I'm worried that an American draw on NATO will mean that the remaining NATO countries will have to finance more on their own, and hence higher taxation. I have a feeling that there are these small things that will also affect Norwegian everyday lives, but I'm hoping it won't be too intrusive.

But that's just my egotistical take on things. Like you say, I don't think it will affect me much -- personally.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Here's the thing: the US have steadfastily been the greatest financers of NATO, because none of the other nations were willing or able to contribute more. If the US pull out, all that will mean is that NATO will become far less of an effective, well organised force. There is no country in Europe that can or will increase taxation for international military spending. It will just not happen. It's political suicide.

The major risk is that this will help Putin in taking back control of much of Eastern Europe unopposed, so there certainly IS a ramification.

But as to any impact on day-to-day life in the west...nil. Zip. Zero.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My friend - perhaps soon to be acquaintance given how much I have to disagree with him* - posted this on his fb:

Well the last 100 years of fighting for woman's rights, various treaties, LGBT rights, equality and diversity agreements and movements fighting for freedom have pretty much just been thrown out of the window.

People love their hyperbole. dizzy

*Not that I mind disagreement. But let's just say he's of the sort that does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Might be hyperbole, but the sentiment is perfectly understandable. I don't believe Trump will be able to damage the entire 'being' of a nation's achievements in the next four years, but it will unquestionably be a matter of 'picking up the pieces' for the next, hopefully Democratic (or at least less extreme Republican) president.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    My friend - perhaps soon to be acquaintance given how much I have to disagree with him* - posted this on his fb:

Well the last 100 years of fighting for woman's rights, various treaties, LGBT rights, equality and diversity agreements and movements fighting for freedom have pretty much just been thrown out of the window.

People love their hyperbole. dizzy

*Not that I mind disagreement. But let's just say he's of the sort that does.

He's American I take it?
    Americans tend to overdramatise everything (something we -unfortunately- have come to emulate here on the Old Continent.

Grant them their handbag moment.
    Next week everything will be business as usual.

And while it will be a stagnant four years for any kind of social progress in the US (and a full stop on any judicial progress whatsoever, given the likelihood of a regressively conservative Supreme Court), I do not expect any real effect on the rest of the world other than the crunch for NATO I mentioned above.
  5. There's also the fact that Trump thinks climate change is a hoax invented by the Chinese to make American manufacturing less competitive. So between that and his heavy campaigning towards coal workers in the Appalachians I think the world can also look forward to a reversal of what little incremental progress Obama made towards renewable energy.

And don't ignore what a laughing stock Trump is around the globe ("silly Americans, only they could nominate a reality TV host"). It'll be quite a shock going from the classy, well-spoken, internationally respected Obama to this blathering buffoon. Won't help none with international relations.

Yeah, this sucks mostly for the US, but don't think it doesn't also suck for everyone else who's not named Vladimir Putin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

He's American I take it?

No. British.

I'm not sure which rights for women, aside from the issue of birth control (which has always been an issue in America), and gay rights will disappear? Is everyone a victim aside from straight, white males?
  6. Well, there's the whole "grab 'em by the pussy" thing. I can kind of, maybe? sorta? see how that doesn't paint Trump as a champion of the fairer sex.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    There's also the fact that Trump thinks climate change is a hoax invented by the Chinese to make American manufacturing less competitive. So between that and his heavy campaigning towards coal workers in the Appalachians I think the world can also look forward to a reversal of what little incremental progress Obama made towards renewable energy.

Very good point. Although I think reversal won't happen (way too complicated with legislation needing to be changed on local and state level; not just federal), for sure any progress on climate and environmental controlwill likely effectively be halted.
    Which is a serious concern, as we're running out of time for alternative options.

And don't ignore what a laughing stock Trump is around the globe ("silly Americans, only they could nominate a reality TV host").

Meh, that's what Reagan initially got as well. That'll fade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

He's American I take it?

No. British.

Crikey! shocked
    Well.
    As I said: we import FAR too much from the U.S.. Including melodramatic overreacting.

I'm not sure which rights for women, aside from the issue of birth control (which has always been an issue in America), and gay rights will disappear? Is everyone a victim aside from straight, white males?

None, of course.
    What your friend probably means is that certain expected social changes may occur slower now (which is probably true). Although I'd be a bit puzzled to even think what these expected changes should be?
    I do worry a bit about Roe vs. Wade, though. I have no clue how easy it is to overturn that. I know there are very vocal cries to do so (even if in polls -and we all know how representative and predictive THOSE are, right, gang?- seem to show the majority of the US still favours the law).
  7. Ronald Reagan isn't (so far as I know) on record making racist, sexist and ableist remarks, though. Trump sets an extremely dangerous precedent for the level of decency and integrity we ought to demand of our world leaders. Some of the stuff that has come out of his mouth over the past year or so is simply unacceptable coming from someone running for elected office IMO and should have gotten him disqualified immediately for hate speech and rabble-rousing.

Think of what kind of example that sets for the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Ronald Reagan isn't (so far as I know) on record making racist, sexist and ableist remarks, though.

No, but that wasn't the example. You said he'd be seen as aTV show host. Reagan was seen as a B-movie actor.
    The only point I made was that THAT particular qualification carries little weight and will fade.

Trump sets an extremely dangerous precedent for the level of decency and integrity we ought to demand of our world leaders.

Quite unrealistically I might add.
    In the east, known murderes are voted into office. In Italy, we've had a convicted fraud, embezzler and serial sexual cheater elected. Twice. In France, mistresses for the oresident are pretty much de rigueur. Hell, even Bill got a blowjob.
    There will be no saints running for office. Ever.

Nobody in the world is really particularly worried about his image.
    They're very worried about his policies. And future actions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    One of the annoyances for me, anyway, will be to see his ugly mug on the news in the next four years. It's not like I'll stop watching the news; I'm just not sure how much aggravation I'm willing to put on myself every time he's going to say or do something idiotic.

I had this hope that he would fade away into his business and reality show world again after this; worlds I have no interest in following.

I had the distinct displeasure of seeing Trump live on the David Letterman show on my NY trip back in 2014; what was supposed to be a unique event in my life -- a chance to see one of my favourite talk show hosts live -- was undermined by the guest this day. I had hoped that would be enough. :/
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    One of the annoyances for me, anyway, will be to see his ugly mug on the news in the next four years.

yeah