• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2017
    Yes yes . Denmark on board too now smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2017
    Peace loving turks in Europe wink

https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=0ab_1489315025
  1. Demetris, I value your knowledge of film music and all things media in general, but you have a history of such remarks and I don't know what to make of your wink emoji in this context.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Jesus Christ, the comments under that link Demetris posted just dragged my faith in humanity down a few more notches. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017 edited
    If THAT is bothering you, you should have seen the comments on the Turkish-language boards in The Netherlands (or indeed Dutch Turks on Dutch boards) or on Twitter.

Come to think of it, you should have seen the comments on Turkish TV.
    (For those less fluent in Turkish: apparently the Rotterdam police has dropped atomic bombs on peaceful protesters...I shit you not.)

Marvellously the Turkish government and media have immediately labelled The Netherlands a fascist state and a remnant of the Nazis. Really... Not to mention the veiled threats of civil unrest, or indeed war.

So yeah, my sympathy for the Turkish diaspora is rather exceedingly low at this moment in time.

That said, and to be perfectly fair, contravening Sultan Erdogan's direct orders (it was reported in several media that a phone call went out from Istanbul calling all protesters to stand their ground, gather more people and move on Rotterdam), it appears most Dutch Turks are keeping their cool and stayed at home, as only (well "only"...) 1000 Turkish amok makers felt the need to defend the "Turkish state in The Netherlands" (their words).
    So at the very least many of them aren't completely maniacally hotheaded.

Unfortunately that doesn't say anything about their sympathies, which polls continuously show to be overall squarely with the Sultan and his reign of terror.

And this raises some very serious questions about how integrated a nation we really are: these protesters, and indeed the major part of Dutch Turks -people who have lived here their whole lives! Or for for entire decades!- have an overwhelming loyalty, sympathy for a country they only visit once a year on holidays. The Sultan barks, and they obey. By choice.
    And that greatly concerns me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Indeed. About 25 % of my students are of Turkish decent and they are as decent (or not) as anyone else. I don't like to see them targeted. Although I am aware that Greek-Turkish relations are burdened for various reasons.

Volker

I understand where you're coming from Volker, but I am not that optimistic.
    I propose a little test.
    Ask your 25% Turkish students where they stand on Erdogan's current regime.
    Ask them what they think of Erdogan unilaterally, against the explicit wishes of a sovereign government and while a dialogue was still ongoing, issuing official statespeople all over the globe to manage internal Turkish affairs amongst citizens of another nation.
    Ask them what they think of the power Istanbul sways over people from Turkish descent.

If just 5% (of those 25%) see reason and condemn these actions as undemocratic, dictatorial, sheer bullying, or at the very least worrisome, I will happily apologise and revise my opinions.
    But I honestly have the gravest of doubts you'll get to that result.
    Turkish dissenters are very few and far between (and you'll more often that not find that even these are of Armenian or Kurdish descent).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017
    A time when the last few drops of political correctness left will eventually die , will come unfortunately and you will see throughout Europe why we have so many problems with them in the area. I am not talking about all the turks though but the part which is radical Islam loving and erdogan supporting lovers of dictatorship , you will realize throughout Europe what those turks really mean and hopefully it won't be too late for the already tormented Europe , then .
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote

Turkish dissenters are very few and far between

However, once you find one, they make a right noise!! love

Quick English summary: a German politician of Turkish descent has lodged a formal judicial complaint (in germany) against Erdogan for criminal incitement and hate-mongering, stating that the continuous labels of nazism and the suggestion that the Germans are the Turks' enemies are causing unrest and upheaval to such a level that it's culpable.
    You GO, girl!
    Really looking forward to that particular court case!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As for the Dutch, I'm more worried about Geert Wilders' popularity in your country.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    As for the Dutch, I'm more worried about Geert Wilders' popularity in your country.

Yeah, funnily enough Wilders has never killed anyone, or invaded another country, or performed genocide on part of its population. So forgive me if I'm REALLY not too concerned about a single politician, who has absolutely no chance of winning the election (in the sense that he'll be part of the government, although I'm sure he'll make a leap in seats in parliament. Oh, and please don't give me the standard "but Trump" speech. The American system is MASSIVELY different from ours. There simply is no comparison. It. Can. Not. Happen.).

Honestly, it is REALLY tiresome that some people STILL think that somehow the "real" threat comes from nationalism. Seriously, if Wilders gains ten seats (as he likely will), what do you THINK will happen?
    The political landscape in The Netherlands is absolutely splintered, and no one will work with him.
    (And quite rightly so: he has no economic sense of what he proposes...and that which he proposes is just general outlines. "Leave Europe". "Stop building mosques". Oneliners like these. It's unworkable, even for his staunchest fans.)

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: (again) Wilders is very clearly preparing for a very strong opposition.
    Which is a perfect role for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good to know that you have a system in place to take care of such dangerous people. But I'm very worried about the nationalist tendencies in Europe and the western world in general. Even Norway. We have a rightwing government at the present time, and while it isn't close to the popular extremist views we see elsewhere, I nonetheless notice a shift in rhetorics towards the xenophobic and rude. In fact, our very own 'integration minister' displays that on a regular basis.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    One man's xenophobia is another man's drawing of the line against barbarism.
    The pendulum ever swings.

Twenty years ago it was considered xenophobic (and indeed fascist) to speak out against "cultural" practices like female genital mutilation (in the Netherlands there was a 'don't ask don't tell' policy, and it certainly was never prosecuted!).

Now it is generally accepted as uttery unacceptable.

Twenty years ago the funding of mosques was never questioned. Matters of religion were hands-off like a hot potato.

Now it is perfectly common sense to see if there are links with known terrorist organisations or extremist religious sects.

So no, I'm not particularly worried. It's a perfectly natural reaction to the decades before.
    And in twenty-thirty years time, once things balance out some more, we'll see another shift again.
    It's just how it goes.
    When the "sixties generation" broke loose and demanded more tolerance, unilateral disarmament, acceptance of the Soviets, Pol Pot and Mao, it was generally considered "rude" as well. That's just how the establishment, the status quo looks upon changing developments.
    Plus ça change... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Pendulum or not, I only live on this planet for a set period of time, and it's my duty and obligation -- with the more left-wing political leanings that I have -- to speak out against these "trends" when they do happen. Just sitting back and accepting it as a phase doesn't do anyone any good, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Of course. As I will continue to speak out against cultural relativism, tolerance of intolerance under the guise of "inclusion", the unassailability of religion simply because it's part of a minority's culture, and other such destructive trends that are currently still mostly labeled as "progressive" (but are in fact really conservative and outdated).

Checks and balances, eh? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm frustrated that the words nazism and fascism are used so careless these days. The Sultan is really going nuts. dizzy
    Kazoo
  3. I wish there was some sort of middle line between the hysterical right saying "no mosques! no Turks! no refugees! no brown-skinned people!" and the hysterical left saying "all cultures are equal! let everybody in!". I wish we (Europe, Germany, whatever) could make it clear that while we are open to people from other cultures fleeing here if the need is truly dire, we will not tolerate extremism, genital mutilation, Sharia law or any other aspect of their culture/religion that clearly flies in the face of human rights. The price they pay to migrate here is that they have to adopt to our way of thinking and of living, not the other way around. I'm not advocating that they have to convert to Christianity or abandon Islam or anything like that, but they must be willing to integrate. Unfortunately I cannot think of a way to hold them to that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Of course there is a perfectly workable solution to deal with both the hysterical left and hysterical right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Of course. As I will continue to speak out against cultural relativism, tolerance of intolerance under the guise of "inclusion", the unassailability of religion simply because it's part of a minority's culture, and other such destructive trends that are currently still mostly labeled as "progressive" (but are in fact really conservative and outdated).

Checks and balances, eh? wink

Yes, I'm aware we're on rather opposite sides of the political spectrum, although neither of us are on either extreme.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote...

I understand where you're coming from Volker, but I am not that optimistic.
    I propose a little test.
    Ask your 25% Turkish students where they stand on Erdogan's current regime.
    Ask them what they think of Erdogan unilaterally, against the explicit wishes of a sovereign government and while a dialogue was still ongoing, issuing official statespeople all over the globe to manage internal Turkish affairs amongst citizens of another nation.
    Ask them what they think of the power Istanbul sways over people from Turkish descent.

If just 5% (of those 25%) see reason and condemn these actions as undemocratic, dictatorial, sheer bullying, or at the very least worrisome, I will happily apologise and revise my opinions.
    But I honestly have the gravest of doubts you'll get to that result.
    Turkish dissenters are very few and far between (and you'll more often that not find that even these are of Armenian or Kurdish descent).

The Turkish community in Germany is deeply divided. And the culture of civil dispute within their community is non-existent. Yet the awareness seems to grow that this referendum is not chiefly about Erdogan but about a complete restructuring of the state that will last for the foreseeable future with whoever is in power.
    There is a tendency though to view democracy as subject to negotiation. What's good for Germany might not be so good for Turkey. That's worrisome.
    There is also a tendency to keep to themselves when it comes to Turkish political affairs.
    We now have two teachers of Turkish decent in our school. (Turkish-German police officers have become rather common place.) Those academically trained teachers are regarded with awe and wonder. Especially the one who teaches ... of all things ... German literature.
    Another thing I have to admit is, that a my kind of school (Gymnasium, a grammar school so to speak) there are well integrated middle class children. In other schools teachers tell different stories.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, very recognisable. Much the same in The Netherlands.

Loved this, by the way:
    Especially the one who teaches ... of all things ... German literature.

That's pretty much the biggest 'fuck you' you could imagine in the face of both racists as well as Turkish nationalists. Excellent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    More of this Turkish love smile https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=827_1489414231
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pointless posturing. Brainwashed sheep following the wolf.

Speaking of wolf: many media noted and reported on a shitload of Grey Wolves signs during the demonstrations in The Netherlands this weekend... slant Now THAT is NOT good, if that overtly fascist organisation is comfortable enough exposing themselves.

(For those unaware, the Grey Wolves are legitimately bad news).
  5. Demetris wrote
    More of this Turkish love smile https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=827_1489414231

I believe you will find assholes in every country.
  6. There has never been a shortage of assholes anywhere, any time. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2017
    In the Netherlands, everything is still the same like on Tuesday. Except for the weather, which will be very nice today!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Best summary yet. smile
  7. Well I never thought I'd be this relieved to see a center-right guy get elected. But good to see normalcy win a small victory.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Center-right in The Netherlands is still pretty darn left wing to pretty much everyone else's standards! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Our liberals probably got a boost in votes because of the Turkish incident on the last minute. As a Greenie I am not that happy with the result but it could have been far worse. I was convinced Wilders would win big time, and I am very happy that I was wrong.

But I am not that big in politics, I like film music more :-)
  8. Ok we all know what a fucked up dick-tator Kim Jong-Un is, but I could never imagine he was such a monster like Hitler or Stalin were.

Listen to what this brave young woman says what's it's actually like living in North Korea. Luckily she was able to flee the country but she's one of the few lucky ones (scroll down to the square-shaped video to get the full speech).

Link
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.