• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010
    No we aren't!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Brits.....
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Bregt wrote
    Bach, Beethoven, ... They all sound the same.

You need wax remover Bregt if you think Bach and Beethoven sound the same.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Bregt wrote

Wax? Why would he use wax in the first place?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Bregt wrote

Wax? Why would he use wax in the first place?

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH YOU SLAAAAAG! angry vomit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sorry. Here's the antidote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Daaaamn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HAhah when i saw her, i thought "Steven". smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010 edited
    She's totally my type.

You know, female.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am sorry. Here's the antidote.

Piss off Steven....MINE!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    She's totally my type.

You know, female.

That's why i thought about you smile

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    (i don't see anyone questioning why the UK is even in the European Union)

In fact (mostly) Germany and France are questioning that all the time. And it is a matter of grave concern that the UK has not adopted the Euro...but they considered the pound to be more stable at the time, linked as it was to the dollar.

Obviously there's been the occasional second thought, but historically (and we're talking quite literally a millennium here...) the hate-love-necessity split relationship between mainland Europe and the UK remains as problematic politically as it's always been.

At this time a Realpolitik-ish approach of "can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em" seems to have been adopted, and I guess that's the best we can do for the moment.

Yes there are problems, undoubtedly, and Greece is one of them as well. But have you ever considered the amount of money countries with huge agricultural output like Spain and tourism (Spain, Greece, Italy practically hold the largest percentage of Europe's overall tourism each year) have been bringing into EU's funding treasuries? I haven't heard anyone saying a good word all these years.

That's because they actually didn't add anything to the treasuries. Quite the contrary: it's agriculture that is the biggest drain on the EU's funds: farming subsidies have been insane (which is actually France's fault: they forced the EU into basically funding their own rural areas. The south of Europe has just been along for the ride). Tourism has never done anything for the EU. That's solely a local affair, boosting local economies.

Without any judgement, it's a very simple fact (just check the figures) that it's the southern European countries that have benefitted immensely from the EU. Which is fine: I think for a viable economic union, there should be a balance in financial streams. (Not that we have that: it's a fucking shambles. But that's another discussion).

My beef with Greece is simply that they lied. Knowingly and willingly they provided wrong figures to suggest compliancy with Euro standards, while they've been failing dramatically for years.
    It's that attitude that truly threatens stability because it undermines faith in the system. Current thinking in psycho-economics (a fascinating young science that links psychological human aspects to economic developments and theories) is that this is eactly the attitude that destroys a stable market.

Yes, now some of these countries are on a hold or even in a financial decrease due to various reasons, but the first action the members of the EU would expect are parenthood and removal of incompetent governments (like ours) instead of bitching, whining and hauling over the coals.

But that's not what the EU is about: it's not a supranational government! It simply doesn't have the power or the mandate to do anything of the kind! The EU is -in many ways- a very immature and insecure federal cooperation, that still has a lot (and I mean a LOT) of issues and deficiencies (like any kind of measure to deal with rogue governments).

I have always been very much pro-EU, and remain so, because I honestly believe it is the proper way forward eventually.
    But I am realistic enough to see that we won't see any kind of proper efficiency in MY lifetime.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Woo, yeah! Go Britain! punk applause fireworks

What we talking about?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My arms gone deaf.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks Martijn!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

What we talking about?

The decline and fall of the British pound.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Thanks Martijn!

He's right if you are willing to believe that tourism and huge combined amounts of agricultural exports are doing nothing to affect the financial popularity of a currency like the Euro wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

What we talking about?

The decline and fall of the British pound.

Woo, yeah! Go Britain!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Thanks Martijn!

He's right if you are willing to believe that tourism and huge combined amounts of agricultural exports are doing nothing to affect the financial popularity of a currency like the Euro wink

It was a clear explanation of a lot of things. I've no idea about the tourism point. I don't believe it is all that locally. But I don't think it has such a huge impact?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited
    Think about this: As Martijn said, EU is not the big loving pappa, he accepts members for a reason. Now that some members are bearing problems either due to external or internal factors or even due to their own immaturity or plain stupidity, they're beating them with a stick on the head. Don't believe the hype and the overkill in the media. Of course there's problems, nobody is denying that. But at the fragile state the Euro is as we speak - but also the worldwide economy altogether, he who shall intimidate and scream on the other might eventually succeed in demolishing the other's economy completely. Survival of the Fittest, one of the most basic rules in nature.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, and yayyyyyyyy go Britain!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Thanks Martijn!

I think you may be confusing cause and effect, D. smile
    It's the Euro that's had an immense constructive effect on tourism within the Euro zone, not the other way around.

And agricultural export has nought to do with the Euro. I'm not sure why you brought that up?
    The main effect is that a unified Euro zone (with one single rate of inflation and unified prices, both of which have caused increased trade within the Euro zone by 10%!) has hugely increased stability of the Euro coin. And that is the huge advantage in an until then dollar-run world!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Spain, Italy and Greece didn't have tourism before Euro?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    A currency's stability such as the Euro, provenly depends on the state of the markets (see what happened last and this year due to market instability). If some countries' primal industry is Tourism and Agriculture, such as Italy, Spain and Greece, then it means that their market is a whole chain whose stability primarily resorts on those 2 industries. If they have stable markets, they positively affect the Euro too, since they're in the Eurozone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Now that some members are bearing problems either due to external or internal factors or even due to their own immaturity or plain stupidity, they're beating them with a stick on the head.

Wish that we could. slant
    I am massively in favour of kicking members out if they fail to meet the rigid criteria to be able to carry the Euro. These criteria are there for a reason! The Euro zone obviously should put all efforts into maintaining a "safe and stable" economic zone, but when you find that member states have been actively and deliberately sabotaging stability efforts for their own shortsighted gain, I say they've got another thing coming!

Unfortunately such a scenario was never contemplated.
    Even now, the Euro zone countries are pulling together to actually bail Greece out!
    Not because they want to...they have to, to cement the fabric of the Euro zone.

That said, it's Greece that has been dealt the the black jack now, but it might just as easily have been Spain or Portugal, who are squarely on the downside in the increasing difference within the Euro zone (between High Euro and Low Euro countries). Greece MUST be bailed out, so investors will no longer be shy in continue Euro trade. That's the way Portugal and Spain may be saved too. If the Euro zone does not pull together on this one, things might get worse to the point that we might conceivably see a proper economic schism in the Euro zone, with the North seceding...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Spain, Italy and Greece didn't have tourism before Euro?

Spain, Italy and Greece have seen an increase in tourism of about 6% since the Euro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    A currency's stability such as the Euro, provenly depends on the state of the markets (see what happened last and this year due to market instability). If some countries' primal industry is Tourism and Agriculture, such as Italy, Spain and Greece, then it means that their market is a whole chain whose stability primarily resorts on those 2 industries. If they have stable markets, they positively affect the Euro too, since they're in the Eurozone.

It's rather the opposite, D.: a stable market means little to the Euro, especially when we're talking an agricultural market which is insanely subsidized! But a stable Euro means EVERYTHING to the market, witness the increase in trade in the last ten years WITHIN the Euro zone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting that you quote a "black and white" philosophy article from English sources, which have nothing to do with the Euro in the first place. wink Nobody's guaranteeing the rise of the Euro once Greece is bailed out. Instead of focusing on the black sheep which has always been the easy solution, Europe should perform self-criticism and especially investigate those who are constantly undermining the Eurozone's stability, such as Britain to name but one. EU should look at the deep, real reasons behind the unrest and not on the what appears to be the cause in the surface.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's rather the opposite, D.: a stable market means little to the Euro, especially when we're talking an agricultural market which is insanely subsidized! But a stable Euro means EVERYTHING to the market, witness the increase in trade in the last ten years WITHIN the Euro zone.

And what led to the unrest of the Euro, in your opinion, since European markets have been nothing but stable during the last 2 years?