• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    It at least sends a message that populism isn't as popular as populists want it to be. I admit I was a scared to look at the news this morning, but am relieved to hear the good news (for once). I certainly ain't sticking around in Britain for long; Brexit can go to hell. slant

So where are you headed? Ireland, North America, continental Europe?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017
    Norway? Direction Thor? Or is it for the fjords?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep! Oslo in fact. At least that's the plan. (It's to be closer to my favourite member of the forum, of course.)

Skøl!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I understand you prefer live discussions with Thor instead.

But, wow, that's great!
    Kazoo
  2. Life's expensive up there but good old England is not much different in that regard, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Depends how much you like to drink ;-)
  3. I just saw the news. It seems like Montreal is drowning. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017
    Steven wrote
    Yep! Oslo in fact. At least that's the plan. (It's to be closer to my favourite member of the forum, of course.)

Skøl!

shocked Norway?
    Bloody, freezing, alcohol banning NORWAY?

What person in his right mind would voluntarily depart for the permafrost of the Norwegian tundras?
    What on EARTH could there be in Norway that it would entice ANYONE to emigrate there?
    It's almost as if you're being lured by the song of some beautiful, goldenlocked, stunningly figured Scandinavian sire....

Oh wait.

As you were.
    Carry on.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. He's a a real Norway man
    Sitting in his Norway land
    Making all his Norway plans for nobody.

Doesn't have a point of view
    Knew not where he was going to

Isn't he a bit like you and me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Skøl!

shocked Norway?
    Bloody, freezing, alcohol banning NORWAY?

What person in his right mind would voluntarily depart for the permafrost of the Norwegian tundras?
    What on EARTH could there be in Norway that it would entice ANYONE to emigrate there?
    It's almost as if you're being lured by the song of some beautiful, goldenlocked, stunningly figured Scandinavian sire....

Oh wait.

As you were.
    Carry on.

biggrin

Not forgetting Thor, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017 edited
    Yeah, the winters are barely tolerable, but we do have the best summers in the world, in my not so objective opinion. I really don't want to be anywhere else during the summer months (except maybe on Fur in Denmark).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Norway? Norway are you going there. You're a balder man than I thought. It's expensive, make sure you get a Bergen flight thor your journey.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. And the US continues stumbling down the road to becoming a tinpot banana republic as Trump fires the head of the FBI James Comey. In the middle of an FBI investigation of his connections to Russia. Because apparently that's legal.
  6. In a bizarre coincidence of events, FIFA did exactly the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2017
    I stopped being shocked by anything Trump does 100 days ago.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I thought I would too, but he consistently finds new and creative ways to sink even lower in my estimation. It's actually quite impressive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017
    Nope! Doesn't surprise me at all. Mr Chump is a man-child who continually throws tantrums. I don't believe he'll be around much longer.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017
    Neither do I...however I do agree with Hasan Minhaj in yesterday's The Daily Show that it may be time to stop mocking Trump (however hard that is. The man is a walking invitation to mockery).
    What is happening on every singly level of his presidency is FAR too serious to make light of.
    It's time to properly go on the offense. We need a Woodward & Bernstein in this age to step forward.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017 edited
    Yes, I'm a bit disappointed that the "system" in the US hasn't been able to take care of his outlandish shenanigans so far. Or, as you say, that we haven't had Woodward & Bernstein-type journalists to step up.

Then again, the real-life situation has far surpassed HOUSE OF CARDS at this point, so I can only imagine what's been going on behind the scenes to prevent any radical opposition.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I can see two scenarios:
    1. Trump does something so outrageous that even moderate Republicans turn against him.
    2. His popular base gets disillusioned enough to keep them from voting in the mid-term elections, thus giving Democrats control over the Congress.

In both cases an offended Trump may loose interest in his toys.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017 edited
    It is fascinating. I sometimes check that Breitbart website, but not too much because it causes headaches, but what is written there, is amazing.

The worst thing is now that dictators all over the world are laughing with all of his adventures, and will use it against any progress asked in their own country. Unless the "checks and balances" are doing their job, but as usual, those are slow.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    one never knows where they will strike next
    listen to more classical music!
  9. LSH wrote
    What a fucking world we live in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma … r-40008389

it's just horrible. I just read the youngest victim (so far) is 8. Fucking 8 years young sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    #notallmuslims
    #prayformanchester
    "We stand shoulder to shoulder with..."
    "This cowardly act will not..."

ENOUGH.

Fucking do something about it. This is too much. A concert full of little girls, for God's sake. Incomprehensible depravity. These medieval, backwards bastards need wiping off the face of the planet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Until people are able to differentiate between Muslim and Islam, people and ideas, the Not All Muslims trope will be around for a long time. To them, either Islam is evil or it is not - and by extension Muslims. They cannot separate the two.

It's wrong to call all Muslims evil, therefore, Islam is just fine. Any atrocity committed by a Muslim is not committed by a 'true' Muslim, and don't follow 'true' Islam. They've just misunderstood it. Just your generic psychopath, perhaps another marginalised Muslim. But certainly not a Muslim acting on specific Islamic beliefs and Islamic authority.

Our first act of solidarity is to recognise that, indeed, this does not represent all Muslims. How virtuous we are.

To those morons incapable of a toddler's level of logic and reasoning, no of course it doesn't bloody represent all Muslims. But it sure as hell represents a popular-enough and virulent strain of Islam, you fuckwits. And the virus comes in other forms too, perhaps less violent, but equally as insidious. We have to start making it okay to say this. We won't be able to understand and defeat the fucking problem until it's okay to say "Yes, this murderer was acting on Islamic doctrines. He was a Muslim."

#Whataboutthecrusades
    #MyMuslimFriendIsAwesome
    #YoureABigot
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think I'm more worked up by this one because it specifically targeted children. And I see more posts on my social media feeds about the horror of Islamaphobia than I do about the horrors of terrorism. Really, the best thing to do is not to "carry on as normal" as the Guardian and the Independent and the politicians all say, it's to start fighting back. This is not and should never be "normal" - it's barbaric and unacceptable.
  10. I actually think the problem is in the people, rather than the ideas. The thing is that it's really hard to chase them, because it works like a goddamn hydra (cut a head, three will grow back).

I do agree things have to be named properly, but I think it should be a systemic solution rather than reactionary. This shit has been going on for years now. And we only react. It's not just how these things are planned, especially now with the lone wolf attacks. These guys get constant new blood, people who are willing to do that stuff. There is constant brainwashing going on.

Nobody actually tries to deal with the rhetoric, with the reasons for the influx of (young!) people to all these movements. We can take people out. We can blame whatever we want for this. But whether we blame Muslims or Islam, right now will not bring up any potential solutions. I mean, there are Muslims saying yes, there is an Islam strain like that and we should reform, but I wish them any success with that.

Where is intelligence when we need it? And yes, too, I'm looking at you, Mossad.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. I fully understand your sentiment James, yet I'm afraid even a total military defeat of ISIS would no stop these terrorist attacks.

sad Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2017
    No matter what we do or say it will continue. They hate us. We can't really stop all of it.
    listen to more classical music!