• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017
    Martijn wrote
    Indeed. I have never really understood the notion that somehow everything in the world is a reaction to or fault of (action or inaction of) the West. We tend to *greatly* overestimate our influence! The Middle East, as history shows, is PERFECTLY capable of making a massive bloody mess of their history themselves.

No, my reasoning is MUCH simpler: follow the money.
    Pretty much all extremist Islamic terrorism is Saudi funded. If not directly, then through funding the building of mosques and sending out wahhabi imams to preach there and laying the groundwork. There is a VERY strong zealotous need throughout wahhabism to evangelise the world and bring it under the word of the Quran.

So should that money well dry up, then there pretty much is only Afghanistan heroin left...and that serves mostly to fund the lavish lifestyle of Taliban warlords who-for all their despicable and horrifying violence committed in the name of piety- have absolutely NO interest in missionary work.

Yep.
  1. Martijn wrote
    Funny then that they should kill German Christmas market visitors, or French cartoon writers, or Belgian commuters, or UK children if they're so US-hating... We must all look alike to them...

Okay, so I should have said "West-hating". It does indeed not seem to make much of a difference to them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No amount of drone striking would cause a secular society to retaliate with the style of violence we see from Islamists though. We know this is true since there are examples of oppresion and imperialism against non-Islamic countries that, funnily enough, don't retiliate with beheadings and suicide bombings. Ideas -where they come from and those who believe in them- matter. They say it quite plainly and loudly: Paradise is real, martydom gets you there, and jihad is the way to achieve it. The West may have its crimes, which Islamists largely use as a matter of convenience, but they are the exception, not the rule. The opposite is true where Islamist ideology is concerned.
  2. Martijn wrote
    Indeed. I have never really understood the notion that somehow everything in the world is a reaction to or fault of (action or inaction of) the West. We tend to *greatly* overestimate our influence! The Middle East, as history shows, is PERFECTLY capable of making a massive bloody mess of their history themselves.

No, my reasoning is MUCH simpler: follow the money.
    Pretty much all extremist Islamic terrorism is Saudi funded. If not directly, then through funding the building of mosques and sending out wahhabi imams to preach there and laying the groundwork. There is a VERY strong zealotous need throughout wahhabism to evangelise the world and bring it under the word of the Quran.

So should that money well dry up, then there pretty much is only Afghanistan heroin left...and that serves mostly to fund the lavish lifestyle of Taliban warlords who-for all their despicable and horrifying violence committed in the name of piety- have absolutely NO interest in missionary work.

Heroin's pretty easy to destroy, isn't it? Essentially burn the shit out of the field (love the smell of napalm in the mornin').

The fucking oil pisses the shit out of me, really, as the real way to battle this crap with insider help is to change the main ally in the region. No, not the Saudis. There are two states that openly endorse Israel's existence, which have quite good military and/or intelligence and are pretty much willing to eradicate stuff like IS.

The main allies in the region should be the triumvirate of Israel, Jordan and Egypt.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Steven wrote
    No amount of drone striking would cause a secular society to retaliate with the style of violence we see from Islamists though. We know this is true since there are examples of oppresion and imperialism against non-Islamic countries that, funnily enough, don't retiliate with beheadings and suicide bombings. Ideas -where they come from and those who believe in them- matter. They say it quite plainly and loudly: Paradise is real, martydom gets you there, and jihad is the way to achieve it. The West may have its crimes, which Islamists largely use as a matter of convenience, but they are the exception, not the rule. The opposite is true where Islamist ideology is concerned.

We're talking about recruitment issues. Drone strikes definitely make people more lenient for that kind of propaganda.

You probably dislike the very popular (in fact trendy, if there's any) word recently, narrative. We're at a war of symbols as well. That's one of the reasons why some consider France is attacked so regularly. And yes, offending these particular groups is DEFINITELY the way to go. If that features being biased in terms of sending financial aid to certain places (aka, helping only those, whcih don't bring terrorists about, etc.), I'm all for it.
  4. The USA is a mere extension of crusading Europe in their view. The Arab radicals regard the EU as an incarnation of the Holy Roman Empire, the historic arch enemy.
    And one shouldn't forget the British betrayal of the Arab tribes following World War I. Also the Arabs still hold support of the Zionist settlement movement and its military empowerment against the British.
    Not that that would excuse any atrocities or vindicate religious totalitarianism.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Funny then that they should kill German Christmas market visitors, or French cartoon writers, or Belgian commuters, or UK children if they're so US-hating... We must all look alike to them...

Okay, so I should have said "West-hating". It does indeed not seem to make much of a difference to them.

True, but not because of interference.
    There's a story going 'round, which was told me by a Dutch vet who did three tours in Afghanistan, about a soldier she met fresh from a tour in Iraq.
    That already tells you it must almost certainly be apocryphal, but still it is pretty indicative for the frame of mind:

"I was at the barber's in Basrah, and, as you do, got talking about the political and military situation.
    The barber lamented that everything was worse now that the West had invaded. "Life is terrible, there is no money to be made, there is no fresh food. It's horrible. Coming here is the absolute worst the West has ever done to us!"
    Whereupon I asked the barber whether it would have been better had we stayed away and not interfered.
    The barber reacted shocked as if scandalised. "By the Prophet's beard, NO! THAT would have been the VERY worst thing the West would have ever done to us!"

Again: do not overestimate the West's role -passively or actively- in this ever ongoing conflict
    We're just an agent in a culture of shame and blame-appointing for the aggression and violence that is very much at the root of this region.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    cultures and players have changed but we're still fighting
    listen to more classical music!
  5. So now he wants to take the US out of the Paris Agreement...Speaking for myself and my generation who has to live on this planet for about half a century longer than you will, go fuck yourself, Trump. slant
  6. The guy is completely incapable of making the right decisions in the long term. He only cares about what he can do in those 4 years in office. And how his ego will not even crack after all the criticism he gets. He truly believes he is a better man than most. That is what is so scary. I feel this is not the last idiotic decision for America by trump. slant
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. They'll need a boat to reach Trump Tower.

slant Volker
  8. That's why he built that tower. He'll be high and dry when he's 80, all set to enjoy the rest of his life along with his new young wife. By then Melania will have drowned, along with thousands of others. That is what I predict. I hope it doesn't come to pass though.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    He only cares about what he can do in those 4 years in office.

At the rate the scandals surrounding him are going, he won't make it that far, thank God. Not that I cherish the idea of a President Pence (or Ryan), but at the very least he'd be competent...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017
    yeah
    Exactly that.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Another attack in London. Utterly violent attacks by 3 jihadist pricks. Once again the words "this is for allah" were uttered.

Religion is humanity's worst invention. vomit
  11. Religion is not an invention. It's a cultural extrapolation of the condition humaine. We will never be able to completely overcome that paranoia. We have to learn to contain an civilize it.

Volker
  12. It's a cultural extrapolation of the condition humaine?

Thanks for that - it made me laugh out loud. At some point it was an invention, perhaps to fill some sort of void in previous cultures. Religion has a place but this hasn't anything to do with religion but religion is being used as an excuse by these people.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Religion has a place but this hasn't anything to do with religion but religion is being used as an excuse by these people.

Agreed completely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thirded!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017 edited
    BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Religion has a place but this hasn't anything to do with religion but religion is being used as an excuse by these people.

Agreed completely.

Disagree completely. Islam is a complex religion -- more than that, it's a political religion. At least potentially. These actions are driven by the ideology coming from a very legitimate version of political Islam; Islamism. These attacks may not represent Muslims, but it does represent Islam. These terrorists are Muslims. That is the point people still seem to go out of their way not to absorb, whether not to offend the average Muslim or simply to absolve all religion from blame. (Religion isn't a helpful word since it covers too many things. Better to differentiate specific beliefs and ideologies with words like Islam, Islamism, jihadist, etc.)

But of course this point will continue to be missed, and those who refuse to admit it will read it as me saying "Religion is to blame for everything! Muslims are all evil!"

rolleyes
  13. Tell me of a religious thought that isn't or at some point wasn't political though. Buddhism mostly, but Far Eastern thought develops the opposite way to Western (as in, philosophy branched out of religion. In the Middle East religion branches out of philosophy, as happened with Confucianism and Taoism... Buddhism similarly - started out as philosophy).

There is however one thing that has to be mentioned. To whom is Islamism considered as legitimate? To Muslims, obviously, but isn't the point we should make in the West that we delegitimize Islamism in our culture? Shouldn't that be our focus on the symbolic (and obviously not just political, but, especially, law enforcement) front?

Good point to make is one you do here and I've been trying to even teach people about: Not all Muslims are Islamists. Not all Islamists are Jihadist (but can have a radical branch, as seen by the relationship between the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas). The problem is that when it comes to action, the differentiation is not taken into account at all. The point that all Muslims are like that is something that IS or whoever is responsible for any kind of attack (potentially Al-Qaeda, though its operational power has been reduced only to the Middle East right now) wants to instill in us. It's not just fear politics as the term terrorism itself is defined as. It's the fact that on the local front any kind of reaction can be framed as an attack on Islam itself. Especially the completely indiscriminate airstrikes Trump tends to happily send all over to Mosul.

The reason why we are losing the symbolic war out there (war for the souls, if you want to sound poetic) is that are deaf to their language. Whatever nuance we can have in any kind of discussion on contact is lost in translation, because we all think that everyone should understand our values. That's not true. We can teach our values and whatever we want if we actually learn to speak their language and sometimes even, yes, adhere to that culture. Hell, anyone heard of the Jesuits in the 16th century?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But of course this point will continue to be missed, and those who refuse to admit it will read it as me saying "Religion is to blame for everything! Muslims are all evil!"

Well, you're kinda setting that up yourself, aren't you, with statements such as "These attacks may not represent Muslims, but it does represent Islam"?

Your attack on Islam is pretty transparent.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. PawelStroinski wrote
    Tell me of a religious thought that isn't or at some point wasn't political though. Buddhism mostly, but Far Eastern thought develops the opposite way to Western (as in, philosophy branched out of religion. In the Middle East religion branches out of philosophy, as happened with Confucianism and Taoism... Buddhism similarly - started out as philosophy).

Sorry to disappoint you, but atrocities have been committed in the name of even Buddhism. Ever heard of the Rohingya, a Muslim minority people in Myanmar? If not, well, that's just fine by the Buddhist Myanmar government, who deny them citizenship and basic human rights and are in the middle of a massive campaign against them which has forced about 100,000 of them to abandon their homes and seek refuge in Bangladesh.

Bottom line is, people suck irrespective of religion. They will always find some excuse to spit on, shit on, despise, mistreat and shun anybody who is different from them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    True Edmund...but that unfortunately observation doesn't help.
    When the end goal is the utter destruction of life on earth (or at the very least the annihilation of everything that is not "you") and a reward in a magical afterlife you are changing the goal posts beyond recognition: every other type of extremism or terrorism has a concrete goal ("free these people", "vacate this land", "change your politics").

Religious exrtemism and terrorism has a different goal and speaks to different people.
    A fantastic start would be for the usual suspects to stop that really old "nothing to do with Islam" chestnut (in a rather pointless effort to bring about some kind of relativism EVERYBODY is already aware of TO TEARS -- namely that there are good people who believe as well), because
    IT
    DOESN'T
    MATTER.

There were absolutely lovely and brilliant Germans during 1939 - 1945.
    IT
    DOESN'T
    MATTER

The ones who propagate this 'cause' and their supporters and those who do not dare/wish to speak against them cause this mayhem and madness to continue.

Instead of "no true Muslim..." or "not true Islam..." it would be refreshing (and indeed essential) for Muslims to start saying "it is awful that my religion aparently inspires so many people to unspeakable deeds. What can we do about it?"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Your attack on Islam is pretty transparent.

As it should be.
    No religion should be exempt from the most critical of views in the best of times.

These are the worst of times.
  15. Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Agreed completely.

Disagree completely. Islam is a complex religion -- more than that, it's a political religion. At least potentially. These actions are driven by the ideology coming from a very legitimate version of political Islam; Islamism. These attacks may not represent Muslims, but it does represent Islam. These terrorists are Muslims. That is the point people still seem to go out of their way not to absorb, whether not to offend the average Muslim or simply to absolve all religion from blame. (Religion isn't a helpful word since it covers too many things. Better to differentiate specific beliefs and ideologies with words like Islam, Islamism, jihadist, etc.)

rolleyes

Seconded.
  16. We are loosing the war of symbols because the secular society is based on concepts that are abstract in nature. To a point religion means, to turn abstract concepts into (seemingly) palpable things. We cannot compete on that level. (Or should we erect a Temple of Reason?) It`s hard to convince religious people to give up their idols.

Volker
  17. Or into understandable symbols. Like the circle meaning completeness. There is the irrational part to human condition. It's gonna come out in one way or the other.

18. Instead of "no true Muslim..." or "not true Islam..." it would be refreshing (and indeed essential) for Muslims to start saying "it is awful that my religion aparently inspires so many people to unspeakable deeds. What can we do about it?"

It does happen in Europe and doesn't lead anywhere. There are European imams who are calling for exactly this to happen.

So what?
  19. Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Agreed completely.

rolleyes

I don't profess to understand the details of what any religion means but I do see that these terrorists who are muslims seem to be interpreting the foundations of Islam in their own way and fuelling (and justifying) their own hatreds. So, yes, they are muslims/islamists but laid over this is their own warped beliefs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn