• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    True Edmund...but that unfortunately observation doesn't help.

I know. sad I was just venting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote

Instead of "no true Muslim..." or "not true Islam..." it would be refreshing (and indeed essential) for Muslims to start saying "it is awful that my religion aparently inspires so many people to unspeakable deeds. What can we do about it?"

It does happen in Europe and doesn't lead anywhere. There are European imams who are calling for exactly this to happen.

Great that apparently a couple of lone wolves with a very limited sphere of influence are doing exactly that.
    Now if only the massively vocal and influential part of European Muslims would follow.

So what?

So the conclusion that even in the West there is no intellectual, socially or religiously properly influential group being very vocal about this and taking action (mass demonstrations; moderate muslim political groups, organised streams of lectures, a targeted campaign in all mosques, nation-wide help groups strongly supported by national politics) is INCREDIBLY disturbing and worrying.

That what.

It'll take a shitload more than academic discourse, pussyfooting around, suggesting there is no solution, and historic relativsim.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Martijn wrote
    True Edmund...but that unfortunately observation doesn't help.

I know. sad I was just venting.

I know, mate! I agree with you!
    My comments weren't directed at you particularly in any way.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Because I don't think there is much understanding of the problem. I still think that except doing whatever we do right now in Middle East proper, but better (to at least not try and alienate whoever can be on our side on the ground at least by bombing the shit out of civilians), we need to take a look at the potential and actual lone wolves here. To fight the IS/whatever propaganda and to actually be proactive rather than reactive.

The only way to stop this is to stop the influx of radicalization. And that has to happen over here. Not just being friendly with the moderate imams. Actually trying to get someone to infiltrate the communities, see what they are talking about, etc. That's what I'm worried about the most.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Your attack on Islam is pretty transparent.

As it should be.
    No religion should be exempt from the most critical of views in the best of times.

These are the worst of times.

I'm not surprised you hold that view, as over the years, I've noticed that we seem to be on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Through all the atrocities and terrorist attacks, I maintain that it is wrong and destructive to lambast entire religions. This is only about fringe communities and interpretations of said religions. Furthermore, the cause of these terrorist attacks isn't only found in religion, but also social, political and economical circumstances. Bashing religions as a sole cause is a very narrowminded way to explain a very complex issue.

I don't usually engage in these debates, because I find it difficult to discuss constructively with extremists on any side (some of the 'anti-religious' people on this forum would fall in the 'extremist' category; yes atheists can be extremists too!).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    We are loosing the war of symbols because the secular society is based on concepts that are abstract in nature. To a point religion means, to turn abstract concepts into (seemingly) palpable things. We cannot compete on that level.

True.
    Very true.

"They" (and I'm not simply referring to Islamists but any culture where religion is an integral part of the social structure) do not only disagree, they can literally not fathom a life without religion. (I have had this discussion in Indonesia, Malaysia, on Bali, with people from Qatar, Oman, Jordan, India...).

I'm not sure what a valid alternative symbolism would be that extolls secular values of tolerance and diversity, but I think you and Pawel may have something there that's worth exploring.
  3. A quick look around the net led me to combining two elements.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Your attack on Islam is pretty transparent.

As it should be.
    No religion should be exempt from the most critical of views in the best of times.

These are the worst of times.

I'm not surprised you hold that view, as over the years, I've noticed that we seem to be on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Through all the atrocities and terrorist attacks, I maintain that it is wrong and destructive to lambast entire religions. This is only about fringe communities and interpretations of said religions. Furthermore, the cause of these terrorist attacks isn't only found in religion, but also social, political and economical circumstances. Bashing religions as a sole cause is a very narrowminded way to explain a very complex issue.

I don't usually engage in these debates, because I find it difficult to discuss constructively with extremists on any side (some of the 'anti-religious' people on this forum would fall in the 'extremist' category; yes atheists can be extremists too!).

Thank you for proving my last point.

Did I blame all religion? No. I blame Islamism. That's why I said it's important to use the correct terms.

Do other factors play a role? Of course. But they are branches from the root, and the root is ideology. Everything is viewed through that prism. That ideology is Islamism. And Islamism is easily found within Islam since Islam is a political religion, despite many who might not advocate for political Islam. Islamist terrorists are motivated by the belief in martydom and reward in the 'hereafter', and they are encouraged by Islamic authorities who use Islamic texts. Noticing a theme?

And there are many societies with social and ecomonical disparities, but funnily enough they don't tend to blow up children. That takes specific beliefs about martydom, apostasy and paradise.

Do me a favour and read that again. Tell me where I blame 'all religion' or all Muslims. Also, it's telling that your first reaction is to accuse those you disagree with as 'extremist'.

If I'm being extremely chariteable, I may have mispoke by saying terrorism represents Islam. It represents a part of Islam. But that should be implied within the context of my argument. I should of course known better... rolleyes
  4. Definitely it's something that's quite inclusive. Something that works subliminally must be found. Religion has the (often psychologically positive) power of the myth. We don't have secular creation myths. Myself, I consider myself to be a very moderate (in fact, very liberal) lapsed Catholic, but I had periods of actually attending service, last time very traditional (Tridentine!) service and the power of ritual (something Freemasons tried to keep!) and power of myth has something deep to say about the world. I'm not talking of symbolism in the traditional (almost Jungian) terms, more like perhaps of something the sociologist Pierre Bourdieu called "the symbolic goods market" and "symbolic violence".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I don't profess to understand the details of what any religion means but I do see that these terrorists who are muslims seem to be interpreting the foundations of Islam in their own way and fuelling (and justifying) their own hatreds. So, yes, they are muslims/islamists but laid over this is their own warped beliefs.

So if their own warped beliefs are the primary factor, why do we not see an equal response from other religions? Why do we even talk about Islam if indeed Islam has little or nothing to do with it? Where do they get these overlapping warped beliefs?
  5. I never said it was the primary factor. I said it was an interpretation of Islam by those who feel that they need to resort to violence in order to deliver on their own beliefs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So you're saying it has something to do with religion?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wonder how many ways there are to interpret this gem of moral guidance:

Quran (4:89) - "They wish that you should reject faith as they reject faith, and then you would be equal; therefore take not to yourselves friends of them, until they emigrate in the way of God; then, if they turn their backs, take them, and slay them wherever you find them; take not to yourselves any one of them as friend or helper."

And before the usual "But The Old Testament has bad stuff too" pops up, yes, it does. But most Christians ignore those parts now. Christian theology is potentially just as bad, but the difference is the number of people who take the worst parts seriously. And that prize goes to Islam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Do me a favour and read that again. Tell me where I blame 'all religion' or all Muslims. Also, it's telling that your first reaction is to accuse those you disagree with as 'extremist'.

From what I've read from you regarding religion (and the fervor with which you oppose it), I'd label you an 'atheist extremist', yes.

I'm just opposed to the whole hate rhetoric emanating from this. Once we start hating Islam as a religion, the terrorists have won. They've succeeded in creating the Great Divide. For each of these abominable attacks, it only gets more and more important to recognize the fringe groups doing this, and ways in which they can be infiltrated and dealt with.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Extremist atheists?

Well, atheism has certainly made it's bloody stamp on the history of the 20th century. But that was not humanist or philosophical atheism but a derived atheism that was part of the ideological package known as Communism.

There are hysterical church and religion bashers like those Brights oddballs, but who takes them seriously anyway?

Humanist atheism can't be extremist. It's a contradiction in itself.

Volker
  7. Steven wrote

Did I not make it plain? Yes, I believe that there is an element of this specific religion involved in what we are seeing here.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. This reminds me of a guy who refused to sell something (I think it might have been guns, even) to people who adhered to a "literal understanding" of the Quran. And I chuckled as I started wondering what did the poor Quranists (ie. Quran counts only, you have to take the whole text into account, because there is no abrogation... and the hadith don't matter at all) do to him? They're a separate branch from Shi'a and Sunni. There are no Quranist terrorist organizations whatsoever.

How is the "terror" interpretation literal or figurative? The situation is complex as hell, I do understand why things are the way they are. It's trying to control the response to be proportionate (you could talk about the state monopoly of violence, even!) and control the population not to lynch fellow citizens, of course. But my only problem with #NotAllMuslims is that it simplifies the situation in another way. It doesn't address the war of and, actually, war on symbols, it doesn't address the recruitment/radicalization issue. It just gives a kind reminder that, after a radical Muslim kills many people, there are Muslims who don't kill anyone. Well., sure.

See, I think otherwise than you here: I don't think the idea is a problem itself. It's how the idea which is based on writing is manipulated. Same with the Bible - it's a very long an important tradition for a certain culture than can be mangled beyond repair. This is what is happening. It's like jihad which can be, on the one hand, saving the life of a child in the hospital (hell, I can imagine that a Muslim surgeon after a 10+ hour operation could even utter an Allahu akbar, should the operation be successful) and on the other hand blowing up dozens of random civilians in a major European city. How are both plausible and how to compute it without going all "no true Scotsman" on anyone? To me this is the real war. We shouldn't wage a war on Islam (which the Western response may plausibly and easily be framed as due to the collateral damage of any airstrike, especially since The Donald took over) itself. It's like Netanyahu once said that Israel has the "most moral army" in the world. Yeah, right. I'm sitting on the most moral chair in the world. Same with the anti-immigrant/refugee sentiments. That's, as Thor say, where the terror wins. Because once you can easily say "they hate us", they will be very eager to continue. War on terror is also if not mostly a symbolic one.

I think what I just described is the real problem we are dealing with. This and the Saudis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's interesting that there have now been two terrorist atrocities in the UK during the current general election campaign and neither party which might win has had much to say about terrorism, until today. The Prime Minister came out with some rhetoric which probably went down well but doesn't really mean anything (basically "enough is enough" but not saying what she would do to stop it) and the leader of the opposition basically blaming her, for presiding over cuts to police funding (which seems a valid criticism to me, though all the pictures of him smiling away with terrorists in the 80s and 90s will no doubt be wheeled out at a rate of knots again now, even if they didn't seem to do much harm a few weeks ago).

I know that "immigration" seems to be a hot topic and perhaps that's the proxy for "doing something about terrorism" in people's minds, but I'm amazed this hasn't played a bigger part, which has generally been along traditional British electoral lines (economic competence vs social justice). I suspect that if one of the potential prime ministers were to set out a clear plan for dealing with this particular problem, that would do their chances a lot of good.
  9. I've been wondering which party has benefited most grom these terrorist attacks. The Tories who are in power and can continue on with policy. Or Labour, who can do something since this government can't stop them from having some 'success'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote

I disagree completely. 'Extremism' is not exclusive for religious people. It's not only about actions, but also in what you say and how you say it. Militant, anti-religious rhetoric is also a form of extremism.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm amazed the Tories aren't suffering more from it. They're standing there saying Corbyn's weak on this stuff, opposed all the anti terror legislation and so on, and they may or may not have a point - but they've been in power for seven years and these things are happening right now. If I were in Labour's campaign I'd be making sure that the videos of Corbyn saying this sort of thing would happen as a result of Iraq at the time of the war, went viral.
  10. Or maybe they feel responsible for their country (oh, I wish it was like that here) and don't want to shape the narrative in any way? Maybe they just don't want to use it for political gain? Not everyone's Drumpf.
  11. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I disagree completely. 'Extremism' is not exclusive for religious people. It's not only about actions, but also in what you say and how you say it. Militant, anti-religious rhetoric is also a form of extremism.

I agree, however, as a devil's advocate, would a humanist be really militant?
  12. A humanist treats a human counterpart as his equal regardless of religion, gender, complexion, age, disability or social rank. He will strive not to use a person as a means to further his own purposes but as a subject of dignity.
    Yes, I used the word "paranoia" today in relation to religion. Do we take every word with a pinch of salt? Also it must be possible to talk about religion as such and specific religions in a critical way without every religious person around feeling offended. It must be possible to point out how organized religion can derail and what elements in Islam makes that religion especially prone for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2017
    Any idea can be taken to the extreme. But it matters what the idea is. An extreme atheist might be someone who writes books and gets into arguments all the time with religious people. An extreme Muslim is likely to chop your head off.

Apparently those two are the same thing to Thor. I'm as bad as ISIS I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

Did I not make it plain?

FalkirkBairn wrote
    this hasn't anything to do with religion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

In terms of rhetorics? Absolutely.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

In terms of rhetorics? Absolutely.

So a 'militant' humanist is equatable to a militant Muslim?

Thor wrote

I'm just opposed to the whole hate rhetoric emanating from this. Once we start hating Islam as a religion, the terrorists have won. They've succeeded in creating the Great Divide. For each of these abominable attacks, it only gets more and more important to recognize the fringe groups doing this, and ways in which they can be infiltrated and dealt with.

We are taking great pains to delineate between the ideas coming from Islam. We hate ISLAMISM; political Islam. We hate those who wish to enforce Islamic beliefs on others. And, more generally, we hate any idea that flies in the face of a free, democratic society (of which there seem to be many within Islam, whether you like to admit it or not). That is worthy of all our disdain. Not naming the problem and obsfucating where it comes from is what ultimately creates the divide. We give fuel to those on the far right, and we confuse those on the left. It's perfectly okay to call out Islam when it does its worst. But you seem insistent that it isn't, and I can't for the life of me fathom why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, atheism has certainly made it's bloody stamp on the history of the 20th century. But that was not humanist or philosophical atheism but a derived atheism that was part of the ideological package known as Communism.

You're smarter than to come up with that old pars pro toto fallacy, Captain.
    No one was EVER killed IN THE NAME OF atheism ("derived", "humanist" or otherwise).
    Yes, there were regimes that incorporated a rejection of (or indeed active persecution of) religion, but that had sod-all to do with atheism as a point of view (there was no Big Book Of No-God that told them to do this), and everything with the political necessity to annihilate church and religion as any kind of valid alternative to the totalitarian hold the state needed to hold on its citizens!

So to suggest, following this logic, that "atheism has made a bloody stamp" is as odd as suggesting that barley is responsible for alcoholism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote
    We are taking great pains to delineate between the ideas coming from Islam. We hate ISLAMISM; political Islam. We hate those who wish to enforce Islamic beliefs on others. And, more generally, we hate any idea that flies in the face of a free, democratic society (of which there seem to be many within Islam, whether you like to admit it or not). That is worthy of all our disdain. Not naming the problem and obsfucating where it comes from is what ultimately creates the divide. We give fuel to those on the far right, and we confuse those on the left. It's perfectly okay to call out Islam when it does its worst. But you seem insistent that it isn't, and I can't for the life of me fathom why.

Exactly. Thank you.

It would be a massive step forward to stop blindly insisting that "this has nothing to do with Islam".
    As much as the Inquisition had EVERYTHING to do with Catholicsim and the bloody Puritanist oppression EVERYTHING with Protestantism, these insane attacks have EVERYTHING to do with Islam.

Islam has a problem, and its called Islamism.
    Islam so far has not only offered no answer -admittedly, that's hard!- but is even denying a discourse, simply denying the fact....and weirdly, reasonable, well educated people in the West -against all logic and historic precedence- simply go along with this.

Steven is right: if at the very least that discourse isn't started on a level that transcends a few well-meaning, progressive imams, this will provide massive fuel to forces that DO employ the broad-stroked brush, and we WILL see overarching measures that will also affect the well-meaning and the innocent. Current developments in US immigration laws come to mind.