• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010
    Same here.

We had some space left in our budgeting for next year, but instead of saving, they all spent it again...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    On worthwhile once-off cultural prestige projects, one would hope?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    On the other hand, the revenge aspect disturbs me.
    While at heart all punitive law is based on revenge, that as a sole motive is too cruel and one-sided for me.

I am reminded of an old interview I saw with Simon Wiesenthal, the great Nazi hunter, in the late eighties, in which he dismissed the old nazis from the war: "he's just a man, an old man. He poses no threat. He is obsolete. All he wants is to be left alone and die in peace..."
    And then he turned and leaned straight into the camera, his voice changing to ice cold steel: "Ich. Lasse. Ihn. Nicht." (I won't let him).
    It made quite an impact on me then, and I have been questioning the dual morality of hunting people to their grave and the nature of guilt and punishment ever since.

It's a similar matter with the death sentence. Does having one jailed for many many years 'till he's old, actually erase the evil and harm he's committed and the misery he's brought to the people that were the victims and their families? I am not too sure about this, i'm in the middle.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote:
    Does having one jailed for many many years 'till he's old, actually erase the evil and harm he's committed and the misery he's brought to the people that were the victims and their families?

I'd be surprised if there was anyone who thought it did. Justice isn't about 'erasing' the past but rather accounting for the past. (That's the idea anyway.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote:
    Does having one jailed for many many years 'till he's old, actually erase the evil and harm he's committed and the misery he's brought to the people that were the victims and their families?

I'd be surprised if there was anyone who thought it did. Justice isn't about 'erasing' the past but rather accounting for the past. (That's the idea anyway.)

Well, Martijn has that doubt if i understood his point correctly? About the harmless old man who simply wants to die in peace, regardless of his past?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    As for the rest of the countries following Greece, well, you can always kill Greece and kick it out of the Eu and the Eurozone; after all it's us who caused all the other countries' inner financial problems, unemployment and debts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for the rest of the countries following Greece, well, you can always kill Greece and kick it out of the Eu and the Eurozone; after all it's us who caused all the other countries' inner financial problems, unemployment and debts.

I still don't understand why no one can punish those people you voted and trusted on, but then lied to the Eurozone.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    In the US the health bill is historic. Unlike California people that I know in Minnesota aren't happy about it. When I mention the fact that four of our representatives Ellison, McCollum, Oberstar, and Walz voted for it they have no answer. Did Obama hold a gun to their heads? I don't think so.

I think many of you realize what is at stake in the US. Just one part of the bill, the fact that an insurance company can no longer discriminate against a pre-existing condition anymore (like myself having had the stroke) is going to hurt the insurance companies. I think it is a good thing.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

rolleyes
    Yeah. Good contribution, D.
    (Bregt, we need a yawny emoticon!)

Christodoulides wrote
    Well, Martijn has that doubt if i understood his point correctly? About the harmless old man who simply wants to die in peace, regardless of his past?

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing?
    Wat Wiesenthal spoke about is the old men who thus far had eluded judgment/justice.

So the difference was between "getting away with it" (even after a long time) and being held to account (at whatever time).
    Not the difference between a lifetime sentence and the death penalty.

To me guilt -what you feel/are- and atonement -the price you pay- are very dissimilar things.
    You will never be free of the deeds that you did. How could you? They happened!
    Most societies though have a penal system that puts a certain price on certain misdeeds. Whenever that price has been paid, the crime is supposed to be absolved.

But obviously it could never make the results of those deeds go away (even with purely material crimes, where the penalty is to reimburse the victim, things like trust get damaged). Let alone the deeds proper!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I still don't understand why no one can punish those people you voted and trusted on, but then lied to the Eurozone.

Well, it's what the current government is trying to do but the roots of evil are deep and go long back in time. It will take lots of efforts, time and harshness for this effort to bring results.

But anyway, we have a debt, a big one admittedly. Like every other country does. Some smaller, some bigger, my sentence was to be taken with a bit of irony anyway.* It's just us who came in the surface first, then the rest will follow. Some are hiding it way better than us. It's a worldwide problem that knows no boundaries and it's not limited to one or two Countries. If things keep evolving in the same downward fashion as they do know, it's a matter of time for most countries, especially those who don't have a strong industry to back them up.

*except if you really think that after all it's us who caused all the other countries' inner financial problems, unemployment and debts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

rolleyes
    Yeah. Good contribution, D.
    (Bregt, we need a yawny emoticon!)

Martijn, i am sorry for your discomfort but a month or so back when we were discussing it, i told you this would follow. You insisted it was solely Greece's fault and problem. I really hope i'm proven wrong in the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    (...) about the age vs ethics issue

My point was more general. Whether one should be let go whatever the actions he has caused in the past, simple due to the time factor, that he's very old, about to leave this world soon anyway, uncapable to now harm anyone, at least more than he already did, and just wants to die in peace.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Did Portugal lie about their budgetting? Or was the announcement this morning a result of the recession?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote

It was never taken into consideration actual European governments would be so immoral they'd actively and actually full out lie.

The only dues they'll pay is they may not be re-elected into anything ever again (but given the public memory, that is not a given at all slant ).

sdtom wrote
    In the US the health bill is historic.... I think it is a good thing.
    Thomas

While the social-liberal way (mandatory) insurance is handled in Europe (or in The Netherlands at least) certainly has its drawbacks, the American system has always been the laughing stock or the shame -depending on your point of view- of the civilized world. This is a very good step, to my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Did Portugal lie about their budgetting? Or was the announcement this morning a result of the recession?

The 2nd, from what i know. And more will follow. The world has problems and everyone who doesn't realize it are not following close enough. Greece happened to also lie about the size of their problem. It's not the root of the problem, as some set it to be. That's my point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn, i am sorry for your discomfort but a month or so back when we were discussing it, i told you this would follow. You insisted it was solely Greece's fault and problem. I really hope i'm proven wrong in the end.

angry
    As you may well remember I mentioned Spain, Ireland and Portugal the very first time as well (I'm not even going to look it up. You're perfectly capable of doing that yourself if you want).
    You have to be perfectly blind to not see their problems in the Eurozone.

The only thing that set me off against Greece is -contrary to the other three- THAT THEY LIED.
    That was always and ever my point.

And THAT has been the beginning of the immediate and almost irreparable international distrust of the Euro. And THAT in its turn has caused an accelerated decline for the other three, which MAY (or may not...we'll never know) have been able to be saved by taking drastic measures.

But while the markets would CERTAINLY have reacted adversely to that, the only fact that there was an ACTIVE and DELIBERATE cover-up of outright LIES has done MORE and DEEPER damage than any (predictable) economic turn of events could ever have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

My point was more general. Whether one should be let go whatever the actions he has caused in the past, simple due to the time factor, that he's very old, about to leave this world soon anyway, uncapable to now harm anyone, at least more than he already did, and just wants to die in peace.

It's not really age VERSUS ethics.
    The age is PART of it, I think.

If the appropriate penalty a society has set for a certain crime is life imprisonment, then you could (in my mind successfully) argue against releasing a prisoner before he dies "merely because he is old".

The death penalty is way more complicated because I think the sentence of death is in itself immoral and unethical, even when it's integrated into a penal system. But the same ethical argument could be used against life imprisonment (which I am not against).

It all greatly depends on the way a society evolves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

And THAT has been the beginning of the immediate and almost irreparable international distrust of the Euro. And THAT in its turn has caused an accelerated decline for the other three, which MAY (or may not...we'll never know) have been able to be saved by taking drastic measures.

Martijn, look Greece's small size, population and economy / industry up. If you seriously think it can do so much damage to a recession that started from the other side of the globe and sweeped Greece's (and other soon to fall weak economies as well), then what can i tell you? I refuse to accept that someone as intelligent and educated as you actually believe this. The recession has brought Greece's lying to the surface and accelerated its disposal but it wasn't Greece who caused anything; it's too small and insignificant in the big global picture to have such a power. What started isolated in the beginning from the US markets, has now started to cause a domino effect to the entire world. And it's not just 3-4 countries as you set it here, it's a wider problem. Greece was simply the first victim 'caused they lied and their problem is proportionally bigger than other similar countries in the EU.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

It's not really age VERSUS ethics.
    The age is PART of it, I think.

If the appropriate penalty a society has set for a certain crime is life imprisonment, then you could (in my mind successfully) argue against releasing a prisoner before he dies "merely because he is old".

The death penalty is way more complicated because I think the sentence of death is in itself immoral and unethical, even when it's integrated into a penal system. But the same ethical argument could be used against life imprisonment (which I am not against).

It all greatly depends on the way a society evolves.

True. But these matters are always on the comfort-zone when you're on the outside. I don't dare to suggest that death sentence is immoral to a mother (for instance) who's lost his husband and / or children from a murderer who's now imprisoned and awaiting execution. It's a very delicate matter and because i have no real experience with it and i am not directly affected by it, i don't really know where to stand with it, thus why i'm in the middle. I am not really into a position to strictly judge it from the comfort of my sofa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    <Greece is too small to make in impact>

You're RIGHT!
    Greece's economy accounts for about 5% of all economic trade in the EU.
    5%!

And that is EXACTLY my point. That's what makes this thing so galling.
    This SHOULDN'T have made the impact it did, and it wouldn't have...if those lying scumbags in the government would have come clean sooner. Or indeed -preferably- had been truthful in the first place...but that would never have been a scenario as they would simply never have been able to enter the Eurozone then. slant

It's the shock and size of the LIE that has pretty much destroyed investors' confidence.
    Economics, especially stock market economics, as I've argued time and again, these days have far less to do with science, but with emotion and psychology.
    And in such an environment -as often in life- it's the lie that hurts the most.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    It's the shock and size of the LIE that has pretty much destroyed investors' confidence.
    Economics, especially stock market economics, as I've argued time and again, these days have far less to do with science, but with emotion and psychology.
    And in such an environment -as often in life- it's the lie that hurts the most.

How did a government's lie about the exact size of the debt destroyed any investor's confidence? The euro started having problems along with the entire world when the recession started.

Are there evidents that confirm that had it not been for Greece's lying, the Euro would remain affected by the whole wide world financial state and that the 3 countries now that are next to follow Greece would too escape relatively unharmed? It's a bit naive to think that investors that have such a huge impact on the economy actually give a fuck about a country like Greece and its 5% share of the Eu Economy. How do you justify your argument?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    But these matters are always on the comfort-zone when you're on the outside. I don't dare to suggest that death sentence is immoral to a mother (for instance) who's lost his husband and / or children from a murderer who's now imprisoned and awaiting execution.

While I'm more than happy to go to bat against anyone proposing the death penalty, that indeed is the hardest and emotional confrontation possible, and brings home very clearly that age-old ethical dilemma of whether it's the needs of the few that should prevail, or that of the many.

To my mind there is a great difference between sympathising and empathising with those victimized (and who in his right state of mind wouldn't?), and taking only their loss as a basis for a all-encompassing penal system. A society should never work that way.
    And I will defend that point of view.
    Even against those who have suffered so grievously.
    Not because they are wrong, or because I don't care.
    But because I *must*.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    But these matters are always on the comfort-zone when you're on the outside. I don't dare to suggest that death sentence is immoral to a mother (for instance) who's lost his husband and / or children from a murderer who's now imprisoned and awaiting execution.

While I'm more than happy to go to bat against anyone proposing the death penalty, that indeed is the hardest and emotional confrontation possible, and brings home very clearly that age-old ethical dilemma of whether it's the needs of the few that should prevail, or that of the many.

To my mind there is a great difference between sympathising and empathising with those victimized (and who in his right state of mind wouldn't?), and taking only their loss as a basis for a all-encompassing penal system. A society should never work that way.
    And I will defend that point of view.
    Even against those who have suffered so grievously.
    Not because they are wrong, or because I don't care.
    But because I *must*.

But have you ever wondered how your views would be affected (or not) if - God forbid, you ever found yourself into their position? Crime's percentage is such that it's bound to happen to the few. Just because of its nature and the fact that it normally can't affect the masses, it would be extremely arrogant to dismiss the unlucky few victims of the crimes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

How did a government's lie about the exact size of the debt destroyed any investor's confidence? The euro started having problems along with the entire world when the recession started.

But D., that is simply blatantly untrue. It is just not the case!
    If anything the Euro was THE financial stronghold, growing immensely in value against the dollar!

Are there evidents that confirm that had it not been for Greece's lying, the Euro would remain affected by the whole wide world financial state and that the 3 countries now that are next to follow Greece would too escape relatively unharmed?

D., how can anyone provide evidence for a hypothetical situation?
    That didn't HAPPEN, so -logically- there is no, nor can there ever BE evidence!

The evidence (as in "measurable, observable and documented") is simply that when Greece's LIE came to light, the Euro dropped liked a brick. THAT is what actually HAPPENED.

[/qIt's a bit naive to think that investors that have such a huge impact on the economy actually give a fuck about a country like Greece and its 5% share of the Eu Economy.

That's what you would think, isn't it?
    That's what you would hope?

But unfortunately it isn't what happened.

How do you justify your argument?

By evidence.
    Observable, measurable and documented events.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    But have you ever wondered how your views would be affected (or not) if - God forbid, you ever found yourself into their position?

Sure.
    That's why judges don't try their own cases, or surgeons don't operate on family: once you get personally involved, your judgment becomes impaired! I wouldn't be so arrogant as to assume that I would be immune from that.

In fact, I can pretty much guarantee that I would be completely irrational with grief, fear and anger, and that nothing I would think or say would in any way be objective, logical, or -indeed- ethical.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    D, you can't deny that since Greece's lie came to lie, the Euro dropped. It was still going strong, comparing to the dollar, even after the bad year 2009 was. Greece certainly is the main reason for the problem, you just can't turn that data away?

EDIT: See Martijn's better response.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Guys I have decided not to participate but I will post once and nothing else.
    Greece certainly is the main reason for the problem, you just can't turn that data away?

For crying out loud!!! 26 countries and Greece is the main reason?! Nice, very nice indeed!
    And to say just one thing, it's very easy for all of you to talk about it but before you express an opinion again try to think and feel the way I do, because I am paying for all this. Literaly and metaphorically! So please do spare me the philological discussion on who is to be blamed! The main problem is who is paying for all this. And European help or not the situation in my country will take years to improve.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But nobody said anything against the Greek people. confused confused
    And in fact I don't think anybody ever did. confused confused confused

I can't count the number of times in this very tread I said the Greek people will be the worst to suffer, and how infuriatingly unjust that is.

But the fact that the Greek population will suffer for decades has nothing to do with the very real arguments put forward in this thread about the accelerated freefall of the Euro and the danger the Euro zone is in (even though obviously it is a consequence of it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, i am sorry to say that you face the whole thing in pretty one-sided fashion. The 2 events you and Bregt mention coincided in time AND THAT'S THE ONLY REAL FACT, and there's not the slightest proof that the 2 are as closely related as you mention. You have no facts, it's too damn quick for those, you're making assumptions as the events are still rolling as we speak.

It's utterly ridiculous to suggest that a country as little and financially insignificant (5% of the Eu economy, you said it) caused such a strong and powerful (as you describe it) currency to fall. If you suggest that, then i rest my case. If you want to look at the surface of the problem and not its roots, and arrogantly blame it on other "lesser" nations that should never be enlisted in your elite group, then so be it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    When the Euro was introduced then this very thing was labelled as a big risk. Serious opponents to its introduction, indeed, identified it as the main reason it shouldn't happen.

I am, as ever, one to leap to conclusions despite only having a fraction of the evidence, and I'd suggest that the Greek problems served perhaps to expose the fact that other economies within the Eurozone were inevitably heading towards similar problems, and that's the real cause of the Euro weakening. This much should have been blindingly obvious to anyone with any common sense for many years, but apparently not to finance ministers around the world.

I can at least speak with an air of disinterest since the UK's currency is even weaker and we're probably heading towards our own meltdown (and have a smaller pot of friends than others who might help to bail us out - I guess the hope is we can call in a few favours from the US).