• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thanks for the spelling, Jon.

Tim, AQ = Al Qaeda. wink

Cheers Sherlock tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jon Broxton wrote
    The BBC are saying that it is likely to be Al Qaeda, in reprisal for Norwegian involvement in Afghanistan, and the NATO action in Libya.

Glad you're OK Thor. Thinking about you.

Amen to that.

Latest news I'm hearing from the BBC is that a gunman "disguised" as a policeman has opened fire on people on, if I heard rightly, an Island in Norway? Is this related?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Thor glad you are ok! I've just heard it. We are liveing in dark times guys at is seems. Dark times.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote
    The BBC are saying that it is likely to be Al Qaeda, in reprisal for Norwegian involvement in Afghanistan, and the NATO action in Libya.

Glad you're OK Thor. Thinking about you.

Amen to that.

Latest news I'm hearing from the BBC is that a gunman "disguised" as a policeman has opened fire on people on, if I heard rightly, an Island in Norway? Is this related?

Too early to say, but it seems so, yes. It was the Norwegian Labour Party's youth organization that have their summer camp there.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If it is AQ they have made it very clear that nowhere is safe.

These events are horrific.
  1. Watching the news now and the death toll at both incidents is rising.

Concensus seems to be that there is no obvious link so far, but that it is very co-incidental for them not to be linked.

There is a sense being put about here that there was a "won't happen here" mentality - except at the American Embassy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited
    Thor how are things there? I've just read that people were asked to stay indoors and that it is possible the two incidents are linked. Are you and your ok? Be safe!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Stavroula wrote
    Thor how are things there? I've just read that people were asked to stay indoors and that it is possible the two incidents are linked. Are you and your ok? Be safe!

Yes, I am, thanks. I had actually intended to go downtown today (in the area where the bomb went off) to take the bus down South, but in the last minute I decided to stay home for a few more days because I'm still not feeling tops after the operation on Thursday. But it was weird to hear the blast from so far away (about 2 kilometers).

Yes, the two incidents seem to be linked, as the same person was observed both where the bomb went off and then -- dressed up as a police offer -- shooting those kids at the summer camp outside Oslo. Just writing that sentence feels so absurd and surreal. The events are really starting to sink in. I believe I'm more shocked than I think.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Thank God you decided to stay home. It's absolutely logical to be shocked when you are so near to everything that happened. I can tell you that people here are shocked by the news. I hope things will calm done and the people responsible for these dispeakable actions with be caught.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    80 dead!? this has rapidly turned into a horrendous event with so many innocent lives lost, awful, truly awful!

My heart goes out to you and your country Thor.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011 edited
    I'm from Norway and I've been up all night watching the news on TV. I was truly shocked when they said there was at least 80 people (probably mostly kids, 13 and older) killed on the island. And there's also the 7 dead from the bomb in Oslo. I just feel sick now...
  2. It is a terrible event indeed.

Would this guy have done National Service? And would that have meant he was familiar with using firearms/explosives?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    My English is not that good so I'm not sure what National Service means. But it I think it has been mentioned that he served one year in the army (which is mandatory in Norway) and he have license for several guns (for hunting). It has also been said the shooting was done with a machine gun or sub machine gun. The theory on the explosives was that it was home made.

Edit: A bit of googling tells me that National Service means that mandatory army thing, so yeah...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I woke up to the high death toll today, and got another shock. More than 80 teenagers at summer camp -- resourceful kids, engaged in politics and a desire to make a difference in the world -- get butchered down, isolated on an island. And then there's the bombing in downtown Oslo that took 7 lives yesterday, people working in the service of our nation. Just like 9/11 or the other terrorist attacks in Oklahoma, Madrid, London etc., it's a trauma far, far removed from anything we can imagine. Just listening to the prime minister's press conference, where he said that his youth paradise had been transformed to a nightmarish hell, gave me tears in my eyes.

We also have to remember that Norway is such a small nation -- we're only about 5 million people -- so everyone has a connection to everyone in some way or other. Especially when the death toll is this high.

This is a national trauma, the worst incident here since WW2, and it affects us all. I need some time myself just to digest it all, and I can only imagine what it's like for the friends and family of the deceased. Whatever problems one has oneself become so insignificant in such a time, and I feel that I don't have the words to describe it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What a terrible roll of events. This is apparently the man who did it, 32 Norwegian but an islamic organization has already taken the responsibility for the attacks the way i see it? He was dealing with them?

http://www.zougla.gr/file.ashx?fp=~/Upl … efasef.jpg

Very tragic.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    What a terrible roll of events. This is apparently the man who did it, 32 Norwegian but an islamic organization has already taken the responsibility for the attacks the way i see it? He was dealing with them?

http://www.zougla.gr/file.ashx?fp=~/Upl … efasef.jpg

Very tragic.

It's too early to tell, but I doubt that. Extremist organizations like that frequently take credit for attacks such as these to gain recognition, even though they didn't do it. This looks more and more like a one-man show (or a few) from a deluded guy associated with extremist right wing movements.

I think this picture from yesterday's bombing sums up how little colour matters in this thing:

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/labrador/174/17 … 12x550.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I remember reading something like that in an international media but can't find it now, must have been bad press then. Whatever the case, it's very sad. Neo-nazi, "Christian fundamentalist" right-wing extremist bullcrap taking the lives off so many innocent people. It's suprising how the events happened in the camp, he went in with a police uniform and they let him go on stand 'talk' to the young people who were already gathered, just like that. Very sad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I think this picture from yesterday's bombing sums up how little colour matters in this thing:

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/labrador/174/17 … 12x550.jpg

Fuck. That's a hard-hitting picture.
    Horror on this scale seldomly emotionally hits home until its broken down to components and brought back to an almost personal level.
    This just did.
    Goddamn.

The Islamist faction that was keen to take the credit for the attack in the meantime has quickly retracted their statement (as was widely expected). Pathetic attention seekers. Al Quaeda seems to be in massive disarray, and their textbook fear-spreading tactics are becoming increasingly transparent.

It now certainly seems this was an action by a very limited amount of people (it almost seems incredible it was just one man. the logistics and planning alne must have required an absolute mastermind), rooted in -what else- uncompromising fundamentalism (that makes humanity and lives utterly subservient to conviction) and relatively easy access to weapons of war (nobody, NOBODY, can EVER convince me that there is ANY point or sense to licensing MACHINE GUNS for personal use).

God, it's sickening to the stomach.
    He executed eighty people.
    It makes me physically ill.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Another note: I don't think he had a license for a machine gun, just for hunting weapons. I don't think you can get license for machine guns in Norway. Not for personal use anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thank modern day America and "Free will" laws that are making other countries loosen up their gun laws, for these situations.

Martijn, so this is what i read last night? a pathetic small Islamic organization trying to take the credit........

I hope the Justice system does its work good this time and lets him rot for a lifetime in dark isolated cell. Death sentence is too good for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm... there was mention in the international media of a licensed Glock.
    Well, as there seems to be a lot of movement in the flow of information I'll wait a bit before jumping to conclusions.
    Apparently the Norwegian police now suggest there were more shooters on the island.

For what it's worth I'm glad that at least this Breivik is in custody, so that at least we may at some point have a chance to understand what happened, and why.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    I've been watching the news for almost 20 hours now and there has been so many rumors so I don't know what's true or not. I just remember he had license for some guns, I don't know what types.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    On a sidenote, Us debt talks failing down is both scary for the whole globe's future, and bitter-black funny...

http://www.nooz.gr/image.ashx?fid=56825 … &h=225
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I hate this world sometimes. sad It baffles me that people can be so evil and hateful to want to do something like this.

What a shock to find out this morning that 84 people had been confirmed dead.

Witnesses seem to have described a second gunman. Not sure if it's early confusion, but considering the death toll, it seems likely.

My thoughts go out to Thor, Ranietz and Norway.

Peter sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmm... there was mention in the international media of a licensed Glock.
    Well, as there seems to be a lot of movement in the flow of information I'll wait a bit before jumping to conclusions.
    Apparently the Norwegian police now suggest there were more shooters on the island.

For what it's worth I'm glad that at least this Breivik is in custody, so that at least we may at some point have a chance to understand what happened, and why.

A valid point Martijn, I'm not sure if I ever remember one of these maniacs ever being taken alive before? You think of Columbine, Hungerford etc and all the madmen involved evaded capture by killing themselves.

I strongly suspect the Norwegian Prime minister, Jens Stoltenberg, was a probable target too, he was due to be at the Island within hours.

p.s. Good to hear from you Ranietz, my very best to you and yours at this awful time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What really got me while watching the news was the aerial view with all the tents and thinking that those kids should, right now, be doing activities and enjoying the company of friends, this brought tears to my eyes, it's all just so senseless and heartbreaking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw, i feel awful from "stealing" the current topic's subject matter and i apologize for this, but the Us-near-default situation seems pretty worrying... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14258888
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw, i feel awful from "stealing" the current topic's subject matter and i apologize for this, but the Us-near-default situation seems pretty worrying... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14258888

No worries, D. This topic is called "World Topics" and will segue from this to that event as times goes by. It's just that right now, I feel empty and don't really have anything to add on other issues or film music or anything else. The Japan tsunami disaster was another big one earlier this year, but when something horrible happens so close to home -- and to such a degree -- it strikes you in a whole other, personal way. You become a bit apathetic.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Getting back to the Norwegian situation. I was concerned the other day when an "expert" on BBC News started to talk about the Pakistani population in Oslo and the efforts to prevent radicalisation in that community. No one knew then what had happened but even then a group was being singled out.
  4. Anyone else hearing rumours that Amy Winehouse is dead? Trying to confirm at the moment.