• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone else hearing rumours that Amy Winehouse is dead? Trying to confirm at the moment.

Apparently Sky News just confirmed her death.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. And so did Reuters.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. I may be being unfair but on hearing the news I just assumed it was drug/alcohol related. I have no idea at the moment what has happened.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    BBC news confirms it too, very sad.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. It is interesting to follow the spread of the news of Winehouse's death.

I first read unconfirmed reports on Twitter about 5.25pm. I usually follow BBC News for my news but it wasn't listed on my BBC News app for another 30 minutes. And in the meantime Reuters and Sky News had reported it. Anyone know when it was reported on BBC News 24?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011 edited
    Just read it in Greek sites too. What a pity. What a great talent wasted. She was to sing in the Greek Ejekt Festival last month but she appeared so drunk ih her Belgrade gig that she canceled her appearance here. I liked her music. Sad news. sad
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    The news of Amy Winehouse didn't do anything to me, because my mind is still full of Norway. Sorry!

I think on that island a lot of talent was wasted too. sad
    Like Thor said, they were young people with a lot of engagement and care for their country and the world. They were children and adolescents for god's sake!

Each time they mention the number of people killed, I think 'People? People?? You mean kids!'
    Sorry but I'm feeling horrible about this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I've just so picture from the service in the memory of the victims and it was heart breaking. sad I trully wish that the 4 young people who are missing will be found alive and well. So much hatred is not humanly possible.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm devastated and in a mess after having watched a service in Oslo Cathedral just now (not a memorial service, since not all the victims have been identified yet, but a service for grief and hope). I never thought it would strike me like this -- I hardly ever cry! -- but this is different. Some strong and powerful moments in that service.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011 edited
    It's a lesson from 1961 (the Eichmann trial) that still hits home every so often: the utter banality of evil.
    Brevik has just confessed to the bombing and the shooting, stating it was "horrific but essential", and turns out to have (just beforehand) put his "manifesto" (of 1500 pages!) on the internet, from which it's alledgedly clear that he is anti-immigration, anti-Marxist and anti-Islam.

At this point it seems evident that his "Godgiven Purpose", his "Grand Design", his "All-encompassing Masterplan" was just lashing out against the left wing political party that he holds clearly responsible for too lax immigration laws and being too soft on terrorism, extremism and Islam as a whole.

That's it. No personal or political suppression, no lofty political goal, no idealist statement, no long term purpose.

And so he kills kids.

THe utter utter, utter banality of evil.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Too much Hitler craze in his fucked up mind. I really don't know what's best for him. Shoot him on the head or let him rot n a dark jail for life.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. I am against death penalties so let him rot very slowly in a dark jail for life. And let's hope he is getting really old. And he believes in God, so he will be punished after his death as well.
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    What worries me is that Norway has a maximum penalty of 22 years or thereabouts. Surely they they'll have to find some legal loopholes to keep him locked up the rest of his life.

In any case, he's bound to live a miserable life from now on. Child murderers aren't exactly popular in jail.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    What worries me is that Norway has a maximum penalty of 22 years or thereabouts. Surely they they'll have to find some legal loopholes to keep him locked up the rest of his life.

In any case, he's bound to live a miserable life from now on. Child murderers aren't exactly popular in jail.

Peter slant

21 years is our maximum sentence, yes. I'm not sure what happens after that. I'm sure that if they still think he's a hazard to society, they'll have ways to supervise him. I'm sure this will be debated in the weeks to come. Right now, I'm more in a sad mood than one of anger.

I'm vehemently opposed to the death penalty, and am very happy we don't have that, but I'm wondering if 21 years is enough in cases such as this. I'm sure most Norwegians feel the same way these days.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I hope it's 22 years for each life he took so 2024 years for him to rot. Without counting the lives of the victims' relatives that he destroyed. How many years must he serve for them as well? angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Norway has pretty much the same system as The Netherlands: if any kind of psychological defect is discovered (which is extremely likely: the man clearly is a sociopath), he will be remanded to a hospital for the criminally insane and be evaluated every so often to see whather or not he's competent to serve his sentence.

I'm thinking it's unlikely he will ever leave that hospital.
    Which would be just as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Indeed. The death penalty is abhorrent and no civilised society would feature it but sometimes a lifetime of imprisonment is clearly warranted and this would appear to be such a case.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I think Norway has pretty much the same system as The Netherlands: if any kind of psychological defect is discovered (which is extremely likely: the man clearly is a sociopath), he will be remanded to a hospital for the criminally insane and be evaluated every so often to see whather or not he's competent to serve his sentence.

I'm thinking it's unlikely he will ever leave that hospital.
    Which would be just as well.

Here we have Broadmoor which houses the criminally insane, some serious rotten eggs in there who will quite rightly never go free.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Indeed. The death penalty is abhorrent and no civilised society would feature it but sometimes a lifetime of imprisonment is clearly warranted and this would appear to be such a case.

It gives me a kind of perverse pleasure that sicko Ian Brady ( a vile notorious child murderer who's been incarcerated since the mid 1960's ) has been force fed for many years after going on hunger strike in an attempt to kill himself, he's still on drip feed today continuing his miserable life. Brady isn't that far removed from that disgusting filth Breivik, Brady also embraced Nazi ideology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It seems Breivik was inspired by the Oklahoma mass murderer, both in terms of ideology and how he made the fertilizer bomb.

Amazing to think of all the measures he went to -- years in advance -- to prepare himself for this. Buying a farm, establishing a "geofarm" which allowed him to get access to tons of fertilizer in order to make the bomb, spending 200 hours on Google to find bomb recipes, writing a 1500 page manifest, driving peacefully to Utøya (after having planted and detonated the bomb), taking a boat, calmly attracting the kids to him and then equally calmly shooting them one-by-one, as if he were inside a computer game.

It's incredibly eerie, and once again shows that the human psyche can be so much more horrible than what screenwriters or other creative, NORMAL people can ever imagine. It just goes beyond anything.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter slant

21 years is our maximum sentence, yes. I'm not sure what happens after that. I'm sure that if they still think he's a hazard to society, they'll have ways to supervise him. I'm sure this will be debated in the weeks to come. Right now, I'm more in a sad mood than one of anger.

I'm vehemently opposed to the death penalty, and am very happy we don't have that, but I'm wondering if 21 years is enough in cases such as this. I'm sure most Norwegians feel the same way these days.

Seriously? Just 22?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    This is the video he uploaded in youtube before the massacre. Disturbing to say the least. And the music collections, all from the film / game music genre (recognized knut avenstroup haugen's hyperborian score)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwp2FnR … ntrinter=1
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    Christodoulides wrote
    This is the video he uploaded in youtube before the massacre. Disturbing to say the least. And the music collections, all from the film / game music genre (recognized knut avenstroup haugen's hyperborian score)

It pains me to see such beautiful music being used in this sickening propaganda. I've seen the video once and I think there were used 3 tracks from the "Age Of Conan" soundtrack. It must be dreadful for a composer to see his music being abused in a video like this. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011
    Ranietz wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It pains me to see such beautiful music being used in this sickening propaganda. I've seen the video once and I think there were used 3 tracks from the "Age Of Conan" soundtrack. It must be dreadful for a composer to see his music being abused in a video like this. sad

Yes, and Helene Bøksle too, the female singer who adds her voice to this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    Yes, and Helene Bøksle too, the female singer who adds her voice to this.

Yeah, I forgot about her...

Edit: all the music in the video is from Age of Conan...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011 edited
    Ranietz wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Literature, films and music, though usually songs ( The Beatles 'Helter Skelter' comes to mind ) have long been a staple of mentalist head cases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011
    From cnn:

CNN has not independently confirmed that Breivik is the author of the manifesto, which bears his name and says it is intended to be circulated among sympathizers. The writer rails against Muslims and their growing presence in Europe and calls for a European civil war to overthrow governments, end multiculturalism and execute "cultural Marxists."
    It contains photographs of Breivik wearing what appears to be a military uniform that features an altered U.S. Marine Corps dress jacket with medals of the Knights Templar -- an order of Christian Crusaders who helped fight against Muslim rule of the Holy Land in the Middle Ages, but which was shut down 700 years ago.
    Breivik asked to wear a uniform to the court hearing but was not allowed to, Heger said. Heger said he ordered Breivik held in isolation for the next four weeks to ensure he has no opportunity to tamper with evidence, Heger said.

What a sick fuck.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A friend has just told me that a newspaper printed that Breivik was playing Clint Mansell's Requim For A Dream music on a loop while commiting his atrocity, he also said it was the music used in the climatic battle in Lord of The Rings confused

Can anyone confirm this and clarify it, my mate isn't very informed with film music but he may be just relating misinformed journalism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    A friend has just told me that a newspaper printed that Breivik was playing Clint Mansell's Requim For A Dream music on a loop while commiting his atrocity, he also said it was the music used in the climatic battle in Lord of The Rings confused

Can anyone confirm this and clarify it, my mate isn't very informed with film music but he may be just relating misinformed journalism.

I've not heard anything about that. All I know is the AGE OF CONAN score he used for his demented youtube video.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, well, the nazis employed Liszt's beautiful Les Préludes for SS propaganda films.
    It's not tainted the music for me.

Just saying.

The Lord Of The Rings bit (Requiem For A Dream *was* used in one of the trailers, if memory serves?) sounds in character, stylistically, as allegedly he does fancy himself a Knight Of The Holy Fail (or something), but in the end it's no difference whether it's heavy metal or Beethoven.

I'm not interested in what he was listening to, I'm not interested in what he has to say. I don't even particularly care what brought him to do it.
    I'm perfectly happy for forensic psychiatrists to take that into account.
    All I care about are his deeds. And I was gratified to see that the Norse courts ruled the initial hearings will be behind closed doors, to deny him a public podium.
    EXCELLENT!